I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

Even when we're in town and eating in the malls we always head for the Thai food section. Thais aren't very good at imitations, and that includes imitations of farang food.

I must be doing something wrong, because every time I eat in the Thai food section, I get the shakes and I'm hungry and very sleepy (to the point of being crabby) 30 minutes later.

That's not so prevalent in more expensive places, so I chalked it up to MSG in cheap Thai food, but maybe it's something else?

Because I love the flavors- but many Thai foods don't appear to like me.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no connection between how much money a person spends and how good of life they have. Fresh air,exercise good eating habits,that's what gives you a good life.Rich or poor that is all you need to have a good life. Bike rides last hours cost nothing.Hikes cost nothing.Go swimming very cheap. Join a gym cheap. A person can fill their time for free and be happy and healthy.In Canada you see more rich people in walking clubs,bridge clubs,dance clubs than average joes. They just want the social atmosphere. Do not need money to be social and they know it.

Now if you feel you need to drink cognac,eat caviar to have a good life,then of course you need money. But in my humble opinion you also need a priority check.

In thailand you can be outside all year everyday and stay healthy.Health is wealth my mother always told me.

I am not saying come here with nothing and live on nothing . But I am saying can live here cheap and healthy and watch your networth grow faster than in your home country,even in retirement.When back home old people are spending their networth to survive.

Health is wealth until you get in a traffic accident or have health issues or complications and not have any medical insurace or cash in the bank and then come back and tell me there is no connection between money and health

Your not living mate your existing, good luck with that it can have its down side

What a bunch of nonsense.

How do you know he's existing?

I posted a similar thread a while back being a cheap Charlie and all. I find it challenging to spend 30k a month. I don't have any accommodation expenses and stay in nice hotels about 8 times a month (posting this from millenium hilton). Most stays paid with credit card points.

Find a woman that doesn't expect you to build her a house or even better that owns one like in my case and you'll be saving a bunch of money in Thailand without "existing".

The OP has less than 15k per month and he/she has accommodation expenses.

But good for you living large on 30k and not having to pay for accommodation.

Health is wealth until you get in a traffic accident or have health issues or complications and not have any medical insurance or cash in the bank and then come back and tell me there is no connection between money and health

That's true, but if the OP is spending a small fraction of the same money on living expenses, wouldn't it stand to reason he'd have more available for insurance and for such emergencies?

He didn't say he was strapped. He said he was living on less.

Edited by impulse

I see no connection between how much money a person spends and how good of life they have. Fresh air,exercise good eating habits,that's what gives you a good life.Rich or poor that is all you need to have a good life. Bike rides last hours cost nothing.Hikes cost nothing.Go swimming very cheap. Join a gym cheap. A person can fill their time for free and be happy and healthy.In Canada you see more rich people in walking clubs,bridge clubs,dance clubs than average joes. They just want the social atmosphere. Do not need money to be social and they know it.

Now if you feel you need to drink cognac,eat caviar to have a good life,then of course you need money. But in my humble opinion you also need a priority check.

In thailand you can be outside all year everyday and stay healthy.Health is wealth my mother always told me.

I am not saying come here with nothing and live on nothing . But I am saying can live here cheap and healthy and watch your networth grow faster than in your home country,even in retirement.When back home old people are spending their networth to survive.

Health is wealth until you get in a traffic accident or have health issues or complications and not have any medical insurace or cash in the bank and then come back and tell me there is no connection between money and health

Did you read the complete post?

You must have missed the part about increasing networth. Or maybe you do not understand net worth.It is like money in the bank. If every year you have more money in the bank I feel that is security against tragedies but of course no one can protect from every thing but building up net worth sure is a hedge against unforseen costs.

so your post was relatively unecessary huh.

If all I wanted was one room, no hot water in the kitchen sink or bathroom

Sink, two fat people on an old motorbike, eat at the local flea market each

Day, sit in front of a fan, to cheap to use the A/C, dress only in a"T" shirt and

Shorts....Wow life in Thailand is really cheap....and everywhere else too if

That's how you want to exhaust.

