British activist faces jail threat in Thailand as trial starts over worker abuse research

webfact

British activist faces jail threat in Thailand as trial starts over worker abuse research
By Philip Sherwell, Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A leading British human rights activist has gone on trial in Bangkok on charges that carry up to seven years in jail for exposing allegations of labour abuses at a Thai company.

Andy Hall has been pursued through the Thai courts relentlessly since early 2013 in a series of cases brought by Natural Fruit Company, a pineapple juice business that supplied European and US markets.

Mr Hall, a Thai speaker who has lived in the kingdom for 11 years, is one of the country’s most prominent campaigners for the rights of migrant workers in the seafood and agricultural industries.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/19/british-activist-faces-jail-threat-in-thailand-as-trial-starts-o/

-- The Telegraph 2016-05-20

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the fruit company dropped the case on Andy, Or is it some other entity going after him now?

So exactly what are the charges? And who is filing them?

Yet again a half cocked story, saying the charges carry several years in gaol but no mention of the charges? Are they liable? computer crimes? What?

Time to google Andy again.

Good luck mate, fighting for human rights in a country that continually spouts they never violate human rights and yet several time a day we see what is really going on.

I wonder how the junta boy's will defend this? article 44 could put this away for good.

He certainly deserves accolades for his tenacity, time and doing the right thing. Good luck Andy

Absolutely, knowing what we know about Thailand I can only assume he travels everywhere with a wheelbarrow in which to carry the enormous balls he must have, because over money and business people have been shot for less. A lot of respect for the guy, and absolute contempt for that <deleted> fruit company.

It states he could be jailed for two years on criminal defamation charges.

The company whose owner also heads the Thai pineapple industry association and is elder brother of a former cabinet minister for labour....( interesting given the claims) says "the information is false."

Mr Hall claims labour abuses occurred .

What's interesting is the EU diplomats watching the proceedings.

After the loss of face recently by a delegation talking with YS instead of NCPO over trade offers for democracy improvements ....the PM might see this case as a way of giving a black eye back to those that dare smear Thailand.

Whilst I admire Mr Halls courage and work it is gullible to think consequences won't flow in such a corrupt situation.

The government like to silence people westerners included who might raise further questions on not just companies but them.

We are reminded in the article he wrote on the Burmese migrant workers who same will claim were stitched up, for the murders of two British back packers also.

So this man is no light weight.

He has the article informs worked with Aung San Suu Kyi so he is very capable and appears clean cut and diligent and I assume honest .

Given the tier 3 level and highlighted slavery on fishing vessels .

It's not a huge extension of plausibility to imagine the labour abuses of immigrant workers appears elsewhere.

So we have an interesting case where connected Thais seek damages and possibly a ruling that also includes jail time ,as well as future expulsion from the kingdom ( if he survives the jail term)

And on the other human rights groups and EU who can wave a red card in the Thai governments face at any time.

This case perhaps the final straw.

A poised seafood industry under a cloud .

Other human rights abuses in the spotlight.

How the Thais handle this will be interesting.

They already have his passport so fleeing is not an option .

Though I would if I were him ( as well as many members here who can guess the script)

One likely outcome is they say "this man damaged and defamed the good name of this Thai company and affected its trade adversely."

And the court imposes a jail term and demands many millions of baht before he is released ?

The media from the Government side run with the story of big mouthed Farang taught lesson .

And Thais needing to vent their personal life's frustration applaud.

The bottom line is with this case and the Facebook mother and Gang of 8 and so many more including former PM the judicial system is in the spotlight.

The world is noticing what's going on.

Travel agents are saying how nice Vietnam is when general asian enquiries are made.

Thailand is very much in the news too much and for the wrong reasons.

It's been two years and the military have kept a lid on things thus far.

But pressures are building.

It's one thing to jail Thais unfairly in this current situation that the elite class insists is necessary procedures .

