Is this actually a good place to live?

qwertymerk

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much Thai have you learned? A solid command of Thai language very much changes (and enriches) your experience living there. Imagine someone coming from another country to live in yours, without a good command of the language, and what kind of perceptions/experiences they might have. Just something to think about.

there are hundreds of thousands of people living in australia who do not speak more than 300 words of english. italians, macedonians, serbians... you name it. never stood in their way to make big money from hard work, enjoy life with compatriots and others, build grand homes, travel, party, have children.

command of language is totally over - rated. all it does is open you up to the bickering of jet another culture. expose you to petty problems, discussions of nothingness.

lingual ignorance is a shield. it is like an artificial deafness. it lets you enjoy your own thoughts without having unwanted input taint them.

they who need to converse are truly lonely. (manfred tillmann, 2016)

Pretty negative and cynical attitude toward humans you have there. Oh well, enjoy your little self-made bubble of misery--or, more to the point, don't enjoy it; that seems to be what you, and many other self-styled grumpy farangs in Thailand, are after.

Edited by Saastrajaa

Depends on your attitude.

I don't live in a PLACE, therefore I am not tied to a PLACE.

I have lived and worked allover the world since I was 18 years old....52 years ago.

For me Thailand is just another place I happen to be living now

No difference.

Thailand is only ideal for a holiday, or for older people who wish to relax whilst they enjoy their retirement.

100% correct.

I've lived in LOS on and off for years, but enjoy it less living there than when I visited on holiday.

To really enjoy retirement would take much more money than I have. I'd love to live on the beach, but can't afford that.

Hmm, maybe YOU should answer my language question as well! smile.png

I speak bar Thai, which is enough for my lifestyle. I don't work in LOS or have a great deal of interaction with Thais that don't speak English, nor do I want to.

But you're not living here.

I agree with the sentiment, if living in a country at least try to speak the language. That is one of the things we all expect foreigners in our home countries to do, and one of the things we don't like about foreigners in our home countries if they don't.

I do live in LOS, most of the time and have done so for many years.

Personally I have better things to worry about than if the foreigner I meet speaks English, as long as he can make himself understood.

Do you not understand what "I speak bar Thai" means?

How much Thai have you learned? A solid command of Thai language very much changes (and enriches) your experience living there. Imagine someone coming from another country to live in yours, without a good command of the language, and what kind of perceptions/experiences they might have. Just something to think about.

there are hundreds of thousands of people living in australia who do not speak more than 300 words of english. italians, macedonians, serbians... you name it. never stood in their way to make big money from hard work, enjoy life with compatriots and others, build grand homes, travel, party, have children.

command of language is totally over - rated. all it does is open you up to the bickering of jet another culture. expose you to petty problems, discussions of nothingness.

lingual ignorance is a shield. it is like an artificial deafness. it lets you enjoy your own thoughts without having unwanted input taint them.

they who need to converse are truly lonely. (manfred tillmann, 2016)

Pretty negative and cynical attitude toward humans you have there. Oh well, enjoy your little self-made bubble of misery--or, more to the point, don't enjoy it; that seems to be what you, and many other self-styled grumpy farangs in Thailand, are after.

Have you ever spoken to a "grumpy" farang to find out why he is grumpy? From your attitude I doubt it.

For myself, I'm a grumpy old man, but less so than in the country I hail from.

Unless you have unique skills your chances of prospering in Thailand are minimal. Granted that you can live on 30,000 or so a month teaching English but what happens when fate steps in.You get sick or your GF gets pregnant. Go home, get a job make some money, and then come back. Underfunded farangs are a dime a dozen

Teaching can be a very lucrative career in Thailand if you get serious about it. And by that I mean properly certified with a Master's degree and experience in the west. Salaries of 100K or more at good international schools. Remember, it's not how much you make, but how much you can save. Something to think about though is it's largely a young person's profession here and you might find you are less desirable to employers as you get past 40. You could always move into management or a related field like proofreading, editing, etc. too.

No, I've never worked in academia. I'm not sure what might have given you that impression.

Are we only allowed to discuss things we have direct experience of? I didn't realise that was one of the forum rules.