I wonder how the OP would cope with a spill on that scooter, or bitten by the wrong mosquito and lands in hospital. Yes you can live very cheaply here, but some unforseen things ? Like illness and accident can be very costly.

Exactly.

That's precisely one of the main reasons why I left Thailand. I had a good job (100K++) and I really felt much richer than I feel today back in Europe. But then I realised that I was getting older and that if I were to get sick or have an accident I could end up on the streets within months. No safety net at all. Well, unless you are wise enough to save most of what you earn. I'm not.

It must be hard living with the worry of having an accident 24/7.

I wonder how the OP would cope with a spill on that scooter, or bitten by the wrong mosquito and lands in hospital. Yes you can live very cheaply here, but some unforseen things ? Like illness and accident can be very costly.

Exactly.

That's precisely one of the main reasons why I left Thailand. I had a good job (100K++) and I really felt much richer than I feel today back in Europe. But then I realised that I was getting older and that if I were to get sick or have an accident I could end up on the streets within months. No safety net at all. Well, unless you are wise enough to save most of what you earn. I'm not.

100k++ baht or euro or usd ?

Why no health insurance ?

100K++ bahts per month, over 10 years ago. That was a comfortable salary then. Not sure about now.

Well, minimal health insurance. Not something you want to rely on when the Big Bad Illness strikes (and I know what I'm talking about).

Doesn't pay for your lost job either.

You really get to see the good aspects of a "nanny state" in such a situation.

Edited by Lannig

Well, if you can find better on a local hire, nice to you clap2.gif

depends on what you was doing I guess but if it was flipping Roti's on a mobile cart I reckon I could find a local that does better.

I once met a back packer that walked all the way to Chaing Mai from Bangkok because he felt that the cost of the bus trip from BKK to Chaing Mai was too expensive.

He told me he came to Thailand with 600 dollars to last for 6 months on 2 x 90 days tourist visas

He had his little pup tent in his large back pack and claimed he walked nearly everywhere he wanted to go while meeting people along the way and sleeping where ever he could pitch his tent and bought food that he would make last for 2 days.

I told him just get to Koh Chang and stay there for 6 months and do not exhaust yourself walking every where ...but he said he liked to walk and see the country and meet the people

I figured it was more like a pilgrimage than a vacation or even an adventure for that matter but he was adamant that is what he enjoyed doing and going about it in that way and seemed to be proud and even boastful about how cheaply he was existing.

Thailand attracts all kinds and plenty of people trying to be here for as long as they can and stretch their money while allowing themselves to continue to Just being here....and that is satisfying enough for them.

Cheers

depends on what you was doing I guess but if it was flipping Roti's on a mobile cart I reckon I could find a local that does better.

Not my point, I meant: if you can find a better salary when hired by a Thai company, as opposed to being sent here by some multinational company.

Won't elaborate on my job here, it's off-topic and I've mentioned it elsewhere in the forum. I'm no marketing guru or investment/stock exchange wizard as these people usually can grab the higher salaries. I'm just a guy who makes things work in my domain.

Edited by Lannig

If the OP is happy with his life, its no business of anybody else.

Enjoy your life mate, be happy.

Well, until he posts about in a public discussion forum.

Yes, I agree that if he's happy, that's fine, but if he puts his business on a public forum, you can't then say it's no one else's business.

Comparing prices 'back home' with prices here is classic newbie. Consider the bus price from Gatwick to Heathrow; it is relative when one is earning real money.

Right! I agree totally. People are always spending with the currency conversion in mind. BAD IDEA.

Comparing prices 'back home' with prices here is classic newbie. Consider the bus price from Gatwick to Heathrow; it is relative when one is earning real money.

A one hour bus journey from one city to another town or city is about 10GBP back in Scotland.

Capitalist bast@rds.

Even when we're in town and eating in the malls we always head for the Thai food section. Thais aren't very good at imitations, and that includes imitations of farang food.

