Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Cole fired up for final

Joe Cole believes victory in the Carling Cup final could set Chelsea on their way to more trophies this season.

Cole is desperate to be involved after injury kept him out of last season's final against Arsenal, while he is also particularly excited that Tottenham are Chelsea's opponents.

The midfielder played no part in the FA Cup match against Spurs last season that ended 3-3, and also had to watch on as Chelsea won the replay.

He expects the final at Wembley to be fiercely contested, but he is also anticipating plenty of goalmouth action.

"I expect it will be heated," said Cole. "Ever since I was a kid there has been a tense rivalry between the two clubs

"I'm really excited about the game. I missed the last two through injury and I missed the Carling Cup final as well so I'm desperate to be involved.

"It's a big game at any level but a cup final just increases it that much more. Whoever wins this one will have the bragging rights for some time to come.

"It promises to be entertaining but there will be an edge to it, that's for sure."

Chelsea have made it through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League, while they are also still in contention for the Premier League title.

But Cole insists Chelsea will be completely focused on the task in hand on Sunday as they aim for their first piece of silverware this season.

"If we could win this one it could set us up for the other trophies," he urged.

"There are only four you can win so it would be nice to get one under our belts.

"You have to try and win every one and we won't need any incentives to come out on top in this one."

Grant tight-lipped over selection

Chelsea manager Avram Grant has refused to be drawn on his selection policy ahead of the Carling Cup final against Tottenham on Sunday.

Reports have suggested that the Israeli might not pick Frank Lampard and John Terry at Wembley, despite their return from injury in the FA Cup last weekend.

But Grant told BBC Sport: "I'm the boss and the nature of my job is that there are hard situations and decisions.

"I need to consider what's best for the club - long term and short term."

He added: "Sometimes there is rotation, but I don't think that is the way. Sometimes you prefer certain players or you think they cannot play after injury.

"But this is not just about Frank and John, we have a lot of good players and, at the end of the day, I am the boss. I can only play 11 players."

Sunday's final sees Grant match up against Spurs boss Juande Ramos, whom the Israeli believes is turning Tottenham around.

"I think Juande is a great coach and a great person," he said. "He has a lot of knowledge of football and he has been a big success at Tottenham so far - it's not easy to play against them."

However, Grant brushed off suggestions that despite an impressive start to his reign, Sunday represents a massive opportunity for him to win over any Chelsea fans who are still hurting from the departure of his predecessor Jose Mourinho.

Asked if the final was the biggest match of his managerial career, Grant said: "I don't know if this is the biggest game - I don't want to compare it - but this is an exciting game.

"I'm not worried about me for Sunday - a win would be good for the club and it's good for the fans, simple as that."

Ramos, meanwhile, refused to dwell on Tottenham's poor performance in the 1-1 draw against Slavia Prague in the Uefa Cup on Thursday, and insisted his side could upset the odds at Wembley.

"The truth is if we play like we did against Slavia, then we are not going to win very often and we'll certainly have to improve to be able to beat Chelsea," said the Spaniard.

"We know Chelsea are a good team and probably go into the final as favourites because they are higher up in the league table as us.

"But every game is different and anything can happen in football. It would be absolutely magnificent to win a cup, it'd bring tremendous happiness to the club - who need a trophy."

As for his own selection dilemma, Ramos admitted he was still sweating on the fitness of captain Ledley King, who has not played since the semi-final win over Arsenal.

"I'd like him to always play, but his condition has not allowed it," said Ramos.

Don't get me wrong I love Chelsea but the Yids wanted it more than we did.

Grant pained by Chelsea cup loss

Chelsea boss Avram Grant has told his players to get over their Carling Cup final loss and re-focus on the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup.

"It was very painful," said Grant after the 2-1 defeat by Tottenham at Wembley. "It is not a good feeling.

"The players are disappointed because we have come a long way to get to the final and we are proud to get here.

"But we still have the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup so we must now focus on them."

Grant questioned the award of a penalty to Spurs when Wayne Bridge was penalised for handball and Dimitar Berbatov slotted in the spot-kick to level.

Tottenham's winner came when Jonathan Woodgate was allowed to head in unmarked, although he was helped by keeper Petr Cech coming out of his goal and punching the ball against him and into the net.

"We led 1-0 and then until the second half there were no chances for either side. We had dominated more in the game and then came the decision about the penalty," said Grant.

"He touched the ball with his hand but I do not think it was deliberate. I don't think it was the referee's decision as he played on but it was the assistant.

"The penalty put them back in the game and that turned the match. The second goal was from a set-piece so we are disappointed."

He added: "It was always going to be close because cup finals are like this and it was not a great performance from both teams.

"We tried to score a goal and keep it tight but we lost."

Referee Mark Halsey blew for full-time in the midst of a Chelsea attack with Salomon Kalou going on to hit the post after Tottenham players had stopped playing.

"I have never seen such a thing in my life and I have never before seen the referee finish a match when this situation is happening," said Grant.

"Also in extra-time it was not a proper football match with all the stoppages."

Edited by Seapok

Terry backs Grant over final team

Chelsea captain John Terry has given his support to manager Avram Grant over his Carling Cup team selection policy.

Reports have suggested some players are upset by Grant's choices for Sunday's 2-1 defeat by Tottenham - and the way they were communicated to the squad.

But Terry insisted: "The manager keeps it very close to his chest. That is how it has been in every game.

"That is the way it has got to be. It keeps everyone on their toes - and as players, we have to deal with it."

Chelsea were beaten by a Jonathan Woodgate header in extra-time as Spurs won their first trophy since 1999.

