My early ownership comments on the Yamaha R3

JAFO

Interesting topic, can you guys get comfortable on those small 300cc sports bikes?

I will asume most here are over their youth and some are tall too?

Do you use them for touring or just short blasts?

Sadly in the Pattaya area not so many twisted roads so power is nice (fun).

Im 5'10 and all the 300s are fine, i survived 900km in 1 day on the R3 ok. I saw a s1000rr and cbr1000rr the other day, those didnt seem much bigger in overall size

The RC390 should be considered too, i havnt ridden it but its probably the best

I had a 1995 Yamaha TZM 2t 150 for a few months too, awesome commuter and lane filtering little beastie, same horsepower as the ninja300 but smaller lighter. Id never rely on it or take it on long trips though

Edited by Jdiddy

I am tall too, about 1.86 and prefer a more upright riding position.

The worst for me generally on bikes are my knees that are bent too much and I has to get off for streching them.

Hell on my V mk3 I have even lowered the pegs which helps a lot.

I can see the advantages on smaller bikes; nippy, cheap on fuel, cheap on maintanence and so on.

I would highly recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 300. Having rented and ridden the Honda single cylinder 250 in northern Thailand, I thought it was an awful bike, especially as the next day I rented the Ninja 250. Why anybody would want one cylinder is beyond me. I think the Yamaha is a twin, so it should be fun. With the Ninja 300 I could leave the big boys standing at the lights....of course they caught up pretty quickly, but they just couldn't get off the line as fast. Until the 300 was introduced Kawasaki's best selling bike was the 250, and the best selling bike period. There is a reason you can find many new Hondas 250 and 300s for sale as people get disalusioned with them pretty quickly. Ride a twin and you will be converted very quickly.

Tell me the differences between single cylinder and 2, that isn't sound.

There is a massive difference created by the different number of cylinders an engine has:

• Most motorcycles have between 1 and 4 cylinders. They don't choose the number of cylinders to make a different sound, thats just a result of their design choice.
  • Most dirt bikes, for example, have 1 cylinder because the engine can be compact, and it makes working on the engine very, very, simple and easily done by the owner with basic tools.
  • Most road-race bikes are 4 cylinder because the smaller pistons can allow the engine to reach a greater speed, there are some V4s but most are inline 4s.
  • Harleys and other cruisers are generally big V-twin engines which provide a bit of a balance between the characteristics of torquey singles and the smoothness of in-line 4s. Ducati's etc.. are different though
  • Some BMWs have a horizontally opposed configuration and some Moto Guzzis have V-twins mounted 'sideways' instead of the traditional 'front to back'.

Then you can get onto, water-cooled vs. air-cooled, fuel injected vs. carb, 3 cylinders, rotaries, turbos and the list goes on.

By far the cheapest (and nastiest) engine that can be fitted to a road bike is a single cylinder, which is why basically all scooters and small bikes are singles. At the other end of the scale, you have the old Japanese 250cc inline 4 cylinder bikes which were pretty cool for their time and leap years ahead of anything available today.

I remember renting a cbr300 for a few days at pops and then when returning it i spotted an R3 there. Asked for 1 day just to try it out, rode it about 20 meters and decided to go back and rent it for a month, night and day difference between the single and twin

A 286cc single isn't going to hold up much weight against a 321cc twin.

After seeing a few around I finally looked at one up close (R3) and was surprised at how small and compact it was. It looked more like a 150 than a 321. Which of course is a good thing. It must be a blast to ride, high revving, light and nimble.

What's the weight like compared to the CBR286 and Ninja300?

I remember renting a cbr300 for a few days at pops and then when returning it i spotted an R3 there. Asked for 1 day just to try it out, rode it about 20 meters and decided to go back and rent it for a month, night and day difference between the single and twin

A 286cc single isn't going to hold up much weight against a 321cc twin.

After seeing a few around I finally looked at one up close (R3) and was surprised at how small and compact it was. It looked more like a 150 than a 321. Which of course is a good thing. It must be a blast to ride, high revving, light and nimble.

What's the weight like compared to the CBR286 and Ninja300?

R3 169Kg

CBR 165kg

Ninja 175kg

• Like 1

Where is this rental place? I've been looking for nearly a year, a rental place that offers 300cc.

I'm really quite happy with my CBR 300, but strangely find that I prefer to ride my Honda Tena 2 stroke. Just better all round in Bangkok. Love the way the 110cc 2 stroke motor pulls hard from 80-120 kph which is all the speed you want to be doing. Far better zig zagging on the traffic, economy? 33kmpl.

I've tried to replace the Tens with a Yamaha Spark(gutless) and now the CBR, but nothing beats the 2 stroke.

• Like 2

R3 169Kg

CBR 165kg

Ninja 175kg

Unless a cost issue, the bottom two aren't even an option.

A mate of mine is deciding between a CBR500 and and R3, tough call.

