Advice on buying a motorbike

I am considering buying a motorbike for the daily commute to work of about 20km round trip in Bangkok, the top speed of the road would be about 80km/hr but most of it being around 40km/hr with traffic. I know very little about motorbikes but from the research I have been doing it looks as though the PCX150 would be the most suitable but I also wonder if the click would be good enough. I am around 100kg in weight.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on my ideas or other possible motorbikes please do let me know.

Also I would like some advice on the following;

I have a car license - would I need to take any additional tests to get a motorbike license?

Can anyone recommend any good motorbike shops in central Bangkok or Bangna area especially one that speaks English.

Thanks

I have a Click and going 80km is not hard at all and can go a lot faster if you so desire and of course the bike is cheaper. PCX150 is a good choice too for many

As for license, if you have a motorbike license from your own country you can get a 2 year Temporary Motorbike License which can be upgraded to 5 years in the future.

If you do not have a Motorbike license and you want to go legit

1. You need to get the right paper work together

2. You got to take a test on rules of the road etc (yes there is a test in English)

3. You got to take a motorbike test on a very small and easy course (but people still fail it)

Or you can not get a license like many and pay the 500 baht fine I believe it is everytime you get caught

hit me up with some links on the motorbike test procedure if you want I got a couple links just dont want to spam it

Yes, also need bike license... both can be included on one card nowadays apparently.

Click more nimble in heavy traffic. The 125 will easily shift 100kg (these CVT's go like stink) and they also have the idle/stop feature like the PCX. Dunno about shops, but any of the big Honda centres in C Bangkok should have an English speaker I would've thought.

An honest answer. Please buy a bike where the engine isn't under your seat, like a scooter. Buy a 125 cc Honda, Yamaha and you'll never regret it.

My Thai friend has a motorbike shop and scooters come and go. You don't see the classic bikes that often. We've got a 14 year olf Yamaha Best II with 55,000 km on the clock ad i can beat the shit out of most scooters. ( If I'd like to)

These "ordinary bikes" now all have fuel injection, most of them are reliable and are much better than a scooter.

The PGr looks a little bit stupid and owners might tell you how good these scooters are. Truth is that they're heavily overpraised, expensive and not worth to buy one. Of course only IMPO.

I hate two hand brakes and on a scooter you can't get your feet down fast enough just in case.

Buy a "normal bike" with a pedal brake, two discs preferable and you can't do anything wrong. i grew up with motorbikes, then big bikes and a sort of know what I'm talking about.

Please don't buy yourself a piece of a headache with 90 % plastic. Cheers-

P.S. Please forget the "idle stop" bikes, it's more than a joke. All you need is to buy new starters and of course new batteries. For what?

Such a little bike doesn't need a lot of gasoline. .

Edited by lostinisaan

Majority of the bikes unless you go big, the engine is going to be under the seat. I've started with a click 110, today they are 125 pretty much the same features as the PCX, my old click I put on larger rims,tires and a good gas shock and it rides much smoother and better. I purchased a 150 PCX, two years ago do not regret it at all. Also changed to a good set of gas shock and slightly bigger tires front and back. I think for what you what to use it for speed and distant the PCX should more than do. Here in Pattaya for the money and value, 80,000 baht, Click is around 48,52,000 baht.. Yamaha now has a very similar bike I think it is around 90,000 baht.

You do not say if you have had a lot of riding experience on bikes? If not, I would really double think whether you are adequately able to negotiate a 20km each way trip daily and survive much longer than a few months.

Here in Pattaya, I tried a 10km trip to take my SO to work and we were nearly cleaned up a half a dozen times. I gave up and she took the Songtauw bus from then on. If I had to take her or pick her up for any special reason, would take the car mostly.

Please consider this, even after 8 years riding here in Pattaya, I was 'cleaned up' the other day as I was turning right by a young idiot, flying down the wrong side of the street at great speed, clipped me and A over T I went, no serious injuries but lots of muscle damage and gravel rash. I was lucky!

