Pros & Cons of registering a car under Foreigner's name vs. Thai Parther

mzep

I just purchased a used car (2004 Honda CRV) and about to register it. I can either register it under my name or my Thai girlfriend's name. From a legal and practical perspectives - what are the pros and cons of registering in under my name vs. my girlfriend's name (trust is not an issue here - I am not concerned about her running away with the car). In the event of an accident, would I be liable above and beyond my insurance coverage? Thanks for any information and advice you can offer. Also, I would very much appreciate recommendations for an insurance company.

I don't think their are any pros or cons. The only one possible is that it's a quicker and more easy process to put it in the gf name.

Insurance will not be as straightforward as you imagine because some companies do not offer class 1, all risk insurance to cars of more than 10 years old. Try ...

https://www.gluaygluay.com/en/

Edited by billphillips

I don't think their are any pros or cons. The only one possible is that it's a quicker and more easy process to put it in the gf name.

Insurance will not be as straightforward as you imagine because some companies do not offer class 1, all risk insurance to cars of more than 10 years old. Try ...

rubbish.

put it in your name. don't be foolish. why would you consider putting your personal property in someone else's name? would you do that in your home country?

i've been married many years. my vehicle is in my name, my wife's vehicles are in her name. she wouldn't have it any other way.

My AXA 1st class on 2001 Honda CRV renewal is 10,341 this next year, after 4 years, accident free.

i forgot to say that i don't think you can get 1st class insurance on a vehicle over 7 years old. i'm sure i'll be corrected if wrong. we use Sri Ayudhya General Insurance for many years and have only had good business with them. you will need 2 policies; government and the supplemental which I believe pays up to 10 - possibly 20 million THB per accident and offers bail bond and bondsman in you are involved in an accident.

Always had my cars in my name... I've never seen any reason or even slight added convenience of not doing so....

You will need an Affirmation of Residence (from your Consulate) or from Immigration (IF you have a 90 day report)

Regarding Insurance: Peoples experience will vary - Ultimately anything is insurable. You can get 1st Clas insurance on a car older than 7 years (I had 1st class on a car 8 years old).

You may need to shop around for the quotes you like - A broker will help.

There are two types of insurance:

1) Por-Ror-Bor (Govournment insurance) which is compulsory.

2) Private Insurance (usually 1st Class (In the UK known as fully comprehensive)) - the quote will vary on Type of Car, displacement, Value etc...

Put the car in your name. I've had two cars in my name, with insurance Class A, and no problem whatsoever.

The gf at the time got pissed when I put that car in my name. Led to the relationship breaking up. I consider it very fortunate as I found out what she was all about. Until then, I would have never dreamed there would be issues like that.

The con being,

When your gf leaves you, she'll be driving away in her car.

or take out loans against it.

Yep, that happened to a friend of mine so he had to pay off the loan basically buying it twice. Interesting, the damn fool just kept in the wife's name after all that. I am afraid to ask how much she has borrowed on the house he thinks is paid for.

You might be better off posting in motoring forum for a starter.

You say that trust is not an issue which is good.....however value should be.

Much the same argument for houses, dogs, shares everything else. If you can afford to lose it through fire, theft, earthquake, coup, etc etc then it does not matter (ie it is a heap of crap car relative to your overall worth or ability to recover) put in in gf's name there is a value in making her feel good perhaps and trusted.

If this is going to make or break you then really think twice about it.

I have property in my wife's name (including three motorcycles).....and it would hurt a tad to lose it. However it makes her feel secure (which is important to me), gives her some status, and in the end if it all went pear shaped it is more than reasonable for time served.

A bit mercenary bit that's it for me.

Edited by mamborobert

I just purchased a used car (2004 Honda CRV) and about to register it. I can either register it under my name or my Thai girlfriend's name. From a legal and practical perspectives - what are the pros and cons of registering in under my name vs. my girlfriend's name (trust is not an issue here - I am not concerned about her running away with the car). In the event of an accident, would I be liable above and beyond my insurance coverage? Thanks for any information and advice you can offer. Also, I would very much appreciate recommendations for an insurance company.

Put the car in your name you would be stupid to put in gf name .

Tell me back in your country would you put your car in your gf name I would think not if you are smart.

Not understand how western man go to thailand and think that trust is no problem .

I think most man lever there brains at the airport and all they think about is the thai hairier loso .

@mzep,

listen to Oscar2, he is 100% correct. Why on earth would you want to put it in anyone elses name, unless the car is going to be driven by her alone?

Trust does not enter into the equation, yet :)

I bought myself a new car 2 years ago, it's in my name. At the same time I bought my TGF a new Honda motorcycle, I bought it for her and that's in her name. i got 1st class insurance with the vehicle, it's with Tokyo Marine and I'm very happy with them. I'll be renewing my policy with them in a couple months from now.

2 years ago I bought a one million baht car and after a while I decided to put it in my name, just to have ONE thing in my name.

Cost me, a very expensive (30.000) yellow book, for which I had to travel to BK twice (from Loei) with expensive paperwork.

And finally at the motordept, I was charged 8000 baht for the name change and a 22.000 for some prime insurance.

Since I am leaving I am only getting 500.000 for my car with only 25.000 km driven.

I am pissed.

Edited by wabothai

My car was in my wife's name. She was 20 years younger than me. She, a lawyer, died after a nine-day illness and without a will. I had to pay her parents one-third of the value of the car to get title. House situation is even worse as you can not own land. Bank accounts you will get two-thirds. I will PM you with the name of an agent at a brokerage here in Pattaya who will treat you right.

2 years ago I bought a one million baht car and after a while I decided to put it in my name, just to have ONE thing in my name.

Cost me, a very expensive (30.000) yellow book, for which I had to travel to BK twice (from Loei) with expensive paperwork.

And finally at the motordept, I was charged 8000 baht for the name change and a 22.000 for some prime insurance.

Since I am leaving I am only getting 500.000 for my car with only 25.000 km driven.

I am pissed.

There are people on TV who swear blind a falang should always buy new in Thailand, never secondhand. They refuse to acknowledge depreciation.

The con being,

When your gf leaves you, she'll be driving away in her car.

You've been quiet a long time - where have you been?

Off topic,

Been on holiday in the UK since before Songkran.

Living in London, couldn't take the CM heat and smog.

Back tomorrow. UK has been great, weather fantastic the past month. Don't post much when outside Thailand.

I am pissed.

Should've put it in your name when you bought it. Cost, certificate of residence. 0 - 500 baht, depending on your local immigration. Sounds like you were ripped off big time...

My money my car my name. Wife's car my name too. But wife always says half is hers.

Isn't the wife right? If married and then divorced aren't all assets obtained during marriage split 50/50.

Of course excepting things owned by each party before the marriage.

So does it matter or is there a difference who's name the car is purchased under?

Does it reduce red tape to be in your name in case of divorce?

Of course in your name!

500 baht for the resident letter from the immigration then give all the papers the Insurance broker, sorted. Car is in your name.

Tokio Marine i do recommend but

gluaygluay stay away!