Paradon

Is anyone other than myself hoping Paradon's father will step down and let Paradon hire himself a coach that can take him to the next level? I think with the right coach Paradon could be in the top four , a new coach will bring something new for him. I got all my stuff crossed in hopes.

it's not a bad theory goat but I dont think Parodon will ever make it to the top 4, (your number).

He's a great player and Thailand should be proud ,very proud of his achievements.

Losing his Father as a coach would be the worst result imaginable for him.

Goat, so far from your posts, I thought you understood a little bit about the Thai family structure, but maybe not.

The reason Paradorn has done so well is because of his Father, Mother, Brothers and Grandma in KK, a typical Thai attitude.

Suggest a coach that can lift him higher, take into consideration, the Thai mana

Guest chingy

agree, his father need to step down, he's robbing Paradon from moving forward, even his father himself know so, Paradon is still young and full of protential, don't wait for it to be too late.

A new coach to take him to a new level.

The operative words should be, a new coach who "can" take him to a new level.

Mental toughness is what Paradon needs and his father certainly is not the one to give that to him.

Brad Gilbert isn't available, unfortunately for Paradon. Look what Brad did for Andy Roddick in less than six months.

Paradon should certainly read Brad's book, "Playing Ugly". We have all heard the expression, "Nice guys finish last" and Paradon's "honor" of being the nicest guy on the tour, per his award from his fellow players, speaks volumes.

The foregoing is my competitive tennis side.

Now for the "new me in Thailand" side.

Hovering in the low two digit rankings for the rest of his career will certainly reward Paradon with all the material wealth he will ever need and he can keep his clear desire to be popular among his fellow professionas and keep his family harmony as well. After all, he is a tennis professional, going to work everyday to earn a living. Are we not superimposing our competitive juices onto him by suggesting he should reach a higher level.

Even if you don't agree to leave well enough alone, you certainly have to find a coach that has what Brad Gilbert has as far as teaching mental toughness. It will take a special coach indeed to transform Paradon;s mindset into what it takes mentally to be a top fiver, I just wonder if one with those special talents is available. I even question if Brad Gilbert could do it. After all, Paradon is coming from an entire different mind set and may not have the desire that Andy Roddick has to be number one.

Paradorn should cut off all his hair like Agassi did. I think it is a reverse Samson phenomenon and should be attempted by more pro athletes. He might lose his "bitchy" girlfriend but than again Brooke Shields didn't stick with Agassi forever. Maybe Paradorn could end up marrying Serena Williams and have the next Tiger Woods of the Tennis world.

it's not a bad theory goat but I dont think Parodon will ever make it to the top 4, (your number).

He's a great player and Thailand should be proud ,very proud of his achievements.

Goat, so far from your posts, I thought you understood a little bit about the Thai family structure, but maybe not.

The reason Paradorn has done so well is because of his Father, Mother, Brothers and Grandma in KK, a typical Thai attitude.

Suggest a coach that can lift him higher, take into consideration, the Thai mana

I am going to have to differ with you Bronco, I think I do indeed have a reasonable understanding of the Thai mentality and I believe that if a new coach was brought in ,sanctioned by his father I do think Paradon would improve has the tools to take him up in rankings to maybe a #4, at the moment he has lost in the first round both at Monaco and Munich and slipping further down in rankings (#13) and this is not good for his "face", I know he does not like clay but getting better on clay this is just training and practice. I am not too sure he is satisfied with his wealth today either.

You folks got me to thinking about what I posted about a new coach for Paradon so I just now phoned up three Thai friends of mine that are avid Paradon and tennis fans and ask them what they thought about Paradon needing a new coach; two said he does and one said as you did Bronco that this would be difficult in Thai society but they all three agreed that this change(if it ever came about) would have to come from his father and not Paradon which makes sense to me. I think if Paradon's rankings continue to slide as they currently are he will slip off into oblivion on the professional tennis circuit and in; and in Thailand as well, we all know how fickle Thai people are, if you are winning you can have anything you want, if you begin losing you will find yourself a has been. Look at Khaosi Galaxy et al in the Thai boxing world(Khaosai was a God here). But, all your comments are well founded and understood. Interesting stuff, thanks.

Changes Oh Changes

Making the changes are what test's a person's character. So it's not only up to his father, but what Paradon's own ambitions are. If there's the will to win he must make the change and have the final say. He can learn either way folks.

If he learns from adopting a new coach and the outcome is positive then everyone wins in the Paradon household. If the outcome in trying a new coach is poor then he will have tried and learnt something to make further appropriate changes.

