Ducati Hyperstrada -HELP NEEDED

Ok long story short, I had an off on the Hyper, thanks to being cut off in traffic. Now the insurance company is screwing me over and I have a decision to make and I would like some opinions.

Repair quote from Ducati to fix under insurance = 389'000thb

Ducati Hyperstrada worth 359'000TB

Insurance payout as 'writeoff' 300'000THB

Repair payout 70% of 300'000thb = 210'000TB - Means I would be left with 179'000tb shortfall

So basically I can allow them to write the bike off and get 300'000 payout, which is below what I paid for the bike 2 mths ago

OR

I can accept 210'000thb and organise someone to fix. My thought is that given I have the mechanical ability, what say I take that money, and repair the bike myself with 2nd hand parts sourced myself?

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you yourself are fine. If you got cut off then maybe the other party is at fault and liable for the damages caused. Did you try to get CCTV footage from the police or shops around the area?

Was it a second hand bike? As the Hyperstrada usually costs over 500k THB. 390k THB repair costs seem also pretty high unless frame/engine got damaged in which case you can forget to fix it yourself imho.

If the damage doesn't involve the electronics, engine or frame then it might be possible to do it yourself if you can source the parts somehow.

Personally, I'd try to find the guy who cut you off and if that turns out fruitless, I'd swallow the 60k loss and write it off.

I'd also change insurance to first class with proper coverage.

In any case I'll wish you luck to sort this out somehow without too much hassle and monetary loss.

I bought it 2nd hand for 359'000 only 2 mths ago. I did have 1st class insurance but my 'failure' was not noting that they were only insuring it for 300'000

The repair bill is high because they are repairing with NEW Genuine parts!!

In terms of damage, put a new radiator in it and it's ride-able.

No point in chasing the person who cut me off because of course they have no insurance, and actually had no licence either, they paid the police a 400thb fine for that, but they have got off scott free.

13315603_10154460338863268_5049174255640

13335900_10154460338733268_8653290787974

13307502_10154460338818268_4441768300720

In that case the police already got their details and they'll be helt liable for the damages in court I'd assume. So collect the 300k from insurance and try to collect 60k more from those people. What can you lose?

Get the police to charge them with reckless driving causing physical damage. Worst thing to happen is they'll find an excuse not to charge. Then you can still ignore it.

Don't let people like that get away too easily. That's how this whole mentality of driving without license and care grows in this country as they don't have to fear anything.

Aww .. Is it legally possible to recover the 60K ?

The thing is .. After accepting the offer from the insurance and repairing yourself, you could be left with a bike that's not worth all the extra + time spent on it .. It could be a bit tricky when you come to sell it and buy something new in a year or two.

I would take the money and go find another bike, lot less stress in the long run.

What a shit situation. What do Ducati want to replace - front wheel ?

From the pictures it doesn't look like a huge amount of damage. New fork leg bottom, front fender, exhaust pipe, exhaust shields, pannier.

Not clear from the pictures but was there also a leak under it? I'd expect something along the lines of about 100k.

denkiblue555: I think I can see some sliders on the pictures, they didn't help all too much though it seems.

Aww .. Is it legally possible to recover the 60K ?

The thing is .. After accepting the offer from the insurance and repairing yourself, you could be left with a bike that's not worth all the extra + time spent on it .. It could be a bit tricky when you come to sell it and buy something new in a year or two.

I would take the money and go find another bike, lot less stress in the long run.

What a shit situation. What do Ducati want to replace - front wheel ?

Front wheel alone is 70'000thb

They seem to be charging 90,000 THB for the complete standard exhaust. I think a new termi system is even cheaper.

It's a tricky situation all together. You could easily fix it for 210,000 BUT it is a bit of work and you need to be equipped.

Concerning insurance, not easy to have an insurance company pay full value.

MPK in Bangkok sells a set of forged aluminum OZ wheels for 40,000 I believe.

I could make a better bike out of it for 210,000 budget... Easily

https://www.facebook.com/mpkconcept/

Edited by Nickymaster

BTW could this be a case where they inflate prices when insurance pays like many hospitals do? Does Ducati have an official parts catalog with prices?

