2 professors shot to death at college in eastern Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been assessed using the Piaget scale, that the average Thai never develops emotionally past the equivalent age of a western 12-year-old child.

That's very interesting and wouldn't surprise me, but I couldn't find anything googling. Can you provide more info on the assessment of Thais?

I'll have a bit of a rummage around and see what I can find. Have you read about the Piaget scale? If so then you can do your own adhoc assessment if you have a background in psychology. I'll also try to find a psychological assessment of Thais done by a Thai PhD some years ago if you're interested. It shouldn't be a real hoot because it's meant to be a serious document and it probably wasn't meant to be entertaining, but it is, nonetheless, a real hoot. Must be really easy to get a PhD in Psych in Thailand...

Winnie

I had a small rummage around too.

From Wiki, Piaget placed great importance on the education of children. As the Director of the International Bureau of Education, he declared in 1934 that "only education is capable of saving our societies from possible collapse, whether violent, or gradual.

Sounds fair enough to me. Education is certainly a big issue in the world today. Many countries are having problems. Except a lot a few of the Asian ones, where their rankings are exceeding those of many western nations, Australia included. Standfast Thailand.

But I cannot see anything pertaining to 'race'. Seems to be the sort of academic who would just regard children as being children, regardless of race, but then I know nothing about him that I haven't learnt in the past 10 mins or so.

here is an address, but the HTML is corrupted and difficult to read unfortunately.

http://www.slideshare.net/GlenwoodDesignandMedia/piagets-theory

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

It's been assessed using the Piaget scale, that the average Thai never develops emotionally past the equivalent age of a western 12-year-old child.

That's very interesting and wouldn't surprise me, but I couldn't find anything googling. Can you provide more info on the assessment of Thais?

I'll have a bit of a rummage around and see what I can find. Have you read about the Piaget scale? If so then you can do your own adhoc assessment if you have a background in psychology. I'll also try to find a psychological assessment of Thais done by a Thai PhD some years ago if you're interested. It shouldn't be a real hoot because it's meant to be a serious document and it probably wasn't meant to be entertaining, but it is, nonetheless, a real hoot. Must be really easy to get a PhD in Psych in Thailand...

Winnie

I had a small rummage around too.

From Wiki, Piaget placed great importance on the education of children. As the Director of the International Bureau of Education, he declared in 1934 that "only education is capable of saving our societies from possible collapse, whether violent, or gradual.

Sounds fair enough to me. Education is certainly a big issue in the world today. Many countries are having problems. Except a lot a few of the Asian ones, where their rankings are exceeding those of many western nations, Australia included. Standfast Thailand.

But I cannot see anything pertaining to 'race'. Seems to be the sort of academic who would just regard children as being children, regardless of race, but then I know nothing about him that I haven't learnt in the past 10 mins or so.

here is an address, but the HTML is corrupted and difficult to read unfortunately.

http://www.slideshare.net/GlenwoodDesignandMedia/piagets-theory

Agree, it isn't about race but it is about education. Children learn from adults - initially parents, then teachers then authority figures. If the people they learn from are primitive and uneducated, then the kids learn how to be primitive and uneducated - it really is that simple, and we can all see the results of just that today.

Piaget was right, education is the only thing between civilisation and wilderness, but the Thais have persistently tried to put other people in the position of pastoral and spiritual mentor AND tried to keep Thais uneducated and 'spiritually simple' (my expression).

The result is the problem at the university which has now claimed 3 lives unnecessarily. But they won't learn a single thing from it. That is the real tragedy. I have the feeling that the Thai people deserve much better leadership than in fact they've had. This latest guy isn't going to add anything to Thailand, just more of the same - and he's having enough trouble not imploding himself (my opinion).

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

The latest Thai news reports said the shooter sent a 'suicide note' or 'parting instructions' via the Line messaging app to his elder brother yesterday talking about preparations for his funeral and detailing the wat in Lam Lu Ka he wants his body sent to, how long merit is too last for, that he wants his body cremated etc

throwing his body in a croc farm pen would be more appropriate!