Terry admitted defeat was hard to take but quickly pointed to the Blues' chances of securing silverware elsewhere this season, and issued a rallying cry to his team-mates.

He added: "We are still in three massive competitions. The Premier League is not over. We go away to West Ham next week, then we have the Champions League and FA Cup after that.

"We can do one of two things - we can dwell on it and get knocked out of another competition, or we take this defeat and pick ourselves up and go again.

"The determination and will to win is still there. We hate losing in training, in small games and big games.

"There are a lot of big teams still to come to Stamford Bridge, and we will see after that."

Germany captain Michael Ballack has also said players have to accept it when they are not picked.

Ballack, who has been in good form in recent weeks, started Sunday's final on the bench, only coming on later as Chelsea chased the game.

He said: "I have to accept it, like everyone else who was not playing.

"It was a decision from the coach. The team sheet was put up before the game - and that was it."

And the midfielder echoed Terry's thoughts that Chelsea must put their disappointment behind them and concentrate on what lies ahead.

"We have to keep going in other competitions, because we are still a strong team with chances to win things," said Ballack.

"We have to start again. You want to win every trophy. We've lost one - and now we need to go for the others."

Ten Cate admits 'F-Word' row

Henk ten Cate admits he experienced an 'F-word' row with Chelsea captain John Terry prior to the Carling Cup final.

The Dutch coach, who joined Chelsea manager Avram Grant's backroom staff in October after leaving Ajax, has confirmed reports he endured a training ground bust-up with Terry.

Ten Cate confesses that he and Terry had a difference of opinion regarding the 'intensity' of a Blues training session in the build-up to Sunday's 2-1 Wembley defeat to Tottenham.

The loss has heaped pressure on Chelsea's managerial staff and Ten Cate's confirmation of the dispute with club skipper Terry will not help the cause.

However, Ten Cate insists the falling out will have no lasting impact and that he and Terry 'get on well'.

"We are both kind of emotional, but we respect each other fully," Ten Cate told The Sun.

"We just had a discussion about the intensity of the training session. That's a normal part of the game. There have been a few F-words, no doubt. But that's common in England."

Grant's team selection policy at the weekend has been questioned after Chelsea stars Joe Cole and Michael Ballack began the game on the bench.

And Ten Cate has confirmed that there was a tension in the Blues' camp before the final.

"There was a special tension on Saturday," Ten Cate is quoted as saying on Dutch newspaper AD's website.

"We have 27 players and three keepers but only a few of them could play.

"John wanted to have even more intensity in training but I didn't agree as we were just one day before the match. That was all. Me and John get on well. John won't disagree."

Pressure mounts on Grant

Avram Grant's future as manager of Chelsea has been cast into further doubt after the Blues boss failed to attend a Uefa coaching seminar in Israel.

Grant has enrolled in a 10-class Uefa Pro Licence course in order to obtain the qualifications he requires to continue coaching in the Premier League and UEFA Champions League.

However, the Stamford Bridge boss recently missed one of the sessions because he was 'too busy' and the Israel Coaches Association (ICA) say Grant is in danger of being kicked off the course.

Amnon Raz, chairman of the ICA, said: "Avram Grant rang me on Monday morning and said, 'I can't come because I have too many things to do at Chelsea'.

"I believe he will catch up on the lessons he has missed but all the coaches know that they have to come to 70 per cent of the programme.

"If Avram Grant misses too many more he will be treated like everybody else who fails to turn up.

"He will be out of the programme and, for sure, he will not get his Pro Licence."

Grant is already under pressure after Sunday's 2-1 Carling Cup final defeat to Tottenham was followed by confirmation that coaching assistant Henk ten Cate experienced a furious 'F-word' bust-up with club captain John Terry prior to the Wembley setback.

A number of Chelsea's stars - including the likes of Joe Cole and Michael Ballack - are also said to be unhappy following their omission from the starting line-up at the weekend.

Third-placed Chelsea remain in the Premier League title race and are due to face Barnsley in the FA Cup quarter-finals, while the Blues can also progress to the last eight of the Champions League if they defeat Olympiakos at home on 5th March following a 0-0 first-leg draw in Greece.

However, Grant's future is rumoured to be in jeopardy, despite Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich appearing at the club's training ground on Tuesday to talk to the Blues squad.

Abramovich's appearance at the club's Surrey training base is believed to have been a sign of support, but speculation is rife that Grant faces a battle to maintain his job at the end of the season.

Well,it had to happen sometime,I suppose.The media have been lying in wait for the slightest slip up in Avram Grants reign and now,after a draw in Greece and a loss in the Carling Cup,they're coming up with the weakest snippets of scandal you could imagine.Henk Ten Kate and John Terry using the 'f' word in a training session(gosh!) and Grant missing one Uefa coaching seminar in ISRAEL!Thats it lads,the Chelsea empire is crumbling.

Ferguson wary of Chelsea threat

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson remains wary of the threat posed by Chelsea in the race for the Premier League title.

The Blues are nine points adrift of leaders Arsenal and six behind United but have a game in hand.

Plus, Chelsea still have to play both teams at home and Ferguson insists the title race remains a three-horse race.

"The number of points Chelsea are behind Arsenal is not insurmountable as points can be dropped," he said.

"The fact that they have got us and Arsenal at home, and their home record is so good, you would have to think they have still got a big chance in the Premier League."

Chelsea finished as runners-up to Ferguson's side in the top flight last season after winning the crown for two successive seasons.

But the United boss believes Chelsea would be happier winning the Champions League rather than adding to their Premier League title count.

