Tourist visa rules

finy

Just have a few quick questions if someone wouldn't mind answering any.

1 - Is it true you can't get a license on tourist visa? If so, what do you do?

2 - If I could still get an int driving permit, could I have bike papers put in my name?

3 - I only have a car license. Can I still use a bike 125cc and below on it?

Thank you.

1.You can get a 2 year temporary drivers license on a tourist visa but not a 5 year licence with a letter of residence from immigration, as I found out last week.

You bring your letter of residence along with your passport and current valid license to the issuing office, pay your fee and viola, you're done.

2. No

3.No

Edited by Rayk

Cool, I'll do bike test and find some way to get temp license.

Can you get fined by traffic police if bike isn't in your name, or just say it belongs to gf? In other words, what problems would you face if your name wasn't on bike papers?

Cheers

Can you get fined by traffic police if bike isn't in your name, or just say it belongs to gf? In other words, what problems would you face if your name wasn't on bike papers?

Cheers

Why shouldn't you be allowed to drive a bike that is owned by another person?

(rental, family, friend)

Or did I misunderstand your question?

Regarding post #2, question 2:

Are you sure that you can not own a vehicle without having a DL (not riding on your own e.g.)?

Quite different from other countries.

Q3 is a clear no.

Getting a One Year License on a Tourist Visa is Not Easy and often depends on Who you may know that can help you?

It's a two year license now and in many places (e.g. Phuket) it's dead simple/easy. As always in Thailand, your experience will differ depending on where you go.

Cheers

Why shouldn't you be allowed to drive a bike that is owned by another person?

(rental, family, friend)

Or did I misunderstand your question?

I just presumed it would be classed as a stolen bike unless you could prove you owned it.

So they could maybe detain it until the person with their name on the blue card shows up at the station with you.

I just want to do everything legally.

I've used a bike in Thailand years ago and was always getting pulled over and sent to pay fines, which was fair enough, but I can't be bothered with the crap if I start riding again.

In regards to question 3, the only reason I asked is because elsewhere on the internet it says a small scooter isn't classed as a motorbike.

Getting a One Year License on a Tourist Visa is Not Easy and often depends on Who you may know that can help you?

It's a two year license now and in many places (e.g. Phuket) it's dead simple/easy. As always in Thailand, your experience will differ depending on where you go.

Good to know.

It would likely be Chiang Mai if anyone has specific knowledge from there.

1.You can get a 2 year temporary drivers license on a tourist visa but not a 5 year licence with a letter of residence from immigration, as I found out last week.

You bring your letter of residence along with your passport and current valid license to the issuing office, pay your fee and viola, you're done.

2. No

3.No

that, without trying to be overly difficult, depends entirely on where you are applying for your license and who will serve you.

in this country everyone makes up their own rules or interprets them according to how they slept last night.

the very first thing to learn about thailand is that you have to re - learn just about everything again every day.

i am still waiting to get my thai license...

I just presumed it would be classed as a stolen bike unless you could prove you owned it.

The fact alone that you ride a vehicle that you don't own is far from a sufficient for this assumption.

Millions of vehicles on finance (leasing companies), rent, from friends and family on the roads.

Daughter drives my car occasionally, I driver her old car occasionally.

Everybody rides the scooter that is just available.

In regards to question 3, the only reason I asked is because elsewhere on the internet it says a small scooter isn't classed as a motorbike.

The only class of vehicles that are allowed without DL might be electrical "bikes" (not bicycles) and vehicles for handicapped.

I might be wrong.

The only difference between small and big that I know:

"small" bikes can be legally used by 15 yr? old WITH a license.

Certain big bikes only for 20 yr up.

When I did my bike license (from scratch) I sat with some "minors" (younger than 18).

I forgot the exact numbers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

This makes total sense, tourists normally don't hang around for 5 years.

But they might be coming once a year to Thailand, so why have them reapply every two years? There's no adventage, just creates more work.

Seems to me they half-way understood that, hence the increase to two years.

Edited by eisfeld

But they might be coming once a year to Thailand, so why have them reapply every two years? There's no adventage, just creates more work.

Then you can just use an international drivers license.

1 - Is it true you can't get a license on tourist visa? If so, what do you do?

