Woman fails to save friend in Australian crocodile attack

webfact

Woman fails to save friend in Australian crocodile attack

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — A woman struggled in vain to drag her friend from a crocodile's jaws off a northeast Australian beach, police said on Monday.

The pair were in shallow water at Thornton Beach in the World Heritage-listed Daintree National Park in Queensland state when the 46-year-old woman was taken by the crocodile late Sunday, Police Senior Constable Russell Parker said.

"Her 47-year-old friend tried to grab her and drag her to safety but she just wasn't able to do that," Parker told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Police said the women were swimming in waist-deep water, while paramedics reported they were walking in knee-deep water when the crocodile struck.

A rescue helicopter fitted with thermal imaging equipment failed to find any trace of the missing woman Sunday night, Parker said, with the search resuming Monday with a helicopter, boat and land-based search teams.

The survivor was taken to a hospital in Mossman suffering from shock and a graze to her arm inflicted as the crocodile brushed against her, Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman Neil Noble said.

"The report that we have from the surviving woman is that they felt a nudge and her partner started to scream and then was dragged into the water," Noble told ABC.

The two women were not locals and might not have been aware that the area was well known as a crocodile habitat, Parker said.

But Warren Enstch, who represents the area in the Australian Parliament, said the beach was beside a creek where tourism operators run crocodile-spotting tours. Enstch said the two tourists had to have seen plentiful crocodile warning signs in the region.

"You can't legislate against human stupidity," Entsch said. "If you go in swimming at 10 o'clock at night, you're going to get consumed."

The attack occurred near where a 5-year-old boy was taken and killed by a 4.3-metre (14-foot) crocodile from a swamp in 2009 and a 43-year-old woman was killed by a 5-meter (16-foot) croc while swimming in a creek in 1985.

Darwin-based crocodile expert Grahame Webb said while most crocodiles were found in rivers, swamps and other protected waterways, open beaches in northern Australia were not safe.

"There've been quite a lot of attacks off beaches and off coral reefs where people are snorkeling," Webb said.

Crocodile numbers have boomed across Australia's northern tropics since they became a protected species under federal law in 1971, and they pose an increasing threat to humans.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-30

There are loads of signs on that beach, Thornton Beach, warning punters about the jellyfish and crocs.

Here is one of them at Thornton.

In fact the signs are everywhere on the highway all the way up from Yorkey's Knob, particular near those estuaries. Very hard not to know.

112440323.jpg

Obvious condolences to the deceased family, but what kind of moron would go swimming in a known area of large salty's at night.

You could maybe make some weak case for some non English comprehending person making that kind of error, but this was an Aussie.

Been to that region and I would suggest not to swim anywhere there period. Between the crocs, box jellyfish and irukandji jellyfish, it's just not worth the risk anywhere in Far North Queensland. That being said, what were they thinking swimming in a known croc region "at night".

"You can't legislate against human stupidity," Entsch said. "If you go in swimming at 10 o'clock at night, you're going to get consumed."

You gotta love Aussie MPs.

In this case, he knows what he's talking about.

Ensch was a crocodile farmer before he became an MP.

One of the few LNP pollies I have respect for. He's pretty progressive for a Liberal and at least he's not a <deleted> lawyer...

Remember this one at Kakadu?

"DARWIN, Australia (AP) — A tour guide who invited foreign tourists to swim in crocodile infested waters in northern Australia in 2002 acted in a "grossly negligent" manner that led to the death of a German visitor, a coroner's report said Tuesday."

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/011105/upd_075-4423.shtml

Even though there are warning signs at prime threat locations, people (especially tourists and visitors) just don't appreciate how numerous these big lizards are along the coast, estuaries, and rivers of North Australia. And, their numbers are increasing as they expand their range into areas of human habitation.

post-209291-0-99249400-1464601511_thumb.

Edited by waldroj

What are you trying to say--------- he's rightcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Lol, the upper echelon on education and intelligence occupying public positions. Gotta love the diplomatic comforting statement for the shocked witness and grieving family members. You guys are hilarious. Love it!

What are you trying to say--------- He's right

Hilarious. Gotta love this disconnect as well as the elegance possessed by the Foster drinking, inbred tomatoed faced MPs in Australia. Lol, al least laser those dang capillaries if you are going to drink yourself into tomatoe face.

I note the Northern Territories politician saying that the death was down to "human stupidity." I regret to say that if he said something like that in the UK the apologist brigade would be all over him like a rash.

Even though he was telling the truth.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

I note the Northern Territories politician saying that the death was down to "human stupidity." I regret to say that if he said something like that in the UK the apologist brigade would be all over him like a rash.

