To Run or Not to Run?

I'm at this school for the second day. Even though I've been going through my mind thinking that I should just pull a runner and leave I find an excuse to come back again. I even had second thoughts signing the contract.

Here are some details. I usually want around 35k straight a month. This is 32k with a 2k bonus for not missing any days.

The school is okay. It's actually in the top twenty of the Secondary schools in Bangkok.

However, I've got these nagging sensations.

First off, there's a teacher here who kind of made a comment like she expected me to know everything without anyone telling me anything. This is typical Thai style I I know. I took roll during the middle of class. She said that it's a rule to take it within the first six minutes. That's fine but it's the first time anyone has ever given me a roll sheet with names. I tried explaining to her that there's no consistency with the majority of Thai teachers telling me to start taking roll next week because this week is an introduction week. She just kind of gave me a "whatever."

I'll actually find myself working closely with this woman. Additionally, I think this school will be more work than my past positions. In my past positions I could make the curriculum with little oversight. This looks like I'll be watched more closely and expected to do better taking scores. Which is fine, but I expect to get paid accordingly.

I know most schools have started. I do like the fact that I'm in another top twenty school and there's air conditioning everywhere. Lunch is free, except it's not that tasty. The commute is not bad and there's no bus or motorcycle.

Yet, I still argue with myself internally whether I'm wasting my time here and I should just go somewhere else that will pay me more.

Can anyone relate? I need some wisdom from my experienced peers.

I didn't realise there was a top 20 list of Bangkok schools. And they are using an agency to recruit and paying 32k a month? They sound amazing.

Get on Ajarn.com, get your CV out and see what's about. Always easier to leave when you have something else lined up.

Hang on, they have aircon? Screw it, it's only the next 11 months of your life. What's the worst that can happen?

It doesn't matter how bad you think the school is, there are many worse, as we all know. 32K in Bangkok though? Good luck with that. Possibly doable if you were able to live right next door. An Issan school would give you the same money, but with half the monthly expenses.

The fact you would even live in a foreign country and work for 32,000 baht is troubling at best.

The Thai teacher is probably on to the fact you are not a professional teacher and only there to survive.

I am sure there is some animosity towards farang teachers who have no credentials yet get paid more than Thai teachers.

You want to live in Thailand, suck it up.

I didn't realise there was a top 20 list of Bangkok schools. And they are using an agency to recruit and paying 32k a month? They sound amazing.

Get on Ajarn.com, get your CV out and see what's about. Always easier to leave when you have something else lined up.

Hang on, they have aircon? Screw it, it's only the next 11 months of your life. What's the worst that can happen?

The last school I worked at had air conditioning. This school has nicer air conditioning though because it's built into the structure like it's done in America.

But I can't stop thinking about how the base pay is only 32k. There a 2k bonus for not missing days and chances for overtime. However, I'm pretty lazy.

The last school I worked at had air conditioning. This school has nicer air conditioning though because it's built into the structure like it's done in America.

But I can't stop thinking about how the base pay is only 32k. There a 2k bonus for not missing days and chances for overtime. However, I'm pretty lazy.

Though not a teacher, your last 4 words leave something to be desired in my opinion.

Edited by james.d

I don't like working harder for less pay.

That is OK --------Now get out and find the high paying easy job that you have a "right" to be given.

Best be quick or all these high paying jobs will be snatched by those who are not "Lazy !

If you have a Non-B with the school name on it, just stick it out. Why go through all the hassle of that again. 32K in Bangkok is a bit low, but you did mention some

other perks that might be worth staying put.

His "problem" is not the perks but a colleague who has sussed the OP's self admitted laziness smile.png

Wait until you are paid for May, be it half a month or the full month? Then just leave. No one will really care. Schools go months without foreigners teaching. They wince but at the same time, some how they are saving lots of money. I'd no more take that yak and sass from a Thai teacher than I would some street vendor.

PS: Central Air Conditioning isn't that big a deal if you are some decent physical shape and not hungover. As long as the classroom's have good AC life goes on.

PS2: Every school in Thailand claims to be "Top 20" and in fact, "World Class". It's all about the funding from Bangkok.

Stand up straight, throw your shoulders back, stick out your chest, note you have a backbone, assert yourself and let them know you don't take any crap and have a great year. Nobody wants a whiny teacher. Worse case scenario take two Growacet and give them a piece of your mind. You're being bullied, you're going to let that happen?

I would play it safe and finish the contract. Keep yourself abreast of all the info on schools and the salaries they provide. Then when you near the finished contract date make your move. Knowledge is everything.

OP

A little cheese to go with your whine.

I agree you shot yourself in the foot when you said you were lazy.

Personally I think you are more worried that they are going to catch on to you and can your ass than anything else. That or god forbid they actually expect you to do a good job teaching.

As to top twenty in bangkok I find it hard to believe that a top twenty school would have only one NES as you seem to have established.

My advice GROW A PAIR you my friend signed a contract and agreed to what they wanted now man up and give them the best teacher they can find.

maybe next year they will raise your salary.

But at lest you will prove that you are not a lazy looking for the easy way out EX PAT that only cares about the money.

Usually that niggling feeling turns into more than a niggle. Your intuition is sensing the potential for upset and you're trying to suppress it. Listen to it. That's my experience anyway.

There's a load of teaching jobs on the TTL Job Board and I see some are paying 36-40k. Maybe stay there while you look for something you're more comfortable with.

Can´t really understand why anyone would like to live in Bkk and work for 32K Baht/month?
There is jobs in Bkk that gives you 50k and if you want to be a teacher why don`t get an education yourself so you can have a licens and be better paid?
My guess is you just to lazy to invest in your own future.

Your first paragraph sums you up, "pull a runner and leave". Wow what a dependable, upstanding chap you must be. In my book if you make a commitment you stand by that commitment until done.

With the attitude that you portray I hope that you are not now and never will be teaching my kids!! You admit that you are lazy, you cannot make important decisions without consulting a public forum, yet you want to shape the minds of the future. My advise; get away from that school, go and find a career that better suits you, perhaps noodle vendor!!!

Think your last comment says it all. In previous posts were you not asking for advice because you waited to the last min to apply for a position and were asking what you should do? Now your complaining that your not being paid enough (cause you waited till the last min and took what was available) and have to work harder.You also mentioned in previous post that maybe you were getting tired of teaching in Thailand if that's the case its time to leave. Can find other Asian countries to teach in some with better pay.

Not sure if I should say this. Last time I made a comment like this I was verbally abused by a senior member on Thai visa who knows everything about everything. The school will have a budget for a foriegn teacher. The school will say how much they willl pay. For example, a top schools have a 50-60,000 baht budget for foreigners. The cheaper the teacher the more the school (or someone in authority). As far your co-teacher she probably thinks your overpaid and underqualified. 32000 is a low salary for Bangkok