Phuket Vs Farangland in price

Walkabout Man

This site has been used on the forum a number of times over the years. I've done a COL comparison between Phuket and my home town.

Try your home town.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Australia&city1=Phuket&city2=Perth

For me, it's cheaper here, but as mentioned, you need to compare "like for like" goods and services.

If you like to drive a BMW, for example, you may find they are more expensive here than back home, due to higher taxes, so, you buy a Toyota. It may have very little to do with whether you live in a "tourist town" or not, because for the BMW, anywhere in Thailand, you may have to pay more than back home.

So, another question is, do we adjust our lifestyles more towards living like a Thai, in Thailand, and buy the Toyota, or do we pay the higher money for the fully imported items and live like we did back home. If so, you may find prices are considerably more expensive here than back home for the same goods and services.

When I say "like for like goods and services" - I am also talking about goods and services that we all "like" from our various home countries.

Are you suggesting that buying a Toyota in Thailand might be cheaper than buying one in your home country? Actually a comparable Toyota Altis in Oz sells under 25,000 AUD and includes 7 air-bags whereas in Thailand closer to 40,000 AUD now...

I was talking about a European car and / or prestige vehicle here, as compared to buying a vehicle manufactured in Thailand.

I had a look at the Toyota Australia website. I can't see the Toyota Altis for sale there.

http://www3.toyota.com.au/home#

Can you supply more information?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on 10,000 baht a week ($400AUS) in Issan which includes 4 kids going to school, uniforms, electricity, water, petrol, rego, insurance, etc etc, this amount is a weeks accommodation in Phuket for a good hotel, and was my weekly shopping bill in Sydney, so Thailand is cheaper, Phuket is cheaper when comparing to Australia, but Phuket is more expensive when compare it to the rest of Thailand.

If you sent them to a school that allowed them to learn to point thailand on a map by the age of 18, you would be spending 20k extra per week thus making it more expensive or similar to Australia.

Mortgage+car+school fees for the equivalent of what a lower-middle class person would have back home costs me 55-60k~ baht yet 60k is the salary lower-middle class people have back home.. thats not including food, clothes, expensives, visas, gas, electricity etc etc

Let's call it like it is, Thailand is cheaper if you want to live thai style. That's it. You need to get used to low-filling food for every meal, you need to get used to subpar quality housing and education. Personally i would prefer your cheaper lifestyle but having been born in affluence means that it would be child abuse not to offer the same quality of education and lifestyle that i received to my kids.

This also speaks to the overpricedness of houses in phuket.. Yeah its a nice house but it was completely empty and the build is shitballs so even after putting a ton of money in it its still feel unfulfilled.. Ahh the life of consumerism Really wish i could just live in isaan

"Let's call it like it is, Thailand is cheaper if you want to live thai style." - and this is the point I make in a few posts on this thread.

"You need to get used to low-filling food for every meal" - I used swapping steak for rice in a previous post.

How many expats have adjusted to live "Thai style" and then say "it's cheaper here than back home" but if they were to live here as they did back home, they very well may say it's more expensive to live here.

I dont understand the above sentiment Namkangman. Even paying the same or more for a Western product here dont give you the same standard, I dont even want to start mention examples.

"Even paying the same or more for a Western product here dont give you the same standard" - well then it isn't the same product is it?

For the exact same product and / or service as you would get in the west, you will probably pay more here for many things than back home, depending where you come from.

So, the "sentiment" is, what I believe a lot of expats have done here, either knowingly or not, they have adjusted their lifestyle to live more Thai style, hence, they comment "it's cheaper here than back home" and I agree, it is, if you live Thai style, but possibly not if you live with the same goods and service as you did back home.

This site has been used on the forum a number of times over the years. I've done a COL comparison between Phuket and my home town.

Try your home town.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Australia&city1=Phuket&city2=Perth

What a heap of crock why don't you compare the wages earned in Perth with the wages in Phuket ?

You just can not say Phuket or Thailand for that matter is cheaper

For me traveling and living aboard is all about learning new and adapting to the new environment.

I fail to understand people who have moved to a new country, but still wish to keep their old habits. This includes eating the same food as back in home, dressing like one back home, meeting people the same way as back home. That sounds like Benidorm with Fish&Chips stalls and pubs, next to each other.

Maybe I'm just too cheap as reindeer meat is so bloody expensive in Phuket.

For me traveling and living aboard is all about learning new and adapting to the new environment.

I fail to understand people who have moved to a new country, but still wish to keep their old habits. This includes eating the same food as back in home, dressing like one back home, meeting people the same way as back home. That sounds like Benidorm with Fish&Chips stalls and pubs, next to each other.

