Motorcycle Yamaha Spark 135

tracker

Orangutan: find a motorbike taxi stand near where u live and say to them 'yark bai ran motorbike yamaha; yark sue motorsike mai" (wish to go to motorbike shop; want to buy new motorbike). I am sure one of guys hanging around for a fare can help you out :o

Heya jasreeve, what kinda crotch rocket you packing mate?

I live in Bangkok, so I don't own a bike, just a bts guy, nowadays. I do often go past a bike shop close to national stadium and dream about having a nice sportsbike, living outside Bangkok (maybe France / Italy) and riding around...

Back home, I had a CBR600, which I never considered to be a sportsbike, just an all round commuter type.

(Riding my mate's R1 was great though.)

When I was 17, I had a NSR125K, a bright orange cafe racer import from Italy - a mighty 33bhp! It was good fun for a teenager, much more sporty than these Thai 125's, but for sure not a sports bike.

I don't know what drugs some of these middle-aged ex-pats are on, but when I see a CBR125"RR" hairdryer "flying" down the road, it's a cross between amusing and pathetic.

What are you packing, mate?

Can get 165 kph outta this beauty, 17 going on 35, i love it!

30052005.jpg

I live in Bangkok, so I don't own a bike, just a bts guy, nowadays. I do often go past a bike shop close to national stadium and dream about having a nice sportsbike, living outside Bangkok (maybe France / Italy) and riding around...

Back home, I had a CBR600, which I never considered to be a sportsbike, just an all round commuter type.

When I was 17, I had a NSR125K, a bright orange cafe racer import from Italy - a mighty 33bhp! It was good fun for a teenager, much more sporty than these Thai 125's, but for sure not a sports bike.

I don't know what drugs some of these middle-aged ex-pats are on, but when I see a CBR125"RR" hairdryer "flying" down the road, it's a cross between amusing and pathetic.

Can get 165 kph outta this beauty, 17 going on 35, i love it!

30052005.jpg

Nice looking bike I have nouvo I thought about getting 150 phantom but I am old man not to sure if I can handle one now I know nothing about bikes so if I was to buy one which would be good for a starter bigger than the nouvo gas milage is not a concern of mine

Spark 135. Good bike and I love it, my pride and joy :o and cbr125 "rr" hairdryer is a new one :D Never heard that one before! I also ride my buddy's GSRx sometimes, great ride.

Could you post a little more info on the "racing CDI chip" ? Are you talking about a replacement ignition system? Where does the extra power come from to increase top speed by 30 kph? Available for CBR 150?

At the bike market especially if your living in Bkk, is easy to access! I heard there is a performance center somewhere in MBK top floor or something, so go have a look.

Yeah you will get that little extra consumption of 17 CC's I think or more, different bikes different setup for the CDI, plus this particular one I'm talking about, the "Kitti XBOC Racing chip", costs around 3000 baht and is plug and play, so no need for all that heavy configuration with your bikes system.

It should be available for the CBR150. Hopefully next month when I get paid, I'm gonna take a raodtrip by myself to Bkk to go have a look at some parts there. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

i have such an spark 135. nice and reliable bike. the first 4000 km i was writing down liter and km at the gasoline station (people had something to wonder about), it was always 42km/l and up. no matter if driving fast or slow. i can recommend that bike.

Edited by hottuna

Can attest the same. Bought finally the spark and have 41km/ltr. Good bike. Even good sitting position, as I am a tall guy and got backpain on my old phantom 200cc. What's more, the spark is as fast pulling up as the phantom 200cc. Guess the weight is a lot less.

chose for clutch too, and opted for only kickstarter, since i wasted 3 batteries on the phantom in 5 years (i assume that most of battery work goes into start-motor).

Have only 400km driven, but do not regret my choice...

and another thing about the spark...

If you think you go fast.... forget it, illusion! I checked the speedometer with a gps... far away from reality:

50km on the clock was 45km on the gps, 60 was 53; 70 was 60, 80 was 68, 90 -> 77; 100 -> 85

Since this gps was cross-tested with several cars and bikes, it is quite reliable, although debatable...

But, is it and stays a nice bike

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know why the gps reading is off for this bike. Not only in Thailand but also in all other ASEAN countries which supply people with Spark 135 bikes.

The odometer needs tuning definitely. I love this bike since its not popular at all in Thailand. Now there is a new bike out called the X-1R 135cc LC4V as well. Taken from the old Yamaha X-1 110cc and transformed into the 135 just like the old Spark 110cc into the 135cc. Fuel injected as well.

