PM Prayut speaks out about deadly school fire - "don't wait for disasters before acting"

webfact

PM speaks out about deadly school fire - "don't wait for disasters before acting"

pm.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Prime minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha has expressed his deep regret for the Chiang Rai school fire than claimed 17 lives on Sunday night.

He said that authorities concerned should not wait for disasters to happen before implementing procedures as he warned all not to be complacent about regulations reported Thairath.

Sunday's fire in the Pitakkiatwithaya School killed 17 students aged 6 - 12 and injured several others. Investigations are underway to find out the cause of the fire that gutted the ground floor of a dorm housing some 38 hill tribe children. Many died in their beds on the second floor of the building.

PM Prayut said: "I am very sorry for those who lost their lives and the injured. This is a lesson for everybody.

"I have ordered all ministries and departments to double check that regulations are being followed nationwide. Things might need to be tightened up where slackness has developed in following regulations.

He said that everybody responsible should not wait for a disaster before acting and that appropriate procedures must be followed.

Prayut was also asked about the question of fires in tall buildings that has been raised as an area of concern recently. He said that he had ordered relevant departments to come up with a viable plan and this may involve soldiers and helicopters in fighting potential fires.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-25

"I have ordered all ministries and departments to double check that regulations are being followed nationwide..."

Logically (Gotta laugh about using that word in reference to Thai issues), if another tragedy like this occurs again, it has to be blamed on Prayut's lack of leadership. If all the ministries and departments ignore Prayut's orders, then Prayut will be viewed as an ineffective leader and will lose face.

Somehow I doubt that there will be an increase in the creation and enforcement of safety regulations, and that Prayut will care or feel that he has lost face. As long as he makes a statement that he thinks will appease the public, which will forget this incident in a week or two, he has carried out his responsibility as a leader.

Prayut's note to self: "Save this press release and issue it again the next time a preventable tragedy occurs."

Edited by jaltsc

He said that authorities concerned should not wait for disasters to happen before implementing procedures

This must be why we've seen four years of large-scale flood mitigation efforts across the lower Chao Phraya watershed... thumbsup.gif

Reacting to things after the fact would seem to be Thai SOP.

What's worse is the fact that all reactions are knee jerk and with no real follow through, just a short 'crackdown'. Police reform? Fishing industry reform? Political reform? Human Trafficing reform? Endangered species trafficing reform? Thai Buddhism reform? Taxi reform? The list is endless.

Edited by WhizBang

He said that authorities concerned should not wait for disasters to happen before implementing procedures

This must be why we've seen four years of large-scale flood mitigation efforts across the lower Chao Phraya watershed... thumbsup.gif

Could equally apply to his self appointed term as PM but maybe its too late already.

What's worse is the fact that all reactions are knee jerk and with no real follow through, just a short 'crackdown'. Police reform? Fishing industry reform? Political reform? Human Trafficing reform? Endangered species trafficing reform? Thai Buddhism reform? Taxi reform? The list is endless.

Definitely time to reform the reforms.

Inspector: ''Do you have your Fire Safety Certificate, Khun Building Owner?

Building Owner: :''No, but I have ten thousand baht and my Daddy is a magistrate, knows all the local Big Wigs and could possibly get your boss into the Country/Golf Club''

Inspector: 'Mai Pen Rai, here you are. Thank you! I'll see you in five years for your next inspection"

Building Owner: "If the place isn't in ashes you might...."

"I have ordered all ministries and departments to double check that regulations are being followed nationwide..."

Logically (Gotta laugh about using that word in reference to Thai issues), if another tragedy like this occurs again, it has to be blamed on Prayut's lack of leadership. If all the ministries and departments ignore Prayut's orders, then Prayut will be viewed as an ineffective leader and will lose face.

Somehow I doubt that there will be an increase in the creation and enforcement of safety regulations, and that Prayut will care or feel that he has lost face. As long as he makes a statement that he thinks will appease the public, which will forget this incident in a week or two, he has carried out his responsibility as a leader.

Prayut's note to self: "Save this press release and issue it again the next time a preventable tragedy occurs."

Saving face/appeasement is a poor excuse for not carrying out action to punish those who are in charge of enforcing law! About time for some heads to roll to set an example!

"Authorities" big on talk and small on action. Seemingly always re-active and hardly pro-active.

Yer forgot cleaning up the beaches cheesy.gif

Just thinking about, what this means, makes my brain hurt!

Yer forgot cleaning up the beaches cheesy.gif

And the most recent new one "cleaning out the bike lanes". Took roughly 5 minutes to become a street vendor problem.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

The news report stated the door/s were locked from the outside. I'm not sure if that has been confirmed.

If that evidence was confirmed, without a night, fire watchmen, then why isn't that danger being addressed and laws researched to prevent a similar disaster?

And who was the last person who locked the door/s?

I hope these questions are being asked and codes and laws researched.

A follow up story with factual evidence, current codes, laws and legal liability would be interesting for all parents.

