Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Hiddink reveals Chelsea 'fight'

Chelsea coach Guus Hiddink has admitted he had to win over the dressing room on his arrival at Stamford Bridge.

The experienced Dutchman was brought to West London in February following Luiz Felipe Scolari's departure after just seven months at the helm.

Hiddink, who is also coach of the Russia national side, agreed to take charge until the end of the season before fully focusing on his international commitments.

Sunday will mark his final Stamford Bridge game of the season when Blackburn visit for the penultimate Premier League game of the season.

Despite his initial concerns, Hiddink has saluted the players for their response to his arrival and admitted he would continue to visit Stamford Bridge in the future.

He told Sky Sports News: "When I started I had to fight a lot with the status of players. They had a pre-set mind they might be untouchable.

"But we touched each other to performances and the players reacted how we wanted from the first day on, so I'm proud of that.

"Having had the response of everyone, the players, the staff, the public, how they reacted to what we did gives me a lot of satisfaction.

"Sadness is not the right word, I'm not going to cry. I don't know my emotions, I haven't, but it's not over yet. I have enjoyed very much working at this club with these players.

"I will unofficially keep my connection with the club, by supporting them and every now and then coming to visit."

Hiddink also admitted that he was in the dark of the identity of his successor and had not been involved in discussions over summer transfer targets.

When asked about future signings, he replied: "That is a question I cannot answer because it is going into next season, I think you have to ask the responsible people for next season."

AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti has been strongly linked with Stamford Bridge, but the Dutchman claimed the Blues were under no obligation to keep him up to date with who was in the frame.

He added: "Of course there are names, but we haven't talked about names. It's is up to them, that's none of my business. They have to go forward, but there is no responsibility whatsoever from their side to inform me."

Hiddink reveals Chelsea 'fight'

Chelsea coach Guus Hiddink has admitted he had to win over the dressing room on his arrival at Stamford Bridge.

The experienced Dutchman was brought to West London in February following Luiz Felipe Scolari's departure after just seven months at the helm.

Hiddink, who is also coach of the Russia national side, agreed to take charge until the end of the season before fully focusing on his international commitments.

Sunday will mark his final Stamford Bridge game of the season when Blackburn visit for the penultimate Premier League game of the season.

Despite his initial concerns, Hiddink has saluted the players for their response to his arrival and admitted he would continue to visit Stamford Bridge in the future.

He told Sky Sports News: "When I started I had to fight a lot with the status of players. They had a pre-set mind they might be untouchable.

"But we touched each other to performances and the players reacted how we wanted from the first day on, so I'm proud of that.

"Having had the response of everyone, the players, the staff, the public, how they reacted to what we did gives me a lot of satisfaction.

"Sadness is not the right word, I'm not going to cry. I don't know my emotions, I haven't, but it's not over yet. I have enjoyed very much working at this club with these players.

"I will unofficially keep my connection with the club, by supporting them and every now and then coming to visit."

Hiddink also admitted that he was in the dark of the identity of his successor and had not been involved in discussions over summer transfer targets.

When asked about future signings, he replied: "That is a question I cannot answer because it is going into next season, I think you have to ask the responsible people for next season."

AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti has been strongly linked with Stamford Bridge, but the Dutchman claimed the Blues were under no obligation to keep him up to date with who was in the frame.

He added: "Of course there are names, but we haven't talked about names. It's is up to them, that's none of my business. They have to go forward, but there is no responsibility whatsoever from their side to inform me."

Explains everything :)

Terry - Third not good enough

Chelsea captain John Terry does not believe the club's performance in the Premier League this season has been good enough.

The Blues look set for a third-placed finish in England's top flight with Liverpool currently holding a three-point advantage in third and boasting a better goal difference.

Terry has lifted the Premier League title twice during his time at Stamford Bridge and admits the team must improve next season to right this campaign's wrongs.

The England defender said in the London Evening Standard: "Third place in the League isn't good enough.

"If that's where we eventually finish, it's the lowest we've come since (owner Roman) Abramovich bought the club.

"I'm sure that next season Man Utd will be as good again and that Liverpool will maintain their improvement. It's up to us to get back in among and ahead of them."

Lampard named Chelsea's POTY for third time

May 22, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

England midfielder Frank Lampard has become the first Chelsea star to win the club's Player of the Year award for the third time.

