Drunk driver who killed motorcyclist has trouble with his memory

webfact

Looked like he was about to do a runner.

It was only the car being stuck that stopped him.

I expect he never even knew he hit the bike as he was drunk sliding backwards into it.

Still irrelevant if motocycles are allowed or not as it doesn't mean you can ram anyone you like.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against the law or not, seems plenty of motorcyclists use the tunnel.

Could it be that the police are to blame for this death?

After all, they obviously don't enforce that law (or any other for that matter).

RIP the bloke, he had zero chance of staying alive.

Hard to believe that this guy was so drunk at that hour in the morning. Even harder to believe was that he was working and his job was delivering foodstuff to schools. One has to be thankful this guy only killed one lone driver whereas he could have killed many children on his route.

Maybe he was an alcoholic.

Many alcoholics would actually be more dangerous if they didn't have that drink in the morning.

Medical fact, or your own indepth research?

As a long term rider of a moped in Thailand I'm shocked to see this, one minute here next minute he is gone and not a thing he could of done.

I think I need to get a car.

Get a car. Time is up. Done well. But... get a car.

^^^Anecdotalised. ~ I went to a public hospital for a foot problem. Yep, motorcycle accident. Hit a dog on the highway. Took a ticket for the osteopathic consult. #178. No joke. That was the queue @ chumphon base 2010 and my guess is 90 percent were for motorcycle related short and long term issues. Two consulting surgeons on that morning duty.

I went private and then went to Mazda and bought a pickup.

Edited by optad

Obviously from the video the motorcyclist did not lose control...the "truck" lost control quickly and slammed into the motorcycle. RIP.

I drive through that tunnel approx once a month....always motorcycles using it although they are supposedly barred. But hey, that typical, motorcycles go where they want to (like completely against traffic) all the time across Thailand with little or no fear of being ticketed by the police since the police are at a checkpoint under a shade tree along the road giving out tickets. Little to no concern for safety in this country--just the general attitude of the population.

Hard to believe that this guy was so drunk at that hour in the morning. Even harder to believe was that he was working and his job was delivering foodstuff to schools. One has to be thankful this guy only killed one lone driver whereas he could have killed many children on his route.

Many alcoholics would actually be more dangerous if they didn't have that drink in the morning.

You're not going to suggest that being an alcoholic be accepted as any sort of defence are you ?

The queues to get registered as one would be the mother of all ' never ending stories '.

wow. Those cars looked like they were going pretty fast. Probably going as fast as the car in front of them with no regard to whatever the speed limit is. Empty space, speed up. But a good lesson here why riding a motorcycle is so dangerous. You are vulnerable and unprotected.

The video is not in real time. Watch to the end and notice the speed the hazard lights flash and the windscreen wipers move. Clearly speeded up.

Judging by what happens to the two motorcyclists following the conditions were very slippery.

The two trailing motorcycles also go down hard. It is clearly visible. They hit their brakes and go down in seconds. There is no skidding or any control at all. Having skidded on bigger bikes and knowing the feeling I wonder about the physics of riding smaller scooters. It seems to me that when I was on a bigger bike I had easier time on balance at speed in a skid.

Re: the OP and this tragedy - no comment. Aint nothing left to say here. Its been said already, but having said that..... Driver of a truck completely loses control, spins around and across a double solid line and kills an oncoming motorcyclist. Driver is tested for intoxication and is proven intoxicated. And has no memory. Lawyers will do better, but - looks like he should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. Circumstances include rain, intoxication, and motorcyclist traveling along disallowed roadway. Other issues could include poor drainage of a roadway (city culpability) and supported by all cyclists falling over at the touch of a brake plus a truck losing control in the first place. I could go on here but should really get back to work.

That was raw. Very saddening. RIP sir.

But -.147 @ 9:00am! delivering snacks to schools!! And this idiocy is not isolated. You have to wonder if Thailand will ever mature.

We don't know if it wasn't from the night before after sleeping it off.

That was raw. Very saddening. RIP sir.

But -.147 @ 9:00am! delivering snacks to schools!! And this idiocy is not isolated. You have to wonder if Thailand will ever mature.

We don't know if it wasn't from the night before after sleeping it off.

That would put him around .25 last drink at 12:00 pm. THat is seriously intoxicated.

Possible, but my guess is that he has topped up in the morning.

It hardly matters. The reading is what it is. Gross culpability cannot be mediated here.

A few years ago the man I worked for was driving on a suspended licenses and he was rear ended at a red light, he turned into the culprite as the lady used the defense if he was not driving he would not have been there she won and he lost. This was in the great state of Texas USA. It happens every where.

"However, the incident is somewhat complicated by the fact that motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law."

No it's not.

Yes it is, they were both breaking the law.

No it's not.

The DRUNK driver was on the WRONG side of the road. Not complicated at all.

wow. Those cars looked like they were going pretty fast. Probably going as fast as the car in front of them with no regard to whatever the speed limit is. Empty space, speed up. But a good lesson here why riding a motorcycle is so dangerous. You are vulnerable and unprotected.

