What product can I use to re-grout bathroom tiles

ghworker2010

a chlorine based product ('exit - mould' or even pool chlorine) will fix this. it will take a few goes.

be careful, they are highly toxic. you will need plenty of ventilation and a high quality gas mask!

any standard cement based grout will present you with the same problem again in no time at all as they are porous and give plenty of living space to bacteria.

only an epoxy based grout will give you some relief - but you can't buy that in a hardware.

you live in a rental - get the landlord to take care of it. mould is a documented health hazard.

Grout is readily available at most building stores

To do it properly though you need to remove the old grout first which is a bit of a pain, then as stated previously the mould will come back

unless you keep on top of it with regular bleach washes.

I use the ordinary everyday bleach sold in the supermarket called "Haiter"

directly applied to an old scotch-pad and yes you need to ventilate use a floor fan to force fresh air into the bathroom

and some rubber gloves to protect your hands...gas mask err yes maybe but I'd say over the top

To get rid of the mold and mildew use common household laundry breach. get a spray bottle and mix half and half. Wet down the walls and spray it on wait 5 minutes and come back and rinse that will take about 95% of it off. Get a small brush and scrub the rest off then repeat again. I've re-grouted a number of times using products here in Thailand and even brought grout back from the States. Same result, it is just too humid and hot here for Mold and mildew now to grow. I just make it a habit to have spray bottle and mixture around to spray down each week. Using a sealer will help.

Edited by thailand49

You can get a number of water sealant products from Home Pro, if you explain they will understand. Even a small amount of Bondcrete mixed into your new grout will effectively act as a seal and should stop a large build up of mould. To tell you the truth, it is my preferred product when I paint too, even put a small amount in the paint, as it acts a sealer and everything goes rock hard. Not much is needed, A small bottle is around 200 baht at Home Pro. Very effective product in Thailand, my white fence never has any mould on it for years due to this product.

Try to find a steam cleaner service.

Many videos on YouTube are proven to be effective to kill bacteria and make your grout look new...

No need to re-grout the tiles if there aren't cracks.

Your grout looks OK on the left of your picture, except the brown/black algae/bacteria on the other spots.

post-171721-14635436064028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thorgal

If you re-grout, use a sealer.

Yes correct , you will have to remove the old grout first , there is a tool for this, it's a time consuming job so if you can find some Thai to do it for you at say 400b a day all the better. Step 2 re grout and step 3 sealer.

Sodium Bicarbonate!

Mixed with lemon juice (or vinegar) will clean the grout and make it bacteria free.

And it can make a lot more... google to discover the magic of it wink.png

Nonsense. Depending on the relative proportions, you'll either have excess sodium bicarbonate ( pH 7 ) or excess vinegar/lemon juice ( pH 4 ).

You may as well just wash with salt water. Bacteria free? Utter BS. How do you think vinegar is made? Bacterial fermentation.

Some discolourations are susceptible to high pH (12) sodium hydroxide. Others to low pH (2) hydrochloric acid, although as other posters have remarked that may dissolve the grout as well.

A fungal type mould may respond better to an application of copper sulphate solution.

There is absolutely no point to regrouting until the discolouration is removed, irrespective of cause.

Edited by bazza40

You can go the trouble and expense of the other posts or, buy a small pack of grout, make thin paste, smear it over the old grout, pref. just before you move. As 25 year as home decorator, take my advise.

...and than let someone else deal with it 3 weeks later.

'home decorator'??? sounds more like bum coverer.

your solution is no solution.

Sodium Bicarbonate!

Mixed with lemon juice (or vinegar) will clean the grout and make it bacteria free.

And it can make a lot more... google to discover the magic of it wink.png

Nonsense. Depending on the relative proportions, you'll either have excess sodium bicarbonate ( pH 7 ) or excess vinegar/lemon juice ( pH 4 ).

You may as well just wash with salt water. Bacteria free? Utter BS. How do you think vinegar is made? Bacterial fermentation.

Some discolourations are susceptible to high pH (12) sodium hydroxide. Others to low pH (2) hydrochloric acid, although as other posters have remarked that may dissolve the grout as well.

A fungal type mould may respond better to an application of copper sulphate solution.

There is absolutely no point to regrouting until the discolouration is removed, irrespective of cause.

I tried bleach in a bathroom, didn't work! tried both sodium bicarbonate, then after rinsing used vinegar, worked great biggrin.png

Or did my eyes deceive me? according to above poster they most certainly did!

Surely it depends on the type of mold as to what will work?

Edited by CGW

You can go the trouble and expense of the other posts or, buy a small pack of grout, make thin paste, smear it over the old grout, pref. just before you move. As 25 year as home decorator, take my advise.

...and than let someone else deal with it 3 weeks later.

'home decorator'??? sounds more like bum coverer.

your solution is no solution.

Definitely would not use it to cover bum. Just the grout. Why 3 weeks? Maby you didnt add enough grout to the water.