I prefer the Spark to the X-1R though. Its ugly as hel_l and got such a big front.

I think I'll have a serious look at this Spark. My missus has a Nouvo (what a load of c**p) When i'm on it (all 86kg of me) it's a joke. Now she know's the mistake she made when wining about wanting a new bike.Previous bike was a Wave 100cc no probs there. My Steed 600CC isn't going to break any speed records but have had just as much fun on my old Phantom 150cc & when using the wave, just good riding fun. Mocking others who have a 150cc or whatever is no joke at all, especially when your joy riding on the "sky train" by the way I had a CBR 1000 last year & couldn't wait to shift it on.

So what happened to the CBR?
Whom, I? Are you talking to me? My CBR is doing fine. Proper registration, insurance, license plate, and serviced at my local Honda dealer. So, what happened to that chip to transform it into a CBRRR150RRR?

As for optimistic speedometers and odometers, I wonder if the error rate is between 10% and 15%.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I've had mine for a year and its just had its first oil change etc, agreed it is strong. :o

you still have it??

I need one!

thks

When he only changed the oil once in the first year? :unsure: They're scheduled to have the first change after 1000km, then every 3000km. I changed mine 4 times in the first year..... It was black every time. I'd hate to know what his bike is like 5 years on with one oil change a year!

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up my new Spark 135 RXi today. It looks and feels good. The shop here only had the red/white model without mags, but I preferred the white/blue one with mags so it was sent from a nearby town. Price was 52,000 baht plus the usual on road cost of 1200 baht. Was offered 2 years theft/accident insurance for 2500 baht which I will probably get.

I plan on doing a weekly or bi-monthly ride between two towns in different provinces, so that's why I went for the bigger 135 over a Wave 125 etc, for the higher top speed. I'm hoping it will be okay to ride between Hua Hin & Ratchaburi.

It doesn't have a manual clutch, not sure if that option is still available.

I nearly made the step up to a CBR250 but decided it would be a bit too big for daily round town use, also the missus coudn't ride it.

My only gripe with the Spark is that there is no space at all under the seat. Has anyone put a basket on the front, or a box on the back of their Spark 135?

Edited by alleykat

I picked up my new Spark 135 RXi today. It looks and feels good. The shop here only had the red/white model without mags, but I preferred the white/blue one with mags so it was sent from a nearby town. Price was 52,000 baht plus the usual on road cost of 1200 baht. Was offered 2 years theft/accident insurance for 2500 baht which I will probably get.

I plan on doing a weekly or bi-monthly ride between two towns in different provinces, so that's why I went for the bigger 135 over a Wave 125 etc, for the higher top speed. I'm hoping it will be okay to ride between Hua Hin & Ratchaburi.

It doesn't have a manual clutch, not sure if that option is still available.

I nearly made the step up to a CBR250 but decided it would be a bit too big for daily round town use, also the missus coudn't ride it.

My only gripe with the Spark is that there is no space at all under the seat. Has anyone put a basket on the front, or a box on the back of their Spark 135?

Get an old milke crate and tie it on the back.

• 10 months later...

Gees not a lot of discussion recently about the Yamaha 135 Sparks? But I will give it a shot maybe I might get a answer?

First, I have a 2006 Honda Click that is Carb , not fuel injected and water cool. I love this bike and even now with over 50,000 KM, it runs like new and the kids that service it at my local shop constantly want to buy it. The only thing that I have done is replaced the one shock with a upgraded gas and replaced both rims with a larger set and place much larger size tires 120/70 (back) 110/70 (front) and the bike rides great. The biggest drawback even before the tires is the gas mileage. I fill up now each day100 baht put in around 90 KM before the tank is nearly empty.

A year ago I purchased a 125 Honda Wave.. Everyone tells me they get much more mileage than the click since the click is a automatic and naturally they rev constantly and will burn that is why so many motorbike taxis have manuals. To my surprise the same 100 baht on the wave gets me 180 KM, that is double. Although the bike handles differently and I have to shift I now am thinking about buying a new one and using the old one to rent out to my friends when they are in town.

I like the Wave, except I like a bike that is water cool which the Wave doesn so I recently have been thinking and researching the Yamaha Sparks 135 CC, which is not only water cooled also fuel injected along with another 10 cc and high compression ratio put a smile on my face since I'm too old to be riding a new 150 Honda CRB or CBR whatever? Based on that I assumed it got to do better in gas than my click but have no expectation that it will do better than the Wave? But the big problem being in Pattaya no one has a 135 Sparks in the showroom and I mean no one! They want me to order one first just to see it or buy before I see it up front. My main point is the fuel and no one seem to have a idea about what a recently purchased one uses. Maybe someone that has a 125/110 sparks can give me some gauge?The last thing I want is to get one and find out it drinks like my click?

