Bad experience with Kasikorn Bank

baywatch82

I paid for the training, that is work related, by my thai debit card 630 USD.
I got receipt from the training company stating 630 USD.

I got an SMS message that about 23k baht has been taken from my bank account.

Now, my workplace, want to refund me the money, as this training is work related. They asking me for a receipt. I gave them the receipt for 630 USD (from the training company), but they said, I should give them the receipt in baht, because they don't know what should be the exchange rate to refund me. Obviously showing them SMS is not enough, because they need it on the paper for the accounting.

I thought, it would be a good idea to go to KSK bank (Nimman branch) and get the receipt from them.

They gave me just a statement that 23k was withdrawn from my account, without ANY details.

I told them to give me receipt with details of this single transaction, and most importantly to state who is receiver of this money.

Should be easy right ?
No, not at all. Officer (actually 3 of them) were calling different offices for about 30 min, including had office, asking how they can issue me a receipt for that single transaction with details (the only detail that I actually needed is amount in baht an who is receiver).

Ended up, that I need to wait for this "detailed statement" 7 days and paid 200 baht. REALLY KSK ?

If you gave them an acceptable receipt for $630 USD and a slip from the bank on the same day for 23,000 baht (stapled together, of course) and they didn't accept it, I'd lay your wrath on your company's accounting group, not K-Bank.

If you gave them an acceptable receipt for $630 USD and a slip from the bank on the same day for 23,000 baht (stapled together, of course) and they didn't accept it, I'd lay your wrath on your company's accounting group, not K-Bank.

Exactly...our weekly "I bank the hard way" contribution at TV CM. Did you get a receipt for your receipt? Any debit card that I've ever seen will put the payee on the statement. Next.

Exactly...our weekly "I bank the hard way" contribution at TV CM. Did you get a receipt for your receipt? Any debit card that I've ever seen will put the payee on the statement. Next.

To be fair, in 5 years of banking with K-Bank (debit card on a passbook account), I've never received a statement. I didn't ask for them to send statements. I do get a text every time the card's used, but the payee only shows up on some of the texts. Sometimes. it's just the amount on the text, or such a cryptic description of the payee as to be useless. I just save the texts to keep up with the balance.

Once I had to do something similar with Bangkok Bank -- get some details about a transaction and it was the same drill -- they had to request the information from the "home office", i.e. Bangkok and it took seven days. No charge, but I had a feeling there probably would have been had they not known me well.

I agree, the problem lies with your company. If you're paying for something in USD, then perhaps you should be using a U.S.-issued credit/debit card. Actually, I use one for expenses related to a Thai organization where I turn in expense receipts and as mentioned, we just use the published exchange rate on the day the expense occurred. Never had a problem from the outside accountant we use.

Maybe you should explain the m.r.ns at your company how exchange rates work...

For future payments you could apply for a credit card at Kasikorn. If you have a job and workpermit that should not be to difficult.

The credit card has much more information on the payments and all is taken from your account in Baht. So I can see at online banking how much I paid for a train ticket in Europe in both Euro and Baht and from where to where I went.

This online statement does't have any detail also, just an amount.

Your company just want a receipt with the amount in Thai, so make one for them.

Attach a copy of the original receipt showing the US$ amount and put whatever rate is applicable for you to 'recover' the full amount you paid out.

They just need a piece of paper with the details on.

I understand the guy, personally I don't like to go to the bank in Thailand, often waiting long in que, they know little can not descide anything themself, always have to call ... and anything you do, have to pay, nothing free, while we all give them a lot of money on wich they use to become rich.. and often not friendly

I remember in europe .. no till little waiting, friendly staff, and give you a lot free, I send even money to thailand free ..

the only bank here that give more friendly service is TMB.

I understand the guy, personally I don't like to go to the bank in Thailand, often waiting long in que, they know little can not descide anything themself, always have to call ... and anything you do, have to pay, nothing free, while we all give them a lot of money on wich they use to become rich.. and often not friendly

I remember in europe .. no till little waiting, friendly staff, and give you a lot free, I send even money to thailand free ..

the only bank here that give more friendly service is TMB.

