Health experts urge WHO to consider moving Rio Olympics

rooster59

Health experts urge WHO to consider moving Rio Olympics

MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer

LONDON (AP) — Health experts on Friday urged the World Health Organization to consider whether the Rio de Janeiro Olympics should be postponed or moved because of the Zika outbreak.

The 150 experts — including former White House science adviser Dr. Philip Rubin — issued an open letter to the U.N. health agency, calling for the games to be delayed or relocated "in the name of public health."

The letter cited recent scientific evidence that the Zika virus causes severe birth defects, most notably babies born with abnormally small heads. In adults, it can cause neurological problems, including a rare syndrome that can be fatal or result in temporary paralysis. The authors also noted that despite increased efforts to wipe out the mosquitoes that spread Zika, infections in Rio have gone up rather than down.

Several public health academics have previously warned that having hundreds of thousands of people head to the Aug. 5-21 games in Brazil will inevitably lead to the births of more brain-damaged babies and speed up the virus' global spread. Most people infected by Zika suffer only minor symptoms including fever, a rash and muscle or joint pain.

WHO declared the Zika epidemic to be a global emergency in February and in its latest assessment this week, said it "does not see an overall decline in the outbreak."

"The fire is already burning, but that is not a rationale not to do anything about the Olympics," said Amir Attaran, a professor at the University of Ottawa and one of the letter's authors. "It is not the time now to throw more gasoline onto the fire."

WHO has already advised pregnant women not to go to Rio and says other travelers should avoid poor and overcrowded parts of the city. The U.N. agency also predicted the Zika risk in August would drop since it will be the south American winter and there should be fewer mosquitoes.

Zika can also be spread via sex in some cases; WHO recommends that pregnant women abstain or practice safe sex with partners returning from Zika-affected areas.

WHO Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan said earlier this month that the U.N. health agency is increasingly worried about Zika but stopped short of recommending the Rio Olympics be moved or postponed. Chan, who is not of child-bearing age, noted that she herself would be attending the games.

Among the letter's signatories are experts from more than two dozen countries in fields including public health, bioethics and pediatrics. The letter also noted a potential conflict of interest, highlighting the decades-long collaboration between WHO and the International Olympic Committee.

The authors said the "overly close" relationship "was last affirmed in 2010 at an event where the Director-General of WHO and president of the IOC signed a memorandum of understanding, which is secret because neither has disclosed it."

They also pointed to a group that WHO established to help cities not only with health advice, but to potentially help them bid for major events including the Olympics.

"WHO cannot credibly assess the public health risks of Zika and the Olympics when it sets neutrality aside," the letter stated.

WHO did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

In an email to the AP, the IOC said it would "always consult the WHO for guidance and advice on health matters."

Concerns over Zika have prompted USA Swimming to move its pre-Olympic training camp from Puerto Rico to Atlanta and Major League Baseball also scrapped a series of games that were going to be held in San Juan.

No Olympic Games have ever been moved from their host city due to medical concerns, but in 2003, FIFA decided to switch the Women's World Cup soccer tournament from China to the United States on short notice due to the threat posed by the respiratory virus SARS.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-28

The WHO have apparently said ' no need ".

I wouldn't trust Margaret CHAN who is in charge of WHO because when Director of Medical and Health in Hong Kong she initially denied that SARS had reached the territory which was untrue but since it had originated in China she didn't want to upset the Mainland authorities so she simply accepted misleading information from the authorities there.

She was roundly criticised for her lack of action at the time but a subsequent official enquiry exonerated her and blamed ' the system '. Needless to say eyebrows were raised when she moved to the WHO.

Well I'll be Zitaed. That will really add to Brazil's woes. I am sure after the games they will be at the IMF's door looking for a handout after all this frivilous spending. Oh I forgot this is the year 2016

Edited by elgordo38

I though the IOC was in charge of the Olympics...not the WHO.

Meanwhile, team Republican is doing it's utmost on ZIKA prevention... by holding the main ZIKA funding bill ransom to pay back pesticide and trucker industry lobbies:

Congress Is Using Zika To Show How Terrible Congress Is

Lawmakers didn’t pass funding before going on vacation, but set a path to use that money as leverage to weaken clean water and trucker fatigue rules.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/congress-zika_us_57471eabe4b055bb11716c06

(edited format)

Edited by reasonablyspeaking

Senator: Obama Steals From Zika Victims To Fund UN Climate Programs

MICHAEL BASTASCH

10:41 PM 05/23/2016

The Obama administration has taken $500 million appropriated by Congress to fight the Zika virus to fund the United Nations Green Climate Fund, which gives foreign countries money for green energy projects.

