Debate rages as girl needs 100 stitches after savage dog attack in Bangkok estate

webfact

They could at least clean up the wild soidogs without an owner.

No they can't or there would not be (as govt admits) millions of the pests. Religion, apathy and something else are the reasons

I doubt soi dogs would perpetrate an attack this savage unless they were in a pack.

To me this looks like a dog that has either been attack trained and/or been habitually mistreated and abused by its owner.

To know the breed would be helpful. Some breeds are more liable to do this than others.

I sympathise with the father having to make the choice between accepting a decent sum of money or stick to principles and risk getting less or nothing or more but too late to help his daughter. It is quite possible that this was a considerable sum of money to the dog owner, possibly as much as 10 months salary depending on who he is and what he does, and at the end of the day who is helped if he goes to jail for this?.

I think until accountability becomes part of the culture this type of situation will continue happening.

At the moment drivers are not held fully accountable for their mistakes nor are policemen or their families, or the suppliers of food or owners of boarding schools or hotels or banks or anything else really.

Even Generals are not accountable for their actions, so it is perhaps not surprising then, that people are not held accountable for the actions of their pets.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must say I am sick and tired of the Soi dogs. I live in Hua Hin, and cannot take a walk outside my gated community because I know I will be attacked by the numerous wild dogs running along the streets. It's sad, I can't even take a15 min walk to a nearby restaurant due to my fear of being attacked by the wild dogs.

My husband walked to the nearby temple and was bitten by the dogs that the temple looks after. The monks assured my husband that their 20 or so dogs were rabies vaccinated. He still needed tetanus injections. It is truly a menace here in Thailand.

I don't understand why nothing is done about this!

Another thing that at annoy me is that there are no street lamps along a Soi in Hua Hin that leads to rather large Thai as well as expat communities. Apart from the viscous Soi dogs, it is pitch black, so not conducive to walking to a local restaurant at night.

This was not a soi dog attack so I have to wonder why everyone here is talking about soi dogs. What's it got to do with it? Soi dogs didn't attach this girl. If you killed all soi dogs tomorrow, this attack would not have been prevented. Not even expressing an opinion on soi dogs here - why? It's got nothing to do with the topic.

IMO Thais are OK taking care of soi dogs - some feed them, others poison them when they get too unruly. It's a balance.

Out in the country all dogs are pretty well behaved. When they misbehave they suddenly get very ill and disappear.

This seems to have been an unfortunate accident, not reflective of "all dogs" in general, or all dog owners (also got nothing to do with soi dogs, as a reminder). I agree with those who say the owner should be made to pay ALL expenses, plus a significant amount of damages, and his dog needs to get a restraining order, e.g. has to remain inside or on a leash. He got away with too little, it's not right. Putting the dog down or not could be debated - it's pretty harsh, I think it deserves a life sentence instead - just remain inside, so it cannot hurt people anymore.

BTW as horrific as the incident was, I am sure the girl will make a full recovery, in time. I've seen people recover from worse, our human healing powers are pretty amazing.

Another thing that at annoy me is that there are no street lamps along a Soi in Hua Hin that leads to rather large Thai as well as expat communities. Apart from the viscous Soi dogs, it is pitch black, so not conducive to walking to a local restaurant at night.

So why don't you just go and install street lamps then?

I am sure you could find others to share the cost. And such things are pretty easy to do in Thailand, generally speaking all you have to do is go to the electricity office or land department or whoever is responsible for street lights, and offer them to pay for it.

Dogs do not attack for no reason. The Dog had probably been coached to Guard. And Dogs are naturally territorial. So how it got out is the question. Once out it saw the child playing as a territorial invader and attacked. The Owner 110% at fault. And the truth as it has drawn blood most likely will do so again.

I love Dogs Have two myself but if the did as this one did. The would be put down. And no way do my dogs go uncontrolled on the street.

Poor little Girl scarred for life. No amount of money heal that or the psychological scars. Owner is always responsible for their Dog no matter what.

This evening I ride my mc down a Pattaya soi with my Thai wife on back, big black bastard dog charges out chasing me, nipping at my heel. I pulled up and ripped off my helmet and whacked him with it. Hard for me to talk for the dog but I'm sure he had his reasons...I shouldn't have been in his soi; maybe he didn't like the aftershave I had on...who knows. He had his reasons to attack. But now he has also given me reason to attack, so bye bye filthy mongrel, I'll be taking you out soon, you can look forward to an agonizing death.

Amazing Thailand! The saying never seems to go away. Does it? Hurt or kill a dog and one gets jailed or fined...A dog hurts a human and no penalty on the dog so it can maul someone else later on..