Maybe I'm just too cheap as reindeer meat is so bloody expensive in Phuket.

"I fail to understand people who have moved to a new country, but still wish to keep their old habits." - that's fine for a holiday here, but what about retirees?

If Thailand wants to attract this market, perhaps some taxes need to be reviewed.

Try your home town.

What a heap of crock why don't you compare the wages earned in Perth with the wages in Phuket ?

If you took the time, and had the ability to read the comparison properly, you would have seen that average wages in the two places are listed. And, if you are earning an average salary in either place, Perth is considerably more affordable within the parameters used.

Again, if you had read my first post correctly, you would have noticed I said "for me, general living in Phuket averages out at about 1/3 of what it does Australia."

This is because I'm a retiree with an income derived in Australia (lower than the average salary) and I am spending it in Thailand. I am not trying to earn a living in Thailand. I would find it impossible to live on the average Thai wage.

From the comparison given:

Average Monthly Disposable Salary (Net After Tax)

PHUKET - 20,000.00 ฿(777.19 A$)

PERTH - 109,895.08 ฿(4,270.44 A$) +449.48 %

Local Purchasing Power in Perth is 170.46% higher than in Phuket

I have a house in Rawai, 10 minutes to Nai Harn Beach, less than 5 to Rawai Beach. I can hear boats going out from my house. Cheap rent, quiet area. I have another house in Santa Cruz California, less than a mile from the beach, I can hear sea lions from my house and it's paid for. I live in both places every year, so I know what things cost in both places very well. It costs more to live in California than Phuket!

Electric, about the same for what I use in each place. Gasoline is cheaper in the US, but I don't drive much either place. Alcohol, especially wine is way cheaper in California. Fish costs more, rice costs more, the crab and lobster in the US are better and cheaper. I won't eat beef in Thailand, but I do in the US. Pork is cheaper in Thailand. Lettuce and produce in my area of California is outstanding and sometimes cheaper. Eating and drinking out is more expensive in the US. So it's a mix. I just adjust my lifestyle slightly and eat what's good and available fresh locally. Health care, veterinarians, auto insurance and repairs are all more in the US, by a LOT! Cars are cheaper in the US. My water, garbage and sewer are free at my place in Rawai, about $100 a month in the US. But I have to pay for insurance in both countries, so I just get over it, as I have to have it. Taxes are higher in California, other than on imported goods like Thailand.

As for those who say things are cheaper in other parts of Thailand than Phuket, eating out and housing are. Gasoline is about the same. There isn't nearly as much selection in most parts of Thailand for wine or rum or western foods in markets and it costs more than in Phuket. Food from the outdoor markets are about the same or less for some items in Phuket. Mackro prices are about the same as are Tesco and Big C. I visit the family every year out in Sa Kaeo, so that's what I compare it to.

Just my two satang. Life's a beach.

Try your home town.

If you took the time, and had the ability to read the comparison properly, you would have seen that average wages in the two places are listed. And, if you are earning an average salary in either place, Perth is considerably more affordable within the parameters used.

Again, if you had read my first post correctly, you would have noticed I said "for me, general living in Phuket averages out at about 1/3 of what it does Australia."

This is because I'm a retiree with an income derived in Australia (lower than the average salary) and I am spending it in Thailand. I am not trying to earn a living in Thailand. I would find it impossible to live on the average Thai wage.

In general the cost of living in Thailand is 1/3 of the cost of western countries as supported by the figures provided.

Unless you spend everyday buying cheese, wine and mercedes you can live like a king here on a western salary IMO.

"imported items attracting a big tax" - from my observations, basically, everything desired by foreigners in Thailand is highly taxed.

Can you give some examples of these mystery items people are desiring? Maybe I need to desire them too!

Not to be too pedantic but you said everything desired by foreigners is highly taxed....I can confirm that today I will not desire one highly taxed item, or tomorrow (Saturday I might desire some wine).

(On a side note some cheeses are now being made locally and probably now cheaper than the west anyhow)

Try your home town.

In general the cost of living in Thailand is 1/3 of the cost of western countries as supported by the figures provided.

Unless you spend everyday buying cheese, wine and mercedes you can live like a king here on a western salary IMO.

"Unless you spend everyday buying cheese, wine and mercedes you can live like a king here on a western salary IMO." - some extreme examples, but have you adjusted your lifestyle here, and therefore now say "you can live like a king here?"

