Cell Tower

luudee

^^ Nimby! that's a new word for me, guess it serves to make people feel guilty if they complain!

Anybody who will gladly accept a cell phone tower emitting electromagnetic radiation right next to their home would have to be nuts!

Off course its completely harmless isn't it, the powers that be have told us so, believe so at your own risk!

low energy, non-ionising radiation from a cell tower will cause you no ill effect. Sticking that cellphone to your ear on the other hand......

Not true. Cell towers "talk" to each other and a main station via Microwave transmissions. This is what worries me.

In my opinion there needs to be a "safety zone" around cell towers.

^^ Nimby! that's a new word for me, guess it serves to make people feel guilty if they complain!

Anybody who will gladly accept a cell phone tower emitting electromagnetic radiation right next to their home would have to be nuts!

Off course its completely harmless isn't it, the powers that be have told us so, believe so at your own risk!

low energy, non-ionising radiation from a cell tower will cause you no ill effect. Sticking that cellphone to your ear on the other hand......

Not true. Cell towers "talk" to each other and a main station via Microwave transmissions. This is what worries me.

You have a microwave oven in the kitchen ?

That will kill/cause cancer from radiation quicker than a cell tower, throw it in the bin ASAP.

Thanks for that.

With the amount of work that Motorola, Nokia, Siemens etc were doing at the time I had thought there were more cell phone users. In the mid 1990s Motorola had 6 teams building 5 sites a week just in Thailand alone for DTAC. Nokia were doing the same for AIS.

At that time Motorola had projects running in about 15 countries at the same time.

Edited by billd766

There are very few microwave links left on cellphone towers now. They are actually aimed from point to point ie from dish to dish and they are not of high power.

The normal connections nowadays are fibre optic links which are more reliable, far less subject to weather and can carry far larger amounts of data. There is no need for a safety zone at all.

That will kill/cause cancer from radiation quicker than a cell tower, throw it in the bin ASAP.

Thank you for showing us your ignorance. The Microwave in the Kitchen is shielded and will not affect you ...

There are very few microwave links left on cellphone towers now. They are actually aimed from point to point ie from dish to dish and they are not of high power.

The normal connections nowadays are fibre optic links which are more reliable, far less subject to weather and can carry far larger amounts of data. There is no need for a safety zone at all.

I agree with you, that most towers (especially in the more populated areas) are most likely linked with fiber.

Unfortunately, my location is a bit remote, and I seriously doubt they will pull fiber here.

Depending which direction the "next link" is, I might be in the direct path of the Microwave antenna.

Does anybody know the spread radius of Microwave antennas ?

e.g. what percentage of radiation would hit the ground and at what distance ?

Edited by luudee

MODERATORS:

This topic was moved from the General Forum to the Pattaya forum. WHY ?

I know I stated that I am in Pattaya, but the issue I brought up and the request for help may be of

interest beyond Pattaya. I was looking for legal "advise", and I believe Pattaya does not have it's

own private laws ?

Please move back to General Forum !

Thank you for showing us your ignorance. The Microwave in the Kitchen is shielded and will not affect you ...

That would be about the same amount of ignorance you are showing in regards to cell towers.

I agree with you, that most towers (especially in the more populated areas) are most likely linked with fiber.

Unfortunately, my location is a bit remote, and I seriously doubt they will pull fiber here.

Depending which direction the "next link" is, I might be in the direct path of the Microwave antenna.

Does anybody know the spread radius of Microwave antennas ?

e.g. what percentage of radiation would hit the ground and at what distance ?

There is no easy answer to that question. To a first order the sidelobes near a parabolic dish are almost entirely dictated by the gain and shape of the antenna, which is basically a function of size, and whether it is shrouded. A very high gain, shrouded parabolic antenna will have much lower leakage right next to it than a low gain unshrouded antenna. To a lesser degree, it is also dependent on frequency, which is in turn dictated by the company they are leasing the spectrum from and what frequencies they were assigned by the government.

Also, the pattern is extremely unlikely to be uniform. It could very well by 0dB at one point and 20dB just a few meters over.

Within the main beam, like all electromagentic waves, it is determined by the inverse square law. The beam will propagate out in a cone whose angle is determined by the gain of the antenna. Similarly, on the receiving side, the antenna will receive signals in a cone that propagates outward from the antenna. Where these two cones meet will create a circle of a maximum radius, which taken together with the 2 antennas creates an ellipsoid. This called the Fresnel zone, and the antenna installers will need to make sure this zone is completely clear of any obstructions.

If you want to create problems for the microwave tower, you might want to find out where it is going to connect to, determine the center point, and try to build a large obstruction right in its path. If it is a large distance the obstruction might not even need to be that high to interfere with the signal. A completely legal 15 meter object might just do it. (A big metalized mylar balloon could even be used to do the job.) That will force them to either raise the height of the towers to clear the obstruction, hopefully making the whole idea not cost effective, or to relocate the antenna elsewhere.

Chances are though, the distance is going to be very short and your chances of disrupting the signal enough to halt the project are minimal. In this case, you probably don't have many legal options unless you want to spend alot of money and get permission to build a highrise condominium in the path.

One of the best parts of owning property in Thailand is that there are few zoning laws. One of the worst parts of owning property in Thailand is that there are few zoning laws....