"I think that is what they are really after, given owner Roman Abramovich's contribution to their rise in the last few years," added Ferguson.

Terry pledges future to Chelsea

Chelsea skipper John Terry has revealed he wants to stay at the club for the rest of his career.

He was an unused substitute against Olympiakos in the Champions League and was unsure of his place in the Carling Cup final before being given a start.

But the England defender said: "I can't see myself leaving. I love the club and I am so passionate about Chelsea."

Terry, 27, had a recent training ground row with coach Henk ten Cate but added: "I just want Chelsea to succeed."

The incident happened in the week prior to Chelsea's Carling Cup defeat by Tottenham.

It had been widely reported in the build-up to the final that manager Avram Grant would leave Terry and midfielder Frank Lampard on the bench.

Both were eventually selected for the match but Terry, who signed a new contract last summer, acknowledged he cannot take his place for granted.

Terry missed two months of the season after breaking his foot playing against Arsenal on 16 December.

"There are so many world-class players and seeing how well Ricardo Carvalho, Tal Ben-Haim and Alex are doing makes me want to get back and train, and prove myself again," he revealed.

"It's horrible because you read things where people think they can walk back in the team and I certainly haven't thought that.

"I've watched games and seen two players playing so well together so I had to work my socks off.

"It's not down to me or anybody else to pick the team, it's down to the manager and thankfully he's seen enough to put me in."

Chelsea are still in the hunt in three competitions.

The Blues are third in the Premier League, having reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, and play the second leg of their Champions League tie against Olympiakos on Wednesday.

And Terry has urged his team-mates to use the defeat against London rivals Spurs as a motivating factor through the remaining weeks of the reason.

"It's hard to take any defeat, let alone a final," stated Terry. "It is the worst time to lose but we have to pick ourselves up.

"The Premier League is still close and we have a great chance in the Champions League and FA Cup, which is our trophy so we need to stay positive.

"Over the last three or four years we've got into a mode where we've been dominating things and we've been in the final stages and had a taste of success.

"Having that taste of defeat is not a nice feeling to have and there are things out there we can win, like the Champions League that we still haven't won."

Central defender Terry joined Chelsea as a trainee in 1997 and, apart from a loan spell with Nottingham Forest, has played his entire career with the Blues.

West Ham v Chelsea

Upton Park

Saturday, 1 March

Kick-off: 1500 GMT

BBC coverage: Live on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

West Ham striker Bobby Zamora is a doubt after suffering a blow to his knee in a reserve game and Lee Bowyer and Matthew Etherington are still out.

Henri Camara is in contention to feature, as is promising England Under-19 striker Freddie Sears.

Chelsea have no new injury or suspension problems ahead of the trip to Upton Park, with Andriy Shevchenko included in the Blues squad.

Scott Sinclair has moved on loan to Charlton and will not feature.

West Ham (from): Green, Wright, Pantsil, Neill, Spector, Upson, Ferdinand, McCartney, Faubert, Ljungberg, Noble, Mullins, Solano, Boa Morte, Cole, Ashton, Camara, Sears.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Ben-Haim, A Cole, Bridge, Lampard, Makelele, Essien, Sidwell, Obi, Malouda, Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Kalou, J Cole, Ballack, Anelka.

"It's a bonus for a midfielder to score but the priority is the strikers. They are in better positions.

"We need to create more chances. We can't carry on creating two or three a game, we need to do much better."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

This is the 17th London top-flight derby of the season between the two clubs whose Premier League games have yielded the lowest numbers of goals.

West Ham are comfortably encamped in the top half, seeking their first back-to-back victories in 21 Premier League outings.

Chelsea take the field for the first time since losing the Carling Cup final to Tottenham on Sunday, eager to extend their nine-match unbeaten league run that's left them six points behind the top two and nine points off the pace.

The now triple-chasing Blues have won three more away league games this term, than West Ham have managed at home (eight to five).

Chelsea are attempting to beat West Ham for the sixth successive time in the Premier League.

CLUB FORM

WEST HAM UNITED

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 9th

Lowest could fall: 10th

All statistics and sequences refer to the Premier League only, unless otherwise stated.

1. Won three of the last six.

2. Lost one of six; 1-0, against Wigan at the JJB Stadium on 2 February.

3. The current tally of 40 points is twice as many as were accumulated after 26 games last season.

4. Their 26 games have produced fewer goals than any other club; 54 (31 for, 23 against) at 2.08 per game.

5. Not registered successive league victories since beating Reading (0-3 away) and Middlesbrough (3-0 at home) on 1 and 15 September respectively.

6. Not lost any matches in which they took the lead, but drawn five.

7. Unbeaten in five home league games; won three and drawn two since losing 0-2 to Everton on 15 December.

8. Won the last two London Premier League derbies, both against Fulham, after just one victory in the previous 12. (Chelsea have won three, drawn one and lost one of their five this season).

9. Away to Liverpool and Tottenham after this, then home to Blackburn, before a visit to Everton and a long trip to Sunderland at the end of March.

CHELSEA

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 3rd

Lowest could fall: 3rd

All statistics and sequences refer to the Premier League only, unless otherwise stated.

1. Defeat in the Carling Cup final ended a 16-match undefeated sequence (all competitions).

2. Won six and drawn three of the last nine, since losing 1-0, away to Arsenal on 16 December - their only reverse in 19. They have lost two of 20 under Avram Grant, but are still two points down on last season's total to this same stage.

3. Won 16 matches; only Manchester United and Arsenal have won more (19 each). Also, dropped 23 points in the top division; only Arsenal (17) and Manchester United (20) have dropped fewer.