Australia has laws to protect dogs also but, has strict laws where dogs savage humans are killed and if owner found, charges are laid...

Jesus, please help me to understand the stupid Thai way of doing things.. I said a week ago in reply to a dog incident, it wont be long before someone is killed..

These idiots who made-up this ridiculous dog law in the first place, are they going to take any responsibility for injuries on humans from dog attacks?

No way! Thai thinking! Not my problem...

You are over the top

I think the dog law is ok, dogs don't deserve abuse. It should remain in place.

But there should be an equivalent law to protect humans against dangerous dogs

- and by the way dogs are dangerous only if t he owner neglects his duty or does not know how to handle them

- so in the end it is always the owner who is responsible, not t he dog.

I am not sure if there is not a suitable law in place - the question is is it enforced? (probably not, TIT)

I really do not know what the Dog Laws are ! But i do know that the dog should be euthanised and the owner taken before the courts, let them decide on compensation as Bht150.000 might sound a fortune to the father, but she will have expensive medical bills in the future, so there will be no compensation for pain and suffering that the poor kid has to endure.

Dogs do not attack for no reason. The Dog had probably been coached to Guard. And Dogs are naturally territorial. So how it got out is the question. Once out it saw the child playing as a territorial invader and attacked. The Owner 110% at fault. And the truth as it has drawn blood most likely will do so again.

I love Dogs Have two myself but if the did as this one did. The would be put down. And no way do my dogs go uncontrolled on the street.

Poor little Girl scarred for life. No amount of money heal that or the psychological scars. Owner is always responsible for their Dog no matter what.

It's a dog sometimes..

They do chase things running - sometimes.

This dog attacked as soon as she started running..

A trained attack dog would have got her, if she trespassed.. Or attacked the dogs owner..

A trained fighting dog would have got her running..

But, it never attacked before.. So, it just happened...

Edited by D3030

The dog should have been put down, it's a killer, singer was quite right owner should be prosecuted. Dog lovers will be along in a minute to tell us all how their dogs never harmed anyone etc whistling.gif

I'm a dog lover... My dog was a liability when we inherited him (Thai Bangkeaw) so I always kept him indoors or on a leash. We managed to slowly re habilitate him and now he is fine but I still keep him on a leash.

Owners of dogs that attack should be prosecuted. Dogs that attack should be re habilitated at the owners expense.. Do we put down humans that attack others ? No, we don't.

You quite obviously do not realise that we can talk to other humans no matter how violent they might be, and discover their problems and reasons. However it would be completely useless trying to talk with a mad dog to ask it what it's problems are. rolleyes.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

Sometimes as an owner you may not know if your dog would do what has happened here. if it was my dog, I would have put it down immediately. I wouldn't haggle about the damage on the child either. I would have taken her to the hospital myself.

150k thb just won't cut it.

Oh how I agree with that.

Years ago I was at a party and the hosts mut/bull terrier thing bit a young girl that was playing with it. Sad to say that it opened her cheek up. The young girl was taken to the hospital and the dog was shot there and then. I've had all sorts of dogs all my life but once the dog does that to a child it's finished in my opinion.

The dog should have been put down, it's a killer, singer was quite right owner should be prosecuted. Dog lovers will be along in a minute to tell us all how their dogs never harmed anyone etc whistling.gif

I'm a dog lover... My dog was a liability when we inherited him (Thai Bangkeaw) so I always kept him indoors or on a leash. We managed to slowly re habilitate him and now he is fine but I still keep him on a leash.

Owners of dogs that attack should be prosecuted. Dogs that attack should be re habilitated at the owners expense.. Do we put down humans that attack others ? No, we don't.

You quite obviously do not realise that we can talk to other humans no matter how violent they might be, and discover their problems and reasons. However it would be completely useless trying to talk with a mad dog to ask it what it's problems are. rolleyes.gif

Talk to the dog owner, you'll soon realise what the dogs problem is, especially in this case...

Yes, in the UK owners of dangerous dogs that attack people are prosecuted and can be sent to prison.

Just last week a dog attack on 11 children in a park

A woman has been charged after a dog bit 11 children playing in a Northumberland park.

Nine of them were taken to hospital and three were detained overnight after the attack in the park on Burns Avenue, Blyth, on Wednesday.

Claire Neale, 37, of Chasedale Crescent, Blyth, was held on suspicion of having a dog dangerously out of control.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36348865

By the way the she did appear in court on Saturday and is being remanded in custody, the dog almost certainly has already been put down.

Thailand should follow the UK example, dogs tagged by law...