"imported items attracting a big tax" - from my observations, basically, everything desired by foreigners in Thailand is highly taxed.

Can you give some examples of these mystery items people are desiring? Maybe I need to desire them too!

Not to be too pedantic but you said everything desired by foreigners is highly taxed....I can confirm that today I will not desire one highly taxed item, or tomorrow (Saturday I might desire some wine).

(On a side note some cheeses are now being made locally and probably now cheaper than the west anyhow)

"I can confirm that today I will not desire one highly taxed item, or tomorrow" - so, you will be living "Thai style" today, and tomorrow, and on Saturday live a little like you would back home.

My point is, if you were to live like you would back home, everyday here, you MAY find living here more expensive.

Try your home town.

As the vast majority of wealth is held by a minority on Phuket, and there are so many "unregistered" Thai inhabitants living on Phuket, which consists of legitimate workers and otherwise, as well as the foreign labor living here, I would suggest the "average monthly disposable salary" for Phuket being 20,000 baht would not be so accurate.

Edited by NamKangMan

I have a house in Rawai, 10 minutes to Nai Harn Beach, less than 5 to Rawai Beach. I can hear boats going out from my house. Cheap rent, quiet area. I have another house in Santa Cruz California, less than a mile from the beach, I can hear sea lions from my house and it's paid for. I live in both places every year, so I know what things cost in both places very well. It costs more to live in California than Phuket!

Electric, about the same for what I use in each place. Gasoline is cheaper in the US, but I don't drive much either place. Alcohol, especially wine is way cheaper in California. Fish costs more, rice costs more, the crab and lobster in the US are better and cheaper. I won't eat beef in Thailand, but I do in the US. Pork is cheaper in Thailand. Lettuce and produce in my area of California is outstanding and sometimes cheaper. Eating and drinking out is more expensive in the US. So it's a mix. I just adjust my lifestyle slightly and eat what's good and available fresh locally. Health care, veterinarians, auto insurance and repairs are all more in the US, by a LOT! Cars are cheaper in the US. My water, garbage and sewer are free at my place in Rawai, about $100 a month in the US. But I have to pay for insurance in both countries, so I just get over it, as I have to have it. Taxes are higher in California, other than on imported goods like Thailand.

As for those who say things are cheaper in other parts of Thailand than Phuket, eating out and housing are. Gasoline is about the same. There isn't nearly as much selection in most parts of Thailand for wine or rum or western foods in markets and it costs more than in Phuket. Food from the outdoor markets are about the same or less for some items in Phuket. Mackro prices are about the same as are Tesco and Big C. I visit the family every year out in Sa Kaeo, so that's what I compare it to.

Just my two satang. Life's a beach.

Good post Jimi007.

I find some things here a little cheaper, about the same price, and considerably more cheaper than back home. Likewise, I find some things back home a little cheaper, about the same price, and considerably more cheaper than here.

As you say, "it's a mix" and I have given examples of both.

The question I gave to individual members is, after self assessment, do they only buy the things that are cheaper, or considerably more cheaper here, thus broadly state "it's more cheaper here than back home."

Value is also to be considered in the cost. Sure a lot of things are cheap here but they don't last very long, thus, they are of a poor value, but hey "they're cheap". Same could be said with buying cheap quality items back home vs branded items with lifetime or long warranties. Cheap doesn't always mean better value or even cheaper in the long run.

How many times have you had a plumber/electrician/handyman come over and do some work and you think, hey, this is much cheaper than back home, only to find out what they did doesn't work for long and they managed to do some damage to the property (This ties into another thread here on the forum).

To sum up, many things are cheaper here, though aren't necessarily a better value.

Following www.numbeo.com I will need approximately Thb 200xxx,- monthly to maintain the same lifestyle back home as I can have for approximately Thb 85xxx,- here

Now that`s not special or what amuse me but the few times I visit Central, mostly to look for sport shoes /clothes in Supersport I wonder which countries the tourist comes from who find anything cheaper there than where they come from......original brand name that is.

I need 80000 baht just to break even here. In saying that i live a very good life with a wife and infant, I also have a live in maid.The baby drinks about 6000 bahts a month worth of milk...the dog eats about the same value. Work permit, electricity, mortgage...it all adds up

Sure its no problem to live on and spend 50K, 80K,100k, 200k and more a month here. I personally would not live in Thailand and think its okay to spend the same money for a lower quality of life than I could have with moving home. As previously said do not try to tell me that you can buy "quality of life" The society, education system, environment , infrastructure plus a lot more included political visions decide what kind of quality of life a population have.When that said, as long as I can have a good life on half of the cost of living in farangland then its fine for me.