Even when wearing leathers, boots, gloves and a quality lid

Let's face it, Thai drivers, especially the ones in their large (the big I am) pickups, drive around as if they are the only things on the road and for sure they don't think about us vulnerable buggers on two wheels, they just smash their way through life and we have to hope that we never find ourselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I detest the B******s, but refuse to join them, as I love riding around in the warm weather, however, I do try and avoid being out in the wet at ALL costs, as the chances of one of them getting you and ending up as another RIP statistic, increases exponentially.

RIP poor guy,

KB

In my opinion it is a murder case. Nothing less

Well actually there are 2 cases

First the m/c should not have been in the tunnel.OK law broken normal fine and on your way.Unfortunately the poor bugger was killed so case dismissed.

Second case the pick-up driver was over the limit and killed a man.Heavy fine and imprisonment.Problem solved and maybe deterrent to others---- that is if all future cases are treated the same

As a long term rider of a moped in Thailand I'm shocked to see this, one minute here next minute he is gone and not a thing he could of done.

^^^Anecdotalised. ~ I went to a public hospital for a foot problem. Yep, motorcycle accident. Hit a dog on the highway. Took a ticket for the osteopathic consult. #178. No joke. That was the queue @ chumphon base 2010 and my guess is 90 percent were for motorcycle related short and long term issues. Two consulting surgeons on that morning duty.

Is it not strange that instead of people doing all they can to PREVENT accidents, they change modes of transport? Accidents will and do still happen regardless of the form of transport you use.

Edited by chrissables

A girl drunk behind the wheel kills three and injures many, gets 2 years, maybe, depending on how good her lawyer is.

A man drunk behind the wheel kills one, my guess, fine and community service.

Scenario:

Drunk Thai behind wheel

Drives pick up over the speed limit

Got his licence from cousin who works at Transport department (2000B)

Brother taught him to drive in one day.

Tunnel road wet and slippery from rain.

Motor cycle illegally in tunnel.

Road law almost non existing in Thailand, etc,etc,etc.

Outcome:

Life goes on in Thailand, same SH!!!!!!!T different day.

Interesting quote. " Motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law". I counted quite a few in there. Also, this will be used as his 'Get out of ail free card'. If the motorcyclist hadn't been in the tunnel, the accident wouldn't have happened.

At Ao Udom (Chon Buri) there is a flyover bridge with 2 lanes in each direction. The road approaching the bridge has 4 lanes on each side. There IS a sign forbidding motor cycles to use the bridge but it is over 100 metres before the bridge and on the right hand side, mounted on the central reservation. How then, is a motorcyclist driving toward the left side of the road supposed to see this sign. The road is VERY busy with very many large lorries. Motor cyclists, I imagine, are too busy trying to stay alive to turn their eyes to the far right to look for the sign. Maybe this is the case here (and maybe not knowing the Thai penchant for not obeying signs anyway). My point being that many road signs are placed in a position where they can easily be not noticed.

The video shows what respect Thais have for the law, almost none!! As it says riding a motor bike in the tunnel is against the law,, on the video there is an endless stream of bikes using the tunnel,, and some with no helmets..

Until Thais start to take some notice of the laws or the cops start enforcing them with penalties that hurt,, (not a 300B fine) confiscate their bike for a month, plus a heavy fine. Then they will soon learn...

Until then Thailand will continue to have the second highest number of road deaths in the world..

Amazing Thailand !!

Is it not strange that instead of people doing all they can to PREVENT accidents, they change modes of transport? Accidents will and do still happen regardless of the form of transport you use.

Strange maybe but fact is if there were no motorcycles there would be less deaths. Thais are lunatics in cars, I agree and is no excuse for what we saw but that vision of the bike going under his car explains Thai road realities.

Your argument, everyone driving with utmost caution, is laudable ... commendable but pragmatically many 'lifetimes' away from happening. I only have one life to enjoy hence I cannot trust in others.

Drive only now in Thailand and accept a different set of percentiles.

It appears that he tried to move/drive his vehicle AFTER the incident, then walked out of screen shot..... As opposed to getting out of his vehicle and trying to help the poor sole that he just taken out. I was told that if I am ever in an accident and can walk or crawl to get off the road as Thais will try to run you over again to kill you, and drive off as it appears this lovely gentleman tried to do. Stay classy Thailand...

Medical fact, or your own indepth research?

One of my local builders drinks Laokao every day, and does a pretty good job, but if he hasn't had his morning, hourly shot, his work is disasterous.

You may be unfamiliar with the footy watching / drinking / gambling culture here.

I used to drive every day from Chonburi to Rayong, out in the morning, back in the evening. There is a large ditch between the carriageways on the 36. The frequency of seeing a still warm pick-up truck smashed, sometimes upside-down, in the ditch in the morning increased exponentially on days following Champions League and Internationals.

Not saying this guy had been watching football but the drinking all night culture remains a key part of the culture here.

Expect a lot more drunken morning car crashes during Euro 2016.

Back to this incident. Another family lost a member in his 20's due to the selfish actions of a drunk driver. Another tragedy. Very sad.