Road Accident.

It generally applies that the car driver , must be of age , a qualified driver and holder of a valid drivers license . Without these qualifications the insurer may not accept the insurance claim .

An under age driver might be alright if accompanied by a qualified driver giving instruction ? My wife used to try to have her 16yr old nephew drive our car , but I would not let him because our car might not be covered by the comprehensive insurance in the event of an accident . In this case , perhaps the cost of repair should be sought from the car owner , they are responsible for letting an unqualified driver borrow the car .

Let's move this to Motoring.

But, Thai vehicle insurance usually covers any driver.

Yes, in Thailand the insurance is on the vehicle not the driver.

Most of the above is absolutely incorrect!

Car insurance in Thailand, especially first class insurance, is on the car AND the driver, if the insurance names specific drivers which is fairly common (as mine does) - only those named drivers are covered and nobody else is.

Perhaps research, Named Drivers in car insurance.

Edited by chiang mai

A few years ago myself and my wife were living outside of Pattaya when we received a letter from the police in Khorat saying we had been involved in an accident and didn't report it. Apparently someone had sideswiped a parked vehicle and just drove off. We countered the letter as we had not been to Khorat for at least 5 years before this incident was supposed to have taken place.

My theory was the police went through registrations of vehicles the same as the one we had at the time and seeing a foreigner's name decided to go for that.

After we challenged them nothing ever came of it. Probably went and tried the next foreigners name on the list until they found someone daft enough to put the blame on.

And you base that on what exactly?

based on reading Thai Visa

A few years ago myself and my wife were living outside of Pattaya when we received a letter from the police in Khorat saying we had been involved in an accident and didn't report it. Apparently someone had sideswiped a parked vehicle and just drove off. We countered the letter as we had not been to Khorat for at least 5 years before this incident was supposed to have taken place.

My theory was the police went through registrations of vehicles the same as the one we had at the time and seeing a foreigner's name decided to go for that.

After we challenged them nothing ever came of it. Probably went and tried the next foreigners name on the list until they found someone daft enough to put the blame on.

And you base that on what exactly?
based on reading Thai Visa
Lol, has to be something like this.

Get a lawyer, that paper your wife signed admitted liability for another accident that will cost you big money. There really was another date, another location, etc... and now they got a cultprit: your wife.

When I was (1st class) insuring my car – some years back now – I could choose between any driver or two named drivers, the latter would give me a discount.

My initial thought is – think others mentioned similar in posts above – that the police may try to help both parts. If no insurance cover, that may be difficult to get compensation from the driver personally, and the driver may get into financial problems covering his compensation. By fiddle little with papers, both parts are covered. I have experienced similar before. If you are offered/get a fair compensation, you shall probably not think to much...

Edited by khunPer

When I was (1st class) insuring my car – some years back now – I could choose between any driver or two named drivers, the latter would give me a discount.
3rd party will always be any driver.

Could have to do with damages on own vehicle, and responsibility to that vehicle's passengers (driver + passenger); what if the driver in said story have made damages to the car he drives, but not own..?

There are many different 1-class insurances and it's quiet a hard peace of work to read threw all the conditions. I can read Thai, but even in my mother langueage it would be a huge effort, as this is the art of insurance business. To the OP; 12 Thousend Baht is not worth to engage a lawyer, as however the verdict will be, you'll have to pay him yourself.

I'm guessing the driver didn't have a licence, so the Insurance won't cover an unqualified driver.

Could have to do with damages on own vehicle, and responsibility to that vehicle's passengers (driver + passenger); what if the driver in said story have made damages to the car he drives, but not own..?
That would be first party damage.

Again I say read the op she will get the money to fix bike from the drivers rearranged insurance no need for lawyer.

AKA fraud......will you retract that when/if complications arise

Again I say read the op she will get the money to fix bike from the drivers rearranged insurance no need for lawyer.

AKA fraud......will you retract that when/if complications arise

mountains out of ant hills. No one will complain every will have everything fixed. Right or wrong up to you been this way for years in thailand. And no I don't care if not really proper it works so there you go

My car insurance is based on me being the sole driver. So in some cases what you stated is not true.If any one else drives my car there is no coverage.for them.

Why would you do this? is it cheaper? does it not leave you wide open for headaches if someone uses your car? what happens in emergency if you need to go to hospital etc and cannot drive?

Thanks.

Yes it is cheaper, of course. In my case restricted to my wife and myself, both of mature age.

Any driver could mean any 17 year old!

I actually do not know what would happen liability wise if the car was 'borrowed' or stolen....but I have used the insurance status a few times to decline requests to borrow my truck.