I also plan to replace the original rims with wider ones to 4.25, tires 120/80 130/80 (back) and 110/80 in the front. I would also like to add a disc break for the back wheel and upgrade the shocks. Then I plan to fly up Sukhumvit in the middle of the night 100 plus KM, like I do now just to see if I will pee in my pants or find out if my number is up?

Anyone have any idea to anyof this stuff please add to it and thanks in advance!

My partner bought a Spark 135 when it first came out, about a year ago, and it's been trouble-free. Since my CBR150 gets 30 km per liter driven hard, I'll bet a normally driven Spark should get at least 33 km/ltr. At that rate, you're not paying enough for petrol to be able to save much more.

Wow what dismal numbers your getting

My 250 Ninja gets 35 kpl

My 150 CBR (old style) get 46

My PCX125 gets 46

M Honda Wave with me gets 65 and with my wife 78 kpl But I am 100 kilos and she is just half and drives slower too

We had a Yamaha Mio 125 MX and when it only would get 35 kpl same as my ninja and Yamaha said that was nornal we sold it.

And yes it does matter to me. I drive 100,000 km on average a year. The saving can buy me a new bike fo rmy collection next year

My partner bought a Spark 135 when it first came out, about a year ago, and it's been trouble-free. Since my CBR150 gets 30 km per liter driven hard, I'll bet a normally driven Spark should get at least 33 km/ltr. At that rate, you're not paying enough for petrol to be able to save much more.

Wow what dismal numbers your getting

My 250 Ninja gets 35 kpl

My 150 CBR (old style) get 46

My PCX125 gets 46

M Honda Wave with me gets 65 and with my wife 78 kpl But I am 100 kilos and she is just half and drives slower too

We had a Yamaha Mio 125 MX and when it only would get 35 kpl same as my ninja and Yamaha said that was nornal we sold it.

And yes it does matter to me. I drive 100,000 km on average a year. The saving can buy me a new bike fo rmy collection next year

I don't know what year, fuel system, or cc your wave is, but the mileage your listing is amazing, considering that Honda rates the 2012 110i at 57 kpl. That's what I own and use for going to and from work many days. I drive at around 80 kph for most of the trip and calculated my mileage to an honest 55 kpl. How your wife squeezes 78 kpl out is a mystery, although I do recall reading somewhere that these types of scooters do use substantially less fuel at very low speeds....but still...78 kpl?

I want is to get one and find out it drinks like my click?

I also plan to replace the original rims with wider ones to 4.25, tires 120/80 130/80 (back) and 110/80 in the front. I would also like to add a disc break for the back wheel and upgrade the shocks. Then I plan to fly up Sukhumvit in the middle of the night 100 plus KM, like I do now just to see if I will pee in my pants or find out if my number is up?

Anyone have any idea to anyof this stuff please add to it and thanks in advance!

Take a minute to think some of these things out. I too like the idea of the 135 cc 4 valve water cooled motor, but I too was told to pay first. no one has them. Where waves are everywhere at every drealer on every corner infront of every 7-11

That goes the same with after market parts. Waves have a ton of parts avalable, Cams Big Bore kits, there is not limit just go pick up a few Thailand biking mags or go to a few shops and look.

Another thaing that put me off the spark (well there were a few) was it came with Allow rims that were very narrow. I am a big guy at 100 kilo and 189 cm tall. I like to change a few things too. But its not as easy as just changing the outer rim size as on a spoke wheel.

There are several people now running around Pattaya with the Huge Wheels and tires. Started about 18 months ago. And I agree looks cool. 1 Taxi guy next to my home did it. But now with the extra weight and mass he says it takes 3 times as far to stop and Top speed was reduced and his gas millage cut in half But he is OK with that becase it looks cool and he never go fast. Dome properly, you would need to regear it, Changing the front and rear sprokets to get things back where they should be. Add some power to compensate for the extra weight of hte wheels and tires, and up grade the brakes. Al done your now nearing hte price of that new 250 Ninja.

On my wave, with trial and error, and trying many tires combanations, I went with a 1.85 front rim and 2.15 rear rim with 80/80 front and 90/80 rear. I did have to chage my gearing. Bike handles wonderfully with my weight or 2 up with 200 kilos on it. And use good quality tires, Like Dunlop or some well known brand. Top speed is 130 kph Actual GPS checked.

