Tourist visa rules

finy

why do drivers licenses expire at all? i did my german moped / car / truck licence in the '70s and this license is still valid today.

having to renew licenses without associated skill assessments are nothing but a money grap.

australia does the same thing, every 5 years i get slugged A$150+ to have my photo put on a new piece of plastic.

Do you have a Thai license and have you already renewed it?

When you go back after it expires, before you get the new one, you have to do the eye tests and reflex tests again.

They should also do this in Europe, too many old people on the road there who can't see #### anymore.

sorry, late reply.

no i don't have a thai license as my local ltd refuses to issue one to tourists. got a new visa now, will try again.

motor accident statistics do not seem to support your assertion that countries with re - testing regimes have lower traffic accident rates.

same goes for all those 'too many old people... who can't see #### anymore', who, at least on paper and according to their insurance premiums, appear to have a much lower number of traffic accidents than their younger peers.

Where is your local DLT? Why not try another one?

why do drivers licenses expire at all? i did my german moped / car / truck licence in the '70s and this license is still valid today.

having to renew licenses without associated skill assessments are nothing but a money grap.

australia does the same thing, every 5 years i get slugged A$150+ to have my photo put on a new piece of plastic.

Do you have a Thai license and have you already renewed it?

When you go back after it expires, before you get the new one, you have to do the eye tests and reflex tests again.

They should also do this in Europe, too many old people on the road there who can't see #### anymore.

sorry, late reply.

no i don't have a thai license as my local ltd refuses to issue one to tourists. got a new visa now, will try again.

motor accident statistics do not seem to support your assertion that countries with re - testing regimes have lower traffic accident rates.

same goes for all those 'too many old people... who can't see #### anymore', who, at least on paper and according to their insurance premiums, appear to have a much lower number of traffic accidents than their younger peers.

Where is your local DLT? Why not try another one?

that phanom. honestly, i thought i HAD to go to this one as it is 'my home' town. just like the ampour.

Always check the EXCLUSIONS on your travel insurance, as they vary. If you dont have a motorbike licence for your home country it is highly unlikely you will be covered. Some insist on a valid bike licence in the holiday country also. Most will not insure over 125cc and some wont insure bikes at all.

@ eisfeld....................

a true tourist doesn't need a 5 yr license( they can drive on their home country license for 3 mths ).

In the first instance you now get a 2yr license...............................

if the person visits thailand "regularly"........say every year.......is there anything that would stop him/her applying for the 5 yr license at the end of the initial 2 yr license ????

They would just have to time their trip to Thailand to match the date of expiry of their initial license. All they would need is a letter of residency from an immigration office.

@ eisfeld....................

a true tourist doesn't need a 5 yr license( they can drive on their home country license for 3 mths ).

In the first instance you now get a 2yr license...............................

if the person visits thailand "regularly"........say every year.......is there anything that would stop him/her applying for the 5 yr license at the end of the initial 2 yr license ????

They would just have to time their trip to Thailand to match the date of expiry of their initial license. All they would need is a letter of residency from an immigration office.

1. Not everyone has a license in their home country

2. What you said aboout tourists being able to use their home country license for 3 months is not correct for all cases. Some could use an IDP but then they have to renew every year.

3. "is there anything that would stop him/her applying for the 5 yr license at the end of the initial 2 yr license ????" - Uhm yea, how about Thai regulations? They wont get a 5 year one if they are tourists.

All these arguments again are not saying what advantage a 2 year license has over a 5 year one for anyone involved.

PS: your fullstop and questionmark keys seem to have a malfunction smile.png

Which also doesn't have a long validity time. What's the advantage to expiring these licenses so quickly?

The International Driving Permit I can understand, they want to prevent you from driving indefinately using a foreign license.

But the local one? I can't think of a single reason apart from xenophobia.

The 2 year license has nothing to due with being an expat or Thai, both only get a 2 year license to start. Then when you renew it, the license is for 5 years.

Which also doesn't have a long validity time. What's the advantage to expiring these licenses so quickly?

The International Driving Permit I can understand, they want to prevent you from driving indefinately using a foreign license.

The 2 year license has nothing to due with being an expat or Thai, both only get a 2 year license to start. Then when you renew it, the license is for 5 years.

Tourists don't get 5 year licenses on renewal which is what is being argued about. The topic reads "Tourist visa rules".

Tourists don't get 5 year licenses on renewal which is what is being argued about. The topic reads "Tourist visa rules".

I was replying to the comment about being xenophobia which is not correct as it is the same process for a expat or a Thai that is living in Thailand.

If someone is on a tourist visa then just by the definition of Tourist they will not be living in Thailand long term so no need for a 5 year license.

I was replying to the comment about being xenophobia which is not correct as it is the same process for a expat or a Thai that is living in Thailand.

If someone is on a tourist visa then just by the definition of Tourist they will not be living in Thailand long term so no need for a 5 year license.

Yes, fair play - the final sentence reads like everyone can get a 5 year license, yes, Thais suffer the same as westerners - although after two years they just show up with their ID card and get a full ticket, whereas we have the pleasure of a acquiring a certificate of residence.