Lampard, who won the title in 2004 and 2005, was again voted the leading performer over the season by the fans.

Lampard received the trophy from interim coach Guus Hiddink on a night when Michael Essien, Michael Mancienne and Ashley Cole also won prizes.

The midfielder went one better than John Hollins, Charlie Cooke, Ray Wilkins, David Webb, John Terry, Dennis Wise and Gianfranco Zola - who have all won the award twice - and Lampard declared: "It feels great because of the amount of top-quality players who have won this award.

"When I came here I never expected to win it three times at all, I just wanted to establish myself but getting this award and the recognition from your own fans is a huge thing in football. I am absolutely delighted.''

Essien's thunderous left-foot volley at home to Barcelona in the Champions League semi-final, second leg was voted Chelsea's Goal of the Season by supporters.

It was the second time in three years the Ghanaian has won the accolade. In 2007, he was honoured for a 30-yard shot against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.

Essien's trophy was just reward for a player who missed the first six months of the season with knee ligament damage.

The Ghanaian was injured on international duty last September and only returned to action in February.

His stunning volley, which crashed into the net off the underside of the crossbar, gave Chelsea real hope of reaching the final of the Champions League for the second successive year.

However, Barca midfielder Andres Iniesta scored a last-minute equaliser to rob the Blues of a repeat final against Manchester United in Rome.

"It is always good to win something,'' said Essien. "We put effort in to win trophies and win personal trophies, so it is great.

"I meant to do it because when I saw the ball coming that was the only option that came to my mind, I tried to take it and I had a bit of luck.

"It is difficult to score those kinds of goals and you need a bit of luck.''

Meanwhile, England left-back Ashley Cole won the Samsung Players' Player of the Year - an accolade presented by former Chelsea star Cooke and decided by the staff who work with the first team as well as the squad.

The Young Player of the Year award was presented in association with adidas and was selected by coaches Paul Clement and Ray Wilkins.

England youngster Michael Mancienne, who turned 21 and made his Chelsea first-team debut this season, was the recipient.

The young defender is an England Under-21 regular and received a call-up into the senior squad during the season.

A special commitment award also went to captain Terry for his 10 years of first-team service.

Peter Kenyon handed a Special Recognition award, a new honour, to CLIC Sargent, Chelsea's UK charity partner for the last four years.

It is a partnership that is coming to an end in its current form but has raised more than £2million for work with children with cancer.

Top man Guus Hiddink, I'm sure he will be missed! :)

Hiddink hails Chelsea focus

Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink praised his side's professionalism as they finished their Premier League campaign with a 3-2 win at relegation-threatened Sunderland.

The Blues already knew they would finish third and face an FA Cup Final against Everton next Saturday while Sunderland still needed a point to secure safety.

The hosts survived anyway as Middlesbrough and arch-rivals Newcastle both failed to win, but Hiddink was pleased his side fulfilled their end of their bargain.

"I think the approach from our side was serious and it should be like that," he told the club's official website.

"It was an honest game because we knew they had to get one point to be safe, although you could expect favourable results for Sunderland elsewhere.

"We had a good game, some periods were a bit sloppy, when they made it 1-1, but overall I think we controlled the game rather well."

Hiddink fielded a strong side and Chelsea took the lead through a stunning 25-yard strike by Nicolas Anelka in the 47th minute, which was his 19th league goal of the season and secured him the golden boot.

Kieran Richardson equalised but the Blues clinched victory with goals by Salomon Kalou and Ashley Cole in the last 16 minutes.

Hiddink rested just two players with Frank Lampard and Alex left out with minor problems but replacement Juliano Belletti, who was forced off in the first half, is the only injury doubt for the FA Cup Final.

"The ones who were not here today, Alex and Frank Lampard, practiced the last few days and were having a bit of a problem at the beginning of the week but they will be fit for Saturday," said Hiddink.

"The only question mark will be Belletti. We'll see tomorrow how Belletti reacts to the kick he got on his thigh.

"First of all we were here to win, then if we could help him (Anelka) to get the golden boot that would be good for everyone and we talked a bit about that," added the Dutch coach.

"If you are too eager to get something then it normally won't happen. We said (at half-time) we have to play a bit differently, more off the ball.