There is no easy answer to that question. To a first order the sidelobes near a parabolic dish are almost entirely dictated by the gain and shape of the antenna, which is basically a function of size, and whether it is shrouded. A very high gain, shrouded parabolic antenna will have much lower leakage right next to it than a low gain unshrouded antenna. To a lesser degree, it is also dependent on frequency, which is in turn dictated by the company they are leasing the spectrum from and what frequencies they were assigned by the government.

Also, the pattern is extremely unlikely to be uniform. It could very well by 0dB at one point and 20dB just a few meters over.

Within the main beam, like all electromagentic waves, it is determined by the inverse square law. The beam will propagate out in a cone whose angle is determined by the gain of the antenna. Similarly, on the receiving side, the antenna will receive signals in a cone that propagates outward from the antenna. Where these two cones meet will create a circle of a maximum radius, which taken together with the 2 antennas creates an ellipsoid. This called the Fresnel zone, and the antenna installers will need to make sure this zone is completely clear of any obstructions.

If you want to create problems for the microwave tower, you might want to find out where it is going to connect to, determine the center point, and try to build a large obstruction right in its path. If it is a large distance the obstruction might not even need to be that high to interfere with the signal. A completely legal 15 meter object might just do it. (A big metalized mylar balloon could even be used to do the job.) That will force them to either raise the height of the towers to clear the obstruction, hopefully making the whole idea not cost effective, or to relocate the antenna elsewhere.

Chances are though, the distance is going to be very short and your chances of disrupting the signal enough to halt the project are minimal. In this case, you probably don't have many legal options unless you want to spend alot of money and get permission to build a highrise condominium in the path.

One of the best parts of owning property in Thailand is that there are few zoning laws. One of the worst parts of owning property in Thailand is that there are few zoning laws....

Thank you for the excellent explanation Monomial ! I appreciate it !

I don't really want to obstruct it or make problems for them. I suspect it is in a

planning stage at the moment, as they just put up the signs.

I will visit an attorney tomorrow and explore what legal right I have.

If that all fails, I'll have to research what I can do to protect myself and my kids.

I have to young daughters, and my concern is mostly for them.

Edited by luudee

Cell towers use beam forming antannas to make multiple cells per tower and frequency re-use easier and are usually quite high up so if your right under them you wont be receiving the full radiation, even if max antenna downtilt is used

Also its no use being paranoid about cell towers which only pump out a few hundred watts (which is split up directionally) as opposed to VHF radio and TV antannas that transmit at 1,000,000 watts and are often set up in residential areas if no mountain ranges around

I doubt you have any rights. The company I work for has an AIS tower on the roof of one of the buildings it owns.

AIS provided us with a contract. A director signed it and the mast went up. That's about it really.

Oddly enough it is harmless. I have built enough of these towers in about 20 countries around the world from 1987 to 2009 and I have not been affected by radiation in any way.

In the 30 odd years of mobile phones being used worldwide there is no proof that radiation will affect human life as we know it.

You would have more problems with a leaky microwave oven than a cellphone tower.

However if that is what you believe then who am I to say that you are wrong.

Surely when you are building these towers they aren't switched on.

So why would they effect you?

^ Sure, with most people, though some people are susceptible to low rad, small amounts will do little harm, depends who you listen too, the "industry" is certainly going to hide the truth!

But living next door to one! no thanks, they used to tell us power lines were not harmful as well & roundup & asbestos & smoking & numerous other things.

Smoked asbestos all my life.......never did me any harmlaugh.png

Oddly enough it is harmless. I have built enough of these towers in about 20 countries around the world from 1987 to 2009 and I have not been affected by radiation in any way.

In the 30 odd years of mobile phones being used worldwide there is no proof that radiation will affect human life as we know it.

You would have more problems with a leaky microwave oven than a cellphone tower.

Silly me, i thought they turn them off when building the tower...tongue.pngtongue.png

Who do you think tests the system to get it on the air and who maintains the system as well?

I have done all of those things whilst working on towers etc for over 20 years.

Who do you think tests the system to get it on the air and who maintains the system as well?

Which takes a few hours.

Hardly living with them are you?

Which takes a few hours.

Hardly living with them are you?

I am speaking from practical experience. What experience are you speaking from?

Well if you are correct and I am wrong, there will be thousands of guys all over the world suffering various diseases and literally millions of people living close to and under cell towers worldwide suffering as well. If this is so then there will be lots of reports on the internet and social websites about it because with that many people it will be impossible to hide.

Here are some reports from the internet.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/cellular-phone-towers

http://www.eastcountymagazine.org/cell_phone_towers_238

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/security-securite/radiation/devices-dispositifs/consumer-consommateur/cell-eng.php

https://www.safespaceprotection.com/emf-health-risks/emf-health-effects/cell-towers/

http://www.earthcalm.ca/index_files/EMFs_Living_Near_Cell_Towers.htm#.V0WrVGwaRPY

http://ask.metafilter.com/188753/Love-the-houseexcept-for-that-cell-phone-tower-in-the-backyard

I have done some research on it. Now it is your turn.

I won't convince you and you won't convince me.

I believe it is harmless and you don't.