I only just came on and haven't read the back posts, but if one is talking about the sex industry in LOS without any actual experience of it, it would be like discussing nuclear physics without any understanding of it.

No, I've never worked in academia. I'm not sure what might have given you that impression.

Are we only allowed to discuss things we have direct experience of? I didn't realise that was one of the forum rules.

I only just came on and haven't read the back posts, but if one is talking about the sex industry in LOS without any actual experience of it, it would be like discussing nuclear physics without any understanding of it.

Paying for sex is hardly rocket science.

When you take into account the considerable levels of self-delusion that those involved often seem to exhibit, I think an outsider's perspective is actually likely to be more realistic in some respects.

I think we've wandered some way from the point here, though.

I lived in Thailand for nine years. Got sick of it, whinged, whined, bitched and moaned. Moved to Mexico. After six weeks of Mexico, I couldn't get my happy @ss back to Thailand fast enough with a renewed appreciation.

Yes, LOS is unique in the world.

Enjoy it while you can, as they are busily trying to make it just as stuffed up and horrible as the western countries we gladly left behind, eg, how many posters complain that the laws aren't enforced in LOS- gad, if you want enforced laws, go home. If you want sanuk, live in LOS, but don't complain about what makes LOS sanuk.

OP, it all depends wat you want to do with your life.

There are opportunities for a full and fullfilling life in Thailand, but far fewer oportunities and far more restrictions and risks than in the UK (and the access the UK currently gives you to the rest of Europe).

Just as there are opportunities for a good life in Thailand there are expats living that good life, but as you rightly point out the needs of a young man are very different from those of older men.

Two observations not to miss:

The vast majority of expats living in Thailand do so by means of wealth they built up in their home countries. There are expats who have made money in Thailand, I've done so myself, but its a small pond of opportunity with a lot of fish.

The horror stories you are reading are not the main risk. The biggest risk to expats in Thailand is probably social isolation and alcoholism.

You are a young man asking the right questions - what ever you choose live a full life.

OP, this is a very sensible post. I'd listen to this guy.

I've lived here five years and find the lack of connection with locals- on a personal and intimate level- to be the most frustrating aspect of life in the LOS. You're a bit younger than me and might find younger Thais to be a little more openminded. But the Thais' inability to be straightforward can make it very difficult for westerners to relate to or trust locals.

There are a handful of minor annoyances that may or may not turn you off, and might not be as unique to Thailand as they seem. But isolation is the big one. Thais have a unique way of thinking compared to most other nations. If you're not sure what that means, just take a trip to Laos or Cambodia and see if it seems like the people are speaking to you in a different, more genuine manner.

When you take into account the considerable levels of self-delusion that those involved often seem to exhibit, I think an outsider's perspective is actually likely to be more realistic in some respects.

Egad, you just demonstrated that you don't know what the scene is about. Paying for sex in LOS is illegal.

It's about soooooo much more than commercial sex, but if you've never partaken, how could you know?

Anyway, back to the OP.

Yes, LOS is a great place to live. It's usually hot, it's cheap, unless you want to live a western life style, the locals leave you alone if you want and the men don't mind if you go out with the women. Plus, there are some nice beaches and you can actually stay on the sand if you want to.

Just don't expect living in LOS to be the same as when on holiday.

All depends on your personality. Some weak minded people are doomed the day they set foot here.. as there is too much freedom for them... to destroy their own lives with alcohol, antisocial behaviour, failed relationships and financial problems etc. People do things here that would be socially unexceptable in their own countries... so they would not get themselves such a mess back home.

BUT, you can integrate with Thais if you put in the time. You have to learn the language to at least a basic extent. My closets friends here are all Thai, and I have found them 100 percent trustworthy over the years, unlike some of the farangs.

I have been here 10 years. I came here when I was 31... so kind of young.

People want different things from life. If you want a simple life with a lot of freedom, which is not materialistic ,then you can get it here.

Avoid the main traps leading to unhappiness... don't frequent the bars too often... or you will end up there every day of the year and have an alcohol problem.

Don't go against the flow of the culture and try to fight it or impose your farang culture and ideas on Thai people.

If you want a relationship then look to Thai women who have 'normal' jobs rather than working in a bar, for better likelihood of long term happiness.