I must be doing something wrong, because every time I eat in the Thai food section, I get the shakes and I'm hungry and very sleepy (to the point of being crabby) 30 minutes later.

That's not so prevalent in more expensive places, so I chalked it up to MSG in cheap Thai food, but maybe it's something else?

It's probably the MSG, sugar and salt. Or perhaps the ubiquitous chili.

No-one has to eat Thai food here if they don't want to. All it takes is going to one of the multitude of Thai daily markets, where one can buy fish,meat, vegetables and fruit at very low cost, then take it home and cook it themselves.

I've been eating market food here for over 7 years,and have never been sick on it even once. It's not hard to discern the good food stalls, there are clusters of Thais around them.

If all I wanted was one room, no hot water in the kitchen sink or bathroom

Sink, two fat people on an old motorbike, eat at the local flea market each

Day, sit in front of a fan, to cheap to use the A/C, dress only in a"T" shirt and

Shorts....Wow life in Thailand is really cheap....and everywhere else too if

That's how you want to exhaust.

This topic is about living cheaply in Thailand, not exhaust systems.

Just back from the supermarket.

Cheese, sausage, slab of cider and a 4 pack of Heinz Beans. About 5 times the cost of the UK.

The things we are used to are costly in Thailand, or at least the same price if not more.

Get Hep B and pay 20,000 Baht a month for six months to a year for foreign made medicines from a Thai hospital with no receipt to claim for insurance, because the bill is made out to the hospital not to you.

Give him a few years and his wallet will be open.

It's probably the MSG, sugar and salt. Or perhaps the ubiquitous chili.

No-one has to eat Thai food here if they don't want to. All it takes is going to one of the multitude of Thai daily markets, where one can buy fish,meat, vegetables and fruit at very low cost, then take it home and cook it themselves.

Not sure which is worse, getting the shakes, or eating my own cooking. Since I work crazy hours, shopping, chopping, cooking, eating and cleaning up after my own cooking is usually not an option- which isn't such a bad thing.

Farang buying power goes much further in much of SE except Singaporte. What many farang dont take into account when they move to the region is how poor infrastructure and developing economy negatively affects quality of life.

There's a reason average lifespan is at least 10yrs less than in developed countries. Better infrastructure, stronger enforcement of regulations and more environmentally aware populace translates into cleaner air, safer water, higher quality food and proper refuse disposal.

It may seem like youre gettting a steal when you buy a meal or meat on a stick for 25-50baht, then you have to consider what corners need to be cut to make a living selling at such low prices

So if youre under 30, Thailand can be a great place to live frugally but over 45-50, the lower quality of life will take its toll.

Did you read the complete post?

You must have missed the part about increasing networth. Or maybe you do not understand net worth.It is like money in the bank. If every year you have more money in the bank I feel that is security against tragedies but of course no one can protect from every thing but building up net worth sure is a hedge against unforseen costs.

so your post was relatively unecessary huh.

What are you bleating on about ?...i am fully aware of net worth is...and suspect have a better grasp of things than you, money in the bank, unless its a significant amount, and no a few million Thb isnt high net worth, is no replacement for a decent medical insurance policy

I have known people who has very significant networths,, being just about wiped out financially and thought a lot like you..."money in bank" because they got sick and had no medical insurance

Farang buying power goes much further in much of SE except Singaporte. What many farang dont take into account when they move to the region is how poor infrastructure and developing economy negatively affects quality of life.

There's a reason average lifespan is at least 10yrs less than in developed countries. Better infrastructure, stronger enforcement of regulations and more environmentally aware populace translates into cleaner air, safer water, higher quality food and proper refuse disposal.

It may seem like youre gettting a steal when you buy a meal or meat on a stick for 25-50baht, then you have to consider what corners need to be cut to make a living selling at such low prices

So if youre under 30, Thailand can be a great place to live frugally but over 45-50, the lower quality of life will take its toll.

I know 3 farangs, all well into their 80's, been here years, and still going strong.

So your point is ?