The 2 year probation period is a bit of a joke really, it's not like you ride around with a P plate or an orange jersey.

Edited by recom273

Yes, Which DLT you go to is very important. I went to Samut Sakon (an hour from BKK going to Hua Hin) with an OA (retire) visa, residency cert etc "and" they wanted my Australian license translated into Thai. Gave up on that DLT, drove into BKK, arrived at 3pm and had a license at 330pm.

My understanding of the ownership rules is, for your name on the papers, the DLT will require a Resident cert and you can only get that on a long term visa.

This is Thailand ,everything's for sale

Not sure if you can still do it but all the driving schools in Phuket used to have B5,000, copy of passport and some photos , come back tommorrow and pick up your license. Dont have to set foot in a DLT.

Q#2 : Yes.

You can put a vehicle in your name even if you don't have any DL.

Vehicle in your name requires a resident certificate, which you cant get on a tourist visa.

I think I'm correct in saying each DLT will only issue a license if you are within its catchment area.

I recently did my 5 year license in Chon Buri and my address was Samut sakon, no problem.

Vehicle in your name requires a resident certificate, which you cant get on a tourist visa.

sorry you are wrong you can get a RC on a visa exempt had a good few myself on tourist visa's. Also Two months ago took a friend to immigration in KK he was on a tousist visa SETV thing and needed a RC put our address down on form no problems at all.

incorrect. i bought a new vehicle while on tourist visa with my proof of address being the tm30.

but as stated many times before, every office and every officer in thailand makes his/ her own rules.

sorry you are wrong you can get a RC on a visa exempt had a good few myself on tourist visa's. Also Two months ago took a friend to immigration in KK he was on a tousist visa SETV thing and needed a RC put our address down on form no problems at all.

This is the stuff that drives me crazy, different rules at different Immigration offices. My local immigration office wont even give me a RC on my OA retire visa unless I bring in the owner of my condo. I kid you not. Luckily, immigration at Pattaya isnt to far away, so I end up there for everything.

Right and wrong.

Here in Bangkok you dont get a RC without having completed at least one 90 day confirmation of your address. So you need to have some kind of long term visa....

Quote button not working.

I have used both jomtiem pattaya and KK to get RC both on visa exempt and as stated KK on the new SETV. Yes I see not all immigration office do the same but it's not right to say you can not get one.

Best answer ask or ring your local immigration office for advise

when I needed one I always take the Mrs with me makes things a whole lot easier in my experience.

Now I don't one as I have yellow book and so far everyone from Immigration to local amphur to car licensing offices have accepted it without problem.

I remember first time they wanted condo owners I'd and house book copies explained he refused to give them to me, they phoned him and from what I gather they told him to send documentation needed now to them or they would fine him for not reporting am alien living in his condo.

Edited by jeab1980

This is the stuff that drives me crazy, different rules at different Immigration offices. My local immigration office wont even give me a RC on my OA retire visa unless I bring in the owner of my condo. I kid you not. Luckily, immigration at Pattaya isnt to far away, so I end up there for everything.

don't let it get to you, just accept it as something THAI.

you can also make it work in your favor, having several options to solve your issues. eventually you will find a way to get it done.

if you receive an official NO in a country like i.e. germany, that is the end of the road.

Regarding post #2, question 2:

Are you sure that you can not own a vehicle without having a DL (not riding on your own e.g.)?

Quite different from other countries.

Q3 is a clear no.

When my wife and I purchased a motorbike at the Yamaha dealer, they did not ask to see a license.

Not sure if you can still do it but all the driving schools in Phuket used to have B5,000, copy of passport and some photos , come back tommorrow and pick up your license. Dont have to set foot in a DLT.

Why would you pay 5000 baht for something that costs 100 baht?

I woudnt do it, But for some, no paperwork, tests, queuing, trip to the DLT, is very appealing.

I know guys here that pay ridiculous amounts of money to lawyers to do there visa extension, 90 day etc.

I woudnt do it, But for some, no paperwork, tests, queuing, trip to the DLT, is very appealing.

I know guys here that pay ridiculous amounts of money to lawyers to do there visa extension, 90 day etc.

3000 bht is what a "friend" paid an agent to get him his car/bike licence. Which is money well spent the "friend" tells me as he has never passed either test in any country. So now "friend has both legal documents to drive car and bike. So maybe that's why others use an agent !!!

@jeab 1980

I hope your friend will be just as happy when he has a serious accident due to his lack of knowledge of driving rules/regulations/conditions in "any country".... and if the 3000 bht will still seem like such a good deal.

Perhaps your friend might ask his " agent" to obtain for him a PADI scuba diving license next.

I just cant understand why people want to circumvent what are fairly simple requirements.

@jeab 1980

I hope your friend will be just as happy when he has a serious accident due to his lack of knowledge of driving rules/regulations/conditions in "any country".... and if the 3000 bht will still seem like such a good deal.

Perhaps your friend might ask his " agent" to obtain for him a PADI scuba diving license next.

I just cant understand why people want to circumvent what are fairly simple requirements.

I do not say it is right what farang friend has done. I was saying that's why people use an agent.

farang has driven for many years now no accident.

why would you say scuba diving !!!!!. Never rain that much