Don't throw whatever money you have about buying things for your partner or their family.. or they will expect that the rest of your life... not a Thai thing, a human nature thing. People from Europe generally would not buy their new GF of a few months a new house and car etc.

Stay away from bitter ex pats who will make you really depressed and twist you thinking against Thailand and Thai people.

Some people say the heat is not good for us, but some people love the heat, and your body will get used to It after a few years.

You need a job or hobby, interests too. Like you would in any country. Otherwise you will waste you time and get into an unhealthy lifestyle with will damage you physical and mental health.

Go live in a real Thai area.. don't live in a Tourist area. Then you will see what the average Thai person is like. You will see they won't be trying to rip you off, or treat you like a tourist with money to brun. You will also get to eat real Thai food and see their real culture.. not one manufactured to our tastes.

Finally, don't isolate yourself from Thai society. Trying to live in your own little expat world will bring disaster.

All depends on your personality. Some weak minded people are doomed the day they set foot here.. as there is too much freedom for them... to destroy their own lives with alcohol, antisocial behaviour, failed relationships and financial problems etc. People do things here that would be socially unexceptable in their own countries... so they would not get themselves such a mess back home.

BUT, you can integrate with Thais if you put in the time. You have to learn the language to at least a basic extent. My closets friends here are all Thai, and I have found them 100 percent trustworthy over the years, unlike some of the farangs.

I have been here 10 years. I came here when I was 31... so kind of young.

People want different things from life. If you want a simple life with a lot of freedom, which is not materialistic ,then you can get it here.

Avoid the main traps leading to unhappiness... don't frequent the bars too often... or you will end up there every day of the year and have an alcohol problem.

Don't go against the flow of the culture and try to fight it or impose your farang culture and ideas on Thai people.

If you want a relationship then look to Thai women who have 'normal' jobs rather than working in a bar, for better likelihood of long term happiness.

Don't throw whatever money you have about buying things for your partner or their family.. or they will expect that the rest of your life... not a Thai thing, a human nature thing. People from Europe generally would not buy their new GF of a few months a new house and car etc.

Stay away from bitter ex pats who will make you really depressed and twist you thinking against Thailand and Thai people.

Some people say the heat is not good for us, but some people love the heat, and your body will get used to It after a few years.

You need a job or hobby, interests too. Like you would in any country. Otherwise you will waste you time and get into an unhealthy lifestyle with will damage you physical and mental health.

Go live in a real Thai area.. don't live in a Tourist area. Then you will see what the average Thai person is like. You will see they won't be trying to rip you off, or treat you like a tourist with money to brun. You will also get to eat real Thai food and see their real culture.. not one manufactured to our tastes.

Finally, don't isolate yourself from Thai society. Trying to live in your own little expat world will bring disaster.

Reading your post I realise just how different people can be and still live in LOS.

To live a life of "freedom" in LOS requires a lot of money, else one ends up living in a grotty one room apartment in a cheap area eating fried rice every day.

My only Thai friend is my wife- that's fine with me. I have no desire to "integrate" or be like Thais. I'm absolutely fine living in my own little world, but it's a one expat world- no other farangs around where I live.

I visited bars a LOT before getting married, but I only drank Coke or OJ. Frequenting bars does not in itself make one an alcoholic.

I met many, many really nice women working in bars.

Tourist areas are touristy, BECAUSE they are nice. If you want to live in a boring village with sod all to do, that's fine if you like paddy fields, gardening and monks chanting at 5 am, but I'd rather live on a nice beach with some nightlife ( not a lot, just some ).

Not everyone likes Thai food- I find it far too spicy, plus my wife eats the real thing and no way most westerners would eat that stuff.

I LOVE the heat. Hasn't killed me yet, though I have yet to "get used to it" despite living in LOS for many years.

Agree 100%. In fact learning about Thai culture is, IMO, far, far more important than learning to speak Thai.

I'm just wondering if there's a topic on Thai Visa which IS rocket science to you. What's the word I'm looking for? Ah yes - know-it-all. An Aussie expression which suits you admirably.

Edited by bazza40

Reading your post I realise just how different people can be and still live in LOS.

To live a life of "freedom" in LOS requires a lot of money, else one ends up living in a grotty one room apartment in a cheap area eating fried rice every day.

