Trump agrees to debate Sanders but sets stiff price

webfact

Trump agrees to debate Sanders but sets stiff price
LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press
DAVID BAUDER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump has provisionally accepted Bernie Sanders' proposal to debate, but the billionaire is setting a high price for participating. His condition: The hosting TV network would have to put up millions of dollars for charity.

Representatives for Fox News, ABC News and CBS News say the networks are interested in hosting such a showdown but would not comment on whether they'd be willing to put up the $10 million Trump is demanding for women's health causes. "We're always interested in more opportunities to hear from the candidates," said ABC spokeswoman Julie Townsend.

Trump said Thursday a host network would make millions from sky-high ratings and should agree to turn over at least $10 million to women's health causes.

Overlooking the impediment of Trump's price tag on his acceptance, Sanders tweeted that he was delighted that Trump accepted, adding: "Let's do it in the biggest stadium possible."

Trump and Sanders see potential benefits for pursuing a prime-time event that would be unprecedented, pitting the presumptive Republican nominee against the clear Democratic underdog — and excluding likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

But it's far from clear any such showdown will happen. In September, Trump proposed that CNN donate profits from the second GOP debate to charity. CNN never responded to the request, and the idea was dropped.

Clinton told reporters Thursday that she understood the proposal for a Sanders-Trump debate was "a joke" and she's looking forward to debating Trump in the general election campaign. Sanders spokesman Michael Briggs said the idea was no joke. "We're serious and hope Mr. Trump is, too," Briggs said.

He said Clinton declined to join Sanders in another Democratic debate.

Appearing on ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live," Sanders said of Clinton's refusal to debate in California: "I think it's kind of insulting to the people of the largest state in the United States of America." He said he is genuinely interested in a faceoff with Trump, saying the pair sees the world in vastly different ways, adding that "the goal would be to have it in some big stadium."

Leaving out Clinton could have the effect of belittling her, despite her commanding position on the verge of the Democratic nomination, and could give both men free shots at her decades in public service as part of the establishment they both deride.

For the publicity-loving Trump, such an event would allow him to make a pitch for Sanders supporters who are watching, along the lines of the populism that both men profess. Lately, Trump has been saying that Sanders is right on some issues, although they are fundamentally far apart on many.

For Sanders, appearing onstage with fellow native New Yorker Donald Trump would draw attention beyond his larger-than-expected base of young supporters.

Kelly McBride, a journalistic ethics expert and vice president at the Poynter Institute, said the idea of a charitable donation as a requirement "creates the perception of a conflict of interest but I don't think it creates a real conflict of interest." She said networks already compromise themselves by negotiating with campaigns over the moderators and formats for debates.

The back and forth came the same day an Associated Press count of GOP delegates found that Trump has enough support to exceed the 1,237 delegates required to win the GOP nomination. Sanders, in contrast, is far behind Clinton, who is 75 delegates short of the 2,383 needed to win the Democratic nomination. Clinton has commitments of support from 2,308 delegates to Sanders' 1,539.

___

Bauder reported from New York. Associated Press writers Ken Thomas and Hope Yen contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-27

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bad call by Trump and his advisers. I smell an ambush. Sanders will be lucky to get the democrat nod the way it stands. So why would Trump risk it ? I know he like shooting from the hip but this is just plain "not cool" if he wants to win.

This may well be a bit of good old fashion political gang warfare from the democrats. Bernie is probably planning to use the debate to flame Trump more so than to raise his own prospects of a shot in the Oval Office. Trump should be holding out on any debate until the democrat nomination is set in stone. Proceed with extreme caution my friend.

This is a bad call by Trump and his advisers. I smell an ambush. Sanders will be lucky to get the democrat nod the way it stands. So why would Trump risk it ? I know he like shooting from the hip but this is just plain "not cool" if he wants to win.

This may well be a bit of good old fashion political gang warfare from the democrats. Bernie is probably planning to use the debate to flame Trump more so than to raise his own prospects of a shot in the Oval Office. Trump should be holding out on any debate until the democrat nomination is set in stone. Proceed with extreme caution my friend.

Friend?

Trump only has one friend.

His friend is named Trump.

Don't be his fool, you can't be his friend.

I would be a great show, but not much of a debate.

Bernie is not a Republican like Trump is used to dealing with in debates in their " debates.".

This will not be a reality show playing on the emotions of the politically uninformed.

Bernie knows the real issues.

Trump would need to do the homework he hasn't done yet.

He need to learn about the real issues facing the country.

This is not a reality show for Bernie..it is real life.

Bring it on!

I'm betting Trump will find a way to weasel out of showing up.

I don't think it would hurt Trump or Bernie. A large percentage of all people watching these debates react to "gotcha" comments and "zingers". The media then reinforces that over and over.

Clinton will be the only loser if it happened. For that reason alone, I say bring it on.

This is a brilliant move by Trump. Any vote for Bernie is now basically a vote for Trump assuming the nomination goes to Hillary. It marginalizes Hillary and he can get Bernie on the attack with him. Bernie can't really say anything about Trump people don't know already. It also could be said that Hillary was afraid to do a debate with Bernie in the first place.

Trump may not win out of this but can't really lose. The $10 million donation to women's causes is hilarious. Trump can boast he is the only candidate to have raised so much for women. Also he is right that any network would make tons of money and would be dying to host this.

