Debate rages as girl needs 100 stitches after savage dog attack in Bangkok estate

webfact

Dogs do not attack for no reason.

Rubbish, they do an kill hundreds worldwide every year

So do many things. Please quote a whole article not a select part. Obvious you must be journalist and Dog expert

Unlike humans or like humans - dogs attack for a reason..

When a dog attacks, it has it's reasons..

The girl ran... There is your reason..

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you telling me the dog has not been euthanized??? and the owner get's away because he pays? it's a disgusting indictment of 'Thainess'

In all fairness of the "system" the dog was not put down and the charges not laid because the father accepted the money as sufficient compensation.

If the father denied the money and persued this case to fullest legal extent I'm sure someone would be spending time in jail.

So the girl should suffer scares for life because her father is a poor negotiator? That dog should be put down and the owner do jail time and pay restitution until the girls face is normal.

I like to walk a lot especially in the early evenings. I quickly found out that there are a lot of dogs attempting to attack me, once bailing me against a fence, but no owner ever appeared to call the dogs off, i just had to do my best to escape. So i started carrying a very stout bamboo rod with one end sharpened. The dogs soon learned to leave me alone until one actually attacked me and i stabbed it with my bamboo rod and it took off howling. Within an hour i had an owner at my door demanding money, which i never paid. This is the answer one can expect from an owner of a savage dog. Farang = Money. These same dogs still worry motorcyclists and strangers, most worryingly those pushing children in pushchairs. The dog which i stabbed is still there, but he and his mates keep about 10 ft from me now. They are real smart.

You have the correct attitude but you should have killed the dog.

Why do the people who feed these strays not understand if you feed them they will breed and also the inbreeding these are doing will produce dogs that will be unstable,

don't feed them if they don't eat then they wont breed

We have a new road in Cha am and already the soi dogs are chasing motor bikes down it at night rendering it unsafe to use through fear of getting bitten.

Although many may disagree the dog should be put down for the safety of other children and anyone for that matter.

If I had a dog and it attacked someone and severely mauled them....especially a child....I would have the dog put down....there would be no second guessing.

A sad thing to have to do but that is the bitter reality of the matter.

One time, is one too many times.

Cheers

They could at least clean up the wild soidogs without an owner.

No they can't or there would not be (as govt admits) millions of the pests. Religion, apathy and something else are the reasons

Strange, they do in Myanmar and they have the same religion, apathy and something else

are you telling me the dog has not been euthanized??? and the owner get's away because he pays? it's a disgusting indictment of 'Thainess'

In all fairness of the "system" the dog was not put down and the charges not laid because the father accepted the money as sufficient compensation.

If the father denied the money and persued this case to fullest legal extent I'm sure someone would be spending time in jail.

So the girl should suffer scares for life because her father is a poor negotiator? That dog should be put down and the owner do jail time and pay restitution until the girls face is normal.

Absolutely....

And when it happens again????

I am surprised the father did not kill the dog himself or demand the dog be put down as how can his daughter walk down the same street with the same dog living near by and the probability of the dog attacking her again or any other child or person?

And what breed of dog was it....or just a Heinz 57 ???

Cheers

Disfigurement of the face of a girl is settled for 150,000 Baht!

Talking just about treatment cost?

What about the trauma - mental agony it caused - do the owner of the dog has a daughter?

Where is safety and security for our children? or safety of property is more important?

Loving dogs is somehow more fashionable - but somewhere we are forgetting our primary goals and priorities.....

I like to walk a lot especially in the early evenings. I quickly found out that there are a lot of dogs attempting to attack me, once bailing me against a fence, but no owner ever appeared to call the dogs off, i just had to do my best to escape. So i started carrying a very stout bamboo rod with one end sharpened. The dogs soon learned to leave me alone until one actually attacked me and i stabbed it with my bamboo rod and it took off howling. Within an hour i had an owner at my door demanding money, which i never paid. This is the answer one can expect from an owner of a savage dog. Farang = Money. These same dogs still worry motorcyclists and strangers, most worryingly those pushing children in pushchairs. The dog which i stabbed is still there, but he and his mates keep about 10 ft from me now. They are real smart.

You have the correct attitude but you should have killed the dog.

