Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

I don't think Thai people have an answer for everything, just as everyone else and agree with you there - but I do find certain things of interest that go beyond many of the superficial points you make above. I am not saying or meaning to imply your post is superficial, as the larger questions raised are not. I would not really learn anything from sitting cross legged at dinner, though I have shared enough meals with family. Food is a hunger thing for me and sometimes it is a social thing too. I come and go as I please.

I find many things about Thai people and Thai society interesting. Yes, they do seem to me to be happier than people from back home. I come from a small family in USA, though highly successful people, unhappy and a very dysfunctional family dynamic. Here I am a small but unique cog in a very very big family wheel. I live in a family compound. Mostly, people go about their individual days and ways, doing what they like, and help each other when needed, w/o need to ask or accounts kept. At the moment, my father in law is in the hospital. Even now at a hospital 2 hours away, he will have 10-20 family members visiting. I have been ferrying them. When I return home there will be an additional 20-30 people waiting to see if I need a meal or help with anything. He is the oldest of 10 siblings and you can imagine with each one having an extended family, we can hit 150 people w/a family party.

In general, I see no hunger as everyone can go to the temple and be fed and no homelessness in the countryside and small cities. The whys and where of this I find interesting and a positive as in my "rich" home country, homelessness is an issue. Yes, I know there are some homeless drug addicts... but I am just trying to make a few general points here.

Once below the surface, I have found that Thai are perceptive and many have a highly developed sixth sense that few farang have... and i am curious about this. So, amongst some of your assumptions, I don't find living in my village and learning about a different culture "torture" - I am really not into pain and would not do anything that I found unpleasant. I am a fairly practical guy.

Very interesting and sensitive post, thank you.

I value my western upbringing hugely but, as I learn more about the Thai family way of doing things, I sometimes wonder if we in the west aren't in the process of losing something very precious.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think Thai people have an answer for everything, just as everyone else and agree with you there - but I do find certain things of interest that go beyond many of the superficial points you make above. I am not saying or meaning to imply your post is superficial, as the larger questions raised are not. I would not really learn anything from sitting cross legged at dinner, though I have shared enough meals with family. Food is a hunger thing for me and sometimes it is a social thing too. I come and go as I please.

I find many things about Thai people and Thai society interesting. Yes, they do seem to me to be happier than people from back home. I come from a small family in USA, though highly successful people, unhappy and a very dysfunctional family dynamic. Here I am a small but unique cog in a very very big family wheel. I live in a family compound. Mostly, people go about their individual days and ways, doing what they like, and help each other when needed, w/o need to ask or accounts kept. At the moment, my father in law is in the hospital. Even now at a hospital 2 hours away, he will have 10-20 family members visiting. I have been ferrying them. When I return home there will be an additional 20-30 people waiting to see if I need a meal or help with anything. He is the oldest of 10 siblings and you can imagine with each one having an extended family, we can hit 150 people w/a family party.

In general, I see no hunger as everyone can go to the temple and be fed and no homelessness in the countryside and small cities. The whys and where of this I find interesting and a positive as in my "rich" home country, homelessness is an issue. Yes, I know there are some homeless drug addicts... but I am just trying to make a few general points here.

Once below the surface, I have found that Thai are perceptive and many have a highly developed sixth sense that few farang have... and i am curious about this. So, amongst some of your assumptions, I don't find living in my village and learning about a different culture "torture" - I am really not into pain and would not do anything that I found unpleasant. I am a fairly practical guy.

I value my western upbringing hugely but, as I learn more about the Thai family way of doing things, I sometimes wonder if we in the west aren't in the process of losing something very precious.

Hello Khun Surd - Yes, same as you, I value where I came from as most people who are content with where they are.. we realize that all was part of the road to get here... it seems with the violence in the West and maybe a growth spurt of independence, the family structure is not what it was in my grandparents day...

As to Thailand... A quick story. I was buying fruit from a vendor in town the other day. A samlor pulled up with an old, poor, dusty looking lady in the back. She asked about the canteloupe and when she heard it was 20 baht, she declined. So, I bought it for her. The samlor driver looked at me and then said,"If I ever see you walking around, I will take you free anywhere you want to go." I have a car but just thanked him. But, this is the Thailand that I live in - maybe you can say the Thailand that I make for myself, but it is all the real Thailand for me. And when I see some of the posts here of confrontation, sometimes over the 1/2 satang they were "cheated" out of by a cashier at 7 - - I see that some people just do not live in the same Thailand as i do...