​Some people like fried rice... and there are plenty of other foods just as cheap as fried rice. Not everyone wants to live in a huge expensive mansion in high society area. There are many nice cheap small condos or houses to rent... and the more you get out of the city the cheaper they are. I rented a nice 3 bedroom house with air con and a huge garden full of fruit trees and chickens for only 3000 baht a month. It was in a nice village with a few local bars and shops and a huge Saturday market. Also close to a main road to get into the city when needed.

My only Thai friend is my wife- that's fine with me. I have no desire to "integrate" or be like Thais. I'm absolutely fine living in my own little world, but it's a one expat world- no other farangs around where I live.

You don't have any friends apart from you Thai wife? You don't integrate into the community at all... what do you do just sit in you expensive big house watching TV?

I visited bars a LOT before getting married, but I only drank Coke or OJ. Frequenting bars does not in itself make one an alcoholic.

You are very much in the minority.. most people do not only drink OJ or Coke when they go for a night out in bars. There are nice women in Thai bars, some very kind and funny, and sexy. But there are also a large percentage of messed up in the head ones who will rip off simple minded farangs.

Tourist areas are touristy, BECAUSE they are nice. If you want to live in a boring village with sod all to do, that's fine if you like paddy fields, gardening and monks chanting at 5 am, but I'd rather live on a nice beach with some nightlife ( not a lot, just some ).

I can't agree that all the tourist areas are the nicest areas in Thailand. I love my 'boring' village. Its beautiful.. at the foot of the Mountains in rural Chiang Mai. Lovely natural surroundings, a huge lake to swim in, lots of small restaurants, bars and family run shops. Lots of wildlife and village parties and festivals at the temples. Great for cycling and walking too.

Not everyone likes Thai food- I find it far too spicy, plus my wife eats the real thing and no way most westerners would eat that stuff.

Thai food is famous the world over for its amazing flavours and there are expensive Thai restaurants in all the big cities in the West. Once you start eating the food you want it more and more spicy! Most westerners love Thai food... well the ones that live here for a few years. I eat 80 percent Thai food now... and have not eaten bread or baked beans for years!

I LOVE the heat. Hasn't killed me yet, though I have yet to "get used to it" despite living in LOS for many years.

Agree 100%. In fact learning about Thai culture is, IMO, far, far more important than learning to speak Thai.

Edited by jak2002003

I know many people came to UK with out language.. But can get job/ good service/ easy open and run business LEGAL FULL OWNER!!!

Buy any property/land...

All this is i CANT image in Thailand and " good comand of the language" didnt help!!rolleyes.gif

Edited by ardokano

Thai food is famous the world over for its amazing flavours and there are expensive Thai restaurants in all the big cities in the West. Once you start eating the food you want it more and more spicy! Most westerners love Thai food... well the ones that live here for a few years. I eat 80 percent Thai food now... and have not eaten bread or baked beans for years!

1. "expensive Thai restaurants in all the big cities in the West." not cooking from the made in Thai meat and another even sea food( Thai seafood sure not best in World)

2."expensive Thai restaurants in all the big cities in the West." not cooked in dirty dishes. And in unsanitary conditions as in allmast all place in Thailand.

3.From the Chef is also very much depends on how and from ingredients

yes I like some Thai food but it NOT every day, even not evry week..

And in Thailand not even 10% of the restaurants is the same great food, as i had even in middle price restaraunt HK.. and almast 10% where I get great Thai food price be near price middle price restaraunt HK.rolleyes.gif

If you can make or already have enough money to live here comfortably and legally then Thailand is fine. If you have to worry about making a living or visas I highly suggest going back to your own country.

enough money to live here comfortably and legally then Thailand is fine.blink.png

now much billion need for clean street that there was no stinking dirty stains from street food etc? From the debris on paths and roadsides?rolleyes.gif

Some think cant buy ..

And in Thailand quality life double cost... I am not talking about any lux thinks..

rolleyes.gif

Edited by ardokano

I lived in Thailand for nine years. Got sick of it, whinged, whined, bitched and moaned. Moved to Mexico. After six weeks of Mexico, I couldn't get my happy @ss back to Thailand fast enough with a renewed appreciation.

