Requirements for obtaining a new American passport?

I am about to go to get a SETV in Laos, but I have noticed I only have one full page free, the back one is marked as not being acceptable for visas. I am concerned I will need to get a new passport before I go. What do I need to bring to a consulate to make one, does anyone have experience with this in Thailand? Anything to be aware of?

Everything you need to know can be found here on this page from embassy website; http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/adult_passport_renew.html

You will need to make an appointment to do the application. They will send a email when it is received that you show instead of an appointment to pick it up. Ten days seems to be the average to get one.

The wife and I renewed our U.S. passports over the last couple of years at the U.S. Bangkok Embassy and one renewal took 7 calendar days and the other 8 calendar days. But the standard estimate the embassy gives is approx two weeks. As stated in above posts you must make an application appointment online....you can't just show up one day.

This is saying 4-6 weeks to process on the form unless additional $60 'expedition' fee is paid, on top of the $110 for the passport. $195 total including the magical $25 extra that is appearing somewhere unmarked. Is that realistic?

Edited by Cheesekraft

When renewing at the Embassy per website.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/adult_passport_renew.html

3. Bring the following to the appointment:

• Form DS-82
  • Your current U.S. passport
  • Passport photo (See link for detailed requirements; an onsite photo booth is available for a fee of 150 THB.)
  • Fee of $110, payable in cash (USD or THB) or by credit card
  • OPTIONAL: If your name has changed, an original or certified marriage certificate or court order

We will notify you by email when the new passport arrives, usually in about two weeks. If you will come collect the new passport in person, then you may retain and continue using the old passport in the interim. If you would like us to mail the new passport to you, then you must leave the old passport behind for cancelation and prepay the 100 THB postage for a Thai Post “Courier Pass Back Service” envelope at the Thai Post Office located on site.

Received mine in six working days two years ago.

If the OP expects to be traveling frequently in SE Asia, where many nations use full page stickers, it might be advisable to ask for the passport with more than the normal number of pages. I forget what they call it.

52 page passports are always issued overseas,

at outreach, u give them ur old one and a self addressed envelope and pay them an extra 50 baht for ems and they will send it to you along with he old one.

got mine last feb in 12 days in Phuket

The consular outreach method is great for us upcountry dwellers. No appointment needed, lines here in Phuket very moderate, the consular gents always polite and helpful. Same cost as at Embassy, minimal fee for the EMS mailing to your house. About 8 days from their presence here to new passport delivered to my door about a year ago.

• Like 1

This is saying 4-6 weeks to process on the form unless additional $60 'expedition' fee is paid, on top of the $110 for the passport. $195 total including the magical $25 extra that is appearing somewhere unmarked. Is that realistic?

I renewed my US passport late last year at the embassy in Bangkok, and it only took about a week for me to receive my new passport without paying any fees for the expedited passport. You will also receive an option to pick-up your passport when it's ready or have it mailed to you, which of course will take a bit longer. Also, if you choose to pick-up your new passport at the embassy, you can keep your present passport. If you choose to have it mailed, you have to turn in your current passport, although it will be returned to you when you receive your new passport with a hole punched through it. I chose the former option mainly because I didn't want to be without a passport for any length of time.

You might want to call the embassy, and ask what the current wait times are for receiving your new passport. They actually do answer the citizen services phone number, and you even get to speak to a real human.

Edited by gjoo888

You can also apply for new passports at one of the ACS Outreach visits they hold around the country periodically.

No appointment needed.

If you attend a consular outreach, you can either hand over your old passport and pay to have them mail both passports to you by EMS or turn in a photocopy of the old passport ID page along with the application and they will email you when the new passport can be collected from the embassy in Bangkok. No appointment is necessary if you go to collect the new passport, but best to print out the email notice you receive.

Application can be filled out on line and printed to take with you. Make sure you bring photo exactly as described in the instruction. https://pptform.state.gov/

Complete Form DS-82 online but do not submit it electronically. Overseas applicants must PRINT the completed form and bring it to the appointment. (If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date. Use of the blank version will lengthen processing time.)

Upcoming Outreach dates

• Friday, August 5, 2016, Pattaya
  • Friday, August 19, 2016, Khon Kaen
  • Friday, August 26, 2016, Phuket
  • Friday, October 28, 2016, Pattaya
  • Friday, November 4, 2016, Udon Thani
  • Friday, November 18, 2016, Phuket
Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

OP: I am about to go to get a SETV in Laos, but I have noticed I only have one full page free, the back one is marked as not being acceptable for visas.

I had the same issue last fall. I booked a weekend in Vientiane with my wife on short notice. I had completely filled my passport (including two 28-page extensions) and had only a few scattered openings for stamps -- no whole pages for visas, and I had no time to renew my passport. I went through the visa on arrival line. The agent ascertained that I had no space for a visa. He told me to wait until everyone else was processed. He then made up a separate six-page insertable "booklet" with my picture and visa. It was ad hoc -- and slowed the immigration process way down -- but at least I didn't get turned away!

• Like 1

It is much easier in Thailand than in the USA. I got my last 3 passports here. And the last one took less than a week. Just download and fill in the form and bring it with your old passport and the photo to the US Embassy after making an online appointment.

