You need ID ,for posting letters Etc at Post Office.

worgeordie

Do Thai's have to show ID for posting a letter?

Good taunting question!

My knee jerk reaction was "do thais write letters?"

Obviously the junta believes that they do and that letter mailing therefore falls under national security issues.

Sharpened pencils will be next!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time the Thais allowed resident expats to have some kind of ID card.

They do,got mine at San Sai Offices just the other day,you need a

yellow book to be able to get one,i believe.

regards Worgeordie P.S. had a friend go to Amphur Maung offices and they had no cards come

back in a month he was told, Doi Saket office has cards.

Got mine at Hang Dong, no charge, and Amphur boss (speaks excellent English) said it's not widely advertised as not all Amphur offices are not yet set up to issue farang ID cards.

Here in Bangkok a few hours ago I mailed a half kilo box with an electronic item inside to the U.S. No ID required although I had my Thai drivers license ready to hand them. In fact, I started to hand my drivers license to the postal clerk and she just waived it off. Package on the way to the U.S.

regards Worgeordie P.S. had a friend go to Amphur Maung offices and they had no cards come

Got mine at Hang Dong, no charge, and Amphur boss (speaks excellent English) said it's not widely advertised as not all Amphur offices are not yet set up to issue farang ID cards.

That's good to know but what is the advantage over a Thai Drivers License which has not only your photo but address ?

That's good to know but what is the advantage over a Thai Drivers License which has not only your photo but address ?

Wallet-sized "yellow book" ID and proof of residence.

I can appreciate the value of a Thai ID card if you don't have a yellow book or a driving licence but seeing as a residency letter was required to obtain

both a yellow book and a driving licence (I have both)it seems duplication of what you already have ie Passport,Licence and Yellow Book for ID purposes.

I can appreciate the value of a Thai ID card if you don't have a yellow book or a driving licence but seeing as a residency letter was required to obtain

both a yellow book and a driving licence (I have both)it seems duplication of what you already have ie Passport,Licence and Yellow Book for ID purposes.

I think you'll find the farang ID card may obviate carrying of bulky and valuable Passport or Yellow Book

re

Here in Bangkok a few hours ago I mailed a half kilo box with an electronic item inside to the U.S.

you found a thai post office open on visakha bucha day ?

hmmmm ... dave2

actually some were open. but no trucking, so packages just sat there.

re

Here in Bangkok a few hours ago I mailed a half kilo box with an electronic item inside to the U.S.

hmmmm ... dave2

Not a holiday for post offices.

re

hmmmm ... dave2

A bit odd as it is a national and government holiday where all government facilities including schools, banks, embassies/consulates and immigration are closed. Are you sure you got the right day?

Banks and government offices are closed for this holiday. However, some bank branches in shopping malls may be open to cater to foreign exchange, and most exchange booths throughout the city will be open. - See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/friday-may-20-is-visakha-bucha-day-58626#sthash.aI9A6HS3.dpuf

re

hmmmm ... dave2

A bit odd as it is a national and government holiday where all government facilities including schools, banks, embassies/consulates and immigration are closed. Are you sure you got the right day?

Banks and government offices are closed for this holiday. However, some bank branches in shopping malls may be open to cater to foreign exchange, and most exchange booths throughout the city will be open. - See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/friday-may-20-is-visakha-bucha-day-58626#sthash.aI9A6HS3.dpuf

Every major city in Thailand has at least one post office that is open 7 days a week/365 days a year. (I don't mean small beach towns). In cities like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc. there are more than one. In C.M. you will always find the Airport branch open and either Central Festival or KSK branch open. KSK branch is open about 90% of the time. If they are closed then Festival will be open.

Edit: Some services will be limited, no tracking, post doesn't actually leave the facility on the holiday, but the P.O. is "open".

Edited by elektrified

re

hmmmm ... dave2

Yes, mailed at Khet Talingchan Post Office (Bangkok) at 11:37am/Friday/20May. See attached receipt of the 0.39KG mailing with the date/time circled. Many people there mailing stuff....all 9 mail clerk counters open to include the seperate counter where you buy stamps, boxes/envelopes, etc., which also boxed up my item. Just another normal day for them.

post-55970-0-32277400-1463882723_thumb.j

I grab a hooker or hilltribe person off the street to send subversive anti junta material. Doesn't everyone know that?

Does this count as social media now or not.....but wait...we're not in Phuket. These inactive posts must become rare.... biggrin.png

The sooner we all have chip implants like a dog or a cat the better it will be.

You mean like facial recognition technology to buy a somtam. blink.png

it's all there already, we are just not aware of it. and why need a chip implant as long as you carry your smart phone with you ?

Strictly enforced in Bangkok today. Thai Drivers License rejected and had to return to hotel for passport. Notices taped to every counter.

Package weighed less than 4oz

Same experience in Chiang Mai. Thai DL has been working fine but told today no passport, no send. Luckily I had a photo of my passport on my phone but told next time to have the original.

They are getting stricter. Tried to post a letter at KSK branch the other day. Last week they accepted my DL. This time the same girl refused. No passport, no send.... Didn't have it with me. Had to go to Khamtieng branch the following day. Was not asked there.

Not going to debate the do we or don't we need I D to post a letter. We all know that won't last.

Just want to know what happens if you put it in a mailbox?

with know stamp on it or ems sticker very little, chees, Could not make it up,