Moving hard disks in laptop ?

bow

My old benq laptop has tree hard disks. The main, primary © disk has crashed or something - it very often refuses to start up or shuts down by itself during the startup process.

The laptop is so old that I don't want to waste money on buying a new hard disk. But is it possible to physically remove the current C disk and put one of the other disks in its place ?

Does the lappie really have three physical drives? Or is it one drive with three partitions?

Have a look in the CMOS setup, that should tell you the drive type(s) you have.

I think it does, actually. I didn't want a benq, but the sales guy was desperate to sell me one so he said that it was possible to put in two extra hard disks and that he would do that for free if I bought this specific benq. He could have lied -this is Thailand - but in this case I don't think he did. (100 GB + 182 GB and 182 GB)

(Busy, busy, but back on Monday.)

I think it does, actually. I didn't want a benq, but the sales guy was desperate to sell me one so he said that it was possible to put in two extra hard disks and that he would do that for free if I bought this specific benq. He could have lied -this is Thailand - but in this case I don't think he did. (100 GB + 182 GB and 182 GB)

(Busy, busy, but back on Monday.)

That sounds like one HDD with 3 partitions,so he either lied to you or did not explain

it correctly,new HDD are not too expensive,give the laptop a clean up inside and get

a new HDD.

You could open it up and see if it physically has 3 HDD's

regards worgeordie

Give the full model number. You wouldn't expect someone to diagnose a problem with a Ford just by knowing that it was a Ford. What are you thinking?

Yes, you can install/reinstall the OS to just the C: drive. Come up with some clear details and we'll see what can be done.

Yeah , 3 HDD's in a laptop is possible but improbable . Mine has the second in the dvd bay. Some have 2 HDD bays + dvd , so it is possible , but 180 GB are not standard >>> partitioned.

Buy a new 500 GB : 1590 B at JIB.

You're running Windows, right?

Bring up Device Manager, see what is listed under 'disk drives.'

If you don't know how to get to Device Manager look it up, for your version of Windows. Very useful.

I'd buy an SSD and if the computer dies, it can be installed into a new laptop. I have an old netbook and put an SSD in it. Without the SSD the netbook was very slow. I have a laptop and if the old netbook dies, I will put the drive in the laptop. I have never seen a laptop with more than one hard drive.