Spa association urges authorities to give them a happy ending

webfact

Spa association urges authorities to give them a happy ending
By Coconuts Bangkok

rsz_8569035060_527dc688bf_k.jpg
Street massage. Photo: Ronald Tagra/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- The Federation of Thai Spa Associations (FTSPA) is asking the government to crack down on the sexual services on offer at some of the country’s many massage parlors.

FTSPA advisor Apichai Jearadisak noted that many massage parlors are offering sexual services to tourists and damaging the reputation and image of traditional Thai massage parlors and spas.

Spas and traditional Thai massage are one of the big draws for tourists traveling to Thailand, but some visitors might get rubbed the wrong way when they are offered services in the back room that are very different than those that appear on the services list by the door.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/26/spa-association-urges-authorities-give-them-happy-ending

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-05-26

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the offer of being rubbed the wrong way that pisses me off. It's easy enough to say no and prevent them from trying to get a rise out of your privates while getting the massage. But many places want huge amounts from you when they have seen a positive response from their massage. Ridiculously high priced.. and yet they are persistent through the whole massage even after being told No!

Edited by thesetat2013

Didn't know traditional Thai massage offered happy endings. Oil massages, which many (most?) shops offer, yes.

Anyway, Thailand, massage and happy endings are very well known world wide, and I would think something of a draw for many tourists. Even the 5 star hotels offer massages with happy endings, but for a very high 5 star price. This will NOT hurt Thailand nor it's tourist industry. Just more cultural prudishness from a few unhappy people.

Any traditional Thai massage shop that is concerned about this or their image, the answer is simple. Stop offering oil massages in private rooms.

quote name="thesetat2013" post="10788254" timestamp="1464234476"]

It's not the offer of being rubbed the wrong way that pisses me off. It's easy enough to say no and prevent them from trying to get a rise out of your privates while getting the massage. But many places want huge amounts from you when they have seen a positive response from their massage. Ridiculously high priced.. and yet they are persistent through the whole massage even after being told No!

You toss an air biscuit or two out there and I assure you they will lay off.

This is all about someone wanting to make a name for themselves, no more no less. Even the Song “One night in Bangkok” talks about this. It will pass just like everything else. Now going back to addressing motorbikes driving on the sidewalks is a worthwhile go after topic.

The Federation of Thai Spa Associations (FTSPA) should be asking it's members to display it's logo sign in the window and on their menu stating it's members don't give your member a happy ending and leave the others alone. Simple

The Federation of Thai Spa Associations (FTSPA) should be asking it's members to display it's logo sign in the window and on their menu stating it's members don't give your member a happy ending and leave the others alone. Simple

Best post so far, a thinking man at last. When I left school my first job was an assistant in a hardware store. It was in a poor area and too many customers were coming in asking for credit. My boss obliged with 2 customers and once they got the goods never saw them again. So he had a small poster printed that said; please do not ask for credit as a smack in the face may offend, which he had on full display at the entrance. It worked and the boss never lost any trade over it either.

Similar with the spas and massage parlours they could easily display a sign something on the lines of, customers who request sexual services will be banned from the premises and the staff member sacked. Good idea.

I had encountered 3 places 1 of which in a hotel who tried to get my little COBRA up?? within few minutes of going under their hands? No..I said "NO" but they tried again to the extent I had to get up and leave refusing to pay a penny.There should be an authority to protect clients

from thise trying to deviate from the service one went for.Happy Ending should have lable outside and approved by the TAOT as well as the RTP???

To be honest, I don't get a kick from Thai traditional massage. Most of the times they hurt me pretty much and would I be in for a HE. Don't think so.

As mentioned above, yes, oil massage. Relaxing and inviting.

This is all about someone wanting to make a name for themselves, no more no less. Even the Song “One night in Bangkok” talks about this. It will pass just like everything else. Now going back to addressing motorbikes driving on the sidewalks is a worthwhile go after topic.

Don't forget that song was banned in Thailand. From Wikipedia - Thailand's Mass Communications Organisation issuing a ban on the song in 1985, saying its lyrics "cause misunderstanding about Thai society and show disrespect towards Buddhism"

Best post so far, a thinking man at last. When I left school my first job was an assistant in a hardware store. It was in a poor area and too many customers were coming in asking for credit. My boss obliged with 2 customers and once they got the goods never saw them again. So he had a small poster printed that said; please do not ask for credit as a smack in the face may offend, which he had on full display at the entrance. It worked and the boss never lost any trade over it either.

Similar with the spas and massage parlours they could easily display a sign something on the lines of, customers who request sexual services will be banned from the premises and the staff member sacked. Good idea.

On the periphery of Amsterdam's Red Light district there is a Thai Massage Spa. It offers traditional Thai massages, Oil and aroma therapy relaxation massages, and Swedish massages. There is a very big sign, in several languages explaining this is a Spa not a brothel and that no sexual services will be offered. It also has a map showing the way to walk to the red light district for those who want those services. For those who know Amsterdam it's a few minutes walk from the SAS Radisson Hotel.

They put the sign there for the sort of dweebs who think Thailand is all like Pattaya, Soi Cowboy, Nana, Patong etc,; and that all Thai women are whores and all spas offer sex.

Some posters here fit that category. Reality is there are massage parlors in certain areas, which most foreigners know, are really just offering sexual services and maybe a very average massage. Then there are considerably many more spas located all over that are genuine and offer very good varieties of massages and treatments. If you get the two confused, even just from looking, then you need a common sense check. Most people of reasonable intelligence could spot the differences very easily.