Ans...You can but some DLT offices will do it some won't so find one that will.

2 - If I could still get an int driving permit, could I have bike papers put in my name?

Ans...No would be my answer but if you frequent Thailand best to get a Thai DL in any case.

3 - I only have a car license. Can I still use a bike 125cc and below on it?

Ans 1...No.

Ans 2...You can use a valid photo-card type full driving license from another country if it is in English and has the categorizes in written English you can drive up to 90 days.

Some other country driving licenses may need to be accompanied with a IDP.

Carry a copy of your passport and the page showing your entry date.

Which also doesn't have a long validity time. What's the advantage to expiring these licenses so quickly?

The International Driving Permit I can understand, they want to prevent you from driving indefinately using a foreign license.

But the local one? I can't think of a single reason apart from xenophobia.

Which also doesn't have a long validity time. What's the advantage to expiring these licenses so quickly?

The International Driving Permit I can understand, they want to prevent you from driving indefinately using a foreign license.

But the local one? I can't think of a single reason apart from xenophobia.

People living here get 5 years, same as Thais. Is that xenophobic?

No and nobody suggested that. What I said is that tourists who make a driving license here, get only 2 years and there's no reason I can come up with apart from xenophobia. I'll gladly change my mind if someone can come up with a good reason why 2 years validity is better than 5 years in those cases. Can you?

No and nobody suggested that. What I said is that tourists who make a driving license here, get only 2 years and there's no reason I can come up with apart from xenophobia. I'll gladly change my mind if someone can come up with a good reason why 2 years validity is better than 5 years in those cases. Can you?

A bit over the top to use that long word biggrin.png a 2 year DL license is what you get as first issue now instead of a 1 year in previous years whether Thai or Alien after that at the next renewal they get 5 year DL.

Some DLT's may only give Aliens on tourist visa another 2 year it's just the way things are done, no big deal. smile.png

A bit over the top to use that long word biggrin.png a 2 year DL license is what you get as first issue now instead of a 1 year in previous years whether Thai or Alien after that at the next renewal they get 5 year DL.

Some DLT's may only give Aliens on tourist visa another 2 year it's just the way things are done, no big deal. smile.png

As far as I know, all tourists get only 2 years, even for the renewal. Is there a DLT that issues 5 year licenses for tourists?

Your argument is "it is what it is so that's fine"? Not a very strong argument smile.png

As far as I know, all tourists get only 2 years, even for the renewal. Is there a DLT that issues 5 year licenses for tourists?

Your argument is "it is what it is so that's fine"? Not a very strong argument smile.png

Correct but it's not an argument that Thai DLT's do things differently all over Thailand so there may be one that will issue 5 year DL on a tourist visa by mistake or otherwise, wouldn't surprise me at all.

why do drivers licenses expire at all? i did my german moped / car / truck licence in the '70s and this license is still valid today.

having to renew licenses without associated skill assessments are nothing but a money grap.

australia does the same thing, every 5 years i get slugged A$150+ to have my photo put on a new piece of plastic.

why do drivers licenses expire at all? i did my german moped / car / truck licence in the '70s and this license is still valid today.

having to renew licenses without associated skill assessments are nothing but a money grap.

australia does the same thing, every 5 years i get slugged A$150+ to have my photo put on a new piece of plastic.

Do you have a Thai license and have you already renewed it?

When you go back after it expires, before you get the new one, you have to do the eye tests and reflex tests again.

They should also do this in Europe, too many old people on the road there who can't see #### anymore.

When you go back after it expires, before you get the new one, you have to do the eye tests and reflex tests again.

They should also do this in Europe, too many old people on the road there who can't see #### anymore.

Hence not all Thai DLT's the same on renewal of Thai DL me's just had to go and sit in a room for 1 hr and watch a movie which couldn't see properly cause only had reading glasses. whistling.gif

sorry, late reply.

no i don't have a thai license as my local ltd refuses to issue one to tourists. got a new visa now, will try again.

motor accident statistics do not seem to support your assertion that countries with re - testing regimes have lower traffic accident rates.

same goes for all those 'too many old people... who can't see #### anymore', who, at least on paper and according to their insurance premiums, appear to have a much lower number of traffic accidents than their younger peers.