He does 400km road trips quite a bit so is leaning towards the CBR for higher cruising speed and more comfortable on the highway.

Kinda seems like choosing a 50 year old lover over a 25 year old one night stand. biggrin.png

• Like 1

R3 169Kg

CBR 165kg

Ninja 175kg

He does 400km road trips quite a bit so is leaning towards the CBR for higher cruising speed and more comfortable on the highway.

Kinda seems like choosing a 50 year old lover over a 25 year old one night stand. biggrin.png

I'd absolutely go the CBR500 route if he reels off 400km road trips. The R3 is definitely not that type of moto. Sure one could do it but that would be a tiring ride I would think. The R3 wants to be flipped back and forth through turns. Sure it is a great bike in tight traffic as well but seems like such a waste. I have a Honda Wave 125 for those traffic runs.

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 1

R3 169Kg

CBR 165kg

Ninja 175kg

I'd absolutely go the CBR500 route if he reels off 400km road trips. The R3 is definitely not that type of moto. Sure one could do it but that would be a tiring ride I would think. The R3 wants to be flipped back and forth through turns. Sure it is a great bike in tight traffic as well but seems like such a waste. I have a Honda Wave 125 for those traffic runs.

I had a CBX and an R3 and to be honest for me there was not a lot in it really and I used to do 4 or 5 hour rides regularly, both are fairly upright with no weight on the wrists, there was a bit less angle on the knees with the CBX which was nice after a few hours but I found both pretty comfortable for longish trips, I would imagine the CBR would be even closer to the R3. One thing that did annoy me with the R3 is the mirrors but other than that I thought it was a really nice good fun little bike and much more fun to ride than the Honda

• Like 1

That's also the quandary.

to have just one bike (a Jack of all Trades)

Or to have a city bike/scooter, and to have a weekend/touring bike.

The CBR500/R3 kind of fit the mold as the Jack of all trades bikes. Acceptable in the city and on the highway.

Or else a Ninja/CBR650 for weekend touring and PCX scooter for weekday city riding.

Tough call. biggrin.png

Edited by Happy Grumpy

I have the CBR 300 R.. ok.. but looking to move up to the CB 500 X.. for the higher and more comfortable riding position.

Also have to ask my Thai wife for my huevos back so I can buy it..

whistling.giffacepalm.gif

Yep. The new single stroke single cylinder hondas are boring like hell to drive compared to a 2 stroke however they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the 2 cylinder models and offer better fuel economy.

• 3 weeks later...

The R3 is a moped for children who "want show as on sport bike"???

The R3 is a very respectable entry bike (the best under 500 cc bike imo).It is plenty for getting around town and will carve up the mountains quite nicely assuming you are competent. I have a friend with one who can ride circles around the 650s in the group because he knows how to ride it...

R3 its normal if you not more 170 cm tall and not more 70 kg( so for children) if 180cm and up and 90 kg and up its discomfort and moped not GO... in mountains

If you competent ofcouse you can ride moped for children or for guus who start drive.

No slipper clutch

Non-adustabke front fork.

Sport bike? ;)

Yes its moped look as sport bike. And yes this is moped can give some fun.

Company need make money. So do it.

And for Thailand its not very usable.

In the city is slow slow traffic and requires sharp turns in the lane.

So niked(street) bike or moped be much better. I am even not talking about small scooter.

in the mountains a lot of steep descent, and Wake up. This scooter is not very good engine braking. and obviously do not have the power to feel confident on the steep hillup road in mountains an normal adult male of 90 kg.

PS

Try RC390 its much more better on track for children;)

Or duke 390 much better for Thai road. Or even duke 200.

Duke 690 ...?

Edited by ardokano

I have a friend with one who can ride circles around the 650s in the group because he knows how to ride it...

That's a good point!

The neophytes are often obsessed with cc's but have no clue as to power weight ratios much less how to actually ride a bike. Take one down to the track and they get smoked by some 13-year-old on an old Honda Nova. That shuts them up real quick..giggle.gif

Regardless, the new color looks great. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

if you not more 170 cm tall and not more 70 kg( so for children)

Wait wait wait. So if you are less than 170 cm and 70 kg you are a child?

I wish somebody told me.

I'm 24 years old, 185 cm, and 65 kg. I thought being 24 made me an adult... I'm happy to hear that I'm a child though. I'll go turn in my ID asap.

if you not more 170 cm tall and not more 70 kg( so for children)

Wait wait wait. So if you are less than 170 cm and 70 kg you are a child?

I wish somebody told me.

I'm 24 years old, 185 cm, and 65 kg. I thought being 24 made me an adult... I'm happy to hear that I'm a child though. I'll go turn in my ID asap.

Oh My I am 176cm and 71kg. I must be a young adult.. LOL..

Ardokano sounds a bit like a newbie to the moto world DELETED

Edited by seedy
flaming
  • Like 2