What Snake Is This?

While out mountain biking up in the hills of Mae Taeng yesterday, I saw this guy. I’ve never seen this snake before, nor can I find it on ‘tinternet’. Sorry not a great photo, but as I didn’t know what it was I thought best not get to close to him…..

post-69255-0-70987400-1464841594_thumb.jpost-69255-0-26321800-1464841597_thumb.jSo any ideas?

Most unusual coloring. Was it agitated?

Agitated, no, in fact the opposite, it moved slowly, but the temperature may have had an effect, it was quite cool up in the hills, overcast and trying to rain, the temp must have been no more than around 18 C, It was on a mud bank and was not in a great hurry to get away, it went in to a hole… and that was that.

The pink one-eyed trouser snake, normally found on Walking Street Pattaya?

Seriously, what a lovely looking snake. I can't find anything on the internet either.

Interesting.

Orange bellied ground snake,looks similar.

A possibility.

I'm sure that's not the one I saw.

I have sent the details of to; [email protected] I will post any info I get back.....

Please let us know. If it was a red rat snake they are only found wild in one small area and are quite rare I think.

I received a reply from the snake guy this morning.

He wrote;

"It was probably the Oreocryptophis porphyraceus, "Red Mountain Racer" they are about the only snake with a cherry red color, and the shape of the body is about the same. They do have a pattern, but perhaps because the snake was moving, you couldn't see it clearly. Sometimes the pattern is very light too.
The light head bothers me, but this is my very best guess, and the consensus of a few friends that commented on the post at the forum too."