Road Accident.

My Thai wife was knocked off her motorbike by a car. The car driver has admitted liability and this has been recorded by the local police station. However, the car is not the driver's and the car insurance though fully comprehensive does not cover the driver. The insurance was obtained via a bank and they called in the assessor. To cut a long story short, on the second 'meeting' at the police station, it appears that the assessor, the driver and the police are involved in setting up an insurance to cover the driver. A second police report though still blaming the car driver has now been issued stating a different date for accident, a different location, a different car also. Obviously all in Thai and scribbled such that my wife didn't notice the changes until later. During the negotiations the driver claiming poverty, (damage to the bike is around 12,000 bt), and we are asking ourselves where is this scam taking us? If only to ask advice do any members know of a 'fair' lawyer in the Nangrong area of Buriram? We obviously feel like 'fronting' all of the parties involved but Thai police are just that and we still have to live here. Any advice from members would also be appreciated.

You are becoming involved in fraud. Do not let them change any details of the accident and don't sign any fraudulent paperwork. Contact the government graft hotline ( i don't know the number)

Did your wife sign for something she couldn't read?

If so, there is little you can do.

The wife is Thai and can hopefully read the papers?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Did your wife sign for something she couldn't read?

If so, there is little you can do.

The wife is Thai and can hopefully read the papers?

Ir rural Buriram many can't read. I suspect they are trying to pull a fast one on her, especially as there is a farang husband.

Let's move this to Motoring.

But, Thai vehicle insurance usually covers any driver.

Yes, in Thailand the insurance is on the vehicle not the driver.

My car insurance is based on me being the sole driver. So in some cases what you stated is not true.If any one else drives my car there is no coverage.for them.

Is the guy living in poverty?

hiring a lawyer over 12k baht?

Have a few beers and forget it, DELETED

Or:

Add a lawsuit for something or other.

Which can be negotiated out of the deal if the 12k is paid in cash within 24 hours.

You might get the 12k, DELETED

Either way, don't stress.

Edited by seedy
derogatory

Usually yes but you can specify also yourself and spouse only etc which is what my Wife does and the price is lower, whole thing seems a bit odd, who knows "whats" going on with this one???

My car insurance is based on me being the sole driver. So in some cases what you stated is not true.If any one else drives my car there is no coverage.for them.

Why would you do this? is it cheaper? does it not leave you wide open for headaches if someone uses your car? what happens in emergency if you need to go to hospital etc and cannot drive?

Thanks.

Only for first party damage. 3rd party will still be covered.

Most insurance policies also stipulate that the driver must have a valid driving license.

I've seen drivers without one still be covered after an accident. But it is hit and miss.

Many rural-ittes don't ever bother getting one.

Again, not for 3rd party liability. Edited by stevenl

If you become a party to a 'scam' of the insurance company and 'endorse' a false police report then you will end up in the s**t!

Either the insurance co will find out or you could be blackmailed by 'police' 'someone' for falsifying a claim. Play it straight and refuse to sign anything that is dodgy. Tell them its their problem to come up with the money and you don't want to be 'involved' in how they do it.

Thank's for the helpful advice guys. Peterrabbit has almost picture imaged my thoughts on the issue and this is what I also expected a lawyer to say. By the way 'happy grumpy', for advice not a lawsuit is what I said in my first post about contacting a lawyer. Anyway. thank's again.

Thank's for the helpful advice guys. Peterrabbit has almost picture imaged my thoughts on the issue and this is what I also expected a lawyer to say. By the way 'happy grumpy', for advice not a lawsuit is what I said in my first post about contacting a lawyer. Anyway. thank's again.

I'd reckon to get in touch with Mr. Prapat Ekabut. He's got his office in Ubon Ratchathani. Haven't met such an honest lawyer before and he's fully trustworthy, speaks good English and he's not a rip off.

You can reach him under; DELETED ( I hope he didn't change his phone number, got it on my phone for a few years now)

PM poster for Details

Edited by seedy
personal details

Post Edited - Forum Rule -

18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

PM is the preferred method of passing on personal info

That is probably not true, but could possibly depend on the insurance company. My AXA named driver policy will still cover other (unnamed) drivers but I will have to pay an excess of 6,000 Baht in case of an accident.

Sophon

That is probably not true, but could possibly depend on the insurance company. My AXA named driver policy will still cover other (unnamed) drivers but I will have to pay an excess of 6,000 Baht in case of an accident.

Sophon

Only depends on the insurance company for 1st party coverage. For 3rd party there is always cover, but insurance company can go to driver and try to recoup.

A few years ago myself and my wife were living outside of Pattaya when we received a letter from the police in Khorat saying we had been involved in an accident and didn't report it. Apparently someone had sideswiped a parked vehicle and just drove off. We countered the letter as we had not been to Khorat for at least 5 years before this incident was supposed to have taken place.

My theory was the police went through registrations of vehicles the same as the one we had at the time and seeing a foreigner's name decided to go for that.

After we challenged them nothing ever came of it. Probably went and tried the next foreigners name on the list until they found someone daft enough to put the blame on.

My FILHad an accident and the police and insurance assessor change all the paper work ,what happened in the end was a cheque was issued to FIL and he had to meet the ploice and assessor at the bank to cash it and give the extra to police and assessor ,I went with them and I saw what was happening so I renegotiated the deal with them or we was going to walk ,FILGot an extra 3000 baht and the others walked away with 10,000 between them

Seems to me reading original post that all parties are trying there best to get money for your bike. Yes probably not legally sound but if they get him a policy and it pays out for bike and any injuries to wife job done. So I wouldn't have put anything on here till it was over and done I guess you will get compensation/insurance.

First it does sound like you got to get a lawyer since there is so much confusion.

Here are some food for thought...

The insurance as you indicated from the dealer when they purchased the car is usually what they consider first class insurance. Someone is pulling you leg since the insurance covers the car. Then think about this? Did the owner of the car give permission to the guy to drive the car? Does the guy have a license or was he drunk if so then the fine print mostly likely not covered. Then think about this? Then the owner of the car is liable whether he knew or didn't know if his friend had or license or not. This also goes for being drunk if he was or wasn't. As for not having funds that is a common answer even when a farang is involved? Again that is their problem and the car owner responsibility, have him fix the bike etc... and since he has such a good heart to allow a friend to drive his car who has no money etc. to repay him back later.

Usually reports are Docs so coverage can be made and to straighten this one out you might need a lawyer since your GF or wife has no idea what to do. The registration insurance yearly should cover her medical if needed 10,000-15,000 baht at any hospital public or private.

Example. my car was parked off the road during Songkran. While sitting and eating a bowl of noodles a guy with a brand new truck insurance like you paid by the dealer first year was drunk and roll into the back of my car. He knew being drunk he was not covered and a deal was struck so a few days after Songkran we met and stage the accident as if it was done that moment.

Edited by thailand49

Hi OP

I am no expert on insurance law here etc.

I just want to say I hope your wife is OK :) Sorry to hear about the other crap happening, but if she is ok that's the main thing

A few years ago myself and my wife were living outside of Pattaya when we received a letter from the police in Khorat saying we had been involved in an accident and didn't report it. Apparently someone had sideswiped a parked vehicle and just drove off. We countered the letter as we had not been to Khorat for at least 5 years before this incident was supposed to have taken place.

My theory was the police went through registrations of vehicles the same as the one we had at the time and seeing a foreigner's name decided to go for that.

After we challenged them nothing ever came of it. Probably went and tried the next foreigners name on the list until they found someone daft enough to put the blame on.

And you base that on what exactly?