“The threat to adults from Zika is relatively small, but the threat to pre-born children is very high,” Oklahoma Republican Sen. James Lankford wrote in an oped for The Daily Signal. “Our national priority rightly focuses on protecting the life of these young children in the womb, since each child has value, no matter their age or size.”

On top of this, funding the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change is against US law.

Nice attempt at obfuscation diverting attention from your team holding the DESIGNATED Zika funding hostage demanding pay-back to trucking and pesticide industry lobbies (and cuts to Obamacare).
Republicans REAL 'priorities' are in paying back industry lobbyists (while weakening water and road safety) by attaching it to the DESIGNATED Zika funding bill, thereby holding the DESIGNATED Zika funding hostage to their REAL priorities.

Nice attempt at obfuscation diverting attention from your team holding the DESIGNATED Zika funding hostage demanding pay-back to trucking and pesticide industry lobbies (and cuts to Obamacare).
Republicans REAL 'priorities' are in paying back industry lobbyists (while weakening water and road safety) by attaching it to the DESIGNATED Zika funding bill, thereby holding the DESIGNATED Zika funding hostage to their REAL priorities.

Typical left wing post. Long on opinion, short on facts.

My source says Obama took Zika funds to give to some greenies at the UN in violation of federal laws.

What does your source say about that?

My source says Obama took Zika funds to give to some greenies at the UN in violation of federal laws.

"The Hill notes that nothing in the Congressional authorization for the Economic Support Fund actually barred the money from going to the UN Green Climate Fund, although Congress did refuse to pass a separate authorization for payments to the Green Climate Fund, which disburses money from developed nations to help poorer countries cope with the effects of climate change and to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. The administration says Congresss refusal to support the Green Climate Fund made it necessary to shift money from other sources, like the Economic Support Fund, which was primarily intended for fighting infectious diseases"

Read more at http://wonkette.com/602233/republicans-love-unborn-babies-so-much-they-will-give-them-all-zika-virus-to-spite-obama#yhf8u5jOoi1pCCzT.99

TH

"The Hill notes that nothing in the Congressional authorization for the Economic Support Fund actually barred the money from going to the UN Green Climate Fund, although Congress did refuse to pass a separate authorization for payments to the Green Climate Fund, which disburses money from developed nations to help poorer countries cope with the effects of climate change and to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases. The administration says Congresss refusal to support the Green Climate Fund made it necessary to shift money from other sources, like the Economic Support Fund, which was primarily intended for fighting infectious diseases"

Read more at http://wonkette.com/602233/republicans-love-unborn-babies-so-much-they-will-give-them-all-zika-virus-to-spite-obama#yhf8u5jOoi1pCCzT.99

TH

I never claimed the Economic Support Fund made the transfer illegal. What makes it illegal is also explained in my link:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now, Republicans are pushing back. Most recently, lawmakers questioned the legality of funding the Green Climate Fund, since it’s run by a U.N. body that recognizes the “State of Palestine.” Palestine became a member of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in March even though it’s not a U.N. member.

A 1994 law prevents the Obama administration from funding UNFCCC activities since it recognizes Palestine as a state, according to Republicans. The State Department, however, has said it still plans on funding the UNFCCC’s green agenda."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion the Games should be canceled/relocated.

The WHO is a discredited organisation who have made poor judgments about SARS, EBOLA and other threats. I would not trust or believe any reassurance offered by this organisation in respect of the Zika virus which is now widespread. http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/

Young men, women and thousands of visitors/spectators should not be put at risk.

As I said on the other thread, it looks like WHO have done 180 on what they said about 3 months ago on ZIKA. Why do we need several threads on the same subject?

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

TH

I never claimed the Economic Support Fund made the transfer illegal. What makes it illegal is also explained in my link:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now, Republicans are pushing back. Most recently, lawmakers questioned the legality of funding the Green Climate Fund, since it’s run by a U.N. body that recognizes the “State of Palestine.” Palestine became a member of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in March even though it’s not a U.N. member.

A 1994 law prevents the Obama administration from funding UNFCCC activities since it recognizes Palestine as a state, according to Republicans. The State Department, however, has said it still plans on funding the UNFCCC’s green agenda."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I read the article. I notice that it didn't state the name of the program the money came from. I did a little research and found on article on fox that had a State Dept. spokesman saying that the money came from the State Dept.'s Economic Support Fund.

Under questioning by Barrasso at a March 8 Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing, Deputy Secretary of State for Management and Resources Heather Higginbottom told the committee the funds were diverted from the department’s Economic Support Fund -- which provides economic funding to foreign countries -- to the GCF after a full review by department lawyers.

So far, I haven't been able to find any evidence that this fund supports any kind of medical research including Zika.. Don't you think it's at best a little bit sloppy that the daily caller didn't offer any evidence to support this assertion?