Hi-so dad sentenced to 5 years prison for using meth

webfact

Hi-so dad sentenced to 5 years prison for using meth
By Coconuts Bangkok

600_5_0.jpg
Kananek Patchimsawat was taken to Sutthisan police station after he was arrested at his hotel room on Feb. 12, 2015. Photo: MCOT

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court sentenced a high-profile businessman and socialite to prison this morning after he was busted with a tiny amount of crystal meth.

Real estate magnate Kananek Patchimsawat, 65, was sentenced to 5 years and 6 months in prison with a fine of THB400,000 on charges of possessing and using Category 1 drugs.

However, because he confessed, his punishment was commuted to 2 years and 9 months in jail and a fine of THB200,000. He was not given probation.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/27/hi-so-dad-sentenced-5-years-prison-using-meth

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-05-27

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is quite a tough punishment for this amount of drug, in general people get off with far less problems. I knew of a Thai guy (poor) who was out after a few months for a bit of yabaa.

But his son did something far worse and got of with less time.. go figure.

Seems a very disproportionate sentence compared to other crimes, and even other people charged with possession.

One wonders if the authorities thought they'd be in for a large payoff due to his status, but he refused to pay so they threw the book at him? dry.png

Wow! But what's the point?

2 and a bit years for using meth? Nothing, pretty much nothing, for killing 9 people in a car.

Drugs bad. Killing okay if through negligence, incompetence & laziness. Also okay of you pay the family a few baht. Who are the police to file charges if the family are willing to pay. Not as if the thought of prison would make you drive less like a <deleted>.

That is quite a tough punishment for this amount of drug, in general people get off with far less problems. I knew of a Thai guy (poor) who was out after a few months for a bit of yabaa.

Same here. My brother in law got 2 months for a few pills. He rang his Mum and adked for 50 thousand to get out and she refused.

His Dad actually complained to the authorities that he should ve had 2 years.

Strange.

Look at this hardened criminal. It's these wealthy, successful, senior citizens with families and small amounts of drugs that are the problem with this country.

I will not lock my doors tonight.

Yea, Dad and Son appear to be a great team.

Based on the Coconuts article, his son was sentenced to 2 years and 1 month for attempted murder, murder, and assault.

The father was fined 200k THB (reduced from 400k THB) and sent to 2 years and 9 months in prison (reduced from 5 years and 6 months) for possession of 0.676g of methamphetamine.

Just look at the proportions.

Based on the Coconuts article, his son was sentenced to 2 years and 1 month for attempted murder, murder, and assault.

The father was fined 200k THB (reduced from 400k THB) and sent to 2 years and 9 months in prison (reduced from 5 years and 6 months) for possession of 0.676g of methamphetamine.

Maybe the son's envelope was stuffed fuller. But sounds like both of them should have stuffed an over-sized envelope...or maybe even used a box...instead of a regular sized envelope.

So he was fined 200k THB and sent to 2 years and 9 months in prison for a victimless crime. That is not justice.

Yeah, people should be allowed to fry their tiny brains on whatever crap they want, then cause general mayhem and violence on society. We don't need laws to control supply and usage of drugs, only to prosecute the crimes people commit while under their influence. The victims of those crimes will just have to respect your right to kill, maim and destroy other people's lives.

So he was fined 200k THB and sent to 2 years and 9 months in prison for a victimless crime. That is not justice.

Yeah, people should be allowed to fry their tiny brains on whatever crap they want, then cause general mayhem and violence on society. We don't need laws to control supply and usage of drugs, only to prosecute the crimes people commit while under their influence. The victims of those crimes will just have to respect your right to kill, maim and destroy other people's lives.

But, people are allowed to fry their tiny brains on whatever alcohol they want, then cause general mayhem and violence on society. We have laws to control supply and usage of alcohol, and to prosecute the crimes people commit while under its influence. The victims of those crimes just have to respect the drunk's right to kill, maim and destroy other people's lives.

What hyperdimension (and I) wrote is that the penalty does not fit the crime. Yes, drugs (including alcohol) are bad; yes, they cause untold damage; but the war on drugs is an utter failure. It's done nothing but enrich the criminal organisations paddling the stuff. Drug use needs to be treated as a mental health issue, with proper treatment available for the users, not a criminal issue where someone like this goes to jail and gets a criminal record simply because the authorities are too stuck in their ways.

Portugal decriminalised drug use, and the results are pretty fantastic.

Edited by jamesbrock

Same here. My brother in law got 2 months for a few pills. He rang his Mum and adked for 50 thousand to get out and she refused.

His Dad actually complained to the authorities that he should ve had 2 years.

Strange.

On the night of Feb. 12, 2015, Kananek was busted with 0.676 grams of crystal meth at his room at MeStyle Place Hotel in Huai Kwang district. The policereceived a tip there was drug use on the premises and simply knocked on his door.

He tested positive for drug use.

Kananek's family has offered a land title worth THB700,000 as bail, which is currently being considered by the court.

Something very strange about this.......i think he's upset someone thru business dealings.....

he should of got bail after a short period of time......

Your use of the word Hi-So is wrong. Thais use this word to describe those who pretend to be upper-class or Elite when they are not. They are usually "nouveau riche" they are despised by most Thais.

Isn't it odd that all those usual suspects who accuse the Thai justice system of never jailing the criminal hi-so element, and who should normally be rejoicing at this verdict in order not to be hypocrites, have all changed their tune and are now condemning the sentence? And some of them are just keeping a low profile on this presumably because they can't find anything to bash in the story.

Thai justice just can't win when Thaivisa is involved.

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

Maybe the son's envelope was stuffed fuller. But sounds like both of them should have stuffed an over-sized envelope...or maybe even used a box...instead of a regular sized envelope.

How stuffed was Mr.T's envelope, or is he so fond of Dubai ?

Strangely harsh sentence for half a gram of meth, I guess this guy upset the wrong person to suffer such consequences.... Especially including the police just arriving after a "tip off"

Yeah....grassed-up!

Yup.

Done by another Thai as an act of Thai revenge.

As for the pic... 65? Time to start doing meth. rolleyes.gif

I shake my brain trying to get my head around how the Thai judicial system dishes out punishment. I understand the need for the so called war on drugs, but I don't see any rehabilitation. Without the latter there will be more inside than outside very soon.

Edited by Daryle