My advice is DON'T buy a motorbike.

One bad accident on the highway could buy you a lot of used cars that offer you more protection after you incur the medical bills....that is if you survived.

Most medical policies now exclude injuries from motorcycles.

The motorcycle policy would cover some medical bills, but as I recall the policy limits were inadequate. Then they try to throw the 'preexisiting denial at you for some charges.'

Most travel policies now even exclude motorcycle taxis.

With serious accidents, most private hospitals without proof of insurance require a minimum of $20,000 credit on one or more credit cards just to get admitted.

Even if the other person, a Thai citizen was at fault you would have an uphill struggle collecting and would require paying a Thai lawyer, if you could find a licensed trial lawyer, a big retainer.

Sometimes, it's cheaper to rent a car for an extended period of time when you consider, depreciation, maintenance, insurance and all the paperwork hassles.

A responsible driver is the best way to go if you can find one. Many of them rent cars. Actually, two would be better as they are not always available.

Good luck...

Edited by Kabula

If you have no experience riding a motorbike this is not the country to learn. I had a small accident in the rain and damaged my leg....two surgeries, three months, and 400,000 baht later I was fixed. I could have bought a nice used car for that amount.

Bangkok is not the place to learn at all.

What makes me nervous in the OP is "I know very little about motorbikes". Commuting on a motorbike if you have not been riding for years in Thailand is a recipe for disaster. I had 30+ years experience and over 170,000km on big bikes before I came to Thailand and it was still harrowing for the first year or so.

That being said, the only thing I would suggest is a narrow body bike. The PCX is cute and all but it is definitely larger and will not fit in all the gaps a smaller bike can fit in. I love my Honda Wave 125i, it has plenty of power for a 100kg guy and can fit neatly in most tight spots. For fun I ride my Stallions 150, but it has no storage area and no helmet lock, so not a great commuting bike.

Click is big enough for riding in bkk traffic, have a look what the moto taxis are using, you wont see many pcx. Idle stop and cast wheels adds around 5000B to price and is of very little use, 5000B will get you around 200l of fuel and its not hard to turn the key off while waiting at the lights.

I perfer the Yamaha fino (full size, not mio) myself, its the most comfortable scooter i have ever owned.

Before buying, go and hire a few different models for a day and see what is comfortable for you

Go for the Honda MSX 125, this is just real good, lot of fun and the best to get into traffic jam, you won't regret it !

OK you'll have to learn basics of motorbikes, that is not difficult to understand and will give you more pleasure and flexibility than full auto transmission.

If you need a hard topcase you can add it for +- 2000 thb + 900thb metal fixation part.

Have Fun + a good helmet, gloves, proper jacket, real trouser and shoes, otherwise better buy a car for security matter.

One bad accident on the highway could buy you a lot of used cars that offer you more protection after you incur the medical bills....that is if you survived.

The motorcycle policy would cover some medical bills, but as I recall the policy limits were inadequate. Then they try to throw the 'preexisiting denial at you for some charges.'

With serious accidents, most private hospitals without proof of insurance require a minimum of $20,000 credit on one or more credit cards just to get admitted.

Even if the other person, a Thai citizen was at fault you would have an uphill struggle collecting and would require paying a Thai lawyer, if you could find a licensed trial lawyer, a big retainer.

Sometimes, it's cheaper to rent a car for an extended period of time when you consider, depreciation, maintenance, insurance and all the paperwork hassles.

A responsible driver is the best way to go if you can find one. Many of them rent cars. Actually, two would be better as they are not always available.

Good luck...

Here we go again !

The OP asked for advice on what he should purchase, NOT if he should purchase.

Please buy a bike where the engine isn't under your seat, like a scooter.

This is a bizarre statement, a scooter with larger or chunky wheels is far safer than a traditional motorcycle. When he has the inevitable close call or collision from the side then with a step-through design his legs wouldn't suffer as much damage as they would if they were sandwiched between an engine and a car.

