Thai airline offers measly 2,000 baht compo for destroying passenger's luggage

While you do not put a laptop or any other sensitive electronic gizmo in your luggage the pictures clearly show wilful destruction; nothing gets damaged to that extent by a bag/suitcase be dropped/falling off a conveyer belt.

Stephen Henry Travelled out of Thailand post 9/11 - no snooker cues allowed on board anymore.

It was a 50 pound cue given to him on his 16th birthday by his parents. He used it to win World Championships.

Flying Thai airways.

Arrived to see that the case had been opened and the cue snapped in half.

coffee1.gif

I hope he demanded compensation and didnt only get a voucher for 400thb..... But somehow probably not....

Let me make an assumption here: Thai Airways followed the new international regulations, and the damaged was caused by ground handling at destination airport.

Tell me I'm wrong.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems to happen quite often. I had a similar problem on a flight with Thai Airways (codeshare flight) from BKK to Zurich. Baggage damaged, no compensation until today. Now I BOYCOTT Thai Airways by all means. And I bet that this airline will not exist anymore in 5 years, it is going down the drain. Too expensive, too bad service, too many delays, And the savety standard is also not good.

Have you tried to complaint to the EU court for air service. You have a better chance to get something out from Thai.

Thai plays the same game all the time. The refuse any compensation in the first instance hoping the passenger will not taking the matter further. Then they offering Mikey Mouse offer like 2000Bt. Some passengers do not want to spend more time on the issue and take the offer. If the complain goes to the legal channel, they will response quicker and their offer is more reasonable. I had the same experience with Thai a few times and I did the same thing every time and I got the maximum entitlement every time.

Good luck for the claim

Wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was not properly loaded on the apron baggage trolley and was run over by another vehicle.

That happened to me once at Birmingham Airport. When my suitcase came up the belt one corner had been crushed, it was soaking wet and a muddy mark was across it.

I complained and they said it was the airline's insurance responsibility. I emailed the airline, a German airline, who said yes it was. And they'd be pleased to examine the case providing I took it to their office in Germany that dealt with such matters. I kid you not. Lovely little catch 22.

Tossers.

In line with the replies about a (one) baggage problem in Thailand, it now means we all have to boycott Birmingham now! And of course, all German airlines. But why stop there? By extension, we should boycott all European airlines, I'd say. And since we're at it, all European airports as well.

Yes. And then they will all go bankrupt. Serves them well.

It seems to happen quite often. I had a similar problem on a flight with Thai Airways (codeshare flight) from BKK to Zurich. Baggage damaged, no compensation until today. Now I BOYCOTT Thai Airways by all means. And I bet that this airline will not exist anymore in 5 years, it is going down the drain. Too expensive, too bad service, too many delays, And the savety standard is also not good.

Have you tried to complaint to the EU court for air service. You have a better chance to get something out from Thai.

Thai plays the same game all the time. The refuse any compensation in the first instance hoping the passenger will not taking the matter further. Then they offering Mikey Mouse offer like 2000Bt. Some passengers do not want to spend more time on the issue and take the offer. If the complain goes to the legal channel, they will response quicker and their offer is more reasonable. I had the same experience with Thai a few times and I did the same thing every time and I got the maximum entitlement every time.

Good luck for the claim

The "mickey mouse offer|" is the amount written into the terms and conditions for lost baggage.

How much should they have paid?

Dunno why people are being sensitive about naming. The report was on Thai TV this morning and my wife said - "look what xyz airline did to someone's bag".

Just smile, you're in Thailand!

a good travel insurance solve the problem...... and let the insurer speak with the airline.

also your home insurance will help in this too if you have insured you stuff the right way with this coverage..

a good travel insurance solve the problem...... and let the insurer speak with the airline.

also your home insurance will help in this too if you have insured you stuff the right way with this coverage..

Sounds like a good idea. I had a situation where my baggage did not arrive until 24 hours later. I had it insured through a low cost airlines insurance.

You know the ones that send you a little certificate of insurance that contains no details of amounts insured for etc. but gives a link to another place.

