Throw the book at them - Thai public angry with rogue taxis

webfact

Throw the book at them - Thai public angry with rogue taxis

fbp.jpg
Image: Thairath Facebook

BANGKOK: -- As yet another taxi driver was arrested the Thai public are calling for more action.

It was announced on the Thai Rath facebook page that a taxi driver had been arrested by tourist police for driving off and leaving an Iranian tourist after visiting a gas station in the King Kaew area near Bangkok airport.

He was pictured with a travel bag and valuables and handed over to Bang Kaew police for prosecution. His license was also found to be out of date.

The Thai public commenting on Facebook were in no doubt what to do.

"Get them all and clear this mess from our roads!" commented Yui Parissana.

While Chutima Sd chipped in: "These rogues are giving all the good drivers a bad name. Get rid of them all and we can keep the good ones."

While Tawatchai Khamngoen had some words for those who rent the taxis: "It is the owners of the taxis to blame too. They just accept anyone as a driver worried they won't get the rents."

Source: Thai Rath facebook page

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-31

It was only yesterday I was using taxis to get around bkk for my private affairs. It took me a total of 4 taxis before one would take me to the translation station. Then earlier, a motorcycle taxi drove me about 2 kilometers and when I got off he demanded 200 baht. I laughed at him and slapped 60 baht in his hand and ignored his yelling at me as I walked away. My previous trip a week before was even worse and attempt more demanding by them. Of course, I could have reported them all. But the hotlines they offer don't understand English. So what's the point. The way I see it, nothing has changed from 7 years ago when I first lived in bkk.

It was only yesterday I was using taxis to get around bkk for my private affairs. It took me a total of 4 taxis before one would take me to the translation station. Then earlier, a motorcycle taxi drove me about 2 kilometers and when I got off he demanded 200 baht. I laughed at him and slapped 60 baht in his hand and ignored his yelling at me as I walked away. My previous trip a week before was even worse and attempt more demanding by them. Of course, I could have reported them all. But the hotlines they offer don't understand English. So what's the point. The way I see it, nothing has changed from 7 years ago when I first lived in bkk.

Things have changed. It's worse now.

Not just 'farangs' who have a 'negative' attitude towards taxi drivers.

I find most to be okay. I find motorcy taxi drivers are a bigger problem.

"Not just 'farangs' who have a 'negative' attitude towards taxi drivers."

Not just farangs who think badly of Thais in general. You should hear my wife on the subject of Thais who make her feel ashamed of being Thai. And she's not just saying it for my benefit either, she wants to move to Vietnam to get away from the pervasive dishonesty in TL..

W

Agree, I used to get taxis a lot but we always take the car now. Having to get refused 5 times before getting in, then finally I'm "accepted" and get the privilege of sitting in a dirty taxi where the driver is too tight to put on the air con, listening to a crackly radio at 100db with no seatbelts being driven by a (armed) maniac got old pretty quick.

There's some good ones of course. But in my experience around 50% are dickheads.

Not just farangs who think badly of Thais in general. You should hear my wife on the subject of Thais who make her feel ashamed of being Thai. And she's not just saying it for my benefit either, she wants to move to Vietnam to get away from the pervasive dishonesty in TL..

W

Mine chose Lao.

Vientiane.

so why did you not negotiate the fare with that motocy taxi beforehand ? was there a destination price list on the wall where they park (would require you to be able to read Thai of course)

W

Mine chose Lao.

Vientiane.

Would like to but can't afford Vientiane.

Odd when you think about going to a communist republic to get better freedoms dontcha thing?

W

W

My wife already gave up and moved back to new York . She barely has motivation to come and visit her family anymore. I'm still here until i can get a rotation at my job.

I still don’t have a problem with them. I get in and don’t get out until they do their job. In other words I own that cab. It may take them a few minutes to figure it out and every one of them acts like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum. I also say I will only pay what is on the meter. Had so far about 40 bad cabs so far (lost count), and everyone except one who had a genuine problem with the car. Also about 10 free rides when they discovered I was going to use that wonderful bad boy taxi APP or post it on Facebook. There is Karma in there some place. The advantages of being an Alpha male I guess.

Agree, I used to get taxis a lot but we always take the car now. Having to get refused 5 times before getting in, then finally I'm "accepted" and get the privilege of sitting in a dirty taxi where the driver is too tight to put on the air con, listening to a crackly radio at 100db with no seatbelts being driven by a (armed) maniac got old pretty quick.

There's some good ones of course. But in my experience around 50% are dickheads.

I had some really lovely drivers (mostly female drivers whom I would always prefer to male drivers). Occasionally some nightmare rides though.

I don't know why but Thailand is, I believe, only on this side of the gurgler because of Thai women. Cionstruction workers, street sweepers, coffee houses. restaurants, eating shanties... all women.

Many foreigners of my acquaintance consider Thai men to be a waste of protein. Not all, but most, and the ones that aren't are all over 60. Pretty much my view of Thai men in our village.