I was once bitten by a stray in our old soi and when I cornered the nasty canine and was beating it(with the plan to euthanize it) the neighbours grouped up on me and forced me to stop beating it. After that I was known as the cruel farang who didn't like dogs, can you imagine? 555!! I actually like dogs that are sweet and cute but the unreliable and useless ones that only exist to eat the leftovers of motocy taxi drivers and who foul the soi's and keep everyone up many nights should be euthanized. Maybe I'm not a dog lover after all wink.png

Stray dogs are a huge problem in SE Asia, not so much in Northern and Western Asia(they make for a tasty meal there). It's very difficult to fathom why SE Asians don't deal with their dog problem that's been around for decades if not longer. What's wrong with selling them off to Laos? No difference than importing chickens from HK

Another thing that at annoy me is that there are no street lamps along a Soi in Hua Hin that leads to rather large Thai as well as expat communities. Apart from the viscous Soi dogs, it is pitch black, so not conducive to walking to a local restaurant at night.

Don't walk..

Or

Buy a flashlight..

For sure, don't run...

Some dogs will attack..

Just stand still -- with a flashlight pointing at it..

I would recommend a 10,000 volt cattle prod ....and use it on the mangy soi dogs even if they are not harassing you.....just to let them know who is the Alpha male.

Cheers

But maybe someone can not afford to pay for expensive lawyers. The number of pro bono lawyers in Thailand is almost non-existant!

You sure about that? It seems there's an endless supply of posters on here giving their legal opinions day in and day out.

(I'm just kidding by the way, and my post was in no way to condone or condemn the father's action)

So sad that the poor girl who was attacked was not fully compensated, mental anguish, future prospects since scars will always be present, etc etc Please persue these aspects on behalf of the unfortunate child.

How is a "poor" father to know how to approach police and lawyers. He is probably humbled in the wrong way and does not dare approach them. How sad indeed! I hope that this being exposed in TV, something good will come out of it.

I must say again, there are certainly too many Soi dogs. I feel sorry for them, underfed and few people who care for them. However, the municipality should take care of this problem so as to allow both children and adults walk the streets in safety.

I love animals, but feeding the Soi dogs only augments the problems. Those who don't feed them have problems. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't dare walk outside of my community area, have been bitten several times, and my husband on his bike pretty severely. This without any provocation at all.

It is sad that one cannot take a walk outside the "complex" knowing that the odds of getting nipped or in the worst case bitten by a soi dog is very high.

Another thing that at annoy me is that there are no street lamps along a Soi in Hua Hin that leads to rather large Thai as well as expat communities. Apart from the viscous Soi dogs, it is pitch black, so not conducive to walking to a local restaurant at night.

Don't walk..

Or

Buy a flashlight..

For sure, don't run...

Some dogs will attack..

Just stand still -- with a flashlight pointing at it..

I would recommend a 10,000 volt cattle prod ....and use it on the mangy soi dogs even if they are not harassing you.....just to let them know who is the Alpha male.

Cheers

55555! This must be the funniest thread on the forum all day. You made my night a bit better after just listening to the f-ers bark relentlessly for 2 hours just now and me telling myself that I am really going to buy a BB gun this time.

Cheers

Edited by DaveinAsia

I love my many dogs, but would have no compunction whatsoever to kill a dog that was attacking a child like that. But only if I was there when it was actually attacking and killing it was the only way to make it loose its grip.

You cannot attack a dog later because it bit someone. But you can have it put down.

Compensation should have nothing to do with it, the dog should be humanly put down and the owner prosecuted (and made to pay proper compensation). An untrained dog like that is a constant safety risk, it cannot be trusted again and the owner cannot be trusted to keep it under control.

I cannot speak about dogs in Thailand but I can share with you my experience from the US. My daughter was attacked by a dog and received severe facial injuries and almost lost an eye. She was only 6 years old at the time. To make a long story short, the dog was not put down. It was determined by a vet that the dog was not dangerous since it had never attacked anyone before and was not showing any signs of aggression during the 7 day observation period. No criminal charges were filed against the owner of the dog for the same reasons. The owner would not agree to settle so I had to sue the person in civil court. Since they were represented by their homeowner's insurance and their powerful attorneys, I ended up with just enough money to pay the medical bills. My daughter received no money for pain and suffering or the scars she will wear for the rest of her life. So even in the US the legal and civil system are not always what you would expect them to be.