"And then in the first attack (Didier) Drogba went off the ball, not towards the ball, created the space for Anelka and at that moment he had to execute it and I think he did it with a world-class goal."

Kenwyne Jones' late header for Sunderland was not enough to deny Chelsea an 11th win in 13 league games under interim boss Hiddink, who will bid farewell after next week's Wembley showpiece and return to his role as Russia coach.

"Of course, I will miss the Premier League," he said.

"I have seen it from the inside now and it's a very attractive league. I have enjoyed almost every minute of working on the inside and being in a great club."

Terry rejects Jose claims

Chelsea captain John Terry has rejected claims made by former team-mate Claude Makelele that he engineered the sacking of Jose Mourinho.

Makelele's claims in his autobiography that Terry was the man responsible for Mourinho's axing at Stamford Bridge in September 2007.

In 'Claude Makelele - Tout Simplement', the Paris Saint Germain midfielder claims that Mourinho and Terry fell out over playing time as the captain dealt with injury, and that Terry asked for a transfer.

"I thought Mourinho was practically untouchable, but a lot of players had complained about him, notably John Terry," Makelele wrote.

"When John Terry let his discontent be known to [chief executive Peter] Kenyon and asked him for an immediate transfer, (owner Roman) Abramovich reacted immediately: the departure of Terry was totally unimaginable, from the point of view of the supporters, the players or the club owners. Mourinho was packing his bags."

However, both Chelsea and Terry have strongly refuted Makelele's claims.

A statement released through Terry's lawyers read: "It has been claimed that John was in some way involved with the removal of Jose Mourinho as manager.

"This is categorically untrue and there is no foundation in this allegation.

"We also confirm (should it even need confirming) that John has never asked to be transferred from Chelsea."

A Chelsea spokesman added: "This is not a true version of events with regards to the transfer request as there wasn't one.

"Nor was the captain responsible for the departure of Jose Mourinho, which was mutually agreed between Jose and the club."

FA Cup final offers path to glory or consolation

Updated: May 29, 2009, 3:02 PM UK

Saturday's FA Cup final gives Everton the chance to cap an impressive season with rare silverware while for Chelsea it offers a consolation prize in another frustrating campaign.

Chelsea will want a rousing send-off for manager Guus Hiddink but having lost so painfully to Barcelona in the Champions League semis and finishing third in the league, it will not be easy to motivate themselves.

They bounced back from the Barcelona disappointment to hammer Arsenal 4-1 but Everton are a different prospect.

While not quite the "Dogs of War" who celebrated their narrow escape from relegation by harrying Manchester United into submission to win the final 1-0 14 years ago, they are still a fiercely competitive team.

Belgian Marouane Fellaini, with 13 yellow cards to his name in his first season of English football, Leon Osman, Steven Pienaar and captain Phil Neville do not look on paper to be a match for Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack and Michael Essien.

The Toffees have also often struggled to field a fit striker of any sort this season, let alone one of the pedigree of Didier Drogba or 25-goal Nicolas Anelka.

Yet they have more than held their own with most Premier League opposition, including Chelsea, when Everton had much the better of last month's goalless draw at Stamford Bridge and drew 0-0 at Goodison in December.

"The players have been very good and they know they are getting ready for a big game," said David Moyes, whose achievements on a meagre budget earned him manager of the season award for the third time this week.

"There is no doubt they have improved as players and we have got momentum with us. There is a real desire and hunger about these players. Everybody at this club has longed to get to another FA Cup final."

Everton's route to the final shows they are a match for anyone after overcoming Liverpool, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and Manchester United, on penalties.

Even when they lost midfielder Mikel Arteta, their most creative force, and England centre back Phil Jagielka, Everton kept their momentum and finished strongly to overhaul Villa and finish fifth in the league for the second season running.

While that represents real success for Moyes, Chelsea expect much more for the investment of Roman Abramovich.

Hiddink, who will return to his role as Russia coach after Saturday, said there was a real will to get up one more time.

"Normally at the end of the season you have players who fade away a bit but none whatsoever in this group - the internal motivation is high," said the Dutchman.

"It's a final with worldwide attention, real football people love to watch this and to get some silverware would be perfect."

Well done Chelsea. Deserved the win and that shot that hit the crossbar definately went over the line.

