A Caution About Atm Cards...

Physherman

My US bank put a 'warm hold' on my ATM card. This means that the card was not canceled, but not usable until I contacted them.

They told me the reason for the 'warm hold' (vs 'hot hold' which is a cancelation) was because it's been used several times in Thailand and they were afraid that someone else was fraudulently using it. Very nice of them, and observent too, but a bit of a problem when they told me that to correct the problem I'd have to come into the main branch and show some ID.

Fortunately I was dealing with humans and not machines, and when I explained that I hadn't been in the US for the past three years, nor did I expect to be there during the next three, they were willing to just ask me some detailed questions about my account (i.e. 'how much was my last deposit,' ' what was my last check number to clear, 'etc.) they removed the warm hold on the card so I could use it again. They also made a notation on my file that I would be using the card most frequently from SE Asia, so not to make that same mistake.

If you are planning to use your western ATM card when visiting here or living here, it's a good idea to let your western bank know that it will be seeing foreign bank machines show up often, and you can avoid the problem. I got lucky. There were real people on the other end of the phone line. That's doesn't happen too often any more.

The Fly Fisherman

Edited by Physherman

When I moved to Tokyo 3+ yrs ago, after several uses, my Amex Gold got cancelled.

After a call and some security questions they re-enabled it. Told me, it's their standard practice to pick unusual locations of use of the cards.

Had I called them and announced I'll be overseas, they would have not done anything.

Good advice the original poster has prompted - especially for those possesing only 1 ATM or credit card - tell the issuer to expect it's use in Thailand.

Edited by think_too_mut

Good advice the original poster has prompted - especially for those possesing only 1 ATM or credit card - tell the issuer to expect it's use in Thailand.

I agree. I've had mine stopped a couple of times due to not following my normal patterns. A quick call, several questions to verify I am who I say I am and it was good to go again.

I had the same problem with the 'warm hold' as I was moving alot between Bahrain, Thailand and Vietnam. No problem, I simply called them to ask what was goin' on and we sorted it straight away.

I agree with the OP...if there is a perceptible change in your living location that would give the card issuer cause for concern (like being used in 'dodgy countries' such as SEA) best to let them know to avoid hassles later on...

Good advice, indeed. However, I never tell my bank or my credit card company that I LIVE in Thailand, for fear they'd brand me in some bad way.

Also, before making a major purchase in Thailand by credit card, which I no longer do, I would phone my cc headquarters and tell them to expect an authorization request, such as from a store in Bangkok. I bought the new laptop like that. Now, it's easier to just go to the ATM in advance.

Also, my ATM is limited by the issuer to US$520 in a 24 hour period. When I need more, I phone and get up to ten days of US$1020 permission. That's how I bought a used truck.

Good advice, indeed. However, I never tell my bank or my credit card company that I LIVE in Thailand, for fear they'd brand me in some bad way.

Where do your statements go, to your home country?

I've shifted my bank and credit card mailing addresses quite a bit around the Gulf area and recently in Thailand...whenever I thought that I was gonna be staying in a place for a while. There never has been a problem resulting therefrom as I'm aware. However, I've been a customer in good standing for both cards for about 15 years so maybe that makes a difference...

Also, before making a major purchase in Thailand by credit card, which I no longer do, I would phone my cc headquarters and tell them to expect an authorization request, such as from a store in Bangkok. I bought the new laptop like that. Now, it's easier to just go to the ATM in advance.

Also, my ATM is limited by the issuer to US$520 in a 24 hour period. When I need more, I phone and get up to ten days of US$1020 permission. That's how I bought a used truck.

I maintain a permenent address in the US, and my bank statements all go there along with some direct automatic deposits. As far as the bank now knows, I live there and only visit here often.

The young woman who helped me on the phone did suggest that if I was planning a large purchase and needed more cash with my card to let them know in advance, especially if coming out of Thailand, and they would up my daily limit as well. It's refreshing to get good customer service from US firms. That hasn't happened in a long time.

The Fly Fisherman

It seems to happen to me; (warm hold), if I attempt to withdraw by ATM more than my daily limit which is set at GBP 500, for example that is about 35,000 baht so if I forget and attempt to make 2 withdrawals of 20,000 baht my card is locked.

Plus with the time difference between UK and Thailand it is easy to hit the 'warm hold' by withdrawal of too much cash in a 24 hour period.

The biggest pain is getting through to the bank 'hotline' by telephone, minimum 30 minutes listening to Vivaldi or J.S. Bach. Anyone want to buy a second-hand copy of the Four Seasons?

It seems to happen to me; (warm hold), if I attempt to withdraw by ATM more than my daily limit which is set at GBP 500, for example that is about 35,000 baht so if I forget and attempt to make 2 withdrawals of 20,000 baht my card is locked.