4. Three goals short of conceding 600 all-time in this league. Let in 17 goals at one every 138 minutes (two hours 18 minutes) on average; only Manchester United have shipped fewer (15).

5. Kept 15 clean sheets in the highest league; only the Red Devils match that. Also, managed shut-outs in four of the last five, a period in which only one goal has been shipped.

6. Already equalled the number of league defeats last season (three); and the number of times the opening goal has been conceded (eight). Also failed to score in two more games than last term (six this season, four in the whole of 2006-07).

7. The goalless draw against Liverpool at Stamford Bridge in the most recent game on 10 February was the first time they had failed to score in nine.

8. Gained 10 points from a last possible 12 on the road since losing 1-0 at Arsenal on 16 December. Their four match unbeaten spell away from home is the longest current sequence by any club on their travels.

9. One defeat shy of 100 away from home all-time in this league. Three goals short of 400 scored on the road, and three shy of 350 shipped away from home.

10. Next the Champions League tie with Olympiakos continues with the Stamford Bridge leg on Wednesday, the sides standing at 0-0 after the opening match in Greece. Then it's away to Barnsley in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup. League fixtures for the rest of the month involve a home clash with Derby, a trip to Sunderland, two more London derbies away to Tottenham and home to Arsenal, and a further home match against Middlesbrough.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

WEST HAM UNITED

Dean ASHTON is West Ham's top scorer with six goals.

ASHTON is also the Hammers' top Premier League marksmen with five.

The club's Premier League goalscorers list is predominately comprised of English players (eight of 12).

Matthew UPSON and Robert GREEN are the only remaining players to have been on the field for every minute of every one of West Ham's Premier League matches this season. The Hammers are the only club to have as many as two genuine ever-presents remaining in this Premier League campaign.

Lee BOWYER is a double shy of 50 career Premier League goals (Leeds, Newcastle and West Ham).

Nol SOLANO needs a double to total 50 Premier League goals (Newcastle, Aston Villa and West Ham).

Fredrik LJUNGBERG is three shy of 50 Premier League goals (Arsenal and West Ham).

If selected:-

James COLLINS will be making his 100th career league appearance (Cardiff and West Ham).

Mark NOBLE will be making his 50th league appearance in a West Ham shirt.

Jonathan SPECTOR will be playing on this 22nd birthday.

CARLTON COLE will be facing the club where he started his professional career. The 24 year old forward made 32 appearances (25 in the league) and scored eight goals (four league) before signing for the Hammers in July 2006.

Scott PARKER will be playing against a former club. The 27 year old England international made 28 appearances (15 in the league) and scored one league goal for Chelsea between January 2004 and June 2005.

If on the field from the outset:-

Luis BOA MORTE will be making his 200th English league start (Arsenal, Southampton, Fulham and West Ham).

CHELSEA

Nicolas ANELKA is the highest scoring player in the Chelsea squad with 13 goals, but 11 of those were for Bolton.

Frank LAMPARD is the top scorer of Chelsea goals with 11.

DROGBA, LAMPARD and Salomon KALOU are the clubs' joint leading marksmen in the Premier League, with five goals each. (ANELKA scored 10 for Bolton and has got one for Chelsea.)

DROGBA is a hat-trick short of 50 Premier League goals in Chelsea colours.

If selected:-

Shaun WRIGHT-PHILLIPS will be making his 300th club career appearance (Manchester City and Chelsea).

LAMPARD will be facing a former club. The 29 year old England international was a West Ham trainee, making 187 appearances (148 in the league) and scoring 37 goals (23 league) for them before his £11m move to Stamford Bridge in June 2001.

JOE COLE will also will be facing former team mates. The 26 year old England international similarly started his career with the Hammers, making 149 appearances (126 in the league) and scoring 13 goals (10 league) before his £6.6m move across the capital in August 2003.

HEAD TO HEAD

West Ham have not prized any Premier League points off Chelsea since beating them 1-0 at Upton Park on 3 May 2003, when substitute Paolo Di Canio scored the winner.

Chelsea are looking to do the double over the Hammers for the fourth time in the Premier League and the third in successive attempts.

West Ham were one of eight clubs Chelsea achieved the double over last season; Chelsea were one of six to do the double over the Hammers.

Home and away

League (inc PL): West Ham 34 wins, Chelsea 30, Draws 15

Prem: West Ham 9 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 3

at West Ham only

League (inc PL): West Ham 22 wins, Chelsea 10, Draws 7

Prem: West Ham 5 wins, Chelsea 5, Draws 2

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

West Ham United 1-4 Chelsea

18 April 2007 - Ref: Mike Dean

West Ham scorer: Tevez 35

Chelsea scorers: Wright-Phillips 31, 36, Kalou 52, Drogba 62

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 1-0 West Ham United

1 December 2007 - Ref: Howard Webb

Chelsea scorer: Joe Cole 76

REFEREE

Peter Walton (Northamptonshire)

Another great win against the lowly Hammers!

West Ham 0-4 Chelsea

Chelsea had Frank Lampard red-carded but romped to victory at West Ham.

Lampard's penalty after Salomon Kalou was fouled by Anton Ferdinand put his side ahead before Joe Cole angled in a precise shot for Chelsea's second.

Michael Ballack expertly half-volleyed in a third for the visitors, who had Lampard harshly red-carded for a push on Luis Boa Morte after 36 minutes.

Carlton Cole had a shot cleared off the line for West Ham but Ashley Cole's acute shot wrapped up Chelsea's win.