Un-tagged dogs should be treated as unowned and sent to a dogs home where if suitable as pets can be chipped, neutered and vaccinated, or dealt with by other human methods.

Like calling in the pre mentioned Viet Namese dog contracting guy. cheesy.gif

Dear Nikster, first of all I do not believe that this little girl will be ok for a long time. Her face will be permanently scarred and will take many years for her to gain faith in dogs again, if at all. Furthermore her scars will be a liability to her in the future. I do agree, that this particular dog was not a Soi dog, and the owner(s) are responsible. However, Soi dogs seem to me to be a menace. If I walk outside they come up and snarl and act very aggressively I know many people who live around here who have been bitten or nipped around their heels or ankles, this developed into infectious wounds. However, I am aware of many Soi dogs being friendly and begging you to take them home with you.

As regards paying for street lamps, doubt I and a number of falangs could pay for street lamps along a 10 km road. It should be in the interest of the community in general to clean up the roadsides from all plastic rubbish that gets thrown out as well as having some street lamps. I know this is Thailand, and yes I can leave and live elsewhere which I am lucky enough to do when I feel like it.

In many ways I appreciate the disorder here, that's why I live here when I feel like it. I accept the potholes in the pavements, the smelly garbage lying around actually, even though I complained about it. But street lamps would solve a bit of the problem of people being robbed of handbags when trying to walk to a local restaurant by guys on their motorbikes.

In fact I lived in China for 15 years commencing 1998. In the beginning it looked the same as here now. Children were squatting and doing their shit in channels at the grocery markets. Pavements full of holes. However 15 years later, what a change. Streets clean, pavements clean, no garbage or plastic bags anywhere, air cleaner, the government did something about it, and this was in 15 years in Shanghai. Now we won't discuss economy here, let's talk about priorities. No one seams to care here about plastic garbage everywhere. I know that I've gone off topic, but the problem with Soi dogs, street lights etc remains an issue here. It all belongs to one topic, I.e.cleaning up the streets and helping to make it safe for everyone.

Some soi dogs do seem to get aggressive, guess the answer is to have a pack of dog food if one dates to venture out on the sois. Not always practical though. I love all animals, I must say, but do not like to be confronted with a pack of aggressive Soi dogs. I would love to take long walks, but this stops me from even thinking about it. Well, those are my humble thoughts.

It starts with an F and ends in ENCE...

Where I come from, ALL dogs outside your fence must be on a lead unless taken to a designated dog exercise area. Some might say this is the nanny-state approach, but not me. I love dogs and have always had one, but we can never ignore what they are capable of! Personally I think you shouldn't be allowed to have a dog unless you have suitable fencing, something which is almost non-existent here sadly.

One of my friends back home lost an eye in an attack outside a supermarket because the owner was 'clever' enough to think that his dog would patiently 'sit' at the door while he went shopping. Punishment and compensation doesn't grow eyes back! And the suffering this girl will endure is worth a whole lot more than 150,000 baht. Actually I find it hard to believe that will even cover her medical expenses. Agreement with the father or not, there should be much harsher penalties here. I would even say that the father shouldn't be allowed to accept such a deal.

Edited by tails

Don't walk..

Or

Buy a flashlight..

For sure, don't run...

Some dogs will attack..

Just stand still -- with a flashlight pointing at it..

There was a wonderful incident in Perth back in the mid 1970s. There had been several cases of dogs biting kids and lengthy court cases resulting. Anyway, this dog bite some guy's daughter, and the guy managed to catch the dog and chopped its head off with an axe. He then went and knocked on the front door of the dog's owner and when the owner opened the door he tossed the dog's head at the owner's feet and said....your dog just bite my daughter, you want to make something out of it?

There was a wonderful incident in Perth back in the mid 1970s. There had been several cases of dogs biting kids and lengthy court cases resulting. Anyway, this dog bite some guy's daughter, and the guy managed to catch the dog and chopped its head off with an axe. He then went and knocked on the front door of the dog's owner and when the owner opened the door he tossed the dog's head at the owner's feet and said....your dog just bite my daughter, you want to make something out of it?

Wow, sounds extreme although.... while I am normally a passive non-violent person, I think if a dog bit my child I might well react in the same way!

What a stupid answer about putting the dog down by the locals or the family...

That thinking is of the same mindset of an uncivilized society like Thailand. it does make sense why some people run away from law and order societies

It's a dog..

Posted 2015-01-03 15:53:43

I posted this a year ago. Police at the time said they could do nothing !!!!

go.png

star_big.png

POPULAR

My daughter was attached on White Sand beach at Koh Chang Lagoon Resort on Tuesday morning whilst we were having breakfeast.