If Trump can win anybody over in this so be it, but any vote not going to Hillary (any vote Bernie gets) is a boost for Trump. If it doesn't happen Donald can call out the media for being greedy and say he was looking forward to the debate even if he wasn't. This is a win for both Bernie and Trump and a slap to the face of HRC.

If Bernie wilts under pressure like he did with the two Black Lives Matter ladies that took over his campaign stop, it might not look too good for him.

He didn't wilt...what did you expect him to do? Throw a punch?

If Bernie wilts under pressure like he did with the two Black Lives Matter ladies that took over his campaign stop, it might not look too good for him.

He didn't wilt...what did you expect him to do? Throw a punch?

He had a security team and a microphone. He lost his security advantage when he handed his microphone over to them and got lost in the background.

Surrendering to anarchy is never the solution.

This is a brilliant move by Trump. Any vote for Bernie is now basically a vote for Trump assuming the nomination goes to Hillary. It marginalizes Hillary and he can get Bernie on the attack with him. Bernie can't really say anything about Trump people don't know already. It also could be said that Hillary was afraid to do a debate with Bernie in the first place.

Trump may not win out of this but can't really lose. The $10 million donation to women's causes is hilarious. Trump can boast he is the only candidate to have raised so much for women. Also he is right that any network would make tons of money and would be dying to host this.

If Trump can win anybody over in this so be it, but any vote not going to Hillary (any vote Bernie gets) is a boost for Trump. If it doesn't happen Donald can call out the media for being greedy and say he was looking forward to the debate even if he wasn't. This is a win for both Bernie and Trump and a slap to the face of HRC.

Bernie can't say anything about Trump that people don't already know, but there is A LOT about Bernie that most people don't know.

You're right about the $10 million donation part...brilliant move.

I believe in the early years of the US the Vice Presidency was awarded to the guy who came in 2nd place. It wasn't a President-VP team on the ticket. The VP was basically the opposition.

Now, think about this,...it will never happen but it would a game changer for the country like none other before it... Trump asks Bernie to be his VP. Whoa.

I still think the GOP is playing possum with the acceptance of DT as the nominee. There will be a July Surprise in Cleveland.

Either that or a tragic plane crash. Thoughts & prayers etc.

Bernie can't say anything about Trump that people don't already know, but there is A LOT about Bernie that most people don't know.

Who cares about Bernie? He lost. The only one at risk in such a debate is Hillary Clinton. The entire reason Trump may do it is to bash Hillary Clinton. I still think it won't happen. Bernie may hate Hillary Clinton, but he's got to hate the vile monster much, much more.

To wit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/05/27/donald-trump-just-made-an-extremely-important-promise-its-one-of-his-worst-yet/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Edited by Jingthing

Who cares about Bernie? He lost. The only one at risk in such a debate is Hillary Clinton. The entire reason Trump may do it is to bash Hillary Clinton. I still think it won't happen. Bernie may hate Hillary Clinton, but he's got to hate the vile monster much, much more.

To wit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/05/27/donald-trump-just-made-an-extremely-important-promise-its-one-of-his-worst-yet/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Well at least I know you are dishonest about who you put on ignore. Thanks for giving me another chance.

I can't wait to see Trump on a stage having to face serious questions.

At the moment he carefully ensures he gets the soft shoe shuffle every time.

Even Megyn Kelly folded, the wuss.

Sooner or later everyone is going to realise that Trump is just a male version of Sarah Palin.

No debate:

"Therefore, as much as I want to debate Bernie Sanders – and it would be an easy payday – I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”

http://time.com/4351261/donald-trump-bernie-sanders-debate-no/

Heh...that Crooked Hillary moniker has stuck! smile.png

You called this right, coma. Bernie will toast Trump. Bernie knows what he's talking about. Trump knows nothing. This can only end badly for Trump. He's just incapable of having a respectable debate with anyone other than the rest of the old wingnut candidates. The ones that all believe the same nonsense he does. Get rid of Obamacare, outlaw abortion, we need more war, immigrants are ruining everything, American needs to do less about climate change, rich pay too many taxes.

Oh boy! This will be fun. I'm not a Bernie fan, but he'll take care of business. Trump will be way out of his league.

I'll be surprised but elated if this happens.

Edited by Pinot

I still think the GOP is playing possum with the acceptance of DT as the nominee. There will be a July Surprise in Cleveland.

Either that or a tragic plane crash. Thoughts & prayers etc.

This is the Republican party plan? A plane crash? Oh those sneaky Republicans!

Brilliant! clap2.gif

I think there is going to be a crash alright, but not till November.

The July surprise, I can hardly wait. gigglem.gif

You called this right, coma. Bernie will toast Trump. Bernie knows what he's talking about. Trump knows nothing. This can only end badly for Trump. He's just incapable of having a respectable debate with anyone other than the rest of the old wingnut candidates. The ones that all believe the same nonsense he does. Get rid of Obamacare, outlaw abortion, we need more war, immigrants are ruining everything, American needs to do less about climate change, rich pay too many taxes.

Oh boy! This will be fun. I'm not a Bernie fan, but he'll take care of business. Trump will be way out of his league.

I'll be surprised but elated if this happens.

He's already backed down.