I am all into fun and making changes to a bike, But working with Honda many years in America, with every change you make, other things need to be brought back in line. Nother ever is a true easy swap out deal

I want is to get one and find out it drinks like my click?

Take a minute to think some of these things out. I too like the idea of the 135 cc 4 valve water cooled motor, but I too was told to pay first. no one has them. Where waves are everywhere at every drealer on every corner infront of every 7-11

That goes the same with after market parts. Waves have a ton of parts avalable, Cams Big Bore kits, there is not limit just go pick up a few Thailand biking mags or go to a few shops and look.

Another thaing that put me off the spark (well there were a few) was it came with Allow rims that were very narrow. I am a big guy at 100 kilo and 189 cm tall. I like to change a few things too. But its not as easy as just changing the outer rim size as on a spoke wheel.

There are several people now running around Pattaya with the Huge Wheels and tires. Started about 18 months ago. And I agree looks cool. 1 Taxi guy next to my home did it. But now with the extra weight and mass he says it takes 3 times as far to stop and Top speed was reduced and his gas millage cut in half But he is OK with that becase it looks cool and he never go fast. Dome properly, you would need to regear it, Changing the front and rear sprokets to get things back where they should be. Add some power to compensate for the extra weight of hte wheels and tires, and up grade the brakes. Al done your now nearing hte price of that new 250 Ninja.

On my wave, with trial and error, and trying many tires combanations, I went with a 1.85 front rim and 2.15 rear rim with 80/80 front and 90/80 rear. I did have to chage my gearing. Bike handles wonderfully with my weight or 2 up with 200 kilos on it. And use good quality tires, Like Dunlop or some well known brand. Top speed is 130 kph Actual GPS checked.

I am all into fun and making changes to a bike, But working with Honda many years in America, with every change you make, other things need to be brought back in line. Nother ever is a true easy swap out deal

Thanks for the reply! Being in Pattaya I have been going to neary every Mityon dealer looking for this bike I finally located one today. I'm not going to tell where because I don't want anyone buying it in case I do decide to buy it. The Internet doesn't do this bike justice because when I saw it man its beautiful. The color was exactly what I was looking for white with black trimming and the guy told me I could have it for 52,000 baht. The wheels are the cheaper ones with the small spokes but as noted I plan to replace this rims with another alloy small pokes (4.25) and place a 120/70 or 130/70 on the back and 110/70 in the front. I have already price everything out it should be less than 10,000 and that include replacing the rear shock with gas one. Another 5,000 baht I could add a disc brake in the rear. Personally I have ridden a 125 Wave with exactly the items I just described and it stops much better that a wave without the disc in the rear. But of course I'm not 100 kg and just a slim 57kg. With my click I have the larger rims and 120/70 tires and yes heavier and no problem with stopping of course I don't drive like a Thai and don't expect to stop on a dime traveling like a crazy Thai. but the ride I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm hoping for the same type of ride if I buy the 135 and do the same thing. The gas from what I'm reading will not give what my son 125 wave got 170KM for 2.52 litre which is 1 year old and fuel injected. As I also noted the clicks Mio are automatics and will use more gas due to the high revs whereas the wave and 135 are chain driver shifters.

I also read that there is no storage room first I thought it was going to be like my old click and small box which you can't even fit a mushroom helmet. But the 135 has NONE, just a small slot for your service book. The tank and battery box is right there but as for the looks it is really sporty? I told my son today when I pick him up from school and now he say buy it for me and I will give you my Wave! It is also rumor that there is a new 135 coming with duel disc brakes already on selling in Maylasia?

HAVE BEEN LOOOKING FOR A 135CC SPARK FOR A LONG TIME!

LIVING IN CHIANG MAI.

ANY IDEAS...

Very simple

if you want a new one go to any Yamaha shop. Pay a deposit and wait 1 week and it will be delivered to the shop. They are not big sellers so the shops don't want to stock it and wait a year to sell it.

• 1 year later...

A few months ago I filled up the Spark 135's 3.6 litre tank to the brim, and took the bike on an economy run to Pai and back (approx 260km round-trip with some local running around) - managed to make it back to Chiangmai with just 100ml of fuel left sloshing around. That works out at 74 km/l.

Worst economy I've ever seen on the Spark 135 was on a full-throttle run around the Doi Suthep mountain loop, getting about 28 km/l.

I usually average around 50 km/l on this great little scooter.