The problem with TMB is that they have the worst exchange rates for foreign currency in Thailand.

Just now on the Thai Baht Exchange app, all banks are between 39.54 - 39.40 for Euro and TMB gives 38.67 Baht.

The Ops point is well taken- the bank should have immediately looked in its computer and printed out a detailed record of the transaction- rate of exchange on the date and payee details. Why should anyone have to wait 7 days for a simple transaction record and then have to pay for it. Absolutely poor service and ridiculous bureacracy. Thai banks have no concept of service or ease of access to records. Their only interest is how much they can squeeze out of their customers.

The Ops point is well taken- the bank should have immediately looked in its computer and printed out a detailed record of the transaction- rate of exchange on the date and payee details. Why should anyone have to wait 7 days for a simple transaction record and then have to pay for it. Absolutely poor service and ridiculous bureacracy. Thai banks have no concept of service or ease of access to records. Their only interest is how much they can squeeze out of their customers.

Ahhh, thanks for understanding !

I really did not request even an exchange rate, Only thing I wanted was an amount in Thai baht, payer name, and receiver name on the paper. It is really basic information, and they were not able to produce it !

And I disagree this is my company's fault. Of course they need an evidence for accounting. Otherwise, I could just take 30k from ATM machine on the same day, print statement, and give it to them (would have an amount, Payer... but no receiver).

All Thai banks are like that. I had an account at the main branch of Siam commercial Bank in Bangkok. I was occasionally transferring funds from my bank in Canada and then transferring smaller amounts to my Thai mother in law to pay for expenses building a house.

I ran out of money, my wife cheated on me and left, and her mother refused to give me access to the house or contents. I went to the bank to get a statement showing all the money I transferred to the account of my ex-mother in law, ...... the statement showed the dates and amounts but not where the money was sent! ..... I lost everything ....

WELCOME TO THAILAND!!

For what it's worth, any decent accountant knows that for the situation you describe they just contact their bank and ask for an e.mail or a document with a bank letterhead quoting the exchange rate for that day. Then very very simple calculation.

For what it's worth, any decent accountant knows that for the situation you describe they just contact their bank and ask for an e.mail or a document with a bank letterhead quoting the exchange rate for that day. Then very very simple calculation.

Every month for 10+ years I gave my accountant in Bangkok expense receipts for meals, services, hotels, travel etc., in at least 3 currencies, often more, often obscure currencies. She handled it every time with easy, not difficult at all.

It's not down to the bank to issue you with a receipt; that's the responsibility of the service provider, who evidently charged in USD. I should have thought your company would settle for an official notice of FX rate, dated and timed.

I agree, but money was taken from my bank account, and bank should know how much and where, right ?

Also, I might be wrong here, but is it not KSK bank, who earned money already on this transaction, by sending 630 USB by their exchange rate ?

Edited by baywatch82

The staff in Thai banks are terrible. They don't have the faintest clue how to do simple tasks. They are paid low wages and deserve it. Working in a bank is for the idiots who finished high school but are too stupid to get another job.

The management in Thai banks are terrible. They don't have a clue. Managers are sourced from the staff, so it is no surprise. They are also lazy.

The big bosses in Thai banks are terrible. The spreads on deposits verses loans in banks are terrible.

As a foreigner I try to remain cool and polite with Thais at all times, but not in banks. I deliberately try to make them lose face by asking them question after question that they should know the answer to, but don't. If two staff give me different answers, which usually happens, I bring them together and point this out until one of them admits they are wrong. There has been more than one time it turned out they were both wrong. Then I ask them about their training. And sometimes their wages.

Maybe I am sick in the head. But I find it satisfying. I hate them and they hate me.

This post is not about money as some people assume. Yes, I can afford 200 baht, really.

This is about common sens and experience.

Whatever you say, that is my company fault etc, you should re-think again :

How it is possible, that bank is not able to give me simple confirmation of basic transaction, on the spot and for free.