Blues boss Avram Grant had taken a swipe at the media in the run-up to the game, angry at negative coverage following the Carling Cup final loss to Tottenham.

And he showed little mercy with his team selection either as he made six changes to the starting XI.

The Blues should have been a goal up after two minutes when Nicolas Anelka had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

The Frenchman thought he had scored when he slotted home after John Terry's header had been parried.

But Chelsea did not have long to wait to take the lead, with Hammers centre-back Ferdinand conceding a penalty for a trip on Kalou.

Lampard stepped up to send Robert Green the wrong way for the first of three Chelsea goals in the space five minutes.

Joe Cole added a second, showing fine control before firing a shot into the far corner of the net, before Ballack lashed home a low shot after being picked out by a Lampard cross.

Chelsea had virtually sealed victory over the Hammers with just 22 minutes on the clock, showing more fluency and attacking flair than in 120 minutes of action against Spurs.

The home side did manage to test Petr Cech, the goalkeeper tipping over a Mark Noble shot.

But Chelsea remained untroubled, even after Lampard was red-carded.

The midfielder tangled on the ground with Boa Morte and then pushed the winger after appearing to get caught by a kick.

Referee Peter Walton consulted his assistant before brandishing his red card and then booked Ballack for his part in the melee that ensued.

Another Noble strike was headed away as the home side tried to capitalise on their numerical advantage, but Chelsea held out until half-time.

West Ham struggled to create chances, but Carlton Cole must have thought he had scored when he dinked the ball over the on-rushing Cech only for Terry to clear off the line.

Ashley Cole then made it 4-0 when he sidefooted home from a tight angle after Joe Cole's shot had been parried.

The goal was the sign for Hammers fans to start trudging for the exit, their team emphatically beaten.

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley:

"It's a really bad day for us and we feel dreadfully disappointed for us and the fans.

"My players have done fantastically well this season. We have had major injury problems. I'm not going to criticise them."

On the red card he said: "I did see Frank push out but it was a soft dismissal."

Chelsea boss Avram Grant:

"We will do everything to do it (win the title). I never give in and I will not start now at my age.

"We started very well and if it was not a red card maybe the score would have been higher.

"I am very happy. The players showed fighting spirit and passion."

West Ham: Green, Neill, Ferdinand, Upson, McCartney, Faubert (Solano 66), Noble, Mullins, Ljungberg, Boa Morte (Ashton 46), Cole (Zamora 65). Subs Not Used: Wright, Spector.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ballack, Makelele (Alex 84), Lampard, Kalou (Malouda 75), Anelka, Joe Cole (Essien 69). Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Drogba.

Sent Off: Lampard (36).

Booked: Ballack, Terry.

Goals: Lampard 17 pen, Joe Cole 20, Ballack 22, Ashley Cole 64.

Att: 34,969

Ref: Peter Walton (Northamptonshire).

Edited by Seapok

Terry insists Blues back on track

Chelsea captain John Terry believes the club's Carling Cup final defeat to Tottenham Hotspur last weekend has enabled the team to forge a new bond.

Terry and first-team coach Henk ten Cate had a training ground spat prior to the final, while the media focus has also angered Blues coach Avram Grant.

But Chelsea returned to winning ways on Saturday, beating West Ham 4-0 away.

"We've reacted to what has been said in the papers and reacted in a positive way and that's the only way the players can by doing it on the pitch.

"At every club things go on behind the scenes and nobody knows the full details.

"Things happen and things are sorted out very quickly and if not they drag on and disturb players and performances at the club.

"That's not the situation at Chelsea. The lads, the fans and the manager are all fighting to move Chelsea forward."

Chelsea had Frank Lampard, who scored the first goal on Saturday against his old club from a penalty, sent off just before the interval, but by then Grant's side were 3-0 up.

Despite being a man short, Chelsea extended their lead in the second half.

And Terry believes Chelsea, who are seven points behind leaders Arsenal, but with a game in hand, still have a chance of winning their third Premier League title in four years.

"We have to keep believing," said Terry. "Arsenal slipped up on Saturday against Aston Villa. Any time they slip up we have to make sure we are there to pick up the three points.

"We're still in three competitions and we've still got a very good chance."

Great performance with Ballack running the show.We always seemed to be a threat going forward with Kalou having an excellent game against a leaden footed McCarthy.Our 'feeder club' have quite a few players who are devoid of real pace,except for Faubert,which suited us as we were able to retain control of the ball even if the first touch wasn't perfect.Avram Grant made 6 changes from the Carling Cup loss,He rotated his squad leaving out front line players like Drogba and Essien.Chelsea won because the players that came in responded to the challenge.There's nothing wrong with a rotation policy if youv'e got the ammunition and,the most important thing,they respond.Perfect reply to the media 'judges' digging for non existent dirt.

Cole happy at the Bridge

Joe Cole insists he is happy at Chelsea after reports linked him with a move away from the club.

The England international was surprisingly omitted from the Chelsea side for their Carling Cup final defeat to Tottenham.

Cole, amongst others, was understood to be unhappy with his treatment - but he responded in great fashion at the weekend as he inspired The Blues to a 4-0 thrashing of his former club West Ham at Upton Park.

Speaking after the comprehensive win on his former stomping ground, Cole insisted he was happy as a Blue.

"I don't get too much involved with all the dramas around the club," he told The Sun.

"My job as a player is to try and perform as best as I can when selected.

"I played and made a contribution so I am happy with that and happy we got the right result.

"The right performances and the right attitude were all there for everyone to see so it was a great response.

"It was a great response, not just from the players who played, but from everyone at the club.