Also a scooter is a workhorse, he can hang shopping from a hook in the step-through part when collecting essentials on the way home and he can lock a decent quality helmet under the seat as opposed to hanging or locking it on the bike, better in rainy season as well. On a motorcycle he would have to carry any shopping on his back, with a few glass bottles in the rucksack, that won't end well.

I wouldn't recommend a PCX, they don't have a clear step-through and its difficult to use the rear pegs to take your weight off the seat by standing when passing over the many potholes or really rough roads here. On a PCX you feel all the shunts from potholes straight up your back and the seating position is, I found, not good posture, also unless you're Thai the ridged seat is too small and your ass sits between the seat spaces.
Scoobi, Click, both good and suspension isn't as hard as the similar Yamahas.

If you have little experience with bikes , dont go buying any geared bike ... that only increases the things you have to concentrate on.

Ive been in heavy Bkk traffic on a 150 PCX and I couldnt squeeze it between some cars , unlike when I ride the 125i Click ...Im 95kgs and its a very nimble and manouverable scoot that will serve you well and carry your 100kgs easily.

BUT , like others above , I have reservations about you learning in Bkk traffic.

Make sure you have the scoot , and PRACTISE every day for a couple of weeks before starting commuting on it , for your own safety reasons.

Good luck...

Using a car for 20K rides around Bangkok?? OK if you have plenty of time and don't mind waiting while the police amuse themselves in their little boxes controlling the traffic lights.

I think the OP would be better using public transport rather than a motorbike in Bangkok. It would be much safer.

Do not fall for the "PCX is too wide for squeezing between cars argument. Widest part of a bike is the end of the handlebars. My BIL has a Honda Wave and the bars are wider than the PCX bars. I own one and would not consider any other for city riding. 4 years - no issues. Put YSS shocks on from new, great improvement. But they are aprox 80K, you can buy a cheaper bike, but you will be hard pressed to buy something better.

I am considering buying a motorbike for the daily commute to work of about 20km round trip in Bangkok, the top speed of the road would be about 80km/hr but most of it being around 40km/hr with traffic. I know very little about motorbikes but from the research I have been doing it looks as though the PCX150 would be the most suitable but I also wonder if the click would be good enough. I am around 100kg in weight.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on my ideas or other possible motorbikes please do let me know.

First of all, PCX is not a motorbike, it's a scooter and can't be called a motorcycle.

Scooter are not much fun to ride as motorbikes.. but it's ok for short distances.

You can also get the prince of scooters : a classic Vespa, it will always looks good !

Anyway the Honda click will manage good with your weight, my fat cousin have one, she weights maybe 140kg easy ^^ But she likes very much to drive my MSX125 as it is much more fun than her scooter.

Edited by Zendo

Compare and contrast Honda PCX 150 and Yamaha NMAX 155. The tires have more road grip with the Yamaha and is 35 pounds heavier with great acceleration and easy cruising. Great in windy conditions. I finally went with the Yamaha!

50,000 new for Click

80000 new for PCX and NMAX

i see the usual forum doomsayers are up early again.

dont ride a motorcycle.... you'll die

dont drive a car...... you'll die

dont take a bus....... you'll die

dont drink alcohol..... you'll die

dont bang bar girls.... you'll die

and girls with no front bottom... die for sure

dont fly here on a plane.. you'll die

dont read TV too often... you'll die.... of boredom.

Good luck...

What are you talking about?Driving car is much more dangerous in Thailand for "farang" than drive bike!!!

If you have no experience riding a motorbike this is not the country to learn. I had a small accident in the rain and damaged my leg....two surgeries, three months, and 400,000 baht later I was fixed. I could have bought a nice used car for that amount.

Well said Nigel, sorry about your accident hope you have fully recovered.

Thank you for your safety concerns. I have at a few hundred hours worth of riding experience over the last 10 years here and I am fully aware of the risks. I also have a lot of experience cycling and driving in Bangkok. My primary reason for considering a motorbike/scooter is to beat the traffic.

Well said Nigel, sorry about your accident hope you have fully recovered.