<deleted>. were we watching the same game? Now just fcu_king look here IMay have had a drink but-----------------------------------------------------------------------

reason for edit:- alcohol

Edited by rott

Well done Chelsea. Deserved the win and that shot that hit the crossbar definately went over the line.

<deleted>. were we watching the same game? Now just fcu_king look here IMay have had a drink but-----------------------------------------------------------------------

reason for edit:- alcohol

Well I was watching it sober. So I stand by my comments :)

What a come down that was after watching the sublime, total football that Barca treated us to during the week.

Hahaha let me guess watching Barca playing total football is just like watching West Ham right? sour grapes comes to mind! :)

Emotional farewell for Hiddink

Guus Hiddink admitted he was 'sad but satisfied' after ending his Chelsea reign with FA Cup glory.

The Blues fell behind to Louis Saha's record-breaking goal after just 25 seconds at Wembley but bounced back to defeat Everton 2-1.

Didier Drogba headed Chelsea level in the 21st minute and Frank Lampard then netted a stunning winner in the second half.

It was Hiddink's final match at the Chelsea helm and he concedes there was a lot of emotion in the camp as he bid farewell to his players after the final whistle.

The experienced tactician, who took charge at Stamford Bridge in February, will resume his role as full-time Russia boss on Sunday.

Hiddink said: "There were some extra-normal circumstances in the dressing room. We have a multi-cultural squad and we had a nice dance party with the staff.

"Roman (Abramovich) danced with us. He enjoyed it. He was in the middle of the party. He is not a man of many words but there were some beautiful pictures.

"It was emotional in the dressing room. I got my players together and thanked them in an emotional way for how we have worked together."

The Dutchman added: "I feel sadness because the attitude of the players was superb, but leaving with silverware gives a feeling of satisfaction. This is the best way. The standard of this club means it must win some silverware each year."

Hiddink singled Lampard out for special praise after the midfielder scored his 20th goal of the season.

"It was a typical, beautiful Frank Lampard goal," he said. "When the team needs a turning point he is there in key moments. That is the benchmark for a world class player."

Hiddink did, however, admit there was still a feeling of frustration at not making it through to the UEFA Champions League final, which saw Barcelona overcome Manchester United in midweek.

"It would have been more perfect if we had been somewhere else a few days ago," he said.

"I would have loved to have played Man Utd. It was almost a perfect goodbye. Not winning today would have left unfinished business."

What a come down that was after watching the sublime, total football that Barca treated us to during the week.

Hahaha let me guess watching Barca playing total football is just like watching West Ham right? sour grapes comes to mind! :)

Not at all, the CLCF was just watching the good triumph over the ugly, when only football was the winner. Yesterday's performance was just an anti-climatic that's all. As any true lover of the beautiful game would agree I'm sure. If either team had neared the excellence of Barca's close passing game and running off the ball, then I'd have given credit where credit's due. As neither did, nor are capable of it seems, then ...

What have Sour Grapes & West Ham go to do with anything that HH said ?? :D

Chelsea & sublime Football don't belong in the same sentence & that can't be argued against..

Chelsea are boring & i'd rather watch Alan <deleted> Titchmarsh weeding a Garden, than Chelsea every week.

Terry rejects Jose claims

Chelsea captain John Terry has rejected claims made by former team-mate Claude Makelele that he engineered the sacking of Jose Mourinho.

Makelele's claims in his autobiography that Terry was the man responsible for Mourinho's axing at Stamford Bridge in September 2007.

In 'Claude Makelele - Tout Simplement', the Paris Saint Germain midfielder claims that Mourinho and Terry fell out over playing time as the captain dealt with injury, and that Terry asked for a transfer.

"I thought Mourinho was practically untouchable, but a lot of players had complained about him, notably John Terry," Makelele wrote.

"When John Terry let his discontent be known to [chief executive Peter] Kenyon and asked him for an immediate transfer, (owner Roman) Abramovich reacted immediately: the departure of Terry was totally unimaginable, from the point of view of the supporters, the players or the club owners. Mourinho was packing his bags."

However, both Chelsea and Terry have strongly refuted Makelele's claims.

A statement released through Terry's lawyers read: "It has been claimed that John was in some way involved with the removal of Jose Mourinho as manager.