In the US the system is considerably less corrupt than in Thailand, and the judicial system, though in dire need of reform, is not completely broken, as it is here. However, one thing the US and Thailand have in common, is that cash is king. He who has the most money to spend on attorneys in the US, usually prevails. In that sense, the system is corrupt. You can follow that trail all the way to the top. It is all about cash.

If you need any proof of this theory, just look at the O.J. Simpson case.

Bloody things. Yes, dog should be put down and owner heavily fined despite coughing up. My boy has been bitten by a dog and a monkey here. With all his bluster, you'd think Prayut would at least try and move his country on with this. Thaksin, for all his foibles, had the right idea with the druggies imo. Use that as a template. This dog was owned, but people are attacked everyday by soi dogs.

The dog has to be put down. If it happened once it will happen again. I can understand a negotiated settlement for the "damages" between the dog owner and the father - that is the way things work in Thailand. However, I don't accept that the authorities allow the dog to continue to be a threat to humans. This should be non negotiable.

It is sad that one cannot take a walk outside the "complex" knowing that the odds of getting nipped or in the worst case bitten by a soi dog is very high.

I know how you feel. After a few close calls, I gave up walking or riding my bike in my village too because of the soy dogs. I stay in my moobahn and use the car whenever I have to leave the premises.

I will comment..

When I was in Thailand I was amazed by how many stray dogs there are in the suburbs, my goodness. I had a 20 minute walk from the motorbike station to my rented house and I did that only ONCE after I saw how many dogs there are. ANd this one time 1 dog was barking at me and growling like a mandman, I couldn't get past him. I could only turn away until he lost interest.
This was the only time I decided I wanted to have a healthy walk home. Other time I used motorbike each time, and even then sometimes I was scared.. because those dogs were standing on the street like "I don't care that you are driving, I will jump on you when you come close". This one time that I was walking home I saw the dog was actually biting the wheel of a driving car.... So anything is possible.

I'm all for dog freedom but common, I didn't feel safe when I was walking the suburb streets because of them.
Also, one time I was at the temple with nearby small lakes and I wanted to go around the lake.. At the far end of the lake 2 stray VISIBLY HUNGRY dogs came out of nowhere and were approaching me... I turned around and calmly went back... I was scared like hell.

Something should be done about these dogs. Next time I will always cary some kind of stick, I will buy these telescope metal stick just in case.

ps. OK, Seeing the video above I see I was wrong turning my back, lol. But If I didn't then I wouldn't be able to show that I didn't fear because I was terrified. In general I'm afraid of the barking dogs since I was bitten by one when I was a kid pretty bad.

Edited by Kwic

what's to debate? the dog should be euthanized, along with its owner.

My thoughts exactly. Although I don't agree with the last bit.

The dog should have been put down on the spot. I just can't see why you would want to debate it either. The owner charged and made libel for ALL expenses, now and into the future. Not just a one-off payment.

The poor little bugger, as if life isn't tough enough. Heartbreaking for a Mum and Dad. I hope she gets the best plastic surgeons available, regardless of cost, and they fix her.

We have dogs but kept inside walled 3 rai. We had the old girl get towards the end of the road and did not want her to suffer too much. Been a great companion to my wife for 8 years. Not wanting her to suffer for a few days then die painfully I had my wife look for a vet to give her rest peacefully. You would not believe the hassle it was. Even explaining it to a vet, had them looking at us like we were bad people for wanting to get the dog put down. They seemed to think it was better for the dog to die in pain than to be put down. These are supposed to be educated people and the carers of animals. We did eventually find some one but it was not easy. So for the people that say "just euthanize the dog" then the next step is finding someone to do it. And NO they will not give you the drug so you can do it.

Which all brings us back to, "How much crap would you be in if you were caught with an extendable baton?"

A walking stick, made of something like hickory, would certainly do the job, but it would be a bit of a bloody nuisance to carry all the time.

Wayne seems quite effective. I'm more a "point figure straight at one, stick chest out, tense muscles and give it "Yut!!!" The dogs have got pretty low self-esteem and they're accustomed to confident locals telling them where to get off.

Reminds me of a family story...

My grand father serving in the army during the second world war saw a dog attacking sheep so he shoot it, the farmer was so grateful he turned up at the barracks the next day offering a reward, for his actions my grand farther was put on charge.