"We have had a good week to take it all in and we have put in a good performance. The run-in has started and it is a good time to come into form."

Lampard calls for Chelsea caution

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has called for caution ahead of the Champions League last-16, second leg tie against Olympiakos on Wednesday.

The Blues are favourites to progress after a 0-0 draw a fortnight ago.

But Lampard said: "I think they will be a danger to us at Chelsea. The game is difficult and it is not over yet.

Lampard believes Chelsea did not make the most of the opportunities in Greece and does not want his team to pay the price for not scoring an away goal.

He added: "The 0-0 was a decent result but it was a great opportunity to go and get an away goal. We didn't threaten as much as we could have done.

"It would have helped up to have scored an away goal but we didn't get that, so we have to make sure that we are very concentrated at home."

Manager Avram Grant says he is not worried about the prospect of losing - even though it could potentially cost him his job at Chelsea.

"I don't know if you know but life in football today is a lot of pressure," added Grant.

"I think it is good because when you are in a big club it pushes you always to achieve the best things. I think it is good pressure. I like it personally.

"I don't like to answer questions about what happens if we lose, let's wait and see but if we don't qualify, I know what you will all say."

Grant admits Chelsea must start reaching major European finals in order to be called one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

"We haven't reached the final before and as a good team that wants to be bigger we need to be in the final of the Champions League," added the Israeli.

"It is not easy because there are many good clubs but this is our priority.

"The players are experienced in this kind of stage but we said from the beginning that our target was to succeed in the Champions League."

Chelsea v Olympiakos

Venue: Stamford Bridge

Date: Weds 5 Mar

Round: Last 16

Kick-off: 1945 GMT

BBC coverage: BBC Radio 5 Live

First leg: 0-0

Chelsea manager Avram Grant must decide whether to recall midfielder Michael Essien and striker Didier Drogba for their crucial Champions League tie.

The Blues go into Wednesday's last 16 second leg against Olympiakos after a scoreless first leg in Greece.

If Essien and Drogba play, Claude Makelele and Nicolas Anelka are the two players most likely to make way.

Olympiakos striker Lomano LuaLua has a dislocated shoulder, while winger Luciano Galletti has a thigh strain.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, A Cole, Carvalho, Bridge, Ferreira, Ben Haim, Terry, Alex, Belletti, Makelele, Essien, Lampard, J Cole, Mikel, Ballack, Malouda, Wright-Phillips, Shevchenko, Drogba, Kalou, Anelka.

BIG MATCH STATS

Head-to-heads

This will be the second meeting between Chelsea and Olympiakos in European competition, following the goalless draw in the first leg.

European history

Chelsea's biggest successes in European competition are their two Cup Winners' Cup victories. They won the trophy in 1971 and 1998. They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. In the Champions League, the Londoners have reached the semi-finals three times, in 2004, 2005 and 2007, and have been eliminated once in their four appearances at this knockout stage (by Barcelona in 2005-06).

This is the first time since 1998-99 that Olympiakos have successfully negotiated the CL group phase. Their best ever result in the Champions League is reaching the quarter-finals in 1998-99 when they were eliminated by Juventus. The Greek club also reached the quarter-finals of the 1992-93 Cup Winners' Cup.

Current European form

Chelsea are unbeaten in seven CL matches (three wins, four draws). They join Barcelona and Manchester United as the only unbeaten sides in the 2007-08 Champions League. Their last CL defeat dates back to 1 May 2007 (1-0 at Liverpool). The Blues are unbeaten in nine successive CL home matches since defeat to Barcelona on 22 February 2006.

Olympiakos are unbeaten in four successive CL matches. Their sole defeat in this CL season came on 24 October 2007 at Real Madrid (4-2).

Chelsea have kept a clean sheet in each of their last five CL matches, and have conceded only two goals in seven, which makes the Stamford Bridge clubs' defence the best so far in the 2007-08 CL season.

Player and disciplinary info

Cristian Ledesma, Paraskevas Antzas and Christos Patsatzoglou (Olympiakos) and Michael Essien (Chelsea) will be suspended if booked.

Essien has started all seven of Chelsea's CL matches this season; Ierokolis Stoltidis and Antonis Nikopolidis are yet to miss a minute of Olympiakos ' CL campaign this season.

Olympiakos goalkeeper Antonis Nikopolidis can break the Greek record of 52 CL appearances. He now shares the record with Georgios Anatolakis, who played 52 CL matches for Olympiacos between 1997 and 2006.

Other miscellaneous facts

Chelsea are six goals shy of scoring 100 in the Champions League.

Avram Grant's side comfortably beat West Ham United (0-4) in the Premier League on Saturday to stay third in the table, seven points behind leaders Arsenal, with a game in hand.

Olympiakos drew 1-1 with Asteras Tripolis on Saturday, and are second in the Greek League table, one point behind Panathinaikos. They have lost only two matches in all competitions this season (the 4-2 away defeat at Real Madrid in the Champions League and 1-0 away league loss at Asteras Tripolis).

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Nice result last night, the early goals really put the game to bed quickly.

Grant delight at 'mature' Chelsea

Avram Grant hailed Chelsea's intelligent approach as they cruised into the last eight of the Champions League with victory over Olympiakos.

Chelsea boss Grant said after the 3-0 win: "The team was patient, held the ball most of the time and were quick when needed. It was clever football.

"I'm happy of course. We won, we are in the next round and played good football. The team was very mature.

"We knew Olympiakos always score away so we knew they were very dangerous."

And Grant feels his team have recovered well from their much-criticised display in the Carling Cup final defeat against Spurs.