Sorry if it's a bit off topic but this is really interesting, could you elaborate why you didn't like Mexico versus Thailand? There's actually a few people I met who were thinking about leaving Asia and going to Mexico,

including myself (I've never been there, only in Peru). I had a friend who got sick of Cambodia and moved to Mexico, did not hear from him since. Mexico seems to be coming up a lot these days as an alternative to SEA.

I tried Zihuatanejo. NOTHING TO DO THERE!!! If all you want to do is eat, sleep, and pay exorbitant electric bills in overpriced rentals, then it's for you. The crocodiles don't come out TOO often, so swimming was out for me. I am an avid bicyclist, and the traffic is WORSE than Thailand. I only saw one attractive girl the entire time I was there (diabetes runs rampant) and the entertainment SUCKED! 80% retired Canadian couples - what a party town, eh? No available internet lines, you have to find someone who wants to move out and sell you theirs. The petty thievery is annoying, like mosquitoes on steroids. I grew to detest that place and could NEVER recommend it, even to my worst enemy. Again, nice place to spend a week or less provided you don't want to do anything but eat and sleep.

I lived there for work for a while and enjoyed it but I was glad to go back to the U.S. I did meet my wife there which has been a blessing. We occasionally return for a visit but neither of us would ever want to live there again. It is still a third world country with a very narrow and skewed view of the world and outside of some beautiful places to visit and great food I wouldn't ever consider Thailand as a permanent or long term situation. I suspect a lot of westerners living like that its possible to live there cheaply but if that isn't your main motivation life in the west is far better IMHO.

After reading the entire thread and contributing, I have a few more comments. I did try to learn the Thai language and even had a professional Thai tutor. I learned the alphabet and even Thai numbers. I failed to become even partially fluent. My ears just cannot grasp the very important tones. Having lived here full time for 20 years, I'm not convinced that speaking the language is that important.

I was fortunate to have a profession that enabled me to work nearly anywhere in the world. I originally came here in 1991. I worked from then until the Thai economy went bust. The pay was quite good, but no pension. I went back to the US and worked there for five years at an even higher paying job. That topped up my Social Security and also my savings. I knew that I would retire in Thailand and five years gave my plenty of time for planning.

I never intended to immerse myself into Thai culture. I do have a good Thai wife who has put up with this crotchety old fart for more than 10 years. I do enjoy my own company. That's a good thing because I married a farm girl. Besides farming, she also works a part time job. She is always on the go. Living in a small village in the boonies suits me and I am content. I have a lot of toys to play with and can afford nearly any new toy that I want. I could have stayed in Thailand through the economic bust and I did want to, but decided that my retirement years may suffer from lack of money. I liked my job in Kalifornia but hated the state and the Los Angeles area. I was able to stick it out for five years and work until I was able to retire at age 60.

Money may not buy happiness but it would be miserable without any money. I'm not wealthy by any means but I have a healthy surplus and am able to live as I choose. The Thai people here treat me well and accept that I prefer to be left alone. I do have to say that if for any reason that my wife gets tired of me, I could pack my bags and be back to the expat ghetto in Jomtien within a couple of days. I still have a nice condo there that is in my name. I would miss my workshop, farm ponds, toys and animals but she could have everything here. I wouldn't miss any meals and would have a roof over my head.

When you are young and bullet proof it's difficult to remember that you too will get old. There is a huge danger from living the good life and making enough money to have a good enjoyable life style. Planning for your old age should be an important part of your plan, if you have a plan.

​Some people like fried rice... and there are plenty of other foods just as cheap as fried rice. Not everyone wants to live in a huge expensive mansion in high society area. There are many nice cheap small condos or houses to rent... and the more you get out of the city the cheaper they are. I rented a nice 3 bedroom house with air con and a huge garden full of fruit trees and chickens for only 3000 baht a month. It was in a nice village with a few local bars and shops and a huge Saturday market. Also close to a main road to get into the city when needed.

You don't have any friends apart from you Thai wife? You don't integrate into the community at all... what do you do just sit in you expensive big house watching TV?

You are very much in the minority.. most people do not only drink OJ or Coke when they go for a night out in bars. There are nice women in Thai bars, some very kind and funny, and sexy. But there are also a large percentage of messed up in the head ones who will rip off simple minded farangs.

