Army top brass fly in to visit injured tourists from Samui speedboat tragedy - promise tough action

rooster59

Army top brass fly in to visit injured tourists from Samui speedboat tragedy - promise tough action

post-137452-0-38151100-1464398665_thumb.

Image: Daily News

KOH SAMUI: An army deputy general flew into Samui yesterday to visit two UK tourists injured in the speedboat accident that killed two others earlier this week. Keukoon Innajak of Region four command promised tough action against the owner of the boat service and the driver who had "damaged the image of tourism in the country".

He presented baskets of Brands' essence and flowers to Samantha Bartlett ,36, and Sara Hammer, 31, who were injured in the disaster and recuperating at Bangkok Hospital on the island, Daily News reported.

After flying in by helicopter the deputy general said: "Koh Samui is a world renowned tourist resort. An accident like this spoils the image of the country as a tourist destination. The safety of tourists must be a priority.

"The boat involved was clearly not up to the standards required and yet it was still allowed to operate. Charges will be made against the owner of the service and the driver," he added.

it was reported that the company that ran the service is called Ang Thong Discovery 3.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-28

How about dismissing the head of the regulatory agency that let the boat operate, when it was clearly not up to standards?

That might start to make some difference. When these fat bureaucrats find out that they are out of a job, is when the next in line might start doing their job.

Not much else will have any effect.

It is all well and good to dismiss the head of the regulatory body concerned but who replaces him is more important. And I see no evidence that the ruling junta have any ability to clear out corruption and appoint effective management. The people of this country have been subjected to corruption for generations to the point that the majority only want to get their share of the spoils rather than eradicate the cancer.

I had a difficult job identifying the gift without a finger pointer to guide my focus.

What is this Brands essence?

I reckon it must be a huge con job. I was given one once, it tasted pretty much like a soup cube dissolved in water.

Those little bottles are <deleted> expensive.

I had a difficult job identifying the gift without a finger pointer to guide my focus.

What is this Brands essence?

I reckon it must be a huge con job. I was given one once, it tasted pretty much like a soup cube dissolved in water.

Those little bottles are <deleted> expensive.

I agree they do taste like stock cubes .......

Charges will be made against the owner of the service and the driver," he added.

it was reported that the company that ran the service is called Ang Thong Discovery 3.

In a new development it is also reported that Ang Thong Discovery 3 has closed shop and a new business with the same business model named Ang Thong Discovery 4 has replaced it. It is estimated that similar practice has occurred at least twice before.

I remember when another speed boat sank in rough seas off Koh Tao some years ago. Back the tough action was also promised with little, if any, impact on the boating business.

The main reason for these kind of accidents is, that most of the customers book the trips a few days in advance and nobody knows how the weather on the day of the trip will be.

As the boat operators have to plan 1 day in advance in order to arrange for the number of boats, staff, food & drinks, etc. it is very unlikely that they call a trip off because of rough water. They don't care about a comfortable ride and passenger safety, but only for the money.

How about dismissing the head of the regulatory agency that let the boat operate, when it was clearly not up to standards?

That might start to make some difference. When these fat bureaucrats find out that they are out of a job, is when the next in line might start doing their job.

Not much else will have any effect.

Right after "protecting" tourism protecting their position and all the "perks" that go with comes next. I am sure after their photo-op they will rush out and check all the boats to make sure they are secure and in the hands of capable drivers. What a staged show Oscars for all of them. I am sure the injured were impressed. I am sure social media will do the "proper" spin on this. There is so much after the fact here than actual accident prevention. Its a sham. This is another example as to why the West cannot compete with Asia. In the west beaucoup bucks are spent licensing inspecting etc. with strict control. Here anything goes till an accident happens. The number just came up for the owner and operator of this business. Again its a failure to understand Thainess by yours truly. Edited by elgordo38

Promised tough action cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Fine 500 baht, do not do this again you naughty man.

Damage Thailands image cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif the generals are doing a good job of that themselves.

I wish the generals would apply tough action in the Medetirranean where dozens drown every day. They could become World's Policemen and prevent Donald Dump from claiming the title!

It is all well and good to dismiss the head of the regulatory body concerned but who replaces him is more important. And I see no evidence that the ruling junta have any ability to clear out corruption and appoint effective management. The people of this country have been subjected to corruption for generations to the point that the majority only want to get their share of the spoils rather than eradicate the cancer.

broomers everything you suggest costs money honey and the buck stops there not with the powers that be. Here you wing it and hope and pray daily that nothing happens because you know if it is you will be blued screwed and hung out to dry. Its like a daily game of Russian roulette.

Yet another 'clampdown' on something.. Lost count of how many clampdowns there have been lately.... and not seen the results of them either for that matter.

Seems they just spin out the phrase...'having a clampdown', and the population breath a sigh of relief and think... 'oh good its a clampdown'.. 'end of the problem'. End of story. Nothing changes. Weird place this.

Edited by jak2002003

The safety of tourists must be a priority.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This little charade looks like a replay of the recent Hua Hin beatings aftermath.

They're very good about showing up at the hospital after the fact to apologize, present flowers, and proclaim how tourist safety and maintaining a safe environment are priorities for everyone involved.

Unfortunately, all of that is entirely forgotten the moment they walk outside the hospital doors. Mission accomplished.

After flying in by helicopter the deputy general said: "Koh Samui is a world renowned tourist resort. An accident like this spoils the image of the country as a tourist destination. The safety of tourists must be a priority.

Thailand's current image looks like it has been repeatedly hit in the face with a wrench.

Thailand's current image looks like it has been repeatedly hit in the face with a wrench.

But the truth is that the tourism numbers for the next quarter will still go up. The mind boggles!