Hello Khun Surd - Yes, same as you, I value where I came from as most people who are content with where they are.. we realize that all was part of the road to get here... it seems with the violence in the West and maybe a growth spurt of independence, the family structure is not what it was in my grandparents day...

As to Thailand... A quick story. I was buying fruit from a vendor in town the other day. A samlor pulled up with an old, poor, dusty looking lady in the back. She asked about the canteloupe and when she heard it was 20 baht, she declined. So, I bought it for her. The samlor driver looked at me and then said,"If I ever see you walking around, I will take you free anywhere you want to go." I have a car but just thanked him. But, this is the Thailand that I live in - maybe you can say the Thailand that I make for myself, but it is all the real Thailand for me. And when I see some of the posts here of confrontation, sometimes over the 1/2 satang they were "cheated" out of by a cashier at 7 - - I see that some people just do not live in the same Thailand as i do...

How many years since anyone has seen a samlor working in Thailand?

How many years since anyone has seen a samlor working in Thailand?

It is a motorcycle/motorized samlor and we still have them here... you will also see them in CM though I suspect more a tourist gig - but still have them in rural cities.

"How many years since anyone has seen a samlor working in Thailand?"

555. Some locations still have them. More expensive than Tuktuk because it's SLOWER. Sometimes you pay more for the old & beautiful way.

Took one last year. Guy had a tire blow out in my apartment parking lot. He was not a happy camper, so big 40B tip.

Think Thai culture is just about money number one.

the rest is Bo-lox

Only reason they go to the temple is to look for lucky lottery numbers in the smoke from the incense

or number like shapes in the trees outside.

Sorry cant Kid a Kidder Thailand. coffee1.gif

the rest is Bo-lox

Only reason they go to the temple is to look for lucky lottery numbers in the smoke from the incense

In what culture is money not number one?

post-246924-0-64472800-1464864208_thumb.

the rest is Bo-lox

In what culture is money not number one?

Ha ha

Maybe they go there for lottery numbers as well. in between choir boys

personally im a born again atheos.

Edited by onemorechang

As for the food...never touch the fish. Fresh my hairy ass ! Sea bass - no it is farmed Barramundi.

Som Tam....stinks to high heaven. You want the blue bottles and flies to come to the table - bring this stuff out.

The tiny plate of fish oil and chilli they give you to pour on food - smells like cats piss that has started go off mixed with rotten fish.

Pad Thai - sticky gooey noodles spiced up to give it a taste.

MSG - used to give most oriental dishes something called taste.

Any noodle dish - Soft, sloppy slurpy messy and tasteless unless you get some MSG.

Fruit - totally poisoned with chemicals. Why do you think it is all the same bright colour, size and shape...Nature did that out in Isaan - I think not. Watermelons all the same size as a size 5 football ?

Every day you can buy cloned bright yellow mangoes the same size shape and colour....

Most Thai food is absolute dog shi## most foreigners that eat it on a daily basis it eat because it's cheap, end off.

Thai culture in Pattaya that has Thais living in it from all over Thailand consists solely of how much money they are sent each month from buffaloes around the world!

Most Thai food is absolute dog shi## most foreigners that eat it on a daily basis it eat because it's cheap, end off.

Thai culture in Pattaya that has Thais living in it from all over Thailand consists solely of how much money they are sent each month from buffaloes around the world!

As anyone who lives here knows there is good Thai food and Bad Thai food and cheap Thai food and expensive Thai food.

Same as anyplace else.

As anyone who has lived in Pattaya know the great majority of people there don't have a Farang Buffalo.

BS

Some of the fish dishes are fantastic, same as chicken and pork dishes.

you talk about what you know nothing of. facepalm.gif

Recon you could be one of the classy, Bacon egg and chips brigade. thumbsup.gif

( Don't like that Foreign muck)

Edited by onemorechang

My original post was trying to be a little sarcastic and a little bit of humor thrown in.

I would have to look up the meaning of what a Culture is relative to any country but even then the theory is one thing while the practices or conduct of the people is more relevant.

I would not stay here if were not for the fact that it is an easy enough place to live while surrounded by a said to be ancient culture which is practiced by over all gracious and hospitable human beings in a particular region of the world.

While we live here we witness on a daily basis or become aware of on a daily basis the conduct of the Thai people while it is the people that make the culture......right??

If that is the case then yes there are many wonderful aspects of Thai culture that we should or could emulate.

