NE people unhappy with life after military take-over

rooster59

Central Thailand has done very well with military rule. The most lucrative bases and purchasing activity is located in the central region.

With the Central Region the 'rice basket' of Thailand I would assume they may have profited most from the previous government's RPPS which the current government stopped. No data on that though.

BTW I wasn't aware the military was buying land to open a few more bases, existing bases seem to have been where they are for decennia.

Note that as usual the article doesn't give any real information.

Manipulating what I wrote to support your support of military rule renders your statements worthless.

Bangkok is in the central region of Thailand. In fact, it dominates the central region. It is also the wealthiest part of the central region.

I never said that the military was buying land. There is no need as the military controls large tracts of land. As you well know, the military owns some prime commercial real estate in addition to its sprawling redundant military bases. It's not just Bangkok. For example, in the Hua Hin region there are military bases all over the place. The resort and golf course the army operates is one of the nicer facilities. I don't know if using the conscripts to clean up garbage and to do gardening for the business operations is the best use of personnel, but it seems to be effective.

Most of the key procurement warehouses and depots are in the Central region. Nothing wrong with that as it allows an efficient distribution of military assets to quell "concerns" when they arise, and keeps the valuable assets under the control of military units key to the continuing rule. High quality and large stockpiles have not been kept in the North east, or the deep south for many years, for obvious reasons.

The military budget has increased since the military took power. All that is stated is that the budget increased, since the military government will not release further details on purchases. (One of the benefits of a civilian government is that people used to get a general idea of what was purchased.)

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Note it was by rangsit uni: where you have to be from a very very rich family to study. It makes Chulalongkorn seem just middle class and humble by comparison. Take a drive around near the campus and you'll see huge town houses many adorned with military insignia.

So for me their research is worthless..

Edited by Changwatchap

I live in the NE and the only difference I can see between the pre and post military takeover is the crackdown on gambling such as hi-low and Bok. Otherwise nothing has changed. I would like to see the reasons why the people are not happy.

Having their democratic right to choose a leader and a government being taken away maybe?, just a wild guess

wrong guess. Ask any poor Thai from the North what ails him and they will give 25 reasons like cost of living, security, medicine, education. housing etc etc. Democratic rights have never figured as having been of any importance to them.

Things are not this simple. With the people I can really talk to, it goes along:

- this government has made promises that they would improve our lives. Not only they don't improve, but things get worse (jobs, small businesses, corruption etc. see my previous post)

- however we're stuck with them forever as it seems, because they won't run elections that would allow us to give a chance to others

To me, it boils down to democracy...

Polls mean nothing apparently and the results are never to be respected unless of course they suit the agenda and boy oh boy after reading the comments some have the utmost respect for THESE poll results.

Lets just have an election and see what the people really want, but alas I hate coups so best not to rush it this time so as to ensure that future elected governments cannot abuse power and act like an elected dictatorship before elections happen again.

If you'd actually read the thread rather than leaping in and shouting wildly you'd have noted a great deal of cynicism about all Thai polls, this one included.

Still, it's good to see you managed to get a couple of those oft repeated (by you) well worn cliches in there again. You really don't understand how this democracy thing is supposed to work, do you?

Note it was by rangsit uni: where you have to be from a very very rich family to study. It makes Chulalongkorn seem just middle class and humble by comparison. Take a drive around near the campus and you'll see huge town houses many adorned with military insignia.

So for me their research is worthless..

Would you also reject research emanating from Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge as being "worthless"

Your working class background and rejection of anything from what you perceive to be "posh" is a sad reflection on your own personal failures .

It's not difficult to figure out.

The northeast is unhappy. Once again the elected government they voted for overwhelmingly has been toppled in a military coup.

The central region is happy. The central region includes Bangkok, and the coup was staged to take power from the Thai majority, which live in the provinces, and keep it in Bangkok.

If the poll results are correct (always a big 'if' with Thai polls), the results are unsurprising.

However the North-east is only one region of Thailand yet it seems as though it is the most troublesome. There is also central, south, east and west Thailand. Together they have a larger population than the North east and apart from 3 provinces in the south cause far less problems also.

So what's our point? The northeast and central regions are the only ones that poll results are provided for in the article, so they are the only ones I addressed.

The north and northeast combined contain the majority of the Thai population, and, if the poll was conducted correctly (once again, a big 'if' for all Thai polls) then I suspect the results from the north are similar to that of the northeast. However I don't care to engage in speculation. What are you doing?