"This is categorically untrue and there is no foundation in this allegation.

"We also confirm (should it even need confirming) that John has never asked to be transferred from Chelsea."

A Chelsea spokesman added: "This is not a true version of events with regards to the transfer request as there wasn't one.

"Nor was the captain responsible for the departure of Jose Mourinho, which was mutually agreed between Jose and the club."

Yeah right, of course, Makelele just made the whole thing up.. :)

Makelele's gone, Terry 's still at Chelsea & still the Blue Eyed Boy, Mourinho won't say anything about it at all but if you want to believe the Chelsea spin on things go for it..

Go figure... :D

Chelsea & sublime Football don't belong in the same sentence & that can't be argued against..

Chelsea are boring & i'd rather watch Alan <deleted> Titchmarsh weeding a Garden, than Chelsea every week.

"Fork" off then :D

Yeah right, of course, Makelele just made the whole thing up.. :)

Makelele's gone, Terry 's still at Chelsea & still the Blue Eyed Boy, Mourinho won't say anything about it at all but if you want to believe the Chelsea spin on things go for it..

Go figure... :D

there was a guardian journalist at the time who maintained that terry had engineered mourinho's exit, he got pooh-poohed as well. think there's definitely something in it.

"Fork" off then :D

Leaf it out BJ.... :D

Ancelotti named Chelsea boss

Carlo Ancelotti has been confirmed as the new Chelsea manager, signing a three-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

Ancelotti had long been expected to replace Guus Hiddink in West London and his appointment was sealed on Monday morning, just hours after he stepped down as AC Milan boss on Sunday.

The former Parma and Roma boss, who turns 50 on 10th June, won the UEFA Champions League twice and the Serie A crown during his eight-year spell with the Rossoneri.

Europe's leading club trophy is believed to be the one which Blues owner Roman Abramovich craves above all others, and Ancelotti will now be charged with guiding the club to continental glory.

Claudio Ranieri, Jose Mourinho, Avram Grant and Hiddink have all come close to triumphing in the Champions League, with Ancelotti handed the reins of the star-studded Chelsea squad from whom success is demanded, rather than just expected.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce that Carlo Ancelotti has agreed to become our new manager.

"He has signed a three year contract and will start on July 1, 2009.

"Carlo was the outstanding candidate for the job. He has proved over a long period his ability to build teams that challenged for, and have been successful in, major domestic and European competitions.

"He also had a highly successful playing career in those competitions and therefore brings unparalleled all round experience to the job.

"We are sure everybody at Chelsea will give him a warm welcome and we are all looking forward to working with him."

strange move this. never managed in england, renowed for a very different type of game and style of football, independent-minded, doesn't speak much english. . . .sounds rather like mister scolari all over again. :)

strange move this. never managed in england, renowed for a very different type of game and style of football, independent-minded, doesn't speak much english. . . .sounds rather like mister scolari all over again. :)

but stevie, if you noticed, the baldish ones got the boot, those with good hair did ok.

but stevie, if you noticed, the baldish ones got the boot, those with good hair did ok.

hmm. ancelotti has grey hair and is italian. claudio ranieri has grey hair and is italian.

strange move this. never managed in england, renowed for a very different type of game and style of football, independent-minded, doesn't speak much english. . . .sounds rather like mister scolari all over again. :D

hmm. ancelotti has grey hair and is italian. claudio ranieri has grey hair and is italian.

yes, buy compared to phil and avram, they are fully haired. think about it. :)

I think its pretty clear that Roman A makes the decisions be it players or managers, Schevchenko ,whats that 5 Managers in 2 years? It his call I guess, its his money but Roman A is an impatient man wanting instant success and not prepared to build. How many Chelsea juniors have come through the ranks in his tenure ....zip. He pines for the day when HIS Chelsea will be spoken of in the same vein as the worlds great clubs

I think its pretty clear that Roman A makes the decisions be it players or managers, Schevchenko ,whats that 5 Managers in 2 years? It his call I guess, its his money but Roman A is an impatient man wanting instant success and not prepared to build. How many Chelsea juniors have come through the ranks in his tenure ....zip. He pines for the day when HIS Chelsea will be spoken of in the same vein as the worlds great clubs

think that's true and that's why the key words in that chelsea press statement were 'european success'.