They will not contact you. Just call them after one week. It absolutely will be ready in under 10 working days and will be dated from the day you submitted it at the embassy.

Although the outreach is great I no longer do it because of the long waiting especially in Pattaya. I did my passport renewal last year. Made my appointment, took my old one with me filled out the form and provided the picture and two weeks later went to pick it up. I basically make a field trip out of it do this also with my yearly income verification letter.

It is much easier in Thailand than in the USA. I got my last 3 passports here. And the last one took less than a week. Just download and fill in the form and bring it with your old passport and the photo to the US Embassy after making an online appointment.

They will not contact you. Just call them after one week. It absolutely will be ready in under 10 working days and will be dated from the day you submitted it at the embassy.

Dont know how you can say that. It's simple in the USA too. Just drop it off at one of the post offices that accept passport apps or mail it in.

OP how many total pages do you have in your current passport? I think they made a change to limit the max pages in a passport. You might be able to get pages added, not sure they still add pages. In that past I have had pages added in Bangkok and Vietnam and it was done while I waited, but I did hear they stopped adding pages locally and now are all sent to the USA. Your best bet is check with the US embassy they will have all the answers you are looking for, here on TV you will get mixed answers from members which some will be correct and some guessing.

Dont know how you can say that. It's simple in the USA too. Just drop it off at one of the post offices that accept passport apps or mail it in.

OP how many total pages do you have in your current passport? I think they made a change to limit the max pages in a passport. You might be able to get pages added, not sure they still add pages. In that past I have had pages added in Bangkok and Vietnam and it was done while I waited, but I did hear they stopped adding pages locally and now are all sent to the USA. Your best bet is check with the US embassy they will have all the answers you are looking for, here on TV you will get mixed answers from members which some will be correct and some guessing.

You are correct advice hear is not worth taking on board particularly that which urges a person to get extra pages !

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/add_extra_visa_pages_us_passport.html

If you check the link you will note extra pages are NOT available smile.png

Didn't feel like reading all the bad info so apologize for possible repetition.

Extra pages are no longer allowed.

You do not need to go to Bangkok, check the consular outreach schedule for a town near you.

Turn around time was 12 days a few months back (he did go to Bangkok as he was in a rush and the mailed it back to him in phuket)

You can register with the USA Embassy (State Department as well) and they will email you information including security advisories as it changes and is relevant to travelers in Thailand.

Received mine in six working days two years ago.

If the OP expects to be traveling frequently in SE Asia, where many nations use full page stickers, it might be advisable to ask for the passport with more than the normal number of pages. I forget what they call it.

Those are no longer available. Since December 2015 all US passports are issued with 52 pages. If your passport gets full you have to get a new one. I never filled one up, but I don't travel much.

Edited by Acharn

I have read that there is a new law, regulation, or stipulation that they run a check and if you owe any unpaid taxes, your new passport will be denied.

I do know of Americans in Thailand that this could be a problem for.

I wonder what happens if you apply for a new passport, it is denied and you are not in America at the time.

If I recall, the last time I applied for a new passport, I had to turn in my old passport with the application.

Does this mean you could be stuck in a foreign country with no passport at all?

I have read that there is a new law, regulation, or stipulation that they run a check and if you owe any unpaid taxes, your new passport will be denied.

I wonder what happens if you apply for a new passport, it is denied and you are not in America at the time.

If I recall, the last time I applied for a new passport, I had to turn in my old passport with the application.

Americans so caught are given a travel document only valid for a journey back to the USA !

• Like 1

You can also apply for new passports at one of the ACS Outreach visits they hold around the country periodically.

No appointment needed.

If you attend a consular outreach, you can either hand over your old passport and pay to have them mail both passports to you by EMS or turn in a photocopy of the old passport ID page along with the application and they will email you when the new passport can be collected from the embassy in Bangkok. No appointment is necessary if you go to collect the new passport, but best to print out the email notice you receive.

Application can be filled out on line and printed to take with you. Make sure you bring photo exactly as described in the instruction. https://pptform.state.gov/

Complete Form DS-82 online but do not submit it electronically. Overseas applicants must PRINT the completed form and bring it to the appointment. (If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date. Use of the blank version will lengthen processing time.)

Upcoming Outreach dates

Wish they did outreach in Korat.

There are many of us in or near Korat who would love to avoid the trip to the big mango.

Khon Kaen is no closer than BKK for us!

No such law. Or post a link if I am incorrect. Pending legislation for people convicted of large amounts of money for tax evasion.

Do not believe that is in effect yet (although believe it has been discussed) but warrants for non payment of child support and such is being checked during application and passport will not be returned or new one issued until resolved.

Do not believe that is in effect yet (although believe it has been discussed) but warrants for non payment of child support and such is being checked during application and passport will not be returned or new one issued until resolved.

Even when it goes it effect, you have to owe $50,000 in back taxes, so it not "oh, I didn't file one year" it a real willful "I'm not paying taxes, no matter what, even if I actually owe them".

It's in effect for unpaid federal taxes exceeding $50K.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2016/01/04/2016-brings-irs-power-over-passports-use-of-private-debt-collectors/#4e72e0abd19d