Subway gone!

jobin

Okay let me see how folks vote (at least the Americans who are familiar with these chains).

Which would you prefer:

1) Subway

2) Quiznos

3) Blimpie

4) Schlotzsky's

*Note: I know there's many more chains but these were some of the popular ones around when I was last living in the USA.

BTW, my choice is #4.....

None. I'd prefer to eat something other than aenemic US cr4p.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i stayed in chiang mai 2 years ago once a week I would take out a subway 6 inch tuna sandwich, along with some fresh cut fruit from tops. i like thai food, and i'm not saying subway is the end all of sandwiches, but for 69 baht that tuna sandwich was a better deal, better tasting and a healthier option than any of the msg laden food they served at KSK food court.

Edited by kharmabum

re

There also a newish Subway just opened in the small shopping precinct adjacent to Arcade bus station

newish .. just opened ?

it opened over two years ago !

dave2

Not 100% sure but I believe they are open 24 hours a day. There is also a coffee shop open 24 hours

a day there. I don't believe the small Rimping is open 24 hours a day.

It is the Star shopping Mall just across the Super highway and a little south of Central Festival as Dave 2

says it is also adjacent to the Arcade bus station.

Edit

Sorry forgot the 24 hour McDonalds for those of you who don't like Subway.

Edited by northernjohn

re

There also a newish Subway just opened in the small shopping precinct adjacent to Arcade bus station

newish .. just opened ?

dave2

Thats why I stated "Newish" . I had only seen it a few months ago

I happen to know some Subway owners and know where most of the Subway sandwich ingredients originate from. Obviously, I am not at liberty to divulge that at the ThaiVisa forum but many of you would be surprised. Much higher quality sources than some here seem to think.

I do not know why Rob13 and TheSiamReaper are making these silly comments but I can assure it is a lot of uninformed nonsense.

wow what inside information you have. why not share it? i would be willing to be that they have a deal with CP to supply them with their higher grade products. CP has a premium, blue package line.

You've never had a real sub sandwich, have you? Try one sometime, nothing like subway.

OK, I will, can you tell me where to get one from in CM ?

I haven't seen any. Best I've found are a few deli style shops that serve sandwiches made with real (not processed) meat . Hard enough to find a decent burger in CM, an Italian sub is probably not going to happen.

You would you call the salami in an Italian sub? Real meat not processed meat?

Too many chefs in the TV kitchen - LOL

Almost all meat is "processed" given that most people aren't eating raw meat. It's the quality of the offering that differs - there's a huge difference from a hand cured salami in an artisan butcher to a chemically cured mass produced one from a major processing plant in terms of "processing".

All big brand fast food works with low quality, mass produced ingredients, it has to - there would be no margin in their business otherwise. My objection to Subway remains as not the quality of the ingredients but rather the crapness of the final product. It's just not a good sandwich. Given that I can buy good ingredients and assemble a sandwich easily at home - there is no reason to go to Subway ever.

I had a turkey 6" the other day, think it was something like 149 bht. Seemed like worth maybe 1/2 that. And they have no idea how to make a sandwich, held it like opening a book, piled up all the veg in the middle, poured 5 dashes of black pepper in a pile on top and wrapped it. Total mess and when I hit the pepper I couldn't taste anything afterwards. Don't they even have a manual of how to build a Subway Sub??

Well, next time, DONT ask for pepper .

Or if you want just one dash of pepper, just ask for a little bit of pepper .

Putting the ingredients inside the bread is the general way to make a sandwich, how would you suggest that they make a sandwich if they dont put the ingredients inside the bread ?

After I tell them too put the mustard on the bottom half of the roll touching the meat and so it's isn't mixed in the veg and salad dressing, to take off the cheese that I told them I don't want each time they asked (guess they thought I was lying the first few times), that "a little onion" does not mean a large handful etc etc. and then they put the pepper shaker 1/4 cm from the sandwich and hit it with their palm 5 x, again for a little, so it all lands in one small pile?

You suggest I should then tell them I don't want pepper when in fact I do, just properly administered.