BTW, judging from the military presence post-coup in the north, and the rigorous and lengthy enforcement of martial law and the curfew, I suspect the junta regards it as troublesome. Damned majorities, always making trouble for the born-to-rule elites.

Now that several posters have mentioned it, I must agree..

The overwhelming number of people who discuss the change in government and seem to even paying attention to it,

are expat posters here on Thaivisa.

The Thai people I know are not really concerned about it.

For them, life goes on much the same as before and they don't make a big deal about it.

Maybe we expats should follow their lead.

After all, it is their country and their government,

not our's.

"After all, it is their country and their government"

Well, it's their country. The government clearly doesn't belong to them, or at least not to the majority.

Oh they will. The whole reason for the coup is to make sure that elections matter less. The previous coup already tried to excersise control over the government by an appointed senate (50%), this lot goes a few steps further, a wholly appointed senate, and the very same senate will receive far reaching powers. Effectively ensuring continued control over how Thailand is run from a select few people, who have never received a mandate to do so.

Democracy "Thai sytle", yes elections, but they don't really matter.

August is going to be an interesting month to say the least.

Would you recommend the Thai people embrace either the UK or US style of "Democracy" instead, as a better alternative?

The one they had before the military stepped in and tore it up was adequate.

It allowed the electorate to select the government they wanted by election in a secret ballot - which is the fundamental of democrac: as opposed to having it decided by a military junta backed by a small and shadowy elite of very wealthy people.

Reasoned from a Western background where people know right and duties. A constitution only functions when people behave.

The idea of "let's have an election" sound good but only when you assume the same status as you encounter in the Western democracies. When a part of the population has no problem with a criminal fugitive running the country that's just as bad as needing a coup to stop him from doing so.

"A constitution only functions when people behave."

A democracy only functions when the military behaves, which is why democracy has never had a chance in Thailand.

"When a part of the population has no problem with a criminal fugitive running the country..."

How about a part of the population, a minority, having no problem with an illegal coup?

"...that's just as bad as needing a coup to stop him from doing so."

But a coup wasn't needed, an election was scheduled. An election when the PTP was at an all-time low in popularity. That was the proper way to stop the Shinawatra influence, assuming that is what the voters wanted.

You seem to think that the situation will improve in Thailand under this junta, right?

Then please answer the following question (I'm not giving up on this):

After 19 coups/coup and attempts where nothing changed except the snouts in the trough (correct me if I'm wrong) what makes you think it will be different this time?

Well thank you very much for asking this again.

In the mean time it would seem that only foreigners 'know' what the article of the topic means. Unhappy as they are.

How about a reply? None of you junta supporters are able to answer that question and it really says it all.

You get annoying with adding this question to about every topic. Before you know it some with set out to destroy Carthage again.

Kind of the way you bring up "criminal fugitive" and "amnesty" on every topic, then happily waste people's time and drag the discussion way off-topic whenever legitimate criticism is being directed at the junta.

My wife's village in NE Issan was occupied by soldiers, no explanation every given. They left after a month or so, came back after a bit and went down the road toward the main town in the Amphur. Set up in a temple across the road from her noodle shop. At least they came and bought food, although they didn't speak to anyone and no one attempted to speak to them. My wife's village is NOT red or yellow shirt. I talk to many people up here and when they will talk, fear is wonderful for self-censorship, they are not happy campers. Many farang oriented business are hurting and they know the reason is farangs don't come anymore and will not return in previous numbers until a change in government. On the other hand, the government could care less about farangs or Issan. The people know, they just won't talk. I'm rather surprised the poll turned out as well as it did. I don't know how the questions were asked or presented, it has a bearing on the answers, but the sample was certainly large enough.

Strange, figures imply that tourists are still coming in droves.

"Thailand is Asia Pacific’s most popular tourist destination: Mastercard"

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/27/thailand-is-asia-pacifics-most-popular-tourist-destination-says-mastercard.html

Maybe there's not much of tourist's interest in your area? Maybe less Chinese at the moment ?

Your link says Thailand remains SE Asia's top tourist destination, it doesn't comment on trends other than to remark tourism remained strong in spite of the Bangkok temple bombing.

sgtsabai was commenting on what many others have commented on; we keep reading that tourism is strong yet nobody knows of a tourism dependent business that isn't hurting.

