Storms destroying modems

dick dasterdly

For some reason every storm destroys my TOT supplied modem.

This is a relatively recent problem, and I can't remember whether it only started after the modem I had bought (from a shop) eventually gave up the ghost - and so I obtained a modem from the TOT office.

Is anybody else having this problem? I ask, as my TOT modem has had to be replaced every time there has been a storm for a while now - but the dry spell made me forget until recently when I went through two modems in one week.....

I've bought a modem from a shop again, but have no idea what's causing the problem.

What kind of modem? ADSL or Cable or Fiber? If a phone line perhaps the line is not grounded at entry point to house (Old TOT lines often were not). Have you lost telephones if on a normal phone line?

I have not lost a modem ever and have been using here since internet first became available to those outside universities.

is it plugged directly into mains power or a UPS ?

It used to be plugged into a UPS, but they were still destroyed - so I bought a 'power surge protector' extension lead, and they were still destroyed by every far-away storm.

Sunday a.m. (I still had a TOT modem) I was on the computer and heard thunder in the distance, so immediately turned off the computer and modem (which was still fine) before unplugging the modem. In the couple of seconds between turning the modem off and unplugging it was destroyed - as I discovered when all signs of thunder had gone and so plugged it back in sad.png .

It makes me think that lightning is hitting a TOT overhead wire somewhere far away, and travelling down the line to a TOT modem that has no protection?

I gave up (when the TOT office told me they'd run out of modems - come back tomorrow), and bought a modem from a shop. There's a storm somewhere nearby (can hear the thunder in the distance), but I've deliberately not turned off the modem to see whether it is just the TOT modems that are destroyed by distant storms.

So far, so good - fingers crossed.

What kind of modem? ADSL or Cable or Fiber? If a phone line perhaps the line is not grounded at entry point to house (Old TOT lines often were not). Have you lost telephones if on a normal phone line?

I have not lost a modem ever and have been using here since internet first became available to those outside universities.

Not cable or Fibre, so presumably ADSL (overhead line?) - I'm illiterate in these things sad.png .

When I moved in, there was a 'phone line and an internet line - but I got rid of the 'phone as it was pointless.

My house is a bit 'out of the way' and isolated, but I'm wondering whether its the TOT modem that is the problem as I had a 'shop bought' modem for many years without any problems - its only relatively recently that I've gone through a few modems, all TOT supplied.

Incidentally, the storm is now moving away - and my new, shop bought modem is still working!

Run it off a UPS, get one with surge protection.

My UPS was an APC - an American and expensive UPS. I got fed up with the normal, cheap UPSs that had to be replaced every couple of years, and so thought it would be more sensible to pay far more for something that would last longer.

I bought another APC UPS for the TV system, but he TV streaming device connected to the internet was also destroyed a couple of times.... It didn't work for the TV system either i.e. the TV still cut out when the power cut out.

Any recommendations for a good UPS? A genuine question, although I don't think it would make any difference to the TOT modems being destroyed by every distant storm....

It likely was voltage that came in on the telephone line (which is the same two wires used for ADSL) - where wire connects to home wires there should be a small box with a ground wire going to a nearby stake to take such lightning to ground. If buying a new UPS might be worthwhile getting one with built in phone line protection as well as electric line.

You may well be right that the bought modems are more resistant to damage.

It likely was voltage that came in on the telephone line (which is the same two wires used for ADSL) - where wire connects to home wires there should be a small box with a ground wire going to a nearby stake to take such lightning to ground. If buying a new UPS might be worthwhile getting one with built in phone line protection as well as electric line.

You may well be right that the bought modems are more resistant to damage.

A few months ago (after modems/streaming boxes had been destroyed a couple of times), I paid someone to 'ground' the computer and TV area - copper (?) stakes - but I have no confidence that this was done properly sad.png . Having said this, the latest 'streaming box' has been fine - its only the modem that is destroyed by every storm, never mind how far away.

Any suggestions for 'good' UPS boxes would be much appreciated.

My UPS was an APC - an American and expensive UPS. I got fed up with the normal, cheap UPSs that had to be replaced every couple of years, and so thought it would be more sensible to pay far more for something that would last longer.

I bought another APC UPS for the TV system, but he TV streaming device connected to the internet was also destroyed a couple of times.... It didn't work for the TV system either i.e. the TV still cut out when the power cut out.

Any recommendations for a good UPS? A genuine question, although I don't think it would make any difference to the TOT modems being destroyed by every distant storm....

You can't beat APC. Wow you are really unlucky. I've been here nearly twenty years running modems from the dial up era to adsl, surfing the internet during thunderstorms where the lighting seems to be just outside the door with no ground on the mains and no surge protector and have never had a problem.

I have a small APC UPS that powers my printer, Modem and PC speakers (Main PC and its monitors are on a larger seperate UPS). It also does Data Line Protection which I run my adsl line through.

99% sure it is this one.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/ups/apc/bk650-as-back-ups-cs-650va-230v-asean-p001858/

Having previously (a couple of years ago) bought two APC UPS protectors - neither of which protected either my modem/TV streaming box or stopped the TV from shutting down every time the power cut out, I'm not that impressed with APC boxes.....

I have a small APC UPS that powers my printer, Modem and PC speakers (Main PC and its monitors are on a larger seperate UPS). It also does Data Line Protection which I run my adsl line through.