But the protocols will vanish if westerners start getting locked up for essentially telling what is most likely the truth.

The military are going to have to let this guy walk if their reasoning is sound.

The fact it made court is disgraceful and highlights the ""who you know"" mentality here.

Allegations unproved are also a serious thing.

But I very much doubt he would make this stuff up.

Lets hope he can prove it in court.

I have a sneaking suspicion his witnesses have long gone and no one will testify against the company in courts stacked with folks drooling for farang blood.

This case might just cause much more trouble than a drop in sales.

Lets see what the Thais do.

My money is on guilty and all hell breaking loose.

I was under the impression that the fruit company dropped the case on Andy, Or is it some other entity going after him now?

Yet again a half cocked story, saying the charges carry several years in gaol but no mention of the charges? Are they liable? computer crimes? What?

Time to google Andy again.

Good luck mate, fighting for human rights in a country that continually spouts they never violate human rights and yet several time a day we see what is really going on.

I wonder how the junta boy's will defend this? article 44 could put this away for good.

Same case, same company, the Thai judicial system is mind numbingly slow and appeal after appeal may be turned, overturned and so on from criminal court to supreme, or what have you, I am no legal expert I'm afraid so excuse the vague nature of my post.

In Thailand, when speaking up against the establishment and the big money, one has to take in to account that

it might act as a boomerang and come back to bite him on the ass,

meaning, not all battles should be fought, and if you must fight, choose your battles carefully.....

Edited by ezzra

In Thailand, when speaking up against the establishment and the big money, one has to take in to account that

meaning, not all battles should be fought, and if you must fight, choose your battles carefully.....

I expect that Hall, like Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, has long since accepted that he may have to pay a big price sooner or later. It doesn't stop them, because they are committed to change. Hall would be my candidate for the most impressive foreigner in Thailand.

Edited by CaptHaddock

Whilst I admire Mr Halls courage and work it is gullible to think consequences won't flow in such a corrupt situation.

The government like to silence people westerners included who might raise further questions on not just companies but them.

Why do you think he was gullible? - having been here 11 years I'd guess he knew what was likely to happen. The world gives very little time to activist journalists in the main stream press so good to see the Telegraph covering the story still.

The EU,if its worth anything,needs to start the process of burying the Thai food, fish and fruit export to Europe business. This is another legitimate reason, along with Thailand putting 100% import tariff on western food,which is deemed a luxury!

Why do you think he was gullible? - having been here 11 years I'd guess he knew what was likely to happen. The world gives very little time to activist journalists in the main stream press so good to see the Telegraph covering the story still.

I acknowledge he may well understand the risks including death.

And apologise.

He and others are courageous and their sacrifices admirable.

The company whose owner also heads the Thai pineapple industry association and is elder brother of a former cabinet minister for labour....( interesting given the claims) says "the information is false."

After the loss of face recently by a delegation talking with YS instead of NCPO over trade offers for democracy improvements ....the PM might see this case as a way of giving a black eye back to those that dare smear Thailand.

We are reminded in the article he wrote on the Burmese migrant workers who same will claim were stitched up, for the murders of two British back packers also.

He has the article informs worked with Aung San Suu Kyi so he is very capable and appears clean cut and diligent and I assume honest .

It's not a huge extension of plausibility to imagine the labour abuses of immigrant workers appears elsewhere.

So we have an interesting case where connected Thais seek damages and possibly a ruling that also includes jail time ,as well as future expulsion from the kingdom ( if he survives the jail term)

And on the other human rights groups and EU who can wave a red card in the Thai governments face at any time.

Though I would if I were him ( as well as many members here who can guess the script)

One likely outcome is they say "this man damaged and defamed the good name of this Thai company and affected its trade adversely."

And the court imposes a jail term and demands many millions of baht before he is released ?

The media from the Government side run with the story of big mouthed Farang taught lesson .