It struck me as a pretty cold hearted comment to make on the very day that a woman was violently eaten alive by a crock. No one was holding the government to account for the incident so why jump up and feel the need to make the statement. I could understand if people where requesting legislation to ensure no people would be taken by crocks then that comment may possibly be appropriate to make but there was no such debate going on. As an elected official I would expect he would be wanting too, firstly, be respectful to the woman's family and friends who have suffered a terrible loss in horrific circumstances, the welfare of the woman that witnessed and tried to assist this poor woman. Reports today is she is so traumatised she is unable to provide a coherent description of the events. Wait for the Coroners detailed report and study any recommendations that follow. Other than that if you don't have anything constructive to say shut your big fat gob we don't actually need to be told how to suck eggs.

What, does Entsch hear of a car accident that wipes out both parents and three children and say 'well you can't legislate against human stupidity'? Or we have a young man that has killed his wife and two children today in Perth, I think, is Entsch's response to this tragedy 'well you can't legislate against human stupidity'?

It was just a bonehead thing to say. Nothing to do with telling the truth he doesn't even know the circumstances of this incident.

It struck me as a pretty cold hearted comment to make on the very day that a woman was violently eaten alive by a crock. No one was holding the government to account for the incident so why jump up and feel the need to make the statement. I could understand if people where requesting legislation to ensure no people would be taken by crocks then that comment may possibly be appropriate to make but there was no such debate going on. As an elected official I would expect he would be wanting too, firstly, be respectful to the woman's family and friends who have suffered a terrible loss in horrific circumstances, the welfare of the woman that witnessed and tried to assist this poor woman. Reports today is she is so traumatised she is unable to provide a coherent description of the events. Wait for the Coroners detailed report and study any recommendations that follow. Other than that if you don't have anything constructive to say shut your big fat gob we don't actually need to be told how to suck eggs.

What, does Entsch hear of a car accident that wipes out both parents and three children and say 'well you can't legislate against human stupidity'? Or we have a young man that has killed his wife and two children today in Perth, I think, is Entsch's response to this tragedy 'well you can't legislate against human stupidity'?

It was just a bonehead thing to say. Nothing to do with telling the truth he doesn't even know the circumstances of this incident. Only said I respect him earlier because he's not a <deleted> lawyer, he is a CONservative from the COALalition after all eh.

You're right up2, his timing could have been a lot better. As you suggest, leave any comments he wants to make until the Coroner's report is released.

He does represent a red neck constituency up there in the far north though, they like their politicians to come out with stuff like this.

Edited by NumbNut

It was just a bonehead thing to say. Nothing to do with telling the truth he doesn't even know the circumstances of this incident.

Save us from the PC brigade! Don't speak the truth lest somebody get offend, or their sensitivities get hurt. Just what part of the circumstances didn't he know?

Save us from the PC brigade! Don't speak the truth lest somebody get offend, or their sensitivities get hurt. Just what part of the circumstances didn't he know?

Nothing to do with being PC just common decency or do you suggest that ALL tragic events are met with a dope of a politician making the moronic statement 'well you can't legislate against human stupidity'? How stupid would you like your politicians to be?

Circumstances? Well how about we wait for the detailed Coroners Report that will outline exactly what occurred first and then discuss the actual factual circumstances of what exactly occurred.

and yes you do take into consideration the impact of idiotic comments dressed up as 'the truth' before you open your big fat ignorant mouth.

So it would be okay for Entsch on hearing the news to take a flight to the father of this woman front door and to personally deliver his message 'well mate you can't legislate against stupidity can you'. Try it on me and he would be wishing a crocodile had taken him.

Even though there are warning signs at prime threat locations, people (especially tourists and visitors) just don't appreciate how numerous these big lizards are along the coast, estuaries, and rivers of North Australia. And, their numbers are increasing as they expand their range into areas of human habitation.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Talk about legislating against stupidity, this is one practice that should be banned, teaching crocs to jump up alongside watercraft is incredibly STOOPID.

Damn fools.

What are you trying to say--------- He's right

Hilarious. Gotta love this disconnect as well as the elegance possessed by the Foster drinking, inbred tomatoed faced MPs in Australia. Lol, al least laser those dang capillaries if you are going to drink yourself into tomatoe face.

trying to emulate johnny depp? by the way, the only ones in australia who drink 'foster's are tourists.

Following on from up2u2's post, the dead woman's father and sister actually made the trip from NZ, to hold a memorial service for her on the beach where she was taken.

In a further development, authorities found a 4.3m crocodile near the site and "euthanased" it. An autopsy revealed human remains in its stomach.

Following on from up2u2's post, the dead woman's father and sister actually made the trip from NZ, to hold a memorial service for her on the beach where she was taken.

In a further development, authorities found a 4.3m crocodile near the site and "euthanased" it. An autopsy revealed human remains in its stomach.

Hopefully that &lt;deleted&gt; Entsch was no where to be seen. Leave them in peace to deal with their loss. A very sad journey for them.

trying to emulate johnny depp? by the way, the only ones in australia who drink 'foster's are tourists.

Yeah get it right F450murci, NO ONE drinks Fosters in Oz except Barry Mackenzie and Paul Hogan sick.gif

Ya dill! gigglem.gif

You got me thinking though... maybe Barnyard does drink Foster's... he's dopey enough that's for sure.

Edited by NumbNut