I live in the NE and the only difference I can see between the pre and post military takeover is the crackdown on gambling such as hi-low and Bok. Otherwise nothing has changed. I would like to see the reasons why the people are not happy.

1. The economy is tanking

2. Computer crimes act could mean 15 years in jail for a Facebook post

3. Arbitrary extra-judaical detention aka attitude adjustment camps

4. 30 baht health care system likely to be dismantled

5. Voting rights permanently removed - (appointed Senate / 5 year Junta oversight / 20 year reform plan)

6. Minimum wage likely to be lowered back below 300 baht per day

7. Rising right wing puritanical nationalism curtailing peoples freedoms and making the nation look ridiculous on the international stage

8. Prayuths crappy TV show means less time for soaps on TV

9. Military corruption and nepotism remains unchecked and is only likely to increase

10. The nation is about to waste billions of baht on submarines that are completely useless in the shallows waters that surround Thailand

11. The rigged court system continues to prosecute Reds and dismiss all cases against the Yellows

12. Multiple rich murderers (vehicular homicide) such as the red bull heir continue to remain uncharged and free

13. Press censorship has reached new highs

14. Ordinary soldiers have been granted policing powers and begun stalking people and entering houses without warrants

15. People face a 10 year jail sentence for discussing or giving an opinion on the upcoming constitution referendum (think about that...10 YEARS for talking in jail for talking).

and so on.......

Having their democratic right to choose a leader and a government being taken away maybe?, just a wild guess

Yawn.

Think back 1 step: democracy / democratic leaders ?

Their UDD / red leaders: elected democratically ?

Yawn.

Step back, think. Military coup / government, one after another...

More military governments than civilian governments since '32...

No wonder the country is a mess.

PS: check out the election results and the monitoring reports... "elected democratically" applies.

Not that junta-huggers care, ... they just spout what ever and ignore the facts...

Pathetic creatures.... a poll on "Happiness." Some anwered not bad..... childish, moronic clowns.

If a Thai has money he/she is happy. However, as greed flows through the blood they never have enough so affectively they are never happy. This is what "not bad" translates to.

wrong guess. Ask any poor Thai from the North what ails him and they will give 25 reasons like cost of living, security, medicine, education. housing etc etc. Democratic rights have never figured as having been of any importance to them.

Things are not this simple. With the people I can really talk to, it goes along:

- this government has made promises that they would improve our lives. Not only they don't improve, but things get worse (jobs, small businesses, corruption etc. see my previous post)

- however we're stuck with them forever as it seems, because they won't run elections that would allow us to give a chance to others

To me, it boils down to democracy...

Yes democracy .

What that entails ?

Free choice.

Even opinions and ideas .

I can only hope that the NCPO remembers what they promised to the people. I would like to ask them whether the reconciliation process has been inclusive and if it's going in the right direction or not?

Seems to me it's taking a while and fear and struggle is now part of the landscape .

They can't be entirely blamed for this.

I do think they sometimes mean well .

I wish that they will swiftly return happiness to the people, by happiness I mean the basic rights and freedom that will allow the people to once again choose their own destiny.

But that gullible and hopeful of me as the skies darken .

The warning signs are there.

But put all that aside Thais seem happy.

Maybe not happier than when the likes of Thaksin was running the economy?

Maybe not as happy as even a democrat of prior .

Either side of politics....at least allowed you to protest express thoughts.

It's ironic the army once encouraged people to do it.

March and rebel against the machine!

We now know why.

It was their pretence

They decided hey lets use that as the reconciliation .....spin the BS

Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of the Coup d'état .

More importantly it was the day that the people's rights and freedom were taken away.......perhaps for many years to come.

The trials and tribulations of Thailand are real.

Not figments of people's imaginations .

And the fanboys here that cosy up with blind faith to the government that's unelected do so without a clear understanding of its intensions.

Which we now see its a long life agenda of holding power and making sure the elite section of Thai society is kept Happy.

The north east is a very long way away from Bangkok and the regal matters at heart.

The plight of a peasant in the blur of gold and glitter is not a consideration these days.

Now that they don't vote it's irrelevant as to how they feel.

Brave faces as the surveyor ticks a yes.

The chicken crows and the hot sun casts little shadow as they go back to the wood chopping.

Another poll alerts us to how things are going?