He said: "I have confidence in my team. From day one I have had full confidence in the team, even though most of the people didn't believe we would have a good year.

"So far it has been a good development and that pleases me more than the results.

"We know it was a bad day in the League Cup final. We were only team from the big four to make the final. We showed since then character and good attitude. That is what is important. It's what I like."

Olympiakos coach Takis Lemonis said his team lost the match in the opening minutes.

He said: "After what I said yesterday about not conceding in the first 20 minutes, we conceded. There wasn't any lack of concentration, but you cannot give such a team such a start."

Jose - I still love Chelsea

Jose Mourinho has contacted Sky Sports News in a bid to ward off a possible war of words with former club Chelsea.

The charismatic and colourful Portuguese gave an interview earlier in the day when he said he would be out to 'kill' the Stamford Bridge side if he came up against them in the UEFA Champions League.

Mourinho, who has been out of the game since his exit from the Premier League giants in September, is keen to return to management next season, with Italy or Spain the most likely destinations.

And he initially said: "If I play them (Chelsea) in the Champions League, I want to go there and kill them - that's my message."

But the former Porto boss has since been in touch with Sky Sports News via text message to clarify his comments.

He said: "(I meant kill) in a good way, funny way. I told them I love them and want them to succeed, but if I play them one day... I want to win."

Mourinho enjoyed great success during his stint with the London club, claiming back-to-back Premier League titles, the FA Cup and two League Cups.

He remains a hugely-popular figure with the Stamford Bridge faithful after helping the club to their first league title in 50 years.

Terry - underdog tag suits us

John Terry is happy with Arsenal and Manchester United being in the limelight at this stage of the season and feels Chelsea can take advantage of their new underdog status.

United have been in hot pursuit of Arsenal in the Premier League, while Arsene Wenger's men have taken the plaudits in the UEFA Champions League this week following their epic win against AC Milan.

Chelsea are only seven points off the pace and have to play their title rivals at Stamford Bridge, where they have not lost for two years in league action.

They also eased into the quarter-finals of the Champions League with victory over Olympiacos this week and they face Barnsley on Saturday in the FA Cup.

However, there has been little talk of a treble since the Carling Cup final defeat to Tottenham at Wembley.

"We like it that way," said skipper Terry.

"A few people are slowly mentioning us but we are out of the way at the minute and hopefully we can stay that way as long as possible until the end and then can put some pressure on.

"If we can keep winning and putting pressure on that's all we can do."

Terry wanted a response after the Spurs defeat and Chelsea have produced convincing victories over West Ham and Olympiacos.

"The will to win and succeed is clearly enough," he added.

"When things are written questioning the players, the club or anyone else it does get your back up. I won't lie and say that it doesn't.

"The only way we can change that is to put in performances like against West Ham and Olympiacos and put pressure on teams and show what type of footballing side we really are.

"It is easy to say a week or so after the final that you can look at it and take it as a learning curve. In the first few days you don't accept that.

"Looking at the Tottenham game it was a big learning curve and hopefully that will do us well until the end of the season. We have a lot of big games coming up and we need to be better than the other teams around us."

I want my Chelsea job back

JOSE MOURINHO has opened the door for a sensational Chelsea return by admitting: “I’d love to be manager again.”

The Special One insists relations with Red Rom are friendly and they spoke last week.

Asked if he would go back, he said: “Yes, why not. I would love to do that, of course, of course.

"I was speaking to Mr Roman Abramovich and Peter Kenyon on the phone last week as we keep in touch.

“I was telling them I wished them always good things, that I wished them always to succeed and I wished them always to win.

"But we talked mostly about family and friends and our lives.

“We have friendly relations — It always was. The reality is my leaving was a mutual agreement.

"We are happy to talk to each other. One day back to Chelsea, why not?

“I still feel Chelsea is part of me. I have Chelsea in my heart forever and I wish them only good things.

“I have been gone for five months and you wouldn’t get a bad word from me.”

Blues fans would welcome back Mourinho with open arms as they have never taken to his replacement, Avram Grant.

And he played down a link to Liverpool by saying: “I wouldn’t feel very comfortable coming back and working with another club after Chelsea.”

Barnsley v Chelsea

Oakwell Ground

Saturday 8 March

Sixth Round

Kick-off: 1730 GMT

Referee: Steve Bennett (Kent)

Replay: Wed 19 March, 1945 GMT

BBC coverage: LIVE on BBC One, BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

Barnsley will be without cup-tied duo Jon Macken and Lewis Nytanga for their FA Cup clash with Chelsea.

Marciano Van Homoet is a doubt with a slight ankle problem, while Heniz Muller, Anderson de Silva and Paul Reid (all knee) remain sidelined.

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech has been ruled out as his ankle injury is expected to sideline him for at least another week.

Barnsley manager Simon Davey:

"Anything's possible. We've already beaten Liverpool at Anfield, so why can't we beat Chelsea at Oakwell?

"Chelsea are world-class and on a different planet compared to what we are used to.

"But my players have a belief that every time they take to the football pitch they can win."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant:

"We've showed good character since losing the League Cup final. That is what is important and I expect this to continue at Barnsley.

"From day one I have had full confidence in the team, even though most of the people didn't believe we would have a good year.

"It has been a good development and that pleases me more than the results."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Barnsley are looking to oust a second successive 'Big Four' club in FA Cup holders Chelsea, having sent Liverpool crashing out of the competition with a dramatic injury-time winner from Brian Howard in the fifth round at Anfield.

