SETV Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I am going today to the consulate to ask them if I can get a tourist visa from them.

I will let everyone know what they say. Since there are no more double entry visas, this consulate could be a good option for many. There are cheap flights to Vietnam, it's a great country, and some folks don't need a visa.

I hope they won't refuse me.

My history: 3 exempt stamps in 2014 (not visa runner....weeks apart)

1st tourist visa in HCMC in March 2015 - extended it

2 back-to-back double entry visas from Laos.... extended each entry but one.

Now, I am in Vietnam for a couple months....hoping to get a visa.

I'll let you know.

Edited by JacksSmirkingRevenge

Interested to here about Vietnam where would you recommend for a short, say a week or so visit?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Best place to stay is district 1 anywhere near Bui Vien street.

OP look forward to update. There was report that you now need onward flight when obtaining setv. Flight in flight out. That was not case before. Only flight in. Could you check this out for members.

BTW you need to take print out of flights, not just cell phone.

I went to the consulate today.

They're nice, but they are strict.

I handed her my passport, and she went through every page.

She asked you have stayed in Thailand 1 year, what do you do? I just said im a tourist, travel around, hangout.

She said I can get my visa if i prove flights in and out of Thailand AND show my bank statement. I've never had to show a bank statement before, but I guess I have a lot of visas now.

She asked where I will go after Thailand and if I am leaving. I said, yes. She then said this is your last visa....maybe :(

Bottom line: I can get the visa with flights and bank statement.

But I may just do visa exempt. I just want 60 days in THailand, and then I'm gone. I just need to get some stuff done in the meantime.

If I fly into Thailand with no visa, will there be a problem (with my visa history) and should I have a flight out of Thailand and bank statement? If I do visa exempt i will extend it at immigration... any problems? Thanks!

I just got back from a SETV run. Flew in on Air Asia. The flight was 2,320 baht return. (no

luggage) Stayed at the Thien Hai in district 1. About 29 usd when booking on line, 26 usd

when I booked direct with them (basic room, 1 year old hotel, good TV options, internet in

room, solid breakfast and very clean) Very helpful staff. A 25 min easy walk to the consulate

or a 2.50 taxi door to door from the hotel. I took the taxi there and walked back both days.

Drop of passport/paperwork in the AM, pick up passport the next afternoon. I printed the form

here in Thailand, as well as a copy of my flight itinerary/confirmation both into Thailand

and leaving Thailand two months later. (you will need hard copies if these not just the

confirmation on your smartphone.) So I arrived with all paperwork completed, with 40usd

that I got at the airport in Thailand. I was in and out of the consulate in 3 minutes. I was

asked to sit while they checked everything was completed correctly or I would have been

there 20 seconds. Picked up my passport/SETV next afternoon. That took 1 minute as I

had to wait while the receptionist was on the phone. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Zero issues.

Now I was taking advantage of the two week free visa for UK citizens, (visa exempt arrival).

So no paperwork, no costs, walked straight up to immigration. I think this program is

ending July 1st not really sure. Went to Nha Trang by train. The soft sleeper was

19 usd when you buy your ticket at the train station. About 24 usd from a travel agent. you

need your passport when you book. A 20 % or so discount for seigniors. You don't even

have to ask, they just gave it to my buddy when they saw his passport. (No double pricing

for foreigners). The trip takes about 10 hours) Stayed at the Sun City Hotel in Nha Trang.

23 usd. booked on line. Clean and helpful staff, great location, (weak breakfast).

My overall impression of Vietnam. People are very friendly, English is not widely spoken

outside tourist areas but people try to be helpful. The cities and beaches are much cleaner

than comparable Thai cities. Food is excellent, and both food and beer is considerably

cheaper that Thailand. (All the Russians that have left Thailand are in Vietnam) The only

"expensive" places (the Sailing Club) where the tourist places right on the beach. These

places also add a 10% tax 5% service charge. Most places the price you see on the menu

is the price you pay. The gratuity of course is up to you, but is not expected. While local beer

is generally 50-75 cents usd at the tourist traps it is $3 usd. Renting a scooter is not for the

faint of heart but we did. 99% of the locals wear a helmet. The traffic runs more slowly in

Vietnam and operates on the see and be seen, give and take space basis. Locals are much

more respectful of each others safety. The traffic really weaves especially at the roundabouts,

which are many. Lots of tooting horns to let people know there is someone in you blind spot

and announcing intentions. That said taxis are cheep cheep cheep. Use Vina Sun or Mai Lin

they have meters and use them.

Other tips. You get fair baht exchange at the airport when you clear immigration and baggage,

1 baht= 621 dong at least that was the exchange I got May 10th at the airport. ATM have a wide

dispensing limit fro 2 million-10 million Dong. While the Vietnamese ATM charge is small your

home bank charge may be significant. So while there is no need exchange baht to USD and

then to VND just bring baht, if you want to use ATM's select ones with larger dispensing limits.

If you have a smartphone you can get your sim and data package right beside the airport

exchange shylocks. Cheap and useful. As far as other sights, I enjoyed the Cu Chi tunnel tour.

Interesting and I must say it would take a brave American GI to head down those tunnels

chasing the Viet Cong. Also I really like the lacquer art work done by the victims of agent

orange. The Vietnamese government runs a gallery and work shop that has beautiful pieces

and probably the best of souvenirs of Vietnam. If Vietnam ever broadens its visa program to give

all G20 countries the one year visa it just granted Americans, I really think it will decimate Thai

tourism. No visible sex tourism in Vietnam, no GO-GOs or beer bars (that I saw) so that part

of Thai Tourism will be fine. But for backpackers, young couples, and families Vietnam wins

hands down. Just my opinion. I will be back to Vietnam for another visit. I thought it was great. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I did the same back in March, took motorbike taxi from district 1, he waited the few minutes it took to submit the application and then back again for 100000, I didn't bother haggling. The next day I took a taxi for 160000 and walked back, the driver rummaged in my wallet and may have took 100000 extra, so sit in the back as it could be a common thing.

The nice lady asked for return ticket to Thailand and ticket for leaving Thailand. Mine was for less than 30 days so she said I didn't need a visa and just get the 30 day stamp, I told her I was going to change the ticket later so that was ok. I also had a photocopy of my updated bank book. Picking up the next day was also simple but had to wait for 5 minutes which I couldn't understand as she appeared to do nothing.

It was my second time in HCMC I like it, the beer is cheap, I joined a hostel pub crawl and got free drinks at each venue as they thought I was part of it. I saw a few beer bars but didn't go in.

I found the people to be more aggressive than Thais if you can believe, one instance at the indoor market I laughed at the price of a tshirt and the vendor grabbed my arm and wouldn't let go, I had to prise her hand open.

There is a walking street but it is not like pattaya, it is just for walking but lots do it.

I took a motorbike taxi to the airport as by the 5th day I didn't trust the taxis, it was an interesting 30 minute ride.

I think I will return.

Yes, good reports.

Vietnam is a nice place. Certainly more interesting than Laos and more to do. I love Laos, but Vietnam is just more exciting.

If you're in district 1, you can easily walk to the consulate. There are no lines ever, easy. If I had my choice, i'd go to Vietnam for a visa run. Cheap flights, easier time getting the visa, less stress, no need for long buses and border crossings, and Vietnam is just a great place.

The advantage with Laos is that the consulate is less strict. No need to have flights and you can get, perhaps, 3 back-to-back visas.

Edited by JacksSmirkingRevenge