The bottom line is with this case and the Facebook mother and Gang of 8 and so many more including former PM the judicial system is in the spotlight.

Travel agents are saying how nice Vietnam is when general asian enquiries are made.

It's one thing to jail Thais unfairly in this current situation that the elite class insists is necessary procedures .

But the protocols will vanish if westerners start getting locked up for essentially telling what is most likely the truth.

The military are going to have to let this guy walk if their reasoning is sound.

The fact it made court is disgraceful and highlights the ""who you know"" mentality here.

I have a sneaking suspicion his witnesses have long gone and no one will testify against the company in courts stacked with folks drooling for farang blood.

"Lets hope he can prove it in court.

I have a sneaking suspicion his witnesses have long gone and no one will testify against the company in courts stacked with folks drooling for farang blood."

I stand to be corrected, but I believe in Thai Law even if Andy Hall can prove he has told the truth about the HR abuses, he will lose the case if the plaintiff can prove that what he said/wrote damaged the reputation of the company.

So here's a defamation case, just to make your life miserable. They won't jail him, the last thing they need is a "cause celebre" in the middle of Thailand. They will deport him - "outta sight, outta mind". What's said outside of Thailand, stays outside of Thailand.

The company has been very bold in pursuing this case as it could end up with a boycott of their products by western countries. A boycott could also inadvertently affect other food producers in Thailand who are exporters.

Can be applied to many countries, including my own, eh?

Sad thing is you write about a story of slave labour and most in the west won't care. Just another article about people they don't know and don't care about. You jail the activist for exposing slave labour, and you'll have an uproar from more people.

Thailand has to learn how things work in the outside world. Social media is getting more and more powerful.

I've had some correspondence with Andy Hall re; the KT double murder from Sept. 2014. We both agree the case is a blatant and botched cover-up, but I can more readily say so, whereas Andy has to be more careful (what he openly says) because he bravely uses his real name. I hide behind a pseudonym. I truly hope Andy stays safe. It's tough going against corrupt, politically powerful, very rich power structures. More than a few activists (estimate between 100 and 200) in Thailand have been murdered, and there's never any meaningful investigation afterwards.

In SE Asia, it's not a figurative expression to say an activist risks life and limb for their cause.

Just last week there was an article about active environmentalists in Cambodia. Several have been murdered trying to stand up against illegal and quasi-legal loggers (usually tied-in with corrupt village headmen). It showed a photo of a forest dwelling activist who had her foot nearly hacked off while she slept on the ground. There's some bad shit happening, and rather than gov't trying to rectify things, they're exacerbating the destruction.

Spot on.

'The most serious case – charges of criminal defamation and computer crimes for allegedly uploading the information online – has now reached court. Mr Hall denies any wrongdoing.'

What part of that do you not understand?

The courts might well side with Andy Hall on this, as they did in the case of the Navy bullying a (online?) newspaper editor recently. But in reality the world doesn't care about Thailand. No trade sanctions, only endless warnings and tut tuts when the legally elected government is overthrown (again) by the military. Thailand is an insignificant backwater on the world stage, financially, politically and socially. No-one really cares, despite what the locals might think.

This is a cause clearly worth fighting for. Just because it's an uphill battle or one that he might even lose doesn't mean it's not worth the effort. My hat is off to the gentleman for having the courage to take this on. I'm sure he understands the risks involved.

I am in no way in favour of military coups.

However, looking back, what would have been the alternative?

Civil war? Breaking up of the country?

Ok, a coup if necessary, but then the military brass should immediately declare election in 10 months - firm. No ifs ands or buts. And what's with this 'every time there's a coup, the Constitution must be re-written bs'? A coup is a coup, a constitution is a constitution. Another proof Thai officials can't think outside the box.

Will the EU consumers led by the Importers threaten to boycott the Thai companies in support of Andy and force them to drop the case? Will the Government seriously examine the proven and on going abuse of migrant workers and pursue those companies? ??????