Chelsea are still vying for triple honours via the FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

The South Yorkshire club are hoping to reach the last four for only the third time in their history and the first since winning the trophy for the only time in 1912, beating West Bromwich Albion in the final after a replay nine days after the sinking of the Titanic.

The League ladder

Chelsea are 33 places higher than Barnsley in the league standings.

FA CUP RECORDS AND BEST PERFORMANCES

BARNSLEY

Drawn their last three, and not won in four (all competitions).

Looking for a fifth home game without defeat. Lost only two of 18 home league games this season, and standing six places and seven points above the relegation zone in the Championship.

Recent FA Cup performance

Not been beyond the third round since successive quarter-finals appearances in 1998 and 1999, when knocked out by Newcastle (away) and Tottenham (home) respectively.

The Manager

An energetic "box to box" midfielder as a player with Swansea, Carlisle, Preston and Darlington, 37-year-old Simon Davey is in his second season in charge of Barnsley - his first managerial appointment.

FA Cup fact

Giant killers this season, and also in 1998 when eliminating Manchester United in the fifth round.

CHELSEA

Qualified for the last eight of the Champions League with a 3-0 home win over Olympiakos on Wednesday.

Won the last two, and lost just one of 19 (all competitions).

Recent FA Cup performance

Winners four times and losing-finalists on another four occasions, Chelsea are seeking a place in the semi-finals for the third successive season, and the 18th time in their history.

The Manager

Avram Grant has won one domestic cup as a coach; he guided Maccabi Tel Aviv to the Israeli Cup in 1994.

Chelsea have lost only three of 37 league and cup games under the 52 year old former Israel manager.

FA Cup fact

Last knocked out by a lower league club 13 years ago; Millwall drew a fourth round replay 1-1 after extra time at Stamford Bridge and won 5-4 on penalties on 8 February 1995.

HEAD to HEAD

All competitions

Chelsea have won their last three league meetings with Barnsley, scoring 13 goals in the process. The last trip to the Oakwell was on 24 August 1997 when Barnsley were in the Premier League, and Chelsea won 0-6 with four goals from player/manager Gianluca Vialli.

FA Cup

Barnsley won the only previous meeting 4-0 in the third round at the Oakwell on 7 January 1989, when both clubs were playing their league football at the second level. Steve Agnew scored a brace, and Gwyn Thomas and David Currie got the others.

As you who look at this thread know I post all the match facts and other news, I would usually post the match report about tonights game but I really can't be bothered! I cannot believe I have just sat through that match and watched the cup holders throw away a game, thats a bit unfair on the Barnsley fans as they fully deserved the win. Chelsea were an absolute disgrace.......I'm actually embarrassed to be a Chelsea fan tonight......sort things out Avram and quick before the season collapses completely!! :o

I haven't noticed any Chelsea threads here so I thought I would start my own, all Chelsea boys and girls please post anything you want, would be good to hear other genuine true blue supporters opinions and stories.

Lets forget all the one sided slagging off we are getting from the media and other jealous supporters and just stick together.

Come on the BLUES!!!!!!!!!

OH DEAR.... barnsley tu tut....still im man u were gone too.....

Now I know how the Scousers feel!For all the Chelsea pressure,their keeper had an easier game than at Anfield because the Barnsley back four were absolutely outstanding.How their front man hadn't scored for 31 matches is beyond me as he was a handful for Terry and Carvalho all the game.For their achievements up to now,they deserve to win the Cup.Good luck to 'em.

Grant accepts pressure is rising

Avram Grant has admitted the pressure is building on him following Chelsea's shock FA Cup defeat by Barnsley.

When asked whether he accepted his job may rest on winning either the Premier League or Champions League, the Chelsea manager replied: "I will accept it.

"When I'm responsible for the team, and my team loses at Barnsley, there will be many negative things said about it."

The Guardian claims sources close to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich say he was "incensed" by the 1-0 defeat.

The away supporters at Oakwell could be heard chanting the name of Jose Mourinho, Grant's predecessor, and the Israeli was surrounded by security staff as he left the dug-out at full-time.

The Tykes' victory, secured by a second-half Kayode Odejayi header, ended Chelsea's defence of the trophy and came a fortnight after they were beaten in the Carling Cup final by Tottenham.

The Wembley result prompted questions about Grant's team selection and, with Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard missing the trip to Championship strugglers Barnsley, it has been reported that Abramovich and chief executive Peter Kenyon were left in disbelief at the starting line-up.

Grant has still only lost four of his 38 matches since replacing Jose Mourinho in charge of the Stamford Bridge club.

Chelsea are eight points behind Premier League leaders Arsenal with two games in hand and are in the draw for the Champions League quarter-finals.

"I'm the manager and I'm responsible for everything," said Grant. "It's very sad because we'd played so well in the last week.

"This team has shown they can play good football. They did it against West Ham and Olympiakos.

"The team that played at Barnsley, even though we had a lot of injuries, was good enough to win."

Henk ten Cate, Grant's assistant, conceded that a sequence of bad results will not be tolerated by the Chelsea hierarchy.

"One bad run of results and you're out," said the Dutchman. "You just can't afford to lose here.

"I came to Chelsea because I was looking for peace. I wanted to work at the top level and at the same time I was looking for peace."

Nicolas Anelka, who replaced Drogba up front, insisted the players should take the blame for the Barnsley defeat, adding: "The tactics were right and the criticism should be aimed at the players.

"It is not about the manager, it is the players.

"We have spoken about the Champions League before and we will try our best to win it because, when you look around the dressing room, we have big players.

"I think Barnsley will be forgotten if we win the Champions League."