She was biiten in the face by a beach mongrel and the staff at the hotel were no help. We rushed her to Bangkok Hospital in Koh Chang and then had to take her to Bangkok Hospital in Chantaburi because the was no surgeon at the Koh Chang hospital but she also needed an eye surgeon and Plastic surgeon.

We were terrfified of the outcome. 4 hours of surgery and a lot of stitching and it looks like things will work out as well as can be expected. Needless to say the Bangkok Hopspital bill was huge.

Two days later back in Koh Chang we had to retrieve our belongings and informed the Royal Thai Police what happened. We were taken back to the scene of the crime and the owners of Koh Chang Lagooon entered the discussions about the incident with the Police and us.

At the end of the day I dont think much will happen. We had photos of the dog that the police did not seem interested in but the hotel owners requested a copy so they could inform the staff to keep an eye on the malafactor. The next day the dog was back on the steps of the restaurant.

The reason for this post is to warn people about the risks of beach dogs not just at Koh Chang but everywhere. In my experiance once a dog bits a person he will do it again. In my country a court order would be issued and the dog taken away.

I made this known to the hotel owners and if it happened again and the outcome was worse they would be in serious trouble. I hope I am wrong but if the dog is not removed odds are it will happen again. No matter how vigilant you are as parents these freak things can happen.

You need to go on trip adviser and every other review site you can find and post separate reviews, name of the restaurant and the hotel allowed a dangerous dog onto the beach.

Only thing people understand here is money, zero compassion for other human beings.

Stray dogs and cats are a accident waiting to happen. Besides, hurting people and causing accidents the diseases they carry are dangerous to humans. BUT, Thai's do not care or control their so called pets.

I have a dog, but it looks like a pit bull ( Stafford TERRIER), and she is a very loving animal because like a child I take of her and maintain proper behavior in her. Where I live everyone knows her and at first glance she's scary but she's a big Teddy Bear.

DOGS are not the problem only their owners.

Many breeds of dogs have got a dangerous streak in them, Pit Bulls are among some of the most dangerous, They can be very affectionate and faithful, but their nature can turn at "the drop of a hat" as a neighbour of mine in Australia found out when his docile Pit Bull severely mauled a 4 yr old which wanted to pet him even though the owner was standing close by. That dog was destroyed !

are you telling me the dog has not been euthanized??? and the owner get's away because he pays? it's a disgusting indictment of 'Thainess'

In all fairness of the "system" the dog was not put down and the charges not laid because the father accepted the money as sufficient compensation.

If the father denied the money and persued this case to fullest legal extent I'm sure someone would be spending time in jail.

But maybe someone can not afford to pay for expensive lawyers. The number of pro bono lawyers in Thailand is almost non-existant!

If a dog attacked my child, I would not hesitate to strangle it, judges not withstanding !

Nah, don't do that mate, you end up in serious trouble. Here's vastly different to the Aussie incident I posted above.

Saw it on Pattaya TV a couple years ago, German guy down Sattahip, Thai neighbor's dog had bit him a couple times and bit his missus. So German guy flipped out and caught the dog and murdered it. Then the Thais called in police and TV cameras and the Thais were weeping and wailing on TV because this crazy farang had murdered their kid's lovely pet dog. Farang ended up in trouble with immigration.

When in Rome be like these sneaky bastards..smile you smarmy head off, say nothing, mix up the vilest rat poison with a can of the most delicious dog food.

If the dog is not put down, safe to assume it will still be living 3 doors down, as will the internally and externally scarred girl. Every day she will see that dog and relive that awful incident, and the dog see her. Who can say the dog won't attack her again? Put the dog down aka kill it. I would not object too much if the owner accompanied his pet.

If it was owned by a neighbour of mine, one can guarantee that there would be a "Tasty doggie tit bit" tossed over the fence one night.

I like to walk a lot especially in the early evenings. I quickly found out that there are a lot of dogs attempting to attack me, once bailing me against a fence, but no owner ever appeared to call the dogs off, i just had to do my best to escape. So i started carrying a very stout bamboo rod with one end sharpened. The dogs soon learned to leave me alone until one actually attacked me and i stabbed it with my bamboo rod and it took off howling. Within an hour i had an owner at my door demanding money, which i never paid. This is the answer one can expect from an owner of a savage dog. Farang = Money. These same dogs still worry motorcyclists and strangers, most worryingly those pushing children in pushchairs. The dog which i stabbed is still there, but he and his mates keep about 10 ft from me now. They are real smart.

Edited by oldsailor35