I can't agree that all the tourist areas are the nicest areas in Thailand. I love my 'boring' village. Its beautiful.. at the foot of the Mountains in rural Chiang Mai. Lovely natural surroundings, a huge lake to swim in, lots of small restaurants, bars and family run shops. Lots of wildlife and village parties and festivals at the temples. Great for cycling and walking too.

Some people like fried rice

I love fried rice, but not every day of my life.

I rented a nice 3 bedroom house with air con and a huge garden full of fruit trees and chickens for only 3000 baht a month.

Luxury

It was in a nice village with a few local bars and shops and a huge Saturday market.

Boring. Been there done that. Won't do it again.

However, if that's what you like, good for you. Only thing I enjoyed about the village was eating at a nearby restaurant with a wonderful vista of the rice paddies and the mountains behind, especially at dusk as the sun set behind the hills. Unfortunately I need more than scenery to be happy.

You don't integrate into the community at all...

Isn't that what I wrote?

what do you do just sit in you expensive big house watching TV?

LOL. Mainly a lot of DIY, gardening etc etc,

and I watch a bit of tv as well, usually when the mossies come out to play.

Thai food is famous the world over

LOL. Football is famous the world over, but it doesn't mean I have to watch it.

I prefer Chinese or Malay/ Indonesian.

I lived there for work for a while and enjoyed it but I was glad to go back to the U.S. I did meet my wife there which has been a blessing. We occasionally return for a visit but neither of us would ever want to live there again. It is still a third world country with a very narrow and skewed view of the world and outside of some beautiful places to visit and great food I wouldn't ever consider Thailand as a permanent or long term situation. I suspect a lot of westerners living like that its possible to live there cheaply but if that isn't your main motivation life in the west is far better IMHO.

Don't know how the US stacks up in the eye candy department, but LOS has waaaaaaaay more DDG totty in evidence on any given day than my place of origin. While not the only factor in wanting to live there, it sure makes it nice to do so.

Yes, LOS is cheap if one lives like a Thai, but if one wants a western life style it's probably as expensive as back 'ome.

Whether Thailand is a good place to live really depends on what you are doing there. When the honeymoon phase is over it's all about

how you spend your life, i.e. work, family, etc.

In general Thailand is not a good place to live for Westerners. There are many problems with it that even the smartest long term expats can never get beyond.

Some of these include the terrible heat, the fact that the country is hugely corrupt, and does not allow foreigners to have the

same economic rights as locals (i.e. ownership, etc.), the fact that it's practically impossible to ever become a citizen,

the fact that Thais (unlike filipinos) don't really want foreigners to integrate with them,

the more often than not thai-farang romantic relationships going sour, often with the

farang taking massive losses,

the increasing hostility towards foreigners over the past decade or so,

the completely different culture which Westerners fail to understand

and so on...

if you can figure out a way to live in you own little world where these things don't affect you, then it could be okay.

Bullshit

It's a great place for foreigners to live but only those with a flexible attitude

People complaining about not having the ability to buy land are just pissed they can't leapfrog the locals and take advantage of rising prices. Saps who failed to get a piece of the Western real estate boom just want a headstart on the poor, economically-ignorant locals. The standard argument is that Thais can buy land in the West easily but that's being disingenuous. Markets in the West are developed. How many Thais can even afford to travel to the UK or Europe let alone buy up swathes of land?

Personaly, I hope the Thais NEVER change that law. If you want to buy land, there's plenty for sale in the West

It really is as simple as that

I don't think the majority of Thais give a f*** whether Westerners integrate or not. Most of us - myself included - can barely string together a sentence in Thai but it doesn't inordinately affect our lives here.

Relationships go sour because loser farangs who found it hard to get their penises wet in the West come here and become addicted to the easy lay focusing almost entirely on the pool of women immediately and most obviously available to them

They take losses because they're morons who think with their genitalia, not because these women are undiscovered masters of strategy

There is no "increasing hostility" towards foreigners - incidents are just reported more. I accept that there could be more awareness among Thais about just how many foreigners come here and disrespect the country, the culture and the women but that doesn't automatically translate into more attacks

Edited by Agent Sumo