90k for a stock exhaust seems a bit crazy as Nickymaster pointed out.

If you'd take all the parts prices themselves, assembling a full bike would probably cost 2M baht smile.png

Edited by eisfeld

I was in the trade for 15 years in the UK with my own shop. I have a lot of experience with accident damaged bikes/ stolen recovereds.

I hate insurance companies.

I hate main dealers who only sell new bikes/new parts and have no interest in actual repair or sourcing of alternative parts.

Both are complete rip off merchants and thieves when things go tits up.

Mate of mine here had a fairly new Ducati Streetfighter written off, hit and run pick up driver, and it was a write off, frame snapped etc. His treatment by Ducati and his insurance company was nothing short of shambolic.

My 2 bahts worth, looking at the damage parts quotes and the pics; buy the bike back, and get it fixed by a good local independent mechanic if you do not have the skills yourself. I think the bike could be put back on the road for about 10-20% of that quote by repair/fixing/repainting things. Polish out damage on the ex pipe. Polish and blend in bottom slider damage if it is not structural. Repaint instead of re purchase etc etc. Purchase parts from E bay Europe etc.

Agree with guzzi. Hard to tell from those pics but most damage seems superficial. If frame, engine, and electrics OK, take the 300K from insurance. Be sure that they will not advise the DLT that the bike has been written off. If they do, you will not be able to register it again. Body work can be repaired locally. Little paint, some polish, no problem. If exhaust tube is dented, cut the dent out, reshape, weld back on. Repaint and you will not see the repair. Any parts needed can come back in your - and friends - suitcases. If as you say a new rad is all it needs to ride, get that from Duc and ride it. Sure it will not look good, but you will be riding it, and have 300K in your pocket. source the rest overseas.

Apologies if the following questions are moronic. It has only happened once that

i lost a SR 500 due to vandalism outside Dublin. The insurance reimbursed the purchase price. I had the bike broken...

Can you collect the 300 k and either repair or break it?

Am clearly ignorant of the T&Cs...

You might repair it with u s e d parts sourced in Europe?

Good luck!

Some confusion in the amounts I think.

Receive 210,000 and keep the bike.

Receive 300,000 and don't keep the bike.

Your right on the money no pun intended.

Update today after talking further with the insurance company and Ducati in BKK.

If I go and visit the insurance companies head office in BKK, with relevant paperwork they will draw a cheque for me for 210'000k (GREAT)

Ducati shop has brought the price right down, after looking over the bike with me, and repairing various items they were replacing and bringing the price down to within the 210'000 needed (WIN)

Now the nest million dollar question I need an answer to is once the insurance company pays me out, considering my insurance policy was only 1 mth old, will I still have the remainder of the 11 mths available on the policy or will they trash it on me, meaning I will need to get again new.

It sounds like you have things going your way now. As a Ducati owner myself I know that getting Ducati to repair anything is usually a costly and drawn out situation. Good luck with getting it repaired and let us know how you come out. I wouldn't bother with trying to get anything out of the guy who caused the accident, I think that you would be going to a lot of trouble for nothing.

From the pictures it doesn't look like a huge amount of damage. New fork leg bottom, front fender, exhaust pipe, exhaust shields, pannier.

Not clear from the pictures but was there also a leak under it? I'd expect something along the lines of about 100k.

denkiblue555: I think I can see some sliders on the pictures, they didn't help all too much though it seems.

Very true - my bad!

I actually meant these guys - I guess they are axle / fork bottom sliders? :

pRGuGv.jpg
But as you said, not really help that much it seems.

I can't see that bike is damaged for 389k baht?

Get the 300k baht as a write off, sue the offender for as much as you can. Was it a car/truck, it yes then they might have some money.

I have never heard of a farang individual successfully sue-ing in a Thai court.

Would like to.

I wrote off a heavily modified bike decades ago. I broke my leg so friends came round to put it back to std before the ins' co' got it. When the damage estimate came through it included both wheels - which were not actually on the bike when the accident occurred!