You can learn if you are smart about it. I had no experience and I got my friend to teach me late at night on very quiet streets to start, from there I moved on to driving on my own later at night when traffic was light and avoided

major traffic areas... then took baby steps from there. Not saying it isnt dangerous in Thailand as it obviously is and my first time on the highway and very busy areas my heart was pounding.

If you just plan to jump on a bike after a 5 minute lesson and jump into the thick of things in normal day to day traffic then yeah, a very good chance to kill/injure yourself or others.

Rule number one in Thailand to keep in mind is do not expect anyone else on the road to follow any rules you might be used too, expect everyone to drive dangerous at all times. :)

That being said, the only thing I would suggest is a narrow body bike. The PCX is cute and all but it is definitely larger and will not fit in all the gaps a smaller bike can fit in. I love my Honda Wave 125i, it has .

You are getting a lot of good advice. I would second this bit about the PCX. A major positive about bikes is their ability to lane split. Once you get good at it, it can save you hours, keep you cooler, and studies say it is safer. You will be very happy.

But the PCX is too wide and big, it looks to me, for lane splitting.

I bought a Vespa. Super practical (ex.good storage under seat) and powerful. I think they last a long time, but so does any scooter. But! the Vespa is Expensive. I think I would get some of that money back if I ever sell. But still.

Be careful! If you don't know what counter steering is, you need to learn.

Buy a PCX, its fine fun and an easy ride, don't worry about the lack of experience, just practice (best do sunday morning first and get use to it). If you feel comfortable going in between cars (lane splitting) then ok, if not then dont worry, not everyone does.

If you buy a bike and wish to ride in BKK, just protect yourself. Helmet, buy a good one, spend more on this than you want to spend. DOT approved and full face. Gloves another must, road rash on your hands is bloody horrible. Always wear closed toe shoes, that's the basics.

if you want, buy a padded safety jacket, can get a good one below 3k. Padded trousers with knee protection are not essential, but if and when you do come off, you might change your mind on them. You can buy all this at the paddock on Ratchada near Huaw Kwan MRT.

Watch as much on YouTube as you can, I recommend "Twist of the wrist", you are not going to be doing superbike cornering, so only watch the first 30 or so mins.

other than that enjoy, it really isn't as bad as these idiots are making out, take it easy and relax on your bike. Remember, THE CAR DRIVER IS BLIND AND HAS NOT SEEN YOU, SO ACT THAT WAY!

Yes you need a separate license . Not difficult. Just take the tests. Allow one full day or one morning and one afternoon.

There is no reason not to consider a Click 125i. It has the same engine as the old PCX 125. It is a bit lighter than a PCX and not so stable in corners at "high" speed but that won't make much difference as you are commuting at relatively low speed. As you are commuting you will get to know where the idiots do what they do and therefore be aware of the dangers. I am not sure about the Click but the new PCX has a battery monitor that shuts of the Idle-Stop if the battery is low. Again as you are commuting you will know where the long stops are if any and act accordingly and shut of the engine at 200 second lights! Idle-Stop should be left OFF in my opinion.

As has been said if money is not an issue the NMax does have dual ABS but I have not tried it on the very slick roads one gets after the dry season. There is a Yamaha dealer on the corner of Sukhunvit and Bang Na. If they can't speak English and you want to buy they will find someone!

The best customer service I have experienced at Honda is on Soi 71 about soi 10. It is a very busy place. So following the adage "if you want something done give it to a busy man"...

If you would rather have a motorcycle with gears that is a different question. Yamaha Exciter? Suzuki Van Van? et al.

The only thing that does concern me is the reference to cycling. You may not be, but most cyclists are worst than Thai scooter riders. So if you get a scooter maybe forget everything you think you know from riding a bicycle. Stay away from the gutter on the inside! Don't stop beside a bus or truck, et al.

Owner of both and they are so different bikes. Ofc you should go for a PCX. Both are small enough to go between cars in traffic but PCX is bigger, wider grips ,bigger seat, has start/stop function etc.