I hope the families collective ideas are given due considertaion as making the change will be against him if he doesn't improve. I'm not sure at what age a tennis player reaches his prime, but let's wait and see what decision he makes.

He certainly needs to decide on changing an aspect of his game judging by his recent ranking!

Thaimee.

Changes Oh Changes

Making the changes are what test's a person's character. So it's not only up to his father, but what Paradon's own ambitions are. If there's the will to win he must make the change and have the final say. He can learn either way folks.

If he learns from adopting a new coach and the outcome is positive then everyone wins in the Paradon household. If the outcome in trying a new coach is poor then he will have tried and learnt something to make further appropriate changes.

I hope the families collective ideas are given due considertaion as making the change will be against him if he doesn't improve. I'm not sure at what age a tennis player reaches his prime, but let's wait and see what decision he makes.

He certainly needs to decide on changing an aspect of his game judging by his recent ranking!

Thaimee.

I do know that it has been suggested several times to Paradon(or at least Paradon responded) that he should consider bringing in a new coach, Paradon's rsponse(on TV) was that "We will continue as we are for now." I don't think for a minute that Paradon would even remotely suggest to his father that he needs a new coach, this would have to come from his father for sure. I personally think we will see a a new coach very soon if Paradon's rankings continue to slide, the "New" coach might be in addition to his father. I think Paradon has all the tools to be in the lower single digit rankings. BTW, I have always heard that a pro tennis player is in his/her prime at about 26 years of age, yes there are always exceptions.

Anyway, I will continue to give my support to Paradon win or lose but much prefer the winning part.

Having thought about the topic more I do remember Paradon has an issue with temprement. As you may have noticed when things aren't going his way he loses the plot and gives way to outbursts or racket tantrums!

Q: How could his fathers forsight improve Paradon's game and temprement when we all know a son looks up to his father as a role model to overcome these mind blocks?

Thaimee.

This all looks very much simular to the history of Watana.(Late 90's)

He was the new star in snooker and the whole UK and Thailand were his fans.

Not able to deal with stardom?Just not enough character?

Having thought about the topic more I do remember Paradon has an issue with temprement. As you may have noticed when things aren't going his way he loses the plot and gives way to outbursts or racket tantrums!

Q: How could his fathers forsight improve Paradon's game and temprement when we all know a son looks up to his father as a role model to overcome these mind blocks?

Thaimee.

Like one of the other members said that Paradon needs to develope mental toughness and I fully agree as do most folks. If his father hasn't given/taught him this discipline yet then it is not going to happen unless a new coach is brought in and maybe kick Paradon's butt a little. Lots of pro Tennis players get a little equipment abusive on the court sometimes and I think this is ok, shows they have spirit. I just would very much like to see Paradon do well but I am afraid he is on a downward spiral and it is very dificult to come back when one's rankings and earnings continue to fall. I am hoping as well as some of my Thai friends that there will be at least a supplemental coach show up soon.

Like one of the other members said that Paradon needs to develope mental toughness and I fully agree as do most folks. If his father hasn't given/taught him this discipline yet then it is not going to happen unless a new coach is brought in and maybe kick Paradon's butt a little. Lots of pro Tennis players get a little equipment abusive on the court sometimes and I think this is ok, shows they have spirit. I just would very much like to see Paradon do well but I am afraid he is on a downward spiral and it is very dificult to come back when one's rankings and earnings continue to fall. I am hoping as well as some of my Thai friends that there will be at least a supplemental coach show up soon.

One other tenis player who could do with a kick up his butt is our English ace Tim Henman. Then i've never given him any credit where it's due as he has concentracted on improving his mental toughness where as I always thought he could do with increasing his lean muscle mass. It may be pedantic to say an athlete should do this and that but our Timmy looks like he could put on a few pounds extra.

Where as Paradon has been lucky to be gifted his families toughness and athletic prowess from probably Chinese ancestory or is it a Thai-Chinese background? Anyway as I live in this country as a guest I will be rooting for Paradon in the future as I had done supporting Wattana knocking in that 147 score some years back.

Thaimee.

One other tenis player who could do with a kick up his butt is our English ace Tim Henman. Then i've never given him any credit where it's due as he has concentracted on improving his mental toughness where as I always thought he could do with increasing his lean muscle mass. It may be pedantic to say an athlete should do this and that but our Timmy looks like he could put on a few pounds extra.

Where as Paradon has been lucky to be gifted his families toughness and athletic prowess from probably Chinese ancestory or is it a Thai-Chinese background? Anyway as I live in this country as a guest I will be rooting for Paradon in the future as I had done supporting Wattana knocking in that 147 score some years back.