The news report stated the door/s were locked from the outside. I'm not sure if that has been confirmed.

If that evidence was confirmed, without a night, fire watchmen, then why isn't that danger being addressed and laws researched to prevent a similar disaster?

A follow up story with factual evidence, current codes, laws and legal liability would be interesting for all parents.

Very few of these words and concepts I have highlighted in bold have a Thai equivalent.

But as far as the doors being locked, that seems to be contradicted by survivor statements.

The comment above was interesting, because in some of the worst building fires in recent history, loss of life was mainly due to locked, blocked or missing fire exits. I hope the Thai authorities have the courage and the integrity to properly investigate and report on the circumstances of this fire.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Dear PM,

When you are the boss and no-one is empowered to do anything unless you personally tell them to do it, and you can only hold one concept in your head at a time, then all action is reaction and your focus shifts from lottery to statues to fishing to slaves to Russians to fires to drought on a 24 hour cycle, and no lasting initiatives occur and crusades are started and left to stagnate and crackdowns become let downs and the country lurches from one disaster to another and NOTHING EVER GETS ANY BETTER!

You have people who are already supposed to be responsible for fire safety in schools and other public buildings. They are getting paid for it and they are not doing it properly. Find out why and hold them accountable, then look at how you make all those other people drawing taxpayers money month after month for doing jobs like being minister for agriculture or water and irrigation or running school systems or road safety or running the police farce actually accountable for their performance.

If nothing gets done unless you do it, your Governance is useless. Appoint competent people you can trust, give them the resources to do their job, then trust them to do it. Measure performance, have transparent appraisal systems and publish outcomes. Then with a bit of luck you won't have to stand up and regret one human disaster after another.

If you cannot manage this then let the country try to elect a leader who can.

The comment above was interesting, because in some of the worst building fires in recent history, loss of life was mainly due to locked, blocked or missing fire exits. I hope the Thai authorities have the courage and the integrity to properly investigate and report on the circumstances of this fire.

Yes you can hope.

Hope springs eternal. But don't hold your breath. The owner of the school is probably rich enough to make sure the right squeaky wheels get the right amount of oil After which it will all go quiet while the 20-second Thai span of attention ticks right on by.

It's the Thai way.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Very few of these words and concepts I have highlighted in bold have a Thai equivalent.

But as far as the doors being locked, that seems to be contradicted by survivor statements.

In the original article, I recall the survivors mentioning that they climbed down out of a second story window using bed sheets. So I guess there were no handy fire escapes.

Another example of incompetence inaction. To cry crocodile tears over the loss of hill tribe kids that Thais consider peons is so crass and emphasizes the Sakdina system of institutionalized inequality, made even more repulsive by its insincerity. Empty words are no substitute for what would happen if this were the American School Bangkok or one of the other upscale private schools that elite kids attend. There would be a site visit by him and appropriate ministry heads (education, health and human services, national safety) with an offer of help for the grieving families, schoolmates, and faculty. It is as if the little general decided like U.S. Democrats to never let a crisis go to waste and use it to gain political mileage. Words are cheap. If all he deemed necessary is talk, some low level official could have handled it.

Dear PM,

When you are the boss and no-one is empowered to do anything unless you personally tell them to do it, and you can only hold one concept in your head at a time, then all action is reaction and your focus shifts from lottery to statues to fishing to slaves to Russians to fires to drought on a 24 hour cycle, and no lasting initiatives occur and crusades are started and left to stagnate and crackdowns become let downs and the country lurches from one disaster to another and NOTHING EVER GETS ANY BETTER!

You have people who are already supposed to be responsible for fire safety in schools and other public buildings. They are getting paid for it and they are not doing it properly. Find out why and hold them accountable, then look at how you make all those other people drawing taxpayers money month after month for doing jobs like being minister for agriculture or water and irrigation or running school systems or road safety or running the police farce actually accountable for their performance.

If nothing gets done unless you do it, your Governance is useless. Appoint competent people you can trust, give them the resources to do their job, then trust them to do it. Measure performance, have transparent appraisal systems and publish outcomes. Then with a bit of luck you won't have to stand up and regret one human disaster after another.

If you cannot manage this then let the country try to elect a leader who can.

First class post. Nail on head.

Winnie

Three questions:

Are there laws that:

Required the school to have fire and liability insurance?

Require safety inspections

Require electrical codes and inspections when electrical service is installed

Making sure these things exist is acting before disasters.

Hope springs eternal. But don't hold your breath. The owner of the school is probably rich enough to make sure the right squeaky wheels get the right amount of oil After which it will all go quiet while the 20-second Thai span of attention ticks right on by.

It's the Thai way.

Winnie

I really don't think wealth is involved here, that's why the response is so muted. This doesn't involve any of "their own people". This was a Christian school serving poor hill tribe families. Wealthy people in this country don't do charity (unless it is for self promotion purposes and to crow about on Facebook.)

So its probably not money talking, but just plain old lethargy and incompetence from disinterested investigators.