And then that link leads to another link and around and around the websites until you find the underwriter.

Then when you download that and read the fine print you will find that there are limits of liability in their contracts.

So you soon find out that things that hopefully wont happen like death have reasonable figures of limits but things that are likely have lower limits.

You soon realise that anything of real value you may have in your luggage is under insured. Very considerably.

Then you will have to provide the proof of purchases of those items and some documents from the airport. So you are going to waste a few days to sort this out.

If you ever read the fine print you will find it is not worth paying for it and better to self-insure.

Of course if you die you may get $30,000 australian. In heaven. If you can make a claim. smile.png

So please tell us who are the best to insure with?

Edited by gregk0543

Satisfaction guaranteed is not a goal of most of the businesses who depend on tourist for the major portion

of their income/sales, They seem to think '' here today gone tomorrow'' or as I had one indvidual tell me, I do not

care if I lose a customer due to poor service or food as someone else will come in and sit down at the table

that the dissatisfied customer was seated at.

All businesses have to rely on a combination of local and tourist business. If your service and quality is truly terrible then you simply won't survive long, simple as that. Even tourists talk amongst each other and if a tourist goes to a place to eat thats crap they won't go back again during their 2 week vacation and they will tell other tourists to avoid.

As for locals, well we all know the good places to go, those businesses who bother to do a great job and look after their customers will continue to do well.

If a business owner does not understand that then eventually they will simply go out of business.

My new Vaio laptop and some of my important documents were stolen from the overhead compartment in 2010. I reported the incident to the flying attendants, who asked for help of a supervisor, who asked another person just to waste time. They refused to fill a report or make any serious notice ... of course with a broad smile. ....

That bag must have been run over by a belt loader or pushback tractor! Checking a laptop in hold baggage is silly.

This is an unusual case but I don't think they deserved the compensation, read the small print. Their website says baggage liability is limited to 500 Baht

They should get travel insurance if they expect to be paid for such damages

Tariffs are sure to rise if the airline sucumbs to all this moaning on Facebook.

Edited by arunsakda

Read the T&C's, figure out what's covered and what's not, and pack accordingly.

Hint: Outside the nanny states, assume that nothing's covered in checked luggage, and in the nanny states, nothing valuable is covered.

On an aside, I'm surprised they let the laptop through in Thailand. Nothing with batteries has been allowed in my checked bags for the last 6 months or so. They ask every time I check in.

Or ANY electronics now. At Don Meaung you are supposed to wait until you see your bag go through the xray machine and wait five minutes or until/if your name is called. Your bag may not be on the plane with you! Quite a surprise at the other end.

Thankyou religion of peace.

Read the T&C's, figure out what's covered and what's not, and pack accordingly.

Hint: Outside the nanny states, assume that nothing's covered in checked luggage, and in the nanny states, nothing valuable is covered.

On an aside, I'm surprised they let the laptop through in Thailand. Nothing with batteries has been allowed in my checked bags for the last 6 months or so. They ask every time I check in.

Or ANY electronics now. At Don Meaung you are supposed to wait until you see your bag go through the xray machine and wait five minutes or until/if your name is called. Your bag may not be on the plane with you! Quite a surprise at the other end.

Thankyou religion of peace.

It's not about peace. It's because Li-Ion batteries have been known to spontaneously ignite. If that happens in the overhead compartment, any fire can be prevented or subdued when they start smoking; if that happens in the cargo hold, it will only be detected when it is too late.

And because many passengers have not complied with this safety regulations (or even lied when asked whether they put any batteries, laptops, power banks into the checked baggage, hoping they'll get away with it) and then complained that their baggage did not arrive at destination, now everybody has to wait until their baggage has been X-Rayed.

Don't complain about the security measures, complain about ignorant passengers that make this necessary.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, kingalfred said:

Nokair gave me 400 baht for breaking the handle and cutting side of case. Once again Consumer rights at its peak in LOS

I just checked,  Nok Air is not a member of IATA. So, did you read the Conditions of Contract in your ticket? If not, why do you deduce that Thailand has no consumer rights? Did they pay less than they should and you were denied any rights?