Plus with the time difference between UK and Thailand it is easy to hit the 'warm hold' by withdrawal of too much cash in a 24 hour period.

The biggest pain is getting through to the bank 'hotline' by telephone, minimum 30 minutes listening to Vivaldi or J.S. Bach. Anyone want to buy a second-hand copy of the Four Seasons?

yeah, I hear what you're saying...swap you for a second hand copy of the Brandenberg Conciertos?...the service is usually courteous and efficient but even when you tell them they don't seem to realise that you are on hold in the UK from a telephone in SEA...

I had that happen with a credit card. Stuck in Honduras, and the hotel saying that my card was no good.

Like others it took 30 minutes+ to straighten it out.

When I travel, I always call the bank, and CC companies to let them know. Since then, no problems.

Also, before making a major purchase in Thailand by credit card, which I no longer do ....Now, it's easier to just go to the ATM in advance.

Out of curiosity, why do you no longer use a credit card for major purchases in Thailand? Simply giving a blanket altert to your CC bank to expect purchases in Thailand -- some maybe up to your credit limit -- is easy enough to do.

(Curious, because many credit cards on Stateside banks still only charge a 1% foreign exchange fee -- and also give 1% rebates against all purchases, thus zeroing-out any cost. But many ATMs charge the 1% fee, plus a flat fee of several dollars. And credit card purchases have built-in additional warranties, plus you don't have to carry a large wad of cash from one -- or several -- ATM dumps.)

yeah, I hear what you're saying...swap you for a second hand copy of the Brandenberg Conciertos?...the service is usually courteous and efficient but even when you tell them they don't seem to realise that you are on hold in the UK from a telephone in SEA...

Hey, call Loxinfo in Bangkok. They play some really good delta blues, stuff you usually don't get to hear too often. Almost makes being kept on hold for 20 minutes worth it. Almost.

The Fly Fisherman

Also, before making a major purchase in Thailand by credit card, which I no longer do ....Now, it's easier to just go to the ATM in advance.

Out of curiosity, why do you no longer use a credit card for major purchases in Thailand? Simply giving a blanket altert to your CC bank to expect purchases in Thailand -- some maybe up to your credit limit -- is easy enough to do.

(Curious, because many credit cards on Stateside banks still only charge a 1% foreign exchange fee -- and also give 1% rebates against all purchases, thus zeroing-out any cost. But many ATMs charge the 1% fee, plus a flat fee of several dollars. And credit card purchases have built-in additional warranties, plus you don't have to carry a large wad of cash from one -- or several -- ATM dumps.)

Because the credit card company I use is MBNA. Regardless of the Thai merchant adding on a service charge, MBNA adds 3% and if it's cash (even cash against a positive amount I have sitting there) they charge another 3%. And if I should ever really CHARGE something without having extra cash in there, it's an astronomical rate. Forget them! Citibank was just as bad.

Hey, call Loxinfo in Bangkok. They play some really good delta blues, stuff you usually don't get to hear too often. Almost makes being kept on hold for 20 minutes worth it. Almost.

The Fly Fisherman

yeah...I can just hear it...thinking about a big purchase and the 'on hold' music comes up with Robert Johnson and Crossroads...do you think about buying the girlfriend a new house (selling your soul to Mr You Know Who) or do you put the card back in your pocket?...

(tutsi the debbil gestures and hisses 'give that money to meeee...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Because the credit card company I use is MBNA.

Yeah, MBNA (now Bank of America) went from 1% to 3% a couple of years ago. That's when I switched to USAA Mastercard, which only charges a 1% foreign transaction fee, but they also give 1% rebates on all purchases, thus zeroing out the fee. I'm sure there are other credit cards out there still offering good deals -- but they seem to be getting fewer. Many debit/ATM cards, too, have crept past the 1% foreign exchange fee. Of course you won't know this until you do the math -- my bank (Suntrust) even pleaded ignorance when I confronted them. So, USAA now has my banking business too.

And if I should ever really CHARGE something without having extra cash in there, it's an astronomical rate.

Don't quite follow.... ? Are you saying you would have to carry a positve cash balance in a credit card account (which is unusual in itself) to avoid extra charges? Does this have something to do with exceeding your credit limit?

I guess a good way to avoid foreign exchange fees -- and still have the convenience of plastic -- is to use your Thai bank account and its debit card. Yeah, the telex rate used for wire transfers is a few points lower than the interbank exchange rate used for credit card and ATM transactions. But not so after you factor-in the 1% (or 3%) foreign exchange fee. And wire fees can be minimized per unit if several thousands are sent at a time.

IME, warm holds aren't an issue as long as you are really maintaining a valid US residence and phone number. It's for folks that are pretending to be US residents that the bank -in their right- may want to weed out of their customer ranks.

:o