Today, at Chiang Mai Immigration

FolkGuitar

Today was the day for our 1-yr retirement renewal. We hired a 'line-stander' so we didn't have to get there early. The 'stander' got there at 4am and secured seats 3 and 4. Two people were there before 4am... That boggles my mind! But I suppose she (and they) needn't have. there were only 15 people on line today, so even Tail-end Charlie will be getting out before 12:00am.

My wife and I were seen together at 9am, the Imm Officer was friendly and polite, stamping both our passports while chatting with us and with other Imm officers.

We were home before 10am. I like that. I'll go back this afternoon to pick up the passports, and that's that for another year.

Just an added note: the lines for Tourist visa extensions and 90-day reports were VERY long. For 90-day reports, mail is the way to go, or AssistThai Visa for 1,500 baht for four reports. Getting there early and standing on line every three months is NOT my cup of tea!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the last couple of years I have done 90-day by post or, like last time, on-line (except the one before last that for one reason or another didn't come off). My solution for that one was to turn up at Promenada immigration at gone 3pm, when all the early birds and panic-merchants have been and gone, and the result was in-an-out in 10 minutes. For those that are paying attention, don't try this yourself, as it will only spoil it for me if I ever am so disorganised again as to have to go to immigration for 90-day.

It's good to see that using a 'ringer' might work. I'll bear that in mind for next year's 1 year visa. Maybe by then we won't even have to employ a ringer, we can just put our towel over the seat. If that were the case, I could do mine at 1am, on the way home from work (You know who you are guys - yes, I do have a work permit) !!

I was at Imm. Prom on Thursday to get a re-entry permit and they're now down to using just one officer to process retirement extensions and back to passing out just 20 queue cards per day. That day he stopped at No. 10 for his lunch break. It seemed like he was going VERY slow with the morning group. Some Japanese retirees (6 or 7) had hired a line sitter to come early and they showed up early to take the line sitters place. The Imm. officer was very methodical with them, taking over an hour in processing the application for one couple. A retired man and wife with dependent status.

So I doubt all 15 on the queue today would have been seen by noon, least the question be asked about why they're limiting the quota to just 20 tickets per day.

Like Nancy my experience was one of slooow service. I was number 12 and got there at 1 pm. His highness returned from lunch 15 minutes after the hour and spent another 10 faffing about with papers and his mobile. In fact in the next 90 minutes he took 5 calls and chatted with many colleagues. The man preceding me was called at 1:30pm. 40 minutes later I was called and sat while he checked every document twice, circled many items and then had a frenzy of stamping. I was then passed to a young lady who had a humongous ledger into which she hand wrote a variety of details taken from my documents. Then her computer went down so it was some little time before that was up and running. I was photographed and then she had systems issues again. I finally left 50 minutes later and himself was just completing the process with a Japanese couple.

Productivity it is not a concept that has entered this man's head.

For the last couple of years I have done 90-day by post or, like last time, on-line (except the one before last that for one reason or another didn't come off). My solution for that one was to turn up at Promenada immigration at gone 3pm, when all the early birds and panic-merchants have been and gone, and the result was in-an-out in 10 minutes. For those that are paying attention, don't try this yourself, as it will only spoil it for me if I ever am so disorganised again as to have to go to immigration for 90-day.

It's good to see that using a 'ringer' might work. I'll bear that in mind for next year's 1 year visa. Maybe by then we won't even have to employ a ringer, we can just put our towel over the seat. If that were the case, I could do mine at 1am, on the way home from work (You know who you are guys - yes, I do have a work permit) !!

That always used to be my trick for 90 days. However this does not always work now and I suggest that you may have been lucky. I have turned up at 3 pm before and been told that all the tickets were gone and that I had to come back the next day.

That always used to be my trick for 90 days. However this does not always work now and I suggest that you may have been lucky. I have turned up at 3 pm before and been told that all the tickets were gone and that I had to come back the next day.

If that is the case, it sounds like my being more organised may be the only alternative left. Failing that, I can see the situation arising where I may have to rise before noon.

I was at Imm. Prom on Thursday to get a re-entry permit and they're now down to using just one officer to process retirement extensions and back to passing out just 20 queue cards per day. That day he stopped at No. 10 for his lunch break. It seemed like he was going VERY slow with the morning group. Some Japanese retirees (6 or 7) had hired a line sitter to come early and they showed up early to take the line sitters place. The Imm. officer was very methodical with them, taking over an hour in processing the application for one couple. A retired man and wife with dependent status.