I had encountered 3 places 1 of which in a hotel who tried to get my little COBRA up?? within few minutes of going under their hands? No..I said "NO" but they tried again to the extent I had to get up and leave refusing to pay a penny.There should be an authority to protect clients

from thise trying to deviate from the service one went for.Happy Ending should have lable outside and approved by the TAOT as well as the RTP???

You must be "hansum man".

I've been to many spas where the ladies were excellent. Found my injuries themselves before I told them, and sorted them. Excruciating pain on a couple of occasions as my knackered neck and should injury were sorted. But well worth it. Usually they are old and experienced but sometimes young (and strangely they are short and stout but brilliant at sorting the issues with sports related age injuries).

Go to one of the ones off Sukhumvit in Nana - Emporium and you might get a different experience!

Many years ago while staying in a 5 star hotel, my wife and I went in for separate massages in the basement of the hotel.

BOTH of us got offered a happy ending.

We both declined.

And with my wife, after she said "no thanks" the woman said she lived not too far from the hotel, and suggested "why don't you and your husband come by for dinner this evening."!!

I am now single, and I don't go in for massages nearly as much as I used to because it gets really annoying when one of the ladies will not easily take "No" for an answer.

Wasn't there a fellow who ran for Mayor of Bangkok who owned an entire chain of "happiness studios" and the entire electorate knew about it? I recall that the guy ran pretty close to actually become Mayor.

If the employees working there are not doing it against their own will and of legal age - well, where there is a demand there is a supply; in the privacy of a fancy 5* spa in most luxury hotels, resorts and fewer stars all over the country.

Sounds a little like the "Spanish Inquisition" which took place 500 years ago then giggle.gif

I doubt the Junta wants to do anything to disturb the tourism numbers which are holding the economy together (barely). And he cares little about the exploitation of young buffalo girls from the northeast. I wonder what the TAT numbers would look like if you removed the sex tourists.

Edited by VN4now

i go to pattaya every year, even there particularly at the places where gals wear uniforms such as along beach road, you

can get a straight forward massage without extras, what is problematic is the ladies depend on money from extra services to get

any sort of half decent income, in the low season (that is just about all year long now) many workers

may get i customer a day if they are lucky and that may be just for a foot massage, also some nationalities are tight wads

and hardly tip at all

personally i dont see what the problem is if a lady wishes to give services as long as she is not coerced in any way,

to me having the genitalia massaged is a natural part of a massage, but then im not a repressed puritan labouring under

the belief systems based on fantasies of deities living in another dimension that have created rules and regulations for us !

For over 40 years, tourists have come to Thailand for happy endings which fed millions of Thais, paid medical bills, provided shelter, air conditioning, transportation, developed small businesses which accelerated the velocity of cash flow into Thailand to help make it what it is today.

I'm sure all the negative posters just hate a happy ending!

It's the narrow minded, Puritan do gooders that always wreck everything.

If you don't want a happy ending don't go or tell them before hand what you want and if they don't follow your instructions reduce the pay, no tip and leave!

If you kill the goose that laid the golden egg, history has show us what happens to those countries when you make poor decisions.

And, seldom do they return to what they were!

The reason we have an angry, stressful world is because there are not enough happy endings.

When did sex become a bad thing?

Many countries are at war, or have major civil unrest; people are starving all over the world and losing everything and some here are complaing about happy endings!

Unbelievable....

Edited by Kabula

For over 40 years, tourists have come to Thailand for happy endings which fed millions of Thais, paid medical bills, provided shelter, air conditioning, transportation, developed small businesses which accelerated the velocity of cash flow into Thailand to help make it what it is today.

It's the narrow minded, Puritan do gooders that always wreck everything.

Picture .... your 18 year old daughter giving sexual services to a sweaty old drunk tourist. If you are ok with that image, fine.

No worries though, it is a big part of tourist numbers it is going nowhere. So if Thailand is going to have a state sponsored sex-industry, they should at least provide health checks and services to the gals - for their sake and the Johns.

Wasn't there a fellow who ran for Mayor of Bangkok who owned an entire chain of "happiness studios" and the entire electorate knew about it? I recall that the guy ran pretty close to actually become Mayor.

Sounds a little like the "Spanish Inquisition" which took place 500 years ago then giggle.gif

Chuwit, he published a list of all the different people he paid off from the massage parlors, amounted to millions! hasn't made much difference has it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuwit_Kamolvisit

I agree... the spas should just fly their flags... If they don't offer happy endings, they can put up a sign:

'NO HAPPY ENDINGS'

The places offering happy endings don't need no sign!

Personally, I don't understand why someone would want a happy ending at a massage joint... there are places built for that and so much more!

Didn't know traditional Thai massage offered happy endings. Oil massages, which many (most?) shops offer, yes.

Anyway, Thailand, massage and happy endings are very well known world wide, and I would think something of a draw for many tourists. Even the 5 star hotels offer massages with happy endings, but for a very high 5 star price. This will NOT hurt Thailand nor it's tourist industry. Just more cultural prudishness from a few unhappy people.

Any traditional Thai massage shop that is concerned about this or their image, the answer is simple. Stop offering oil massages in private rooms.

End the happy ending, means end of Thailand tourism. What else can Thailand offer?

I think the key word is HAPPY. A happy ending. As the Junta was all about HAPPINESS (at least for the first month or so) I think they should be endorsing happy endings along with many other happy events. How about a government sponsored sign on massage parlours which provide this service saying something like;

"this establishment is officially registered to provide happiness to (the) people."

They could have an official happy song to sing as the massage approached its climax.

The logo could even have a cartoon soldier with a smiley face so that we are sure the happiness is connected with the army.