Floating Market Kathu

The Big Mango

We live nearby. So far no tour buses with Chinese tourists but that will surely be a matter of time. Several shops haven't opened yet. I've been told many were only rented with the intention to sublet or to sell with a profit.

I was told the admission for Thai people is free...

I thought that there would not no admission fee to visit the market?

I live only 500 mtr from it and also i did not see any buses yet.

200 baht to get in to look (as for sure the prices are higher) at the EXACTLY same stuff sold at all of the other markets, WHY, if not for the Chinese tour bus's?

i have heard that to get a space is 300,000 key money

Went to have a look yesterday. Busy with mainly Thai people. Saw a handful of farang visitors. No Chinese in sight. There was a handwritten sign on the counter at the entrance saying "300 Baht admission fee". I ignored that. Many shops not open yet. Still in the process of decorating and stocking up.

I am not an expert but prices did not seem any higher than at other markets.

There is a small food court in the back where no seat could be found. People standing next to tables waiting for others to leave.

Also at the podium at the entrance there were traditional Thai music and dancing performances going on.

There is no key money. It is a yearly contract fee. 85,000 for a small space and 170,000 for a larger space. On top of that 2,000 respectively 4,000 monthly rent for garbage collection, security all that. Obviously electricity at an inflated rate. So the daily rate is approximately 300 Baht for a small unit which is in line with what you pay for a small space at any (outdoor) market. Although rumour has it that the yearly contract fees meanwhile have gone up due to high demand. People who signed contracts early 2015 and were told the market would open in November (just before the high season) were allowed to cancel their contracts and get their money back because of the delays. The new tenants than paid higher prices is what I heard. I doubt that the 170,000 contracts have gone up to 300,000 already, but you never know.

The admission fee might put a lot of people off. I understand that they attracted investors by telling them: we expect 1,000 tourists a day in the high season. So we take 9 million in admission fees alone in one month. You will have your 3 million Baht back in no time. I heard the builders are the same people involved in the Pattaya floating market where the admission fee is 200 Baht, so they will have some experience whether people are willing to pay that. I hope JungCeylon will not copy the concept and start charging visitors at the entrance.

Went to have a look yesterday. Busy with mainly Thai people. Saw a handful of farang visitors. No Chinese in sight. There was a handwritten sign on the counter at the entrance saying "300 Baht admission fee". I ignored that. Many shops not open yet. Still in the process of decorating and stocking up.

I am not an expert but prices did not seem any higher than at other markets.

There is a small food court in the back where no seat could be found. People standing next to tables waiting for others to leave.

Also at the podium at the entrance there were traditional Thai music and dancing performances going on.

There is no key money. It is a yearly contract fee. 85,000 for a small space and 170,000 for a larger space. On top of that 2,000 respectively 4,000 monthly rent for garbage collection, security all that. Obviously electricity at an inflated rate. So the daily rate is approximately 300 Baht for a small unit which is in line with what you pay for a small space at any (outdoor) market. Although rumour has it that the yearly contract fees meanwhile have gone up due to high demand. People who signed contracts early 2015 and were told the market would open in November (just before the high season) were allowed to cancel their contracts and get their money back because of the delays. The new tenants than paid higher prices is what I heard. I doubt that the 170,000 contracts have gone up to 300,000 already, but you never know.

The admission fee might put a lot of people off. I understand that they attracted investors by telling them: we expect 1,000 tourists a day in the high season. So we take 9 million in admission fees alone in one month. You will have your 3 million Baht back in no time. I heard the builders are the same people involved in the Pattaya floating market where the admission fee is 200 Baht, so they will have some experience whether people are willing to pay that. I hope JungCeylon will not copy the concept and start charging visitors at the entrance.

Seems the sub leasing has started ,

Only 33k a month ??? ???

Good luck to the owner hope he gets it , but wow thats a bit of a price hike from the 9k ish a month it was originally ???

Sure its kitted out , but is it the right theme for that location ???

Heck the owner may well be a member here as one would assume he's a Brit.

post-233254-14639898734081_thumb.jpg