99% sure it is this one.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/ups/apc/bk650-as-back-ups-cs-650va-230v-asean-p001858/

Having previously (a couple of years ago) bought two APC UPS protectors - neither of which protected either my modem/TV streaming box or stopped the TV from shutting down every time the power cut out, I'm not that impressed with APC boxes.....

And ive only ever used APC and have never had an issue with them.

Fair enough if you have had a bad run and don't want another from them. Maybe google UPS+data line protection and find one from another maker but your beware your choices are limited in Thailand and to import yourself quiet possibly will be a costly exercise.

EDIT: maybe just a dataline surge protector will be sufficent if you do not want to buy another UPS.

http://www.stabil.co.th/data-line-surge-protector.html

Edited by Don Mega

This sounds "odd". What is meant by "destroyed" ?

More likely, if the OP lives in a rural area, the storms are taking out the 'internet' at a point remote from his router.

By destroyed, I mean they stopped working and were replaced (FOC) by TOT.

That was my thought too, the storms are 'hitting' some distant internet point and the surge has gone down the line to take out my TOT modems.

You can't beat APC. Wow you are really unlucky. I've been here nearly twenty years running modems from the dial up era to adsl, surfing the internet during thunderstorms where the lighting seems to be just outside the door with no ground on the mains and no surge protector and have never had a problem.

And that's the thing - I can't be that unlucky! There's something wrong somewhere, and I suspect its TOT modems/the line to my house.

Why the APC UPS doesn't work for my TV is a different issue, but it doesn't matter as it only means that the TV cuts out when the power cuts out - but the TV is fine when the power comes back on.

Have no idea what copper stakes were used for - suspect just to ground your computer chassis so you do not receive a shock from it rather than for lightning surge protection.

Be careful buying APC - some lower priced units are not user survivable for battery replacement and many do not have plug/outlets used in Thailand. Other than that they do work well and did last a long time. Just check the outlets are usable for you.

On outside of your home - where the phone/ADSL line connects to your house phone wire - there should be a small box as on right of photo that pulls off to see connected overhead wires on one side and home wires on other and a ground wire to protect from lightning going to a ground stake. If you do not have this box you should get and install a ground for it.

pic2.jpg

Have no idea what copper stakes were used for - suspect just to ground your computer chassis so you do not receive a shock from it rather than for lightning surge protection.

Be careful buying APC - some lower priced units are not user survivable for battery replacement and many do not have plug/outlets used in Thailand. Other than that they do work well and did last a long time. Just check the outlets are usable for you.

On outside of your home - where the phone/ADSL line connects to your house phone wire - there should be a small box as on right of photo that pulls off to see connected overhead wires on one side and home wires on other and a ground wire to protect from lightning going to a ground stake. If you do not have this box you should get and install a ground for it.

pic2.jpg

Many thanks - it seems likely that this is the problem as I've seen nothing similar to that on my house - so now I just need to find someone to install the proper protective 'box'.

Wish me luck, as finding trustworthy people for electrical jobs are as rare as hens' teeth for small jobs sad.png .

Why the APC UPS doesn't work for my TV is a different issue, but it doesn't matter as it only means that the TV cuts out when the power cuts out - but the TV is fine when the power comes back on.

Are you sure it wasn't plugged in to a 'surge protected only' output? Many UPS's have them to connect laser printers which UPS's don't like on the maintained outputs.

APC are THE go-to manufacturer of UPS and power-conditioning devices, I'm surprised you have had issues.

Not cable or Fibre, so presumably ADSL (overhead line?) - I'm illiterate in these things sad.png .

When I moved in, there was a 'phone line and an internet line - but I got rid of the 'phone as it was pointless.

My house is a bit 'out of the way' and isolated, but I'm wondering whether its the TOT modem that is the problem as I had a 'shop bought' modem for many years without any problems - its only relatively recently that I've gone through a few modems, all TOT supplied.

Incidentally, the storm is now moving away - and my new, shop bought modem is still working!

The lightning is just running in on your phone/xDSL line. You can buy lightning protectors for phone lines at many stores which should offer some protection. Phone lines are un-shielded and easily subject to picking up lightning strikes. Also sounds like the phone company doesn't have much lightning protection on their lines and main junction boxes.

About 5 years ago when I was still with TOT ADSL lightning struck my neighbor's house, blew a small hole in his roof, and also smoked my TOT ADSL model, the router hooked to it, a cordless phone hooked to the line, and another phone. Lightning just rode in on the phone line. I bought a couple of of lightning/surge protectors for my the phone lines. Shortly after that I was able to switch to True DOCSIS/cable internet. And the neighbor got the hole in his roof patched the next day.

Does it destroy it or just hang it up? If the modem is burnt it is destroyed, otherwise a rest of power to it may well solve the problem

I reckon if ToT have been replacing the modems there is a good chance they might be fried.

What shops can you buy modems at?

Does it destroy it or just hang it up? If the modem is burnt it is destroyed, otherwise a rest of power to it may well solve the problem

I reckon if ToT have been replacing the modems there is a good chance they might be fried.

Sounds like it but I know 3BB changed one of mine. I told them try powering off / on but no they just changed it. It would be nice to see a photo of the OP's unit to get an idea

UPS's won't help you with a phone line lightning strike because the lightning is coming in on your phone/xDSL line and not the power line.

Some Ups's allow phone line(s) routed through. My APC 1100 does.

post-186971-0-50270900-1464236439_thumb.

Living ~ 25 kliks east of Promenada, CM. Have used bog-standard single antenna TOT modem plugged into telephone line for over 3 years. Many big storms, no problems at all. Average speed of between 8 and 10 Mbps.