If you examine the conduct of the Thai people, relative to their said to be long practiced cultural ways and values and often unique to the Thais then yes there is a lot of good value to be recognized and worthy of emulating those aspects of Thai culture.

However it also has to be recognized that a large percent of their cultural values and practices are the same or similar to all countries relative to the ways and means that humans interact with one another on a social level while there are plenty of ugly aspects of the Thai peoples conduct and their social interaction that have to be recognized also.

So...the fact that Thais drive dangerously and in many cases considered just plain stupid conduct, than can we add that to list of things, so to speak, that are considered part of Thai culture.

The government and the people in positions of authority in this country have always been and will continue to be corrupt and greedy and no doubt about that, so is that also what can be listed and confirmed as part of Thai culture?

Alcoholism and drunken disorderly conduct and all kinds of dirty deeds performed when intoxicated including drunken driving accidents that result in lose of life and all the negative aspects of alcohol and alcoholism and alcohol fueled senseless behavior and conduct...... so should that also be considered part of Thai culture?

Then there is the sex industry that is well known around the world but officially does not exist but historically it has always been part of the conduct of the Thais ...so would that not be also considered in the list of things that are part of Thai culture?

Then there is the issue of garbage and waste regarding the conduct of the Thais who just drop it or throw their garbage anywhere and do not even care in the least....so is that conduct all part of Thai culture and now commonly practiced by nearly every Thai person everywhere in Thailand.

The list could go on and on while the point is:

When people talk about Thai culture they are always talking about all the GOOD aspects of the Thai peoples conduct and practices and their social behavior amongst one another in a variety of ways and means...

However all the Bad and the Ugly aspects of their conduct and practices and their social behavior amongst one another is always omitted ..of course ...naturally...but there is a lot of the bad amongst the good and a lot of the ugly amongst the good as you well know when you live here for a long time and witness it and or become acutely aware of what is really going on.

Thai Culture? ...What does it mean??? and what is really entailed because it is based on the conduct and behavior of the Thai people so it encompasses: the Good ..the Bad ..and the Ugly aspects of practiced conduct and behavior amongst the Thai people.

Just my thoughts on "Thai Culture"...and all that is or could be entailed

Cheers

I have removed all the posts and replies about What do you know of the fish you are eating As it is off topic and now derailing the topic.

My original post was trying to be a little sarcastic and a little bit of humor thrown in.

I would have to look up the meaning of what a Culture is relative to any country but even then the theory is one thing while the practices or conduct of the people is more relevant.

I would not stay here if were not for the fact that it is an easy enough place to live while surrounded by a said to be ancient culture which is practiced by over all gracious and hospitable human beings in a particular region of the world.

While we live here we witness on a daily basis or become aware of on a daily basis the conduct of the Thai people while it is the people that make the culture......right??

If that is the case then yes there are many wonderful aspects of Thai culture that we should or could emulate.

If you examine the conduct of the Thai people, relative to their said to be long practiced cultural ways and values and often unique to the Thais then yes there is a lot of good value to be recognized and worthy of emulating those aspects of Thai culture.

However it also has to be recognized that a large percent of their cultural values and practices are the same or similar to all countries relative to the ways and means that humans interact with one another on a social level while there are plenty of ugly aspects of the Thai peoples conduct and their social interaction that have to be recognized also.

So...the fact that Thais drive dangerously and in many cases considered just plain stupid conduct, than can we add that to list of things, so to speak, that are considered part of Thai culture.

The government and the people in positions of authority in this country have always been and will continue to be corrupt and greedy and no doubt about that, so is that also what can be listed and confirmed as part of Thai culture?

Alcoholism and drunken disorderly conduct and all kinds of dirty deeds performed when intoxicated including drunken driving accidents that result in lose of life and all the negative aspects of alcohol and alcoholism and alcohol fueled senseless behavior and conduct...... so should that also be considered part of Thai culture?

Then there is the sex industry that is well known around the world but officially does not exist but historically it has always been part of the conduct of the Thais ...so would that not be also considered in the list of things that are part of Thai culture?

Then there is the issue of garbage and waste regarding the conduct of the Thais who just drop it or throw their garbage anywhere and do not even care in the least....so is that conduct all part of Thai culture and now commonly practiced by nearly every Thai person everywhere in Thailand.

When people talk about Thai culture they are always talking about all the GOOD aspects of the Thai peoples conduct and practices and their social behavior amongst one another in a variety of ways and means...