"I can confirm that today I will not desire one highly taxed item, or tomorrow" - so, you will be living "Thai style" today, and tomorrow, and on Saturday live a little like you would back home.

My point is, if you were to live like you would back home, everyday here, you MAY find living here more expensive.

What is living Thai style?

1. Is it not eating wine and cheese?
  2. Sitting cross legged on the floor of a tin hut in the jungle?

If it's option one then I am living Thai style for 2 days (hence my reason for living in Thailand)

What is living Thai style?

1. Is it not eating wine and cheese?
  2. Sitting cross legged on the floor of a tin hut in the jungle?

If it's option one then I am living Thai style for 2 days (hence my reason for living in Thailand)

At this point I'm quite confused. I do eat cheese and drink cheap wine. Then again, I'm also sitting cross legged on my patio, in the jungle, in a concrete hut, which is not tiny.

Should we introduce new term, hybrid outsiders, who don't really care what others think as unless it's something to learn from.

If you can't live materially better off in a developing country, than in your own, then, what's the point?

Although I can't understand why anyone wouldn't find it materially better off living here (unless on a lower income than their own country) I think the weather and environment play a part as well.

For some access to women that find them attractive also plays a part.

It's the freedom of life which is priceless living here.

Also many service aspects are here normal but you can't get them more in the home country.

In general only on cars and football i get higher quality for less money outside Thailand.

Only on medical expenses i save here a small fortune every year despite going to Bangkok Hospital.

Would i move back to my home country i would need double the money every month without having my definition of quality of life. But for me it's not quality of life to drive a mercedes in a nanny state.

Also many service aspects are here normal but you can't get them more in the home country.

In general only on cars and football i get higher quality for less money outside Thailand.

Only on medical expenses i save here a small fortune every year despite going to Bangkok Hospital.

Would i move back to my home country i would need double the money every month without having my definition of quality of life. But for me it's not quality of life to drive a mercedes in a nanny state.

HAHA. Fricken great post. Among many things I can walk down the street drinking a beer. In my USA town 4 cops show up and write you a ticket.

I am from So. Calif. If you don't have a BMW or MBZ you are crap. 90% are leased anyway from people in big debt.

Yes, for me too this place is much much better.

HAHA. Fricken great post. Among many things I can walk down the street drinking a beer. In my USA town 4 cops show up and write you a ticket.

I am from So. Calif. If you don't have a BMW or MBZ you are crap. 90% are leased anyway from people in big debt.

Yes, for me too this place is much much better.

LOL! I liked your post! I grew up in Manhattan Beach California, actually I still own a house there. Crazy place with a bunch people that think they're rich! Most of them never even go to the beach! I drive old cars and old motorbikes because I like it that way. People think my wife and i are poor! ;-)

I agree with the emboldened parts - although I'm always aware that 'the freedom of life...here' can come crashing down if unlucky enough to get involved in a serious RTA or somehow piss off the wrong person.

But everyday quality of life is the point IMO, and where I live is v close to my 'idealised' picture when living back in the UK smile.png - and that makes it worth accepting lower standards/higher prices on other things.

In Australia I used to travel miles to catch a feed of fresh crabs. Boat, equipment, fuel, all very expensive.

This morning we caught one in our yard. Free!

Did you eat it?

I went to our local harbor, less than 5 miles from my house and got some fresh dungeness crabs off the boat, kicking all the way into the pot on Wednesday here in California. $10 US for about a 1.8 Kg crab. They were good! A lot meatier than those little blue crabs in Phuket. Although I do like them too.

In Australia I used to travel miles to catch a feed of fresh crabs. Boat, equipment, fuel, all very expensive.

This morning we caught one in our yard. Free!

Did you eat it?

I went to our local harbor, less than 5 miles from my house and got some fresh dungeness crabs off the boat, kicking all the way into the pot on Wednesday here in California. $10 US for about a 1.8 Kg crab. They were good! A lot meatier than those little blue crabs in Phuket. Although I do like them too.

Didn't eat it, one little crab doesn't make a meal. I don't know if it is edible. He's now sloshing his way towards the farmers place. The ducks will probably get him. Seems to be a type of Rice-field crab.

If you can't live materially better off in a developing country, than in your own, then, what's the point?

Although I can't understand why anyone wouldn't find it materially better off living here (unless on a lower income than their own country) I think the weather and environment play a part as well.

For some access to women that find them attractive also plays a part.

"For some access to women that find them attractive also plays a part." - but your girl is different. Right? biggrin.png