Thaimee.

On a given day Tim Henman can beat anyone, I have seen him play absolutely brilliant, but he does seem to be lacking in something and I for sure don't know what this might be.

Paradon needs a new coach ? I hear Dimir Dokic is looking for a new job :o

Seriously, I am not the world's greatest expert on tennis but can't think of any succesful father/player situations, except the Williams sisters .

Paradon needs a new coach ? I hear Dimir Dokic is looking for a new job :D

Seriously, I am not the world's greatest expert on tennis but can't think of any succesful father/player situations, except the Williams sisters .

Mr Dokic commenting on Martina Natralova's sexual orientation, said " If she was my Daughter, I would kill myself."

Martina's reply " I wish he was my father."

:D:o:D

• 2 weeks later...
. Look at Khaosi Galaxy et al in the Thai boxing world(Khaosai was a God here).

Sorry to be a pedant , but Khaosai was in fact an International Boxer as opposed to Muay Thai.

He still holds the record for longest reign as World Champion in the junior Bantamweight class (19 wins)

He retired undefeated.

Respect.

Khaosai's twin brother, Khaokor, went on to win the WBA Bantamweight Title, making the two the first twin brothers to ever win "World Titles" (Chana Porpoain and Songkram Porpoain recently became the second to do it.)

• 4 months later...

Paradorn hires German trainer

Published on Sep 28, 2004

In an effort to improve his ranking and results, Thai star Paradorn Srichaphan has hired personal trainer Alexander Stober, hoping the German physio will help him lift his game.

Paradorn, whose world ranking has slipped to No 20, revealed yesterday that Stober will take charge of his physical fitness and set out a development programme to help him regain his form.

“Under his [stober’s] guidance, I believe that I will be much fitter physically and mentally in the not-too-distant future,” said Paradorn, the No 1 Asian player who had his most consistent season in 2003, winning two ATP titles from three finals.

“Stober used to work as a trainer for many top players such as former world No 1 Pete Sampras, former German ace Michael Stich and last year’s Australian Open runnerup Rainer Schutler,” he added.

Paradorn, who was knocked out in the round of 32 in last month’s US Open, said he has not been happy with his performances this year. He form has dropped and he has sustained many nagging injuries to his shoulders and ankles.

With the German working with him, Paradorn hopes he can regain his form and come back in next seasons’ major competitions.

Stober, a former German national player from Mahlberg who stands 173cm tall and weighs 68kg, said he was happy to be working with Paradorn and promised to do his best to help improve the Thai’s performances.

“I’m looking after his physical fitness, not his game,” he said. “I confess that I’m not good at taking charge of the way he plays.

“I promise to give my best, and hope that Paradorn will soon gain in strength and form. I’m also upbeat that he will be better prepared for tougher and longer matches,” Stober added.

“Apart from his physical fitness, I have to look after his mental condition. I would like to see Paradorn from now on play with more confidence and without nervousness. Although there is a lot of pressure in any match against strong opponents, he can play cool under pressure.”

The new trainer added that after working with Paradorn for 15 days, he has had excellent cooperation from the Thai superstar.

“He is a very disciplined player. He never ignores any suggestion,” he said. “If Paradorn strictly follows my programmes stage by stage, I believe he will soon be fullyfit and ready for tough matches in the future.” :o

I was at the Thailand Open yesterday.

After the 1st match on center court, there was

a 1.5 hr opening until the Dent Gimelstob match and

Paradorn showed up to practice. He looked very good

hitting with VJ Amratraj's son.

There was a German looking fellow on the court

who was probably this new trainer.

The Williams sisters got coaching and help from several

other people besides their father and I hope that

Paradorn has or will too. Every field, especailly one so

heavily artistic (not scientific) as tennis technique, has

many different kinds of wisdom that can take a lifetime

to master. No matter how good or smart his father is,

there is much more to learn; more tactics and weapons

to be developed. And since no one knows all, advice from

other teachers can be helpful to get to the next level

of achievement.

We all hope Paradorn becomes as good as he can possibly be.

I have always thought that Paradon could be in the lower half of top 10, he is strong and his height is a plus, I agree that he should do much better with some outside help, he should have done this early last year. Not taking anything away from his father at all but keep in mind, his father is not a tennis player. This German guy is much more than a "fitness" coach but I think here in LOS they don't want to say the word "Coach", maybe make his father lose a little face if they called this new guy a coach. At any rate I am very pleased to see this happening and I will be in his corner for sure.

• 3 weeks later...