W

I still don’t have a problem with them. I get in and don’t get out until they do their job. In other words I own that cab. It may take them a few minutes to figure it out and every one of them acts like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum. I also say I will only pay what is on the meter. Had so far about 40 bad cabs so far (lost count), and everyone except one who had a genuine problem with the car. Also about 10 free rides when they discovered I was going to use that wonderful bad boy taxi APP or post it on Facebook. There is Karma in there some place. The advantages of being an Alpha male I guess.

Well done you... seriously, well done.

W

W

Your wife will be in for a rude shock not too far into any Vietnam stay. The gangs there are much more highly organized than the Thais ever dreamed of being. Street crime as well as day to day casual dishonesty is as ingrained there as anyplace else.

At least the Thais smile when they are screwing somebody....there is no "Mai phen rai" in Vietnam.

In Bangkok, taking a taxi can be a bit of a crap shoot...in HCMC or Hanoi, taking anything other than a green fleet taxi pretty much guarantees a fleecing.

People in Bangkok, both Thai and foreigners have no idea how good they have got it; re: Taxis. Spend any time using taxis in Jakarta, Penang, Kuala Lumpur or any place in India and you'll quickly see how bad it can really be.

Hong Kong, Seoul and Taipei taxis are run decently but easily more than double the cost, Tokyo or any Japanese city, about 10 times what the meter in Bangkok runs for a similar distance.

There are over 100,000 licensed taxi drivers in Bangkok. Any social group that size will have some bad apples but most of the drivers I have dealt with just want to get their passenger to their destination and get their next fare.

There undoubtedly are some nasty taxi drivers out there but you can be certain that there are as many equally nasty passengers as well. I know this for a fact because I drove a taxi more than 5 years, putting myself through university.

Edited by dddave

In over 30 years I can honestly say I have only had a couple that were problematic. Most have been no problem

Me too. 99% have been fine. I get a few refusals but as I do not speak perfect Thai I suspect they have valid reasons sometimes such as finishing a shift at a location opposite to where I'm going. Driving in a big city is a stressful job and it combines dealing with the public some of whom are rude. Bangkok taxis are great value for money, I talk to the drivers, try to practice Thai etc. If people don't like taxis they have other options. As for the Iranian who left his bags in a taxi - not clever. This week I took a taxi between to Issan towns. When he gassed up I went to the bathroom. I took my small bag of valuables with me and left the big bag on the bag seat. I photographed the taxi before entering the toilets.

Lived in Pattaya for a long time (moved away now) never had a problem with taxis from airport.Always negotiated a price for the trip.Always allowed a bit more if collecting friends.Always gave 100 b tip pp.Same same motor bikes.used the same guys for years.I ask how much,they tell me,i knock them down 20 b.but when i get to destination,always give them the 20 baht anyway. its a game.

In over 30 years I can honestly say I have only had a couple that were problematic. Most have been no problem

Me too. 99% have been fine. I get a few refusals but as I do not speak perfect Thai I suspect they have valid reasons sometimes such as finishing a shift at a location opposite to where I'm going. Driving in a big city is a stressful job and it combines dealing with the public some of whom are rude. Bangkok taxis are great value for money, I talk to the drivers, try to practice Thai etc. If people don't like taxis they have other options. As for the Iranian who left his bags in a taxi - not clever. This week I took a taxi between to Issan towns. When he gassed up I went to the bathroom. I took my small bag of valuables with me and left the big bag on the bag seat. I photographed the taxi before entering the toilets.

I very really drive into Bangkok for two reasons. The traffic as you know is very bad and finding a place to park near where you want to be can take longer than the reason you went to Bangkok in the first place. Usually I go to Future Park in Rangsit. A lot easier to get to and easy to find a place to park.

I had some really lovely drivers (mostly female drivers whom I would always prefer to male drivers). Occasionally some nightmare rides though.

I don't know why but Thailand is, I believe, only on this side of the gurgler because of Thai women. Cionstruction workers, street sweepers, coffee houses. restaurants, eating shanties... all women.

Many foreigners of my acquaintance consider Thai men to be a waste of protein. Not all, but most, and the ones that aren't are all over 60. Pretty much my view of Thai men in our village.

W

My family loves to comment about how the only reason I like Thai women is because they are submissive.

I literally laugh out loud! "Submissive?! You know nothing about Thai women. They literally run this country." is my retort.

The general may be in charge, but if the Thai women sat down for one day this country would fall off the cliff.

The standard practice with a mototaxi is to negotiate the fare before departure. Did you have an agreement before you took the moto taxi?

Why do you expect the hotlines to be staffed by personnel fluent in English? When I was in Italy, my taxi drivers spoke worse English than the taxi drivers at BKK. Same applies for Seoul, much of France, Russia, Spain, most of Latin America etc. If I were to call the taxi bureau in New York city and were to speak in French or German or Thai, do you think Shaneka who answers would be able to converse with me? How about if I call the bureau in Paris and start complaining in English? Same for Rome. You have lived in Bangkok for 7 years and you still can't speak some Thai? Nice.

W

My family loves to comment about how the only reason I like Thai women is because they are submissive.

I literally laugh out loud! "Submissive?! You know nothing about Thai women. They literally run this country." is my retort.

The general may be in charge, but if the Thai women sat down for one day this country would fall off the cliff.

Submissive? LOL

Not really.

Winnie