So I doubt all 15 on the queue today would have been seen by noon, least the question be asked about why they're limiting the quota to just 20 tickets per day.

So you are only left with the only alternative to go "next door" or come back another day.

There were two Japanese people ahead of us on line. One had a one-day overstay, so took a little longer, but not much. The number two applicant took less than 15 minutes. It took the Immigration officer about 20 minutes to process my application and my wife's, then another five-eight minutes to get us both photographed and have the information entered into the ledger books. Four of us in under an hour. So I guess you're correct. That would only be 12 people by noon. Three would have to come back after lunch.

My question is; why is there just one Immigration officer processing the paper work? There was one officer at each desk, processing 90-day reports, tourist visa extensions, and re-entry permits. Certainly Chiang Mai has more than four Immigration officers stationed here.

There were two Japanese people ahead of us on line. One had a one-day overstay, so took a little longer, but not much. The number two applicant took less than 15 minutes. It took the Immigration officer about 20 minutes to process my application and my wife's, then another five-eight minutes to get us both photographed and have the information entered into the ledger books. Four of us in under an hour. So I guess you're correct. That would only be 12 people by noon. Three would have to come back after lunch.

My question is; why is there just one Immigration officer processing the paper work? There was one officer at each desk, processing 90-day reports, tourist visa extensions, and re-entry permits. Certainly Chiang Mai has more than four Immigration officers stationed here.

And the answer is: They want you to use their in-house visa agency and charge you twice.

And the answer is: They want you to use their in-house visa agency and charge you twice.

Exactly, its all about money,and that's why it's never going to change for the better.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

My view visiting Imm is keep it to a minimum

So, that's once a year for the Retirement extension / re-entry visa

With respect to 90 day reporting, try online 15 days ahead, if unsuccessful......then pop it in the post

TM30 have moved to Imm Airport and providing you are up to date, its pretty quick

Also DIY

And if not too delicate to ask, might one know what are the approximate costs for a "line-stander" (btw how do you find one?), for a normal visa agent, and for the "in-house" agent? So far I have been on work permits, but sooner or later -sooner- I might opt for retirement.

i cannt understand why people have problems

i have been here 14yrs and never had a problem

always go about 9oclock and only once had to wait after lunch

which was ok as went shopping

often do re entry always half to 1hr

year before at old place 2hr and still go at 9 or 10

new place 1hr

before usa and japan got special service

sorry no more go to back of class

and dont get grumpy about it

And if not too delicate to ask, might one know what are the approximate costs for a "line-stander" (btw how do you find one?), for a normal visa agent, and for the "in-house" agent? So far I have been on work permits, but sooner or later -sooner- I might opt for retirement.

Stick your head out your door and ask the first gardener, lady picking herbs, ladies walking to work at peoples houses, etc.....if they have a friend or relative who want to make an easy 300 Baht. WHere I live, there would be 2-3 people with someone to fit the job within an hour. Simple.

I do not agree with queue sitter, once a year either DIY or use an agent

The queue sitting is growing, next you'll have ALL 20 retirement seat with sitter

What happens then, we should not do it

Just my view

i cannt understand why people have problems

i have been here 14yrs and never had a problem

always go about 9oclock and only once had to wait after lunch

which was ok as went shopping

often do re entry always half to 1hr

year before at old place 2hr and still go at 9 or 10

new place 1hr

before usa and japan got special service

sorry no more go to back of class

and dont get grumpy about it

I don't get it either. In 10 years I've never gone before about 8:45 and am always out in about 2-3 hours time. Never had a problem ever. Once I had to come back at the end of the day to p/u my passport.

Folkguitar, was that Promenada or Airport? Good to know that there wasn't a huge queue, the problem is that NO ONE KNOWS! it could be 10 in the line or 100 so it still inconveniences everyone by having to get a stand in or queue in the middle of the night. Why can these fools not bring back Queue Online or a telephone booking system? I am sure they enjoy making things as difficult as they can for us.