I have growing concerns because today, the people are suffering from economic hardship, poverty and critical social issues including increasing drug use.

The truth might be they are ready for rebellion ?

Or just a haze of resignation to endless coups and dominance over them .

Time will tell

Edited by Plutojames88

Yawn.

Think back 1 step: democracy / democratic leaders ?

Their UDD / red leaders: elected democratically ?

They didn't have to be, they weren't up for election. Do you see the difference?

Don't you think it some what ironic that the UDD leaders are not democratically chosen, given the name of their organization?

And just how exactly do you suppose they were appointed?

Don't know where you're going with this. The UDD is not a political party contesting in a national (nor local) election. What do you think they should have done - held their own private nationwide election when forming the group?

You seem to think that the situation will improve in Thailand under this junta, right?

After 19 coups/coup and attempts where nothing changed except the snouts in the trough (correct me if I'm wrong) what makes you think it will be different this time?

In the mean time it would seem that only foreigners 'know' what the article of the topic means. Unhappy as they are.

How about a reply? None of you junta supporters are able to answer that question and it really says it all.

You get annoying with adding this question to about every topic. Before you know it some with set out to destroy Carthage again.

Here's a tip to avoid the annoyance; answer the question!

But this is something you junta apologists are totally unable to do since the answer to my question is "Nothing".

Here's a tip to avoid the annoyance; answer the question!

But this is something you junta apologists are totally unable to do since the answer to my question is "Nothing".

There are sound reasons.

Stockholme Syndrome is a possiblibilty .

This where the hostages submit willingly to their captors .

In war cowardly men spare themselves by immediate submission and even spying on others.

Politics has extremes one is absolute rule .

It might puzzle people who see their support as merely hi camp or ignorance , submissive weak individuals .

But there could be much more to it.

As time goes on and deeper questions like ""what if they hold power in definately using mechanisms and eventually deport westerners ?"

""Would you still support them?"

For now it might appear of course not .

And they might paint a picture of this being a transition period only.

Even as increasingly evidence shows its not.

There is something at play.

Maybe they wish to feel or are attracted to power like this?

Some sort of reason.

The question of happiness and democracy are for now separated .

Just as the reasoning of some pro military supporters seems to be.

Staggering as it is .

These men enjoy seeing people oppressed.

Edited by Plutojames88

Central Thailand has done very well with military rule. The most lucrative bases and purchasing activity is located in the central region.

With the Central Region the 'rice basket' of Thailand I would assume they may have profited most from the previous government's RPPS which the current government stopped. No data on that though.

BTW I wasn't aware the military was buying land to open a few more bases, existing bases seem to have been where they are for decennia.

Manipulating what I wrote to support your support of military rule renders your statements worthless.

Bangkok is in the central region of Thailand. In fact, it dominates the central region. It is also the wealthiest part of the central region.

I never said that the military was buying land. There is no need as the military controls large tracts of land. As you well know, the military owns some prime commercial real estate in addition to its sprawling redundant military bases. It's not just Bangkok. For example, in the Hua Hin region there are military bases all over the place. The resort and golf course the army operates is one of the nicer facilities. I don't know if using the conscripts to clean up garbage and to do gardening for the business operations is the best use of personnel, but it seems to be effective.

Most of the key procurement warehouses and depots are in the Central region. Nothing wrong with that as it allows an efficient distribution of military assets to quell "concerns" when they arise, and keeps the valuable assets under the control of military units key to the continuing rule. High quality and large stockpiles have not been kept in the North east, or the deep south for many years, for obvious reasons.

The military budget has increased since the military took power. All that is stated is that the budget increased, since the military government will not release further details on purchases. (One of the benefits of a civilian government is that people used to get a general idea of what was purchased.)

You sound like you consider Bangkok the center of Thailand.

Anyway, the article mentions 'central region' which is the bit above Bangkok upto about Kamphanphet or so.

BTW ALL budgets seem to have increased over the years, not only the MoD budget. As for details on the MoD budget please search TVF, lots of posters making fun of the planned purchases.

Anyway, the article mentions 'central region' which is the bit above Bangkok upto about Kamphanphet or so.

BTW ALL budgets seem to have increased over the years, not only the MoD budget. As for details on the MoD budget please search TVF, lots of posters making fun of the planned purchases.

Do an internet search on the words "regions thailand". You'll find that every source puts Bangkok in the central region, and the junta serves Bangkok and its elite.

