Obtaining an O-A visa while residing in France

Brits and Americans who live in France and wish to apply for this visa for 50+ year olds must do so through the Paris Embassy, not London.

You can obtain a criminal record check on-line (JOY!) through this website: https://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/cjn/b3/eje20

Just click on the right hand box Vous êtes né(e) hors de France and follow it through. You need to speak some French to complete the form. You register for free and then pay 69 euros. This is non-refundable!

Be sure to have paid all your annual taxes before you apply, especially your 'taxe foncière'.

Do not use another website unless you hold a French passport!

Do not bother trying to ring the Paris Embassy. Thais don't like to answer the phone. If after the French holidays, 5 weeks, plus personal holidays, plus Thai holidays you manange to get hold of anyone, then Christmas just happened to you!

Tip on notarisation of documents: If you live in a small village, take the four official papers you need notarised to the local 'Mairie and ask them to stamp them as this is the presiding body over the 'notaires' and is FREEEE. Obviously, all your documents must be in French and on letter-headed paper!

For other types of visas, applicants can post their forms 'formulaire) to the consulate in Lyon. They must use the French form as it's different to the English one!

Sadly, the Thai Consulate in Marseilles closed last year.

There is also a Consulate in Monaco which is listed under on the Thai Embassy and Consulates website, but I'm not sure how that works. I suspect it works for French citizens only, but I'll let you know if I find out differently.

• 4 weeks later...

Your bank attestation must be in French and dated within 15 days of your visa application. My letter was outside the 15 days and was rejected the first time round. I've asked the bank to send a replacement by pdf directly to the agency. Whether this will work, I don't know as the agency is supposed to be in possession of the original; but I suppose it could print a colour copy!

I'm available if anyone needs help with the French content of the site. I don't charge!

Edited by Seraphina

For those who live in the south of France and don't want the hassle of flying, driving or catching a train to Paris or Lyon and then paying for a hotel on top of that, I obtained my visa through Lyon Visa Services who charged 34 euros. I paid 26 euros to get my passport sent back by Chronopost. They do both types of visas, non-immigrant O and OA visas.

<removed>

<removed link to commercial website>
Edit: contact member by PM for contact into.
Edited by ubonjoe
removed phone number and email address (forum rule)