I sat in the freezing cold in February at Airport from 1:00 AM on a stool in the middle of the carpark all bloody night last year to make sure I was in the queue, absolute hell, their turned out to be about 18 queueing in my extension class by 7:30 AM.

Folkguitar, was that Promenada or Airport? Good to know that there wasn't a huge queue, the problem is that NO ONE KNOWS! it could be 10 in the line or 100 so it still inconveniences everyone by having to get a stand in or queue in the middle of the night. Why can these fools not bring back Queue Online or a telephone booking system? I am sure they enjoy making things as difficult as they can for us.

I sat in the freezing cold in February at Airport from 1:00 AM on a stool in the middle of the carpark all bloody night last year to make sure I was in the queue, absolute hell, their turned out to be about 18 queueing in my extension class by 7:30 AM.

People used to get there when they opened, then it was just before, then it was 7am, then recently 4am. Now that you've told everyone about you being there at 1am, the new time will become midnight.

It seems to me that the ridiculous hour that people are getting there is getting to be as big a problem as the few numbers of applicants being seen.

I know this will not happen, however if no-one goes before normal office hours 0830hrs, the system would work better

NO SITTERS

NO EARLY MORNINGS

I'm going to do that in 4 years when I am 50. That will be in Bangkok. Right now the logistics are a bit too complicated on marriage visa. But yes, screw them.

Exactly, its all about money,and that's why it's never going to change for the better.

regards worgeordie

Plenty of things have changed for the better over the last 20 years. Registering a land sale used to involve waiting all day or paying a 'fee' for a quick service, as most dealings with bureaucracy did.

These days, renewing a work permit, besides being incredibly easy and rarely taking more than 10 minutes with a minimum of paperwork, now has a 2 year renewal option. So, since things can and have improved, there is no reason not to believe that immigration won't too. Unless, of course, always being negative about Thailand suits you.

I know that this is primarily a moaning and complaining and a 'these people are so stupid' forum, but some of us are a bit more open-minded and not as cynical. My apologies for spoiling the fun of those that enjoy a good moan.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

The cost was 300 baht. We use one from a travel agent that caters to the Japanese ex-pats, but I'm sure that if you were to inquire at any of the agencies that offer Visa assistance that they would have someone available. You DO want to be sure to have someone reliable, as they must bring your passport and paperwork in order to get the queue number. They also have one of the interns check your documents to make sure that nothing has been forgotten. Then... you show up at 8:30, retrieve your paperwork, and take your seat. Then you can come here to ThaiVisa and listen to people bitch and moan about using a line-sitter. I guess you've got to suffer if you want to sing the blues... smile.png

We were at Promenada. The agent arrived at 4am and there were two people already on line. This was about as painless as any interaction with bureaucracy could be. We knew what paperwork was needed, and had it. We didn't have to suffer endless hours waiting on line. And the cost was just 300 baht more than the application fees. Nothing hard, nothing uncomfortable, no hoops to jump through....In and out in less time than we usually spend eating dinner!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Waiting time at the airport office was 45 mins for marriage last Wednesday. Came 6 and got the number at 6:45. Been called after lunch and through at 3pm. Not too bad.

I am aghast at reading this bullshit. Just go and live in another country, I know it is not easy for some of you because you have locked yourselves into dominated domesticity. But for those of you who have freedom to move about get out of this wretched country. I have moved permanently to Vietnam and have never regretted doing so.

I am aghast at reading this bullshit. Just go and live in another country, I know it is not easy for some of you because you have locked yourselves into dominated domesticity. But for those of you who have freedom to move about get out of this wretched country. I have moved permanently to Vietnam and have never regretted doing so.

Looks as if you only moved in 'body.' Your mind is still in Thailand posting in ThaiVisa.

The others are working off the applications coming in through 'agents' at the back door for a handsome extra charge.

The past two times doing my 90-day reporting, I have continued to ask them about online reporting. I can never get a straight answer. Go to the front desk and they say go talk to the people giving out the que cards. Go there and they do not provide me any promising information. When I get my turn for the 90-day, I ask the IM Officer and she says to me, don't do it. Come to see me and you will get a smile... Where can I get some answers so I can do my 90-day reporting online?

The online stuff is done centrally from BKK. They have no idea at the local immi what you ask them, that's why they send you around to someone else. They can not say "I don't know", losing face thing, the usual game..