Do an internet search on the words "regions thailand". You'll find that every source puts Bangkok in the central region, and the junta serves Bangkok and its elite.

I'm a country boy, just like I don't see Amsterdam as part of Holland, or London as part of the Home Counties I don't see Bangkok as part of the Central Region. Certainly like in London most people in Bangkok seem to come from elsewhere.

Anyway, the reasoning gKid gave seems valid for the last six years and the main difference is now no flooding, but drought and now no RPPS.

I'm a country boy, just like I don't see Amsterdam as part of Holland, or London as part of the Home Counties I don't see Bangkok as part of the Central Region. Certainly like in London most people in Bangkok seem to come from elsewhere.

Anyway, the reasoning gKid gave seems valid for the last six years and the main difference is now no flooding, but drought and now no RPPS.

From your prior post:

"Anyway, the article mentions 'central region' which is the bit above Bangkok upto about Kamphanphet or so."

Since everybody but you puts Bangkok in the central region, it is safe to assume the people conducting the poll did so as well.

Bangkok has always received almost all government investment, 90% in 2000, 72% in 2012. Investment outside of Bangkok, where the majority of Thai people live, was increased under Thaksin, which is why he won every election he entered since 2000. That's also why the Bangkok elite couldn't tolerate him, and welcome a military junta that will make Bangkok the center of all power and wealth, at the expense of the rest of the country.

Hence the pol results--the central region, including Bangkok, is happy, the northeast not so much. Not that I put much faith in Thai polls, but this one at least arrived a conclusions that seem credible.

I live in the NE as well and I don't see much unhappiness about the situation either. I think the reason is that whilst being able to elect a government is important not having that ability isn't necessarily going to be detrimental to your life. The Chinese government try very hard to make as many of their citizens happy as possible because if people have a good standard of living most aren't so worried about democracy. It's when living standards drop that the problems start.

At the moment earning a living is what matters most rather than voting. Remember that in general after an election the majority of voters don't get what they wanted. Even the landslide win by PTP in 2011 resulted in the majority not getting the government they voted for. That's the case just about everywhere.

There may also have been a drop in support for the PTP and Thaksin due to the arrangements for the attempted amnesty. This break in support was noticed by those opposed to the PTP government which led to the protests. Unfortunately the army leaders seemed not to have realised that there was a perfect opportunity to capitalise on this to undermine the support for Thaksin who they appear to want to keep out of Thai politics.

That support for Thaksin or at least for PTP in general may be returning but right now I suspect that getting through daily life is the main goal and if they can do that then the right to vote probably isn't a big issue. I suspect that will change over time, particularly if the economy drags down the standard of living and that's when people will start to be less happy.

From your prior post:

"Anyway, the article mentions 'central region' which is the bit above Bangkok upto about Kamphanphet or so."

Since everybody but you puts Bangkok in the central region, it is safe to assume the people conducting the poll did so as well.

Bangkok has always received almost all government investment, 90% in 2000, 72% in 2012. Investment outside of Bangkok, where the majority of Thai people live, was increased under Thaksin, which is why he won every election he entered since 2000. That's also why the Bangkok elite couldn't tolerate him, and welcome a military junta that will make Bangkok the center of all power and wealth, at the expense of the rest of the country.

Hence the pol results--the central region, including Bangkok, is happy, the northeast not so much. Not that I put much faith in Thai polls, but this one at least arrived a conclusions that seem credible.

'it is save to assume'?

Well, it's save to assume you came with reasoning to blame the junta again. IMHO.

Interesting is eight pages of foreign opinions based on an article with almost no content.

From your prior post:

'it is save to assume'?

Well, it's save to assume you came with reasoning to blame the junta again. IMHO.

Interesting is eight pages of foreign opinions based on an article with almost no content.

"Well, it's save to assume you came with reasoning to blame the junta again. IMHO."

You mean while discussing an article about the unhappiness of the people of the NE after the junta overthrew the elected government it's unreasonable to blame the junta???

"Well, it's save to assume you came with reasoning to blame the junta again. IMHO."

You mean while discussing an article about the unhappiness of the people of the NE after the junta overthrew the elected government it's unreasonable to blame the junta???

What is unreasonable is taking for granted that having an unelected government is a major source of their unhappiness, when there are so many other factors of much higher significance to daily life.