Contract found at Tiger Temple may connect abbot to illegal wildlife trade with Laos

snoop1130

Contract found at Tiger Temple may connect abbot to illegal wildlife trade with Laos
Coconuts Bangkok

rsz_2016-06-02t103545z_1_lynxnpec510k6_r

Monk and tiger at Tiger Temple before last week's raid. Photo: Reuters.

THAILAND -- Wildlife officials today unearthed a document that may tie the Tiger Temple to a wildlife trafficking ring that supplies tigers to the black market.

Adisorn Nuchdamrong, deputy director-general of Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) alerted the police before announcing that authorities are in possession of a photocopy of a contract for breeding tigers that they found during the raid, and subsequent removal, of 147 tigers from the temple last week.

Adisorn noted that the contract was signed by the temple’s abbot, Phra Wisutthi Sarathera, and another party in Laos. The contract is another sign that the temple could have been involved with the illegal tiger trade, according to the Bangkok Post.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/06/07/contract-found-tiger-temple-may-connect-abbot-illegal-wildlife-trade-laos

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-06-07

They or he had a contract to illegally supply tigers and tiger parts?

The shredder must have been broken.

Word has it he's been in Indonesia and returned but he's been sick.

What is it with these head monks? Must be the diets.

He's supposedly fronting up later this week to tell his side. Not holding my breath but with all the crazy things going on with monks these last few weeks he might just shock us all and turn up.

Indeed.

Tiger Temple investigators find suspected slaughterhouse

Four live tigers and 12 empty cages found during police raid at house 30 miles from temple in western Thailand

"Thai police have found what they believe is a slaughterhouse and tiger-holding facility used in a suspected animal trafficking network.

Investigators believe the house, in an isolated area and surrounded by tall fences, served as a holding facility and slaughterhouse,

said police colonel Montri Pancharoen, deputy commander of the crime suppression division, which oversaw the raid."

“We believe it was used by the Tiger Temple to hold live tigers before slaughtering them for their skins, meat and bones to be exported outside the country,

or sent to restaurants in Thailand that serve tiger meat to tour groups,” he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/07/tiger-temple-investigators-find-suspected-slaughterhouse-thailand

Indeed.

Four live tigers and 12 empty cages found during police raid at house 30 miles from temple in western Thailand

"Thai police have found what they believe is a slaughterhouse and tiger-holding facility used in a suspected animal trafficking network.

Investigators believe the house, in an isolated area and surrounded by tall fences, served as a holding facility and slaughterhouse,

said police colonel Montri Pancharoen, deputy commander of the crime suppression division, which oversaw the raid."

“We believe it was used by the Tiger Temple to hold live tigers before slaughtering them for their skins, meat and bones to be exported outside the country,

or sent to restaurants in Thailand that serve tiger meat to tour groups,” he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/07/tiger-temple-investigators-find-suspected-slaughterhouse-thailand

Just felt a huge sick to the stomach feeling come over me when I read " serve tiger meat to tourist groups"..... its not the aspect of eating the meat so much but the sickening realisation that their actually can be people in this world that would promote,involve and engage in this activity. Authorities should quit raiding the soapy parlours for the moment and focus on identifying and shutting down ;with lengthy custodial sentences ,those involved in promotion and provision of these services. This should be across the board for all endangered animals i.e pangolin / leopards etc etc. Should be mandatory immediate deportation and black ban for entering the Kingdom for 10 years for any tourists found partaking of this disgusting arrangement ( cant even bring myself to call it a service)........ why is it the older I get the more being marooned on a desert island cut off from the world in totality becomes more appealing . Just sickened by this.......my respect for humanity and what it is capable of doing just goes rung by rung lower.

Indeed.

if this was a police raid,has anybody been ARRESTED.or had they left the scene.

Indeed.

I doubt if the police on the scene have any idea what laws have been broken - let alone arrest anyone for breaking them. They will report back and await payment or instruction from on high.

Indeed.

The police have issued a description of the two suspects they would like to talk to. The two men are described as of average height, bare footed and shaved heads and wearing saffron colored robes.

What more evidence do they want before they arrest the head monk, a photo of him butchering one of the poor beasts ?

Sad how these corrupt clerics are Teflon coated and no one has the balls to challenge them. "If you are not too busy in the next month, and not ill, would you mind terribly popping down to the cop shop for a chat so we can absolve you of any wrong doing ?"

I am sure that the authorities would be equally even-handed with me if I was caught doing 125km on the expressway.

What more evidence do they want before they arrest the head monk, a photo of him butchering one of the poor beasts ?

Sad how these corrupt clerics are Teflon coated and no one has the balls to challenge them. "If you are not too busy in the next month, and not ill, would you mind terribly popping down to the cop shop for a chat so we can absolve you of any wrong doing ?"

I am sure that the authorities would be equally even-handed with me if I was caught doing 125km on the expressway.

"What more evidence do they want before they arrest the head monk, a photo of him butchering one of the poor beasts ?"

His location would help.

don't forget shark-fin soup another abomination of humans disgusting eating behaviour

Indeed.

Just felt a huge sick to the stomach feeling come over me when I read " serve tiger meat to tourist groups"..... its not the aspect of eating the meat so much but the sickening realisation that their actually can be people in this world that would promote,involve and engage in this activity. Authorities should quit raiding the soapy parlours for the moment and focus on identifying and shutting down ;with lengthy custodial sentences ,those involved in promotion and provision of these services. This should be across the board for all endangered animals i.e pangolin / leopards etc etc. Should be mandatory immediate deportation and black ban for entering the Kingdom for 10 years for any tourists found partaking of this disgusting arrangement ( cant even bring myself to call it a service)........ why is it the older I get the more being marooned on a desert island cut off from the world in totality becomes more appealing . Just sickened by this.......my respect for humanity and what it is capable of doing just goes rung by rung lower.

if the authorities know of restaurants selling tiger meat (which i thought was illegal) surly there must be a paper trail.--------------- but this is Thailand

Indeed.

The police have issued a description of the two suspects they would like to talk to. The two men are described as of average height, bare footed and shaved heads and wearing saffron colored robes.
post-108400-14653578959576_thumb.jpg

The Abbot should have cleaned house before he did a runner,

paperwork,dead tiger cubs,and a lot of other stuff,no money left

behind but.

regards Worgeordie

The thought is, the monks didn't think the authorities would look around, but only take the tigers. Thus the Thai saying "don't think too much". Or, just don't think?

The Abbot should have cleaned house before he did a runner,

paperwork,dead tiger cubs,and a lot of other stuff,no money left

behind but.

regards Worgeordie

The thought is, the monks didn't think the authorities would look around, but only take the tigers. Thus the Thai saying "don't think too much". Or, just don't think?

it would explain why they resisted regime change and any advice from outside over the years - but they still managed to hoodwink loads of volunteers -who worked there.

It must be a bit disappointing for those folk now when they realise that the "rigorous" interviews they undertook were not to find out how good they would be with animals but how GULLIBLE they were!