Kasikornbank “one Time Password”

Introduced for Internet Banking this is a new SMS based 2nd password system, mandatory as of the 10th Nov. It took me 4 attempts to complete a transaction as I use my phone on GPRS for internet and have to disconnect it to receive the SMS. I have 6 minutes to get the password, re connect and hope that my link to the bank and the transaction is still open. On 3 occasions the link timed out, I had to login again and start the transaction from scratch.

I have been told that they will send the SMS to an email account but had no confirmation and can’t get much sense out of them on this regard.

Rant over. :o

A hint for those yet to activate the OTP

Unless you’re a Thai forget trying the 02888 8888 number to activate the system as advertised, even the English options are difficult to understand. Phone 02888 8800 then 0 then 6.

Introduced for Internet Banking this is a new SMS based 2nd password system, mandatory as of the 10th Nov. It took me 4 attempts to complete a transaction as I use my phone on GPRS for internet and have to disconnect it to receive the SMS. I have 6 minutes to get the password, re connect and hope that my link to the bank and the transaction is still open. On 3 occasions the link timed out, I had to login again and start the transaction from scratch.

I have been told that they will send the SMS to an email account but had no confirmation and can’t get much sense out of them on this regard.

Rant over. :o

A hint for those yet to activate the OTP

Unless you’re a Thai forget trying the 02888 8888 number to activate the system as advertised, even the English options are difficult to understand. Phone 02888 8800 then 0 then 6.

I am in a similar position to you with using my mobile with GPRS with the added complication that I work offshore at times and then an SMS to my mobile is useless.

I only sent the email last night and I am not expecting a reply yet but it may be interesting.

I am in a similar position to you with using my mobile with GPRS with the added complication that I work offshore at times and then an SMS to my mobile is useless.

I only sent the email last night and I am not expecting a reply yet but it may be interesting.

They have responded to one of my emails but it skirted the issues. Your right about the SMS system in that there many situations where it will not work including overseas. They did confirm that it connects ONLY to the Thai networks.

are you saying your connection to laptop is through a cellphone?
Yes. I use either InfraRed or Bluetooth to connect my NoteBook to the internet via my Mobile Phone. No land lines in the Rice Paddies of NE Isaan. :o Edited by bdenner

the reason I asked was because I have a gprs connection for my laptop, thru a card plugged into the pcmia slot and have used this connection in LOS.

I thought this could be an alternative connection for you

It could be an alternative connection but it would mean getting an extra Sim card and AIS/DTAC account just to run GPRS for 2 or 3 hours a day. While it would not be twice the cost as it would only be used for GPRS it would be 350 baht a month for 120 hours of internet access plus the line rental plus the initial cost of the PCMCIA card. However I will be in Bangkok in a couple of weeks and I will have a look then.

:o

I'm no techie but it sounds like you may be asking more than the system was designed to do.

I've used it in Thailand and had no trouble.

I've also used it via e-mail here in North America. Thee person on the other end spoke excellent English and was most helpful.

He asked me several questions to verify my identity then e-mailed me the 1-time PW which I entered while running my e-mail program in a separate window from the K-Bank webpage.

Took me 3 attempts to get it right but that was because I didn't fully understand what to do.

3rd time was just fine and the transactions went through no trouble.

your solution is :

if in thailand

get a happy simple payg sim or true naan 2 pii (long time 2 years) payg sim - these are good for a long time so you dont have to keep topping them up - with true you have to make a call every 90 days - happy is good for a year from activationbut the offer ends next july so do a top up just before then for 1 more year. Register this number with kbank and rx the sms on this - use your existing sim and phone for gprs.

if out of thailand

you got to have global roaming - with payg it is expensive - with post pay there is a one off fee then you just have to pay monthly and you may get rollover on minutes - so so long as you have 1 thai sim with roaming you receive the sms on this and use a local method for internet access (jee whiz global roaming on a thai sim gprs is gonna be expensive !)

If they will take a close country mobile number DIGI in malaysia payg sims come with so much - including internet account access and free global roaming activation. The old trick is before you leave the country you redirect voice calls to voicemail - but this means that you can still receive sms and most operators do not charge for this whereever you are !

Edited by Khun Bob

Kbank customer service is very good - i've had some really big problems and managed to get it sorted out through the phone when well away from thailand. The most helpful are the english speaking thai blokes (if you catch my drift) and there are quite a few. Be polite and ask if they can help you. Whenever they do something make sure you thank them - say thank you frequently. Its pretty easy, but of course if you get a dragon lady (not had a bad one yet) - just leave it for a while and call again - things that you thought/were told is not possible can all change depending upon the person you are speaking too.

There are the rare times when I receive SMS and calls whilst connected to GPRS but I feel that it is very much related to the traffic on the network, IMO your phone is interfaced with the NoteBook should not make any difference, whether it be hardwired or wireless.

Anyway. An update after several conversations with the operators.

They did issue me with a SMS to email connection but it was only valid for one day. They tell me they will issue a SMS to email connection for up to 3 weeks if you can prove that you will be overseas. I'm now trying to get them to explain to me the security implications between 1 day - 3 weeks - ongoing. I might add they have been very tolerant and courteous to me.

Watch this space.