Offices in Moobaan

I've been looking at getting a townhouse in Bangkok and I've noticed a lot of them allow small businesses to be run out of units. This seems strange normally in other countries zoning laws don't allow this. Should I be concerned at all? Seems small only like 1-5 person remote sales office. Seems like a very expensive way to get office space

I'm not sure what your question is. Do you want to know whether it is legal for people to use a town-house for a commercial purpose ? (In which case, yes, depending on the location and agreement of other owners if it is in a complex. Thai laws are generally more permissive in this area than other countries).

What kind of concerns are you talking about ? Are you planning on using your proposed townhouse for a commercial purpose, or are you worried about being disrupted by the business of other owners?

With respect to cost, renting office space vs renting or buying a whole townhouse would each have their own pros and cons and cost criteria. Obviously if you rent or own the whole house, you should have a lot more freedom in terms of how you use the whole space.

If you go for a better place, sansiri etc they forbid this type of nonsense.

One of my residences is in a Sansiri moobaan. They most certainly didn't stop commercial activity here. Perhaps one in fifteen houses was used for commercial purposes. You saw the business plates on the wall outside and stock piled high on the drive. And anyway, after a couple of year Sansiri handed over management of the moobaan to a private company which is even laxer.

One of my residences is in a Sansiri moobaan. They most certainly didn't stop commercial activity here. Perhaps one in fifteen houses was used for commercial purposes. You saw the business plates on the wall outside and stock piled high on the drive. And anyway, after a couple of year Sansiri handed over management of the moobaan to a private company which is even laxer.

Yeah its the same in the moobaan i'm looking. @oxx does it bother you much they have inventory all about? I can't see it being much more annoying then cloth hangers full of clothing in the driveway

Co -owners in a condominium have the protection of the Condominium Act

And a fat lot of good that is if the management and committee dont give a damn about the rules.

Before buying any property in a managed building or on a managed estate here it is vital to check out the management very thoroughly. Bad management can totally ruin a nice place in just a couple of years.

Yeah its the same in the moobaan i'm looking. @oxx does it bother you much they have inventory all about? I can't see it being much more annoying then cloth hangers full of clothing in the driveway

Well, let's just say I'm glad I don't live next to the guy who owns a petshop (or runs a wildlife smuggling ring - I haven't worked out which). His stock is both noisy and smelly.

And then there's the guy whose drive is piled high with plastic containers labelled "flammable".

And the one whose stock has become a playground for rats.

So yes, it does bug me.