Koreans believe their GPS - get stuck in the wild of Koh Samui

webfact

Koreans believe their GPS - get stuck in the wild of Koh Samui

s1.jpg
Image: Daily News

KOH SAMUI: -- A Korean family of five who believed their GPS ended up stranded in the hills of Koh Samui last night.

Fortunately quick action by police located the hapless family stuck on the hillside in the dark bringing them back to safety reported Daily News.

The visitors raised their wands in thankful "wais" praising the quick actions of authorities and saying they would come back to Samui again.

Sun Ja Kang, 50, one of the five Koreans said that they had rented their Chevrolet Captiva and gone out for a drive. They had followed their GPS but ended up in a deserted area off the road on the Pom Hill in the Mae Nam area on the northern part of the island. As it grew dark and in pouring rain they continued on dirt roads until they were stuck with very little petrol left.

They called the rental company for help who contacted local police who saved the day. The Koreans were found nearly three kilometers from the main hill road.

The family were very grateful to the rescue team praising the kind spirit of the Thais saying that if they get another opportunity they will come back to visit Koh Samui again.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-01

I see hoards of Chinese tourists around town. Usually in tightly packed groups being ushered from a boat to a bus to a fruit stand and the like. Or driving motorbikes as if they literally have no idea that anyone else is on the road and that life has no value whatsoever as drivers dodge and swerve to avoid them. But occasionally I see a smaller group of four or so walking near my GF's shop, smartphones in hand seeking out some Google map destination and obviously in need of help. I don't speak any Chinese (as basically the language is just gurgling the sound "jaojzuh" over and over) but try to gesture in a way that indicates I can help them. Invariably they look at me as if I am handing out AIDS and scurry away saying"jaojzuh" over and over but with intensity and fear in their tone. I can't imagine what they are looking for since they don't spend a yen in anywhere but a predetermined tour guided destination so they must be lost. They do find the beach though. Not for swimming mind you, oh no. Just for elaborately staged wedding photo shoots that would be totally inexplicable to anyone viewing them. Gentlemen in tight white suits with patent leather shoes and ladies in long sequined gowns drenched in sea water as photographer assistants choreograph jumps and imitation breezes by throwing veils and dress trains in the air and then quickly jumping out of the camera shot. All so they can go home and tell their friends and family I fictitious story of how "on the way to the temple our tuk tuk died and we had to run across a beach in our wedding regalia and there must have been some tourists who just happened to snap these photos of us leaping through the air. It was so terrible but so romantic jaojzuh joajzuh jaojzuh...." I gotta learn how to say "bullshit" in Chinese. I'm sure it rhymes with "jaojzuh".

Rant concluded. Have a nice day everyone!

The GPS is probably accurate unless you are in a war zone and the US military has

scrambled the signal. It is the mapping soft ware that is in error. Probably Google

maps in this case. Not sure what mapping software the car drivers were using. The

problem is Google maps and the like are so good and generally so accurate that

people can put blind faith in them regardless what your own eyes tell you. blink.png

Nope. Just in LA last week. Bangladeshi taxi driver missed the last exit to El Segundo going north on the 405. He is screaming no no "GPS say keep going". "How far are you going to go man Ventura? The freaking hotel is behind us!"

I had to tell him how to get off at La Cienega to get back on the freeway going South. Guy was not trying to rip me off just clueless about the area.

Uber drivers no better. Following his app to my hotel one guy say he is "here". I don't see him . I run around like an idiot for 5 minutes he is a one block away behind hotel parked in an alleyway with a bunch of dumpsters and rubbish.

Edited by arunsakda

A while back Japanese tourists in Aus hired a car with GPS and drove into the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they need "this way up" written on them.gigglem.gif

I believe in Australia it would be 'this way down under'

Rode down to Hat Yai the other day. At a drink stop, used google maps to see how far left to go, and the recommendation was the punt (no mention it WAS a punt) into Songkhla, and then through 20 odd (OK, exaggeration) traffic lights and heavy traffic - 18 minutes quicker "with usual traffic" than staying on 408 over the bridges.