Putting all the ingredients "piled up all .... in the middle" is not how to make a sandwich. The fillings should be evenly laid along the roll so one gets some of each in every bite.

I think with your culinary knowledge and level of intelligence you'd make a great Subway employee candidate.

But my complaint wasn't the staff's not knowing what to do but the lack of training by the management so there's still hope for you.

555. Any worker with culinary knowledge employed at Subway, McDonald's, Burger King, Starbux and etc is certainly an oxymoron.

Eating, whether at home or on the road, takes 2nd or 3rd spot in expenses for expats in T'land. Not counting golf, hoes, booze and other common but un-necessary pleasures. Cost control on food expense is a high priority, at least for me. Subway offers and i choose.

Sure, we can all eat for more money and many do. No doubt most of those of them think: costs more = better food. Not so.

You've never had a real sub sandwich, have you? Try one sometime, nothing like subway.

OK, I will, can you tell me where to get one from in CM ?

I haven't seen any. Best I've found are a few deli style shops that serve sandwiches made with real (not processed) meat . Hard enough to find a decent burger in CM, an Italian sub is probably not going to happen.

Depends if it's whole meat or ground up parts with filler added. Prosciutto's real; Spam isn't.

Edited by Rob13

I happen to know some Subway owners and know where most of the Subway sandwich ingredients originate from. Obviously, I am not at liberty to divulge that at the ThaiVisa forum but many of you would be surprised. Much higher quality sources than some here seem to think.

I do not know why Rob13 and TheSiamReaper are making these silly comments but I can assure it is a lot of uninformed nonsense.

wow what inside information you have. why not share it? i would be willing to be that they have a deal with CP to supply them with their higher grade products. CP has a premium, blue package line.

I do not think many businesses would appreciate it if someone posts a list of their suppliers on a public forum.... Rather obvious isn't it?

I do not think many businesses would appreciate it if someone posts a list of their suppliers on a public forum.... Rather obvious isn't it?

No. Where a franchise gets it's food is not top secret info.

Yeah because Subway is vulnerable to the threat of local businesses ousting it from its suppliers? Oh, no wait a minute, never in the history of mankind has a major chain worried about this. Not once. Given their purchasing power etc. they would have nothing to fear. However, those purporting to know what they do not... they can hide behind this flimsy excuse.

Depends if it's whole meat or ground up parts with filler added. Prosciutto's real; Spam isn't.

Processed meat is considered any meat which has been modified in order either to improve its taste or extend its shelf life. Methods of meat processing are "salting, curing, fermentation,smoking or other processes"

You replied to a question about salami

Salami is a type of cured sausage consisting of fermented and air-dried meat, typically beef or pork.

A sausage is a food usually made from ground meat, often pork, beef or veal, along with salt, spices and breadcrumbs, with a skin around it.

Google obviously isn't your friend

"Prosciutto's real; Spam isn't." - Are you being real?

Edited by junglechef

555. Any worker with culinary knowledge employed at Subway, McDonald's, Burger King, Starbux and etc is certainly an oxymoron.

Eating, whether at home or on the road, takes 2nd or 3rd spot in expenses for expats in T'land. Not counting golf, hoes, booze and other common but un-necessary pleasures. Cost control on food expense is a high priority, at least for me. Subway offers and i choose.

Sure, we can all eat for more money and many do. No doubt most of those of them think: costs more = better food. Not so.

You don't expect the barrista or the guy who makes your cup of coffee at Starbuck to know how to make a cup of coffee?

The fry cook at McDonald's to know how to make fries?

These are the culinary skills they need to perform their job preparing the food that they are paid to do and in turn people pay to get that product.

Have a poorly made coffee, sandwich or order of fries and you'll know that it takes culinary knowledge unless you don't have enough to know your being served something inferior.

Are you going to cite the Military Intelligence example next?

If someone is selling meat and it's been run through the grinder and has filler added. in my book it's not real meat. Real meat would be 100% meat. preferably from a whole cut. The chicken strips at subway is from ground meat with fillers, so IMO it's not real chicken.