However all the Bad and the Ugly aspects of their conduct and practices and their social behavior amongst one another is always omitted ..of course ...naturally...but there is a lot of the bad amongst the good and a lot of the ugly amongst the good as you well know when you live here for a long time and witness it and or become acutely aware of what is really going on.

Thai Culture? ...What does it mean??? and what is really entailed because it is based on the conduct and behavior of the Thai people so it encompasses: the Good ..the Bad ..and the Ugly aspects of practiced conduct and behavior amongst the Thai people.

Cheers

yeah Gem - I do think of the word "culture" as having a positive connotation... it might be the habit of the people to drive poorly but that is not a cultural thing... most of the things you listed above I see in USA too, so, not particularly a Thai thing... maybe it is just me, I have hard the word used almost always in a positive context... I think the word rises above the implication of littering.

found this short definition...

the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

The definition above is accurate but none too specific. Why understanding Thai language helps undertsnad the culture (if that is what you wish) is because there are a few concepts expressed in Thai for which Western equivalents need pages to fully describe ... "griengchai" and "luk-nong" for example and there are more. Extended families with clear indication of who is related to whom via their various forms of uncle or aunt or grandparents titles is another aspect not found in English language...... "tamboon" and "nam chai" all fit into this language/concept part of Thai culture as do the festivals - in their earlier form at least. As indicated above, these are indeed positive aspects to me.

My friend here of 17 years keeps saying to me "why don't you learn Thai". I just think listenign to the locals would simply disillusion me further as to the ways fo the Thai people. After observing the Thai temple and the recent stories on monks I don't have too much interest in the cultural side.

Cheers

yeah Gem - I do think of the word "culture" as having a positive connotation... it might be the habit of the people to drive poorly but that is not a cultural thing... most of the things you listed above I see in USA too, so, not particularly a Thai thing... maybe it is just me, I have hard the word used almost always in a positive context... I think the word rises above the implication of littering.

found this short definition...

the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

OK......that makes sense.

That being the case then all the negative aspects can be labeled under: Thai Ways... and seems suitable ...lol

Cheers

My friend here of 17 years keeps saying to me "why don't you learn Thai". I just think listenign to the locals would simply disillusion me further as to the ways fo the Thai people. After observing the Thai temple and the recent stories on monks I don't have too much interest in the cultural side.

Of course I get that a lot. Here so long why don't you speak Thai. My stock answer is I'm American and we're bad at languages. Partly true but of course it's personal. I don't feel interested enough to put in the work.

So I suppose I'm lying.

Edited by Jingthing

I have a second home in the Pattaya area specifically because I don't want to have anything to do with Thai culture. Despite being married to a Thai woman for 25 years I don't and never will speak the language, I think the religious superstitions are ridiculous, I don't especially like the food, or music etc. Pattaya is a place in Thailand I can live BECAUSE I can ignore the local culture. My wife would much prefer to be in "Nakhon Nowhere", but I can't last 2 days in a row there.

Pattaya is tolerable because I can get by with English, find decent (western) food, and because there are plenty of guys just like me to befriend. But I still could never live here full time. I need 6 months a year back home to maintain my sanity.

In my Pattaya metro neighborhood most of the western men, including the full time residents, flat out refuse to ever travel up country with their Thai wives. Pattaya is made for guys like me.

Edited by ftpjtm

I have a second home in the Pattaya area specifically because I don't want to have anything to do with Thai culture. Despite being married to a Thai woman for 25 years I don't and never will speak the language, I think the religious superstitions are ridiculous, I don't especially like the food, or music etc. Pattaya is a place in Thailand I can live BECAUSE I can ignore the local culture. My wife would much prefer to be in "Nakhon Nowhere", but I can't last 2 days in a row there.

Pattaya is tolerable because I can get by with English, find decent (western) food, and because there are plenty of guys just like me to befriend. But I still could never live here full time. I need 6 months a year back home to maintain my sanity.

In my Pattaya metro neighborhood most of the western men, including the full time residents, flat out refuse to ever travel up country with their Thai wives. Pattaya is made for guys like me.

Nice to read a post that's honest and not P.C.[emoji87]☘

Of course I get that a lot. Here so long why don't you speak Thai. My stock answer is I'm American and we're bad at languages. Partly true but of course it's personal. I don't feel interested enough to put in the work.

So I suppose I'm lying.

Haha your such a pork chop "I'm American and were bad at languages" one of the most ridiculous statements ive read anywhere. That will do me. Note to self ignore all jingthing thread topics absolute plonker. Cheers