Edited by Rob13

re

newish .. just opened ?

dave2

Not 100% sure but I believe they are open 24 hours a day. There is also a coffee shop open 24 hours

a day there. I don't believe the small Rimping is open 24 hours a day.

It is the Star shopping Mall just across the Super highway and a little south of Central Festival as Dave 2

says it is also adjacent to the Arcade bus station.

Edit

Sorry forgot the 24 hour McDonalds for those of you who don't like Subway.

They used to be open 24 hrs a day but I think just recently it has been changed. Not so sure what the exact hrs are now but I did notice a sign posted on the door a few weeks ago when I was last in there.

Bless me father for I have sinned. I paid 138 baht and left a 12 baht tip at Subway for a 12 inch

teriyaki sub with olives pickles and cheese on it.

It was delicious. O yes I used Southwest sauce on it. coffee1.gif

Edit

Forgot to mention it was not put together up to 5 star requirements.

It was more like an item at a fast food chain except the wrapping was better than many others.

Edited by northernjohn

If someone is selling meat and it's been run through the grinder and has filler added. in my book it's not real meat. Real meat would be 100% meat. preferably from a whole cut. The chicken strips at subway is from ground meat with fillers, so IMO it's not real chicken.

You said "sandwiches made with real (not processed) meat . Hard enough to find a decent burger in CM, an Italian sub ..."

You're still avoiding my original question if salami is processed meat.

You just switched the conversation from you saying processed meat is not real meat.

Then if it isn't whole meat isn't real.

Then if not 100% meat, preferably from a whole cut, isn't real meat.

I think you forget we're talking about pork not fish.

Trolling is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.

cheesy.gif

That's the same Chipotle that food poisoned its customers right? Just to make sure we're on the same page here.

Yep, lost 10 billion in market cap, but they actually took responsibility. 10 years ago, no one had heard of it...now worth 8 times more than Sotheby's

I could write a list of places with better Mexican (none of them here), but they do market themselves as using only the finest ingredients. But, in food service, you are only as good as your weakest link....a concept that many here need to learn. One untrained nitwit can prevent a customer from ever returning. Should we thank the Europeans for the pathetic tip sharing and service charges (that aren't shared) at many restauranys/bars here? Some guy/girl goes out of their way to give you great service, you tip 200 THB, and she gets an extra 12 THB at the end of her shift? It's counterproductive and irrational, but so is drinking warm beer.

Jack off in a the Box, didn't just poison it's customers; it killed them, with Echoli. However, if a JITB opened up on Huay Kaew it would be the biggest thing to hit Chiang Mai since 7-11. There would be an entire forum on TV, dedicated to JITB.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

That's the same Chipotle that food poisoned its customers right? Just to make sure we're on the same page here.

Yep, lost 10 billion in market cap, but they actually took responsibility. 10 years ago, no one had heard of it...now worth 8 times more than Sotheby's

I could write a list of places with better Mexican (none of them here), but they do market themselves as using only the finest ingredients. But, in food service, you are only as good as your weakest link....a concept that many here need to learn. One untrained nitwit can prevent a customer from ever returning. Should we thank the Europeans for the pathetic tip sharing and service charges (that aren't shared) at many restauranys/bars here? Some guy/girl goes out of their way to give you great service, you tip 200 THB, and she gets an extra 12 THB at the end of her shift? It's counterproductive and irrational, but so is drinking warm beer.

Jack off in a the Box, didn't just poison it's customers; it killed them, with Echoli. However, if a JITB opened up on Huay Kaew it would be the biggest thing to hit Chiang Mai since 7-11. There would be an entire forum on TV, dedicated to JITB.

Quite the subject about one subway closing down.

I agree with you many of the Ex Pats here are not that bright. One meal they don't like in an international chain of FAST food restaurants and they write off every meal it has to offer and every one of it's stores all over the world. You would think they were asking for 5 star quality and prepared food with world class service.

What is really funny is they talk about processed meat and